Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Keystoned posted:

Yes? When you buy a house in a subdivision specifically because of the low traffic so you dont have to worry about your kids getting ran over by some distracted rear end in a top hat commuter staring at his phone trying to save 45 seconds on his trip while facebooking and spamming skip on spotify, yeah, id be pissed.

Granted i live in a low traffice area in loving kansas but i can tell you if my neighborhoods traffic suddenly skyrocketed because of a google algorithim id be pissed, especially because the number one selling point for us was the lack of traffic and safety.

But seriously, gently caress those people who arent me, they should have foreseen this would happen amiright!

I live in LA and I know the exact intersection being discussed, as I've been stranded there by Waze myself. It is not in a subdivision in the way that you're picturing. It's a string of expensive houses on the side of a mountain. There is no pedestrian traffic whatsoever and effectively zero kids living there. It's almost all wealthy retirees/empty nesters. No one who lives there lives there "for the traffic," because that's an insane idea anywhere in LA, and also these are showpiece houses for millionaires, not a neighborhood.

It's a steep and narrow road and navigation apps have made it effectively impassable in any reasonable time at rush hour. People can't get out of their driveways, emergency vehicles can't get through. It's bad, just not for the weirdo NIMBY reasons you're coming up with over there in Kansas. I'd hate to see you react to anything actually beneficial to society, like public transit.

And for gently caress's sake, keep your kids out of the street. "Distracted rear end in a top hat commuters" shouldn't even have the option of hitting them. Put that anxiety disorder of yours to some practical use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Maybe slightly late, but didn't most of the Radium or Nuclear products have a complete lack of anything actually active? It was my understanding that it was more just marketing speak at the time, and getting used as dumb ad copy because your average shmuck lacked the means to actually tell if their irradiated hemorrhoid massager actually emitted anything.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Agrinja posted:

Maybe slightly late, but didn't most of the Radium or Nuclear products have a complete lack of anything actually active? It was my understanding that it was more just marketing speak at the time, and getting used as dumb ad copy because your average shmuck lacked the means to actually tell if their irradiated hemorrhoid massager actually emitted anything.

Maybe in some cases, but definitely not entirely.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WickedHate posted:

Maybe in some cases, but definitely not entirely.

If your were poor, you got false advertising and no radium.

If you were rich, you got real radium and no jaw.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Platystemon posted:

If your were poor, you got false advertising and no radium.

If you were rich, you got real radium and no jaw.

The good old days. :allears:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
A few of my favorite historical ads. The bottom two I've come across in my work in 19th century newspapers in Virginia. The third one I cannot imagine was received well (yes, it's from 1865), but what do I know.

joshtothemaxx has a new favorite as of 07:27 on Feb 4, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Especially Irish children, what?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Especially Irish children, what?

For a Swift recovery.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Many of those are fake. Real picture, fake copy.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

joshtothemaxx posted:

A few of my favorite historical ads. The bottom two I've come across in my work in 19th century newspapers in Virginia. The third one I cannot imagine was received well (yes, it's from 1865), but what do I know.

I'm not American, but if the store's in a Union state, I'd imagine it'd be okay unless a reader has relatives in Richmond.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Agrinja posted:

That sounds possible. Even the things with radium (watch dials and such) probably didn't have enough to really affect the person buying it. But it did gently caress up a lot of people in factories who applied radium paint to things.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2004-08/healthy-glow-drink-radiation

Some were deadly in large enough doses, plenty were complete hogwash, but all of them demonstrated how the average person didn't understand the impact of actual radioactive elements.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
People still don't. Just look at this thread and how people are freaking out because something says Radium on it.

Scary scary radiation!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Johnny Aztec posted:

People still don't. Just look at this thread and how people are freaking out because something says Radium on it.

Scary scary radiation!

Um yes? Radiation and nuclear power plants are all evil and shouldn't be used, let's stick to the healthy coal power plants. :911:

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Scary scary radiation!

To be fair, these forums have always had issues with Radium.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Len posted:

Um yes? Radiation and nuclear power plants are all evil and shouldn't be used, let's stick to the healthy coal power plants. :911:

It's really twisted that coal puts more radiation out than nuclear but nobody ever talks about it. Radiation can be bad fine whatever but coal still puts more of that our than nuclear so wouldn't nuclear still make more sense even if it is all about 'omg atoms' ?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

KakerMix posted:

It's really twisted that coal puts more radiation out than nuclear but nobody ever talks about it. Radiation can be bad fine whatever but coal still puts more of that our than nuclear so wouldn't nuclear still make more sense even if it is all about 'omg atoms' ?

Healthy. Coal. Plants. :911:

This message brought to you by Big Coal

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Hedningen posted:

To be fair, these forums have always had issues with Radium.

Nice!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Because the word coal sounds almost benign and lovely compared to radiation. Dickens used the lack of using enough coal to demonstrate how miserly Scrooge was. Radiation didn't get the rosy veneer of usefulness. Jaws straight up falling off and people melting in Chernobyl-type situations just have more impact than black lung I suppose? I agree with you, but there's a certain...finality that radiation poisoning leaves people with compared to slowly dying of various coal-related cancers.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Feb 5, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Also worst case scenario a single coal plant can only put out so much radiation whereas a nuclear power plant can put out a whole lot more.

But if you come back a little while later there will only be half as much.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

fizzymercy posted:

Because the word coal sounds almost benign and lovely compared to radiation. Dickens used the lack of using enough coal to demonstrate how miserly Scrooge was. Radiation didn't get the rosy veneer of usefulness. Jaws straight up falling off and people melting in Chernobyl-type situations just have more impact than black lung I suppose? I agree with you, but there's a certain...finality that radiation poisoning leaves people with compared to slowly dying of various coal-related cancers.

