Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Gun batteries are the glorious orgy of excess that are typical of everything in end game Fall of the Samurai.

They are great fun and I'm sad you get to use them so rarely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I broke the game over my knee in FotS for the first time in any Total War and it was the best, income high enough for star forts and gun batteries everywhere plus gold accuracy armies murdering everything. It was on Very Hard/Very Hard and I had a few false starts so getting to that stage was fantastic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a shame that every Fall of the Samurai campaign gets bogged down by endless tedious naval battles by the end. And the autoresolve hates you, so a single wooden gunboat will put three ironclads out of commission if you don't personally fight every. single. battle.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

I broke the game over my knee in FotS for the first time in any Total War and it was the best, income high enough for star forts and gun batteries everywhere plus gold accuracy armies murdering everything. It was on Very Hard/Very Hard and I had a few false starts so getting to that stage was fantastic.

Yeah, im reaching the skyrocketing economy stage. The only reason I didn't hit it earlier was due to only having one trade good to export. Fortunately the nagoka or whatevers commerce bonus combined with the gold and silver mines i have will fill in the slack decently enough. Only limit i have right now is that I do all my recruiting from one city because it has a gunsmith and im currently putting in a training camp :getin:

edit: now that I think about it not having all my income come from trade is good since it means I can ignore the million trade route raiders that will inevitably show up

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's a shame that every Fall of the Samurai campaign gets bogged down by endless tedious naval battles by the end. And the autoresolve hates you, so a single wooden gunboat will put three ironclads out of commission if you don't personally fight every. single. battle.

If you have any reasonable kind of income by the end, you can just build the relatively cheap ships (copper-plated frigattes or whatever) and make full fleets of those for auto resolve ez wins. Maybe have an ironclad fleet running around for when you feel like actually playing a battle.

Agean90 posted:

Yeah, im reaching the skyrocketing economy stage. The only reason I didn't hit it earlier was due to only having one trade good to export. Fortunately the nagoka or whatevers commerce bonus combined with the gold and silver mines i have will fill in the slack decently enough. Only limit i have right now is that I do all my recruiting from one city because it has a gunsmith and im currently putting in a training camp :getin:

edit: now that I think about it not having all my income come from trade is good since it means I can ignore the million trade route raiders that will inevitably show up

Protip: Make the artillery part of your line so the AI will see it as a weak point but deploy gatling guns in the middle and carbine cav just behind them :getin:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
God I am itching to reinstall Fall, but I've not even seriously got into a Rome 2 campaign yet. I'm awkwardly on the sidelines looking for a mod that brings back a few old school TW mechanics for it. Not a fan of the constant running.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SeanBeansShako posted:

God I am itching to reinstall Fall, but I've not even seriously got into a Rome 2 campaign yet. I'm awkwardly on the sidelines looking for a mod that brings back a few old school TW mechanics for it. Not a fan of the constant running.

There's a mod to disable forced match for pretty much every TW game that has different stances, if that's what you mean.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ZearothK posted:

There's a mod to disable forced match for pretty much every TW game that has different stances, if that's what you mean.

Nope, the whole 'running full pelt doesn't tire the soldiers out' thing in the actual battle. I'm not really a fan of the unit speeds in the actual battle map.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Reinstall Fall and have a blast. If you find the Rome 2 mod that does what you need then great, you can always abandon the Fall campaign. No real reason to not reinstall and play Fall if you have a hankering though.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
So about Attila, how do the religious things in the upper part of Himyars military tech tree work?
Do the effect from the latter ones stack or replace earlier versions? Can you get both the Judaism and Pagan ones?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So I got tired of the bad anti-aliasing in Rome 2 even on max settings and learned how to force the game into 4K resolution. Looked much better, so I decided to try it out in Attila for kicks, and for some reason, it upped my performance in that game considerably. Like literally the only thing I did was kick up the resolution and I was actually topping out the framerate on that game for once.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Playing some OG Rome Total War as the Carthaginians. Quite a tricky fight with them, since they really don't get many decent infantry options until hitting the Poeni infantry. You really need to use your elephants to smash a hole in the enemy lines and then flood them with lovely infantry. Both the Sacred Cavalry and Sacred Band Phalanxes are pretty drat solid though.

