Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Larrymer posted:

What the hell, where is the engine? They put some paneling over it in the trunk?

It's a mid-engine car, the engine is in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

Well with any (bad) luck, I'll be the proud owner of this rebuilt Boxster S in a day:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/192091828452
I don't think it's necessarily a bad price at $7800.

That looks great! How bad was the damage/repair?

Taking out the Cayman for a Sunday drive today. I will never get tired of the sound the sports exhaust makes. :getin:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Well with any (bad) luck, I'll be the proud owner of this rebuilt Boxster S in a day:

I'm really curious if