Nuclear is new.

Coal isn't.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Nuclear is new.

Coal isn't.

You have to be at least a septuagenarian to remember a pre‐atomic age.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Feb 5, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Platystemon posted:

You have to be at least a septuagenarian to remember a pre‐atomic age.

Popular consciousness moves slowly on things.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Popular consciousness moves slowly on things.

People are dumb

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
When Nuclear Power fails the results tend to be more spectacular, and the human brain zones on the more spectacular. It's why people are more afraid of airplanes than driving, in addition to feeling like they're in control, in a car crash usually only a handful of people die. When a plane goes down, dozens if not over a hundred can die.

Coal does more harm on a daily basis but it lacks the oomph of a good nuclear meltdown.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RagnarokAngel posted:

When Nuclear Power fails the results tend to be more spectacular, and the human brain zones on the more spectacular. It's why people are more afraid of airplanes than driving, in addition to feeling like they're in control, in a car crash usually only a handful of people die. When a plane goes down, dozens if not over a hundred can die.

Counterpoint: the Tōhoku Tsunami was way more spectacular than the Fukushima Daiichi meltdown, but the meltdown got more attention.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Platystemon posted:

Counterpoint: the Tōhoku Tsunami was way more spectacular than the Fukushima Daiichi meltdown, but the meltdown got more attention.

It was great when the multiple, multi-DAY oil refinery fires were completely ignored. Hundreds of thousands of gallons of oil burning non-stop for days on end in a massive firestorm is way more spectacular than a damaged nuclear plant that mostly just sat there while it was taken care of.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

CommissarMega posted:

I'm not American, but if the store's in a Union state, I'd imagine it'd be okay unless a reader has relatives in Richmond.

Surprisingly, this was from a Virginia newspaper.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Coal does more harm on a daily basis but it lacks the oomph of a good nuclear meltdown.

That's the reason why people are so loving terrified of terrorism in the US despite the fact the damage they could do is much less than what our own citizens can.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I would love to see a marketing campaign aimed at promoting radium enhanced clean coal.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

joshtothemaxx posted:

I am heartened to discover you can be on year 5 of a bloody civil war that's killed your youth, ruined your economy, made your currency all but worthless, and yet people are still excited about store sales.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

joshtothemaxx posted:

i'm from virginia, and i'm not surprised at all really

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I am heartened to discover you can be on year 5 of a bloody civil war that's killed your youth, ruined your economy, made your currency all but worthless, and yet people are still excited about store sales.

Get a new jacket with one sleeve half-off.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I can see Walmart, a few years from now:

"New York's been hit, and we're NUKING our prices!"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Schubalts posted:

It was great when the multiple, multi-DAY oil refinery fires were completely ignored. Hundreds of thousands of gallons of oil burning non-stop for days on end in a massive firestorm is way more spectacular than a damaged nuclear plant that mostly just sat there while it was taken care of.

Coal has never had a Chernobyl-level incident that is still loving up everything around it. Granted at this point that's basically impossible thanks to new reactor designs but people remember that.

Granted the other side of it is that the fossil fuel industry has very deep pockets, is very old, and really like spending money making everybody else hate anything else.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The other side of that is that a poo poo load of car crashes happen every day. "Coal plant produces a poo poo load of ash, it goes somewhere" just isn't newsworthy because it always happens. Same with crashes; chances are the only people that care are the ones that have the road they're using/are going to use today blocked off and need a different route. Car crashes are also usually not deadly. I've been in like three of them and none of them have led to injuries.

Plane crashes and nuclear meltdowns don't happen very often so they're big news. People actually see them but car crashes, unless they're massive and kill dozens of people, are common as hell. poo poo happens every day. Plane crashes do not.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm from virginia, and i'm not surprised at all really

I spent two years in Virginia as a child and even then I knew that most of the state hated Richmond.

hyperhazard posted:

I can see Walmart, a few years from now:

"New York's been hit, and we're NUKING our prices!"

Bowling Green has massacred deals.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think it was a lot easier for the nature of warfare to be underappreciated until after WW2. Sure, someone you love could die, but they could also die any number of things so why blame the abstract concept of war specifically? In the Civil War specifically people would literally make picnics across from battlefields like they were watching a fireworks show on the fourth of July. So, I don't think it's too out of place in that era.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah but the Confederacy was bad.

If I were a German retailer in 1945, you bet I’d have a “Hitler shot himself and only had one ball LOL” sale.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Coal has never had a Chernobyl-level incident that is still loving up everything around it.

Centralia

Buffalo creek

Aberfan

No, they’re not exactly the same thing, but I’d rather live in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone that draw my water downstream of most mines.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Feb 5, 2017

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

WickedHate posted:

I think it was a lot easier for the nature of warfare to be underappreciated until after WW2. Sure, someone you love could die, but they could also die any number of things so why blame the abstract concept of war specifically? In the Civil War specifically people would literally make picnics across from battlefields like they were watching a fireworks show on the fourth of July. So, I don't think it's too out of place in that era.

I think it's more just human nature to seek out dangerous poo poo like that. Don't tell me that, if the public was given notice, hundreds wouldn't flock to watch a nuclear bomb being dropped, having a picnic on a nearby hill side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I think it's more just human nature to seek out dangerous poo poo like that. Don't tell me that, if the public was given notice, hundreds wouldn't flock to watch a nuclear bomb being dropped, having a picnic on a nearby hill side.

That is a thing that happened regularly, because the testing range was right outside Vegas. You bet your rear end people had parties to watch those things go off.