I did a fun swing north and took Massilia and Narbo Martius from rebels and Gauls. Apparently attacking rebel settlements was enough for the Julii to send me a message that they were mad at me for "transgressions" (aka blocking their expansion), and now I'm having a huge naval war against the Julii and Scipii factions.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nostalgia drew me to play ME2:TW again-- who knew you could eat your way out of the black plague, since apparently farms are the most important building in this game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Corpses make the best fertilizer.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

jokes posted:

Nostalgia drew me to play ME2:TW again-- who knew you could eat your way out of the black plague, since apparently farms are the most important building in this game.

Each farm upgrade is +60 gold per one, per level and +0.5 growth rate per one per level. Plague itself is a massive negative mod to pop growth. You'd need more than just farms to counter it. High Chivalry general(But of course they could die from it), the Mayor's house line gives +health, I think the Church line gives some +health at the highest levels. The Islamics get the hospital line for more +health, so they're better protected.

There are better sources of money, but pretty much anywhere can build Farms. The first 2 upgrades pay off in 10 and 20 turns, so they're certainly worth it. The last two...2400 is 40 turns, 4800 is 80. How many turns do you get, again?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There is absolutely nothing worse than shogun 2 naval battles. Is there a mod to remove/make better? I couldn't find one. I'm tired of having to battle out at 3x speed otherwise the autoresolve will murder my nubian trade ships. I'd be happy with a 100% autowin via autoresolve as that's where this particular game is.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I just cracked open my Age of Charlemagne campaign last night after leaving it for a couple months. Emirate of Cordoba.

It took me 30 minutes or so to get up to speed, and remember what all I had going on. I played a couple battles vs. raiders, and made peace with Charlemagne as 2 armies were about to join the siege of one of the cities I stole.

Then I sent over a fleet to Palma to take the last region in the province, autoresolved and roll credits on a short victory.
Then I remembered that my autosave was probably from just before that moment, and that I didn't abandon the save because I didn't finish it, but I abandoned the save because I did finish it :downs:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So since they're teasing Arena again with Dev Diaries, I've started writing up a new OP for a new thread. Besides obvious stuff like giving more information on newer and older games and putting in some game guides, is there anything anyone would like to see in a new OP?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Haha, jonesing so hard to do the OP.

Go nuts, little guy.

A quick tip, the problem with the OP is not that it needs more information, but that it needs less. It's a very low traffic thread that stops TW queries getting lost in the much faster moving main thread, it's not meant to be some hugely informational set-piece like the main thread. No-one reads all that stuff about any given game it's really just there for historical interest.

Koramei did some great stuff about Rome 2 and Atilla, you should see if he's happy to let you re-use that and save yourself some time.

All you really need in the OP is the Thread approved(tm) game purchase list:
1. Warhammer
2. Shogun 2
3. You will know what 3 is when you play 1 and 2.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

shalcar posted:

Go nuts, little guy.

A quick tip, the problem with the OP is not that it needs more information, but that it needs less. It's a very low traffic thread that stops TW queries getting lost in the much faster moving main thread, it's not meant to be some hugely informational set-piece like the main thread. No-one reads all that stuff about any given game it's really just there for historical interest.

Koramei did some great stuff about Rome 2 and Atilla, you should see if he's happy to let you re-use that and save yourself some time.

1. Warhammer
2. Shogun 2

Sorry, I didn't notice you still posted. Didn't want to seem rude or pushy.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

shalcar posted:

Go nuts, little guy.

1. Warhammer
2. Shogun 2

Medieval 1, right? Still love my little stickfig armies fightin', and 9-star generals destroying armies by themselves

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Medieval 1, right? Still love my little stickfig armies fightin', and 9-star generals destroying armies by themselves

Look at this right as all hell opinion. I would still argue they have never done the world map or title/leader/nobility system as well as medieval 1. It had some really great ideas that I'm sad got dropped in the later games.

Although honestly my point was more that while I might say medieval 1, SBS would probably say Napoleon while Koramei would likely say Atilla. All are right, depending on your point of view, because they all do some part of the total war experience better than the others.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I played Medieval 1 a bit again when it got re-released on Steam and it still stands up really well on the campaign map side. The battle interface is the biggest sticking point, camera controls especially; if that got revamped it would still be a very playable game in all respects (even with those graphics).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

As much as I love NTW and some elements of ETW, the first Medieval really is a solid standalone experience that still kicks arse today. I think the STEAM release is mod friendly?

