Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dewgy posted:

While I totally agree, it's got kind of a weird outsider art vibe to it. I think a lot of the negative feelings around it stem from that it had to be marketed somehow, which is just wrong for a project like that.

"YEAH! CANCER! GET SOME! #OUYA" was... not the best thing for it.

It's probably the most art-game art-game ever, if just because I don't think I've ever really seen a video game that was 100% not designed to be entertaining. It's an expression of the creators' grief more than anything else, which is really kind of fascinating. Even other art games are made by people who wanted to make art, TDC was made just because they didn't know what else to do to cope.

It's got to be weird to be the other people working on the game who weren't the kid's parents though.

"How was your work today, honey?"

"Oh, it was fine. I put the finishing touches on modeling my boss' wife for the kart-racing minigame and then I had to program the recordings of my boss' midnight vigil from when his child died to play in a virtual cathedral that serves as a shrine to his dead child."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Father :gas:coigne

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

Dewgy posted:

"YEAH! CANCER! GET SOME! #OUYA" was... not the best thing for it.

Oh yeah, hooking their carriages to that train-wreck certainly did not help.

Oh, poo poo! Now that I think of it, the whole OUYA debacle was (in a way) a precursor to America's current political woes! Obvious misinformation, broken promises, mysterious donations, cover-ups, and everyone at the top making all the money with no repercussions. :tinfoil:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Japan makes good games again guys

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bicyclops posted:

Real sad story, huh? Well what about the mom that lies dead near him on that roof?

What about the rights of that little girl?

I mean, that's why it's a sad story, it's classical tragedy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Japan makes good games again guys

They always did

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

They always did

Senran Kagura exists so there was definitely a low point but hopefully we are past it now

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dewgy posted:

I think the fact that the kid actually died during its development takes it from pretentious to genuinely tragic. It's less an art piece and more watching someone cope in real time.
That's always what it was about. But it's been video game "Oscar bait" ever since it first got picked up by the media. To be fair the pretentiousness pretty much lies entirely at their feet.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My copy of No Man's Sky just came in, looking forward to it!
shoulda got Astroneer instead

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No Man's Pie

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No Man's Pie in the Sky

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ekster posted:

Never understood the appeal of MMOs personally, it's like single player games except with worse gameplay and I personally find random gamers to be some of the worst people to socialize with on the planet. I understand that it can be fun to play with friends or maybe if you find a nice guild or something but to be fair almost anything is fun with friends.

Planetside 1 was by far, without question, the most amazing game I have ever played (with good people). Organizing a 6-galaxy-dropship-full raid on an enemy continent and taking over a central base by draining the power to 0, then defending from the resulting hordes of enemy players was unbelievably satisfying the likes I have never had in any other game. It's a shame planetside 2 isn't as good for that, despite being technically superior.

WoW was actually pretty fun with a decent guild too, and it was just relaxing to shoot the poo poo while putzing around an easy instance or doing some gimmick raid (crossroads takeover was the standby back in the day). There's always assholes sure, but the not shitheads I met were super fun to chat with and I still talk to a decent number of them today on steam nearly a decade later.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
welp, time to blow your goddamn mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjm8P8utT5g&hd=1

http://tasvideos.org/5384S.html

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CrashCat posted:

That's always what it was about. But it's been video game "Oscar bait" ever since it first got picked up by the media. To be fair the pretentiousness pretty much lies entirely at their feet.

Yeah, I think that just inevitably gets dragged out because of how long it takes to make a game, plus they had to actually deal with their kid having cancer at the same time. Kind of a no-win situation.

Unrelated: I'm surprised by how much fun RE5 is. It's definitely not a timeless classic like RE4 was, but it's a real good time in co-op and beating the game for infinite ammo really makes it a blast afterwards. Going Dirty Harry style in my Chris playthrough while wearing a dumb as gently caress zebra outfit is pretty great.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

TAS, the blackest of magic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Videogames

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Who care

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Me care

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't really

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone ever wish they didn't spend twenty thousand hours playing video games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yes, I wish it was 30,000

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone ever wish they didn't spend twenty thousand hours playing video games

No because I am cool.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

No, that's a bad use of a wish

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Help Im Alive posted:

If I were to go down that road I might as well regret every waking hour that wasn't spent improving myself. And if I did that I might as well just end it all!

But instead I will continue to play video games and anticipate the Switch and Breath of the Wild.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Play games

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Help Im Alive posted:

What else am I supposed to do with my miserable life

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Like if you're playing a video game right now!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Like if you're playing a video game right now!

I'm going to play SMTIVA while the Super Bowl is on.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It's a Wonderful Life except the angel shows you a world without video games, and boy does it suck

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

It's not like o have anything better to do

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I remember my grandfather saying how boring it was staring at each other in the evening back when they had no radio even, in response to how television 'ruined' everything.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The craziest part of this to me is that some guy sat down and did this for fun. Like, he got a gameboy color to play a spongebob clip in pokemon yellow and his reasoning for doing it was "yeah, this'll be neat!"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

tap my mountain posted:

It's a Wonderful Life except the angel shows you a world without video games, and boy does it suck

:smithicide:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I only regret that I have but one life to spend playing video games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just be like me and regret that you were ever born, then the rest will seem like small potatoes

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

I only regret that I have but one life to spend playing video games.

kill me

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I like how AssCreed got a full three slots in this image.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Ch6N8QT00

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish games had female characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

That picture is suspiciously missing something from fallout