Feel free to just break down my wordy description of the gun powder games for the new OP. At this point though if somebody gets hooked with this series, I honestly say sit back and wait for the STEAM sale and cherry pick to whatever you like.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

shalcar posted:

Look at this right as all hell opinion. I would still argue they have never done the world map or title/leader/nobility system as well as medieval 1. It had some really great ideas that I'm sad got dropped in the later games.

Although honestly my point was more that while I might say medieval 1, SBS would probably say Napoleon while Koramei would likely say Atilla. All are right, depending on your point of view, because they all do some part of the total war experience better than the others.

I'm kind of disappointed they didn't carry the siege mechanics from Attila forward into Warhammer. I mean I know Warhammer is meant to be simpler in general to focus more on the actual combat, but there are so many artillery/siege weapon options yet you can't use them to just burn a city down.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

As much as I love NTW and some elements of ETW, the first Medieval really is a solid standalone experience that still kicks arse today. I think the STEAM release is mod friendly?

Feel free to just break down my wordy description of the gun powder games for the new OP. At this point though if somebody gets hooked with this series, I honestly say sit back and wait for the STEAM sale and cherry pick to whatever you like.

If Napoleon were to get some updating to fix some of the clunkiness in the controls, it could very well be my favorite game in the series. I love setting up the screening skirmishers and different formations. If they ever did do another gun TW game, I'd like to see offensive tactics given a bit more love. It gets a little dull just forcing the enemy to charge your impenetrable defense all the time.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've been playing Rome again recently. Sometimes you get some magical things happen in the campaigns:

The gates are open! Let's drop all of our siege equipment and run through the hole. Surely nothing bad can happen.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

There is absolutely nothing worse than shogun 2 naval battles. Is there a mod to remove/make better? I couldn't find one. I'm tired of having to battle out at 3x speed otherwise the autoresolve will murder my nubian trade ships. I'd be happy with a 100% autowin via autoresolve as that's where this particular game is.

shogun 2 naval battles are the poo poo though. A shame the AI is bad at research, the moment you get exploding shells it becomes a matter of not if you when, but how quickly as the AI never builds armored ships it seems.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Agean90 posted:

shogun 2 naval battles are the poo poo though. A shame the AI is bad at research, the moment you get exploding shells it becomes a matter of not if you when, but how quickly as the AI never builds armored ships it seems.

In fots or am I missing something I'm the base?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Base game shogun 2 ai knows how to build fleets and fire arrows are amazing. FOTS naval battles can be fun but only in a 1/500 chance that the enemy sends a true fleet and not 1-2 shifty wooden gunboats in successive waves that you need to manually destroy because the auto resolve hates your boats in Fall

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

In fots or am I missing something I'm the base?

Yeah, fots for auto corrected or something

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

kingturnip posted:

I've been playing Rome again recently. Sometimes you get some magical things happen in the campaigns:

The gates are open! Let's drop all of our siege equipment and run through the hole. Surely nothing bad can happen.

In Medieval 2 I did this sort of thing vs the Mongols and other cavalry-heavy armies on siege defense. What's that, the gate is down? Let's charge right through! ...Into the stakes I planted right behind the gates with a unit of longbows.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So have any of the total conversion mods for RTW2 and Attila come out yet? I love stomping around in the Old World and blowing up elves with artillery, but sometimes I miss the marching of legionaries and brutal pike massacres.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Still on R:TW and I just had the Armenians throw 75% of their remaining forces away by attacking me in a field battle when they had a city nearby that would have been a whole lot more difficult to take.
2200 kills vs 75. Good job, lads.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

gently caress radious mod.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Just watched indyprides video for a LOTR atilla conversion and I can see why atilla runs so poorly: it's freaking gorgeous. The unit detail and lighting makes Warhammer look like a muddy cartoon

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Roobanguy posted:

Never play Radious. It's the best way.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
What I can see: both armies crippled, the enemy has 5000, you had 1000, you were a balanced force.

You're going to have to explain it, because I don't 'get it'. Wait: what the hell was the enemy army composition that it had 5000, anyway?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

Looks like you forgot to screen your artillery with gatling guns and have a line of carbine cav behind them :hist101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ammanas posted:

Just watched indyprides video for a LOTR atilla conversion and I can see why atilla runs so poorly: it's freaking gorgeous. The unit detail and lighting makes Warhammer look like a muddy cartoon

Unit detail in Attila is incredible. However the base lighting in the game is a ruddy yellow brown which has a bad side effect of blurring all those details together. One of the first things to do in the game is get a mod that removes the vanilla light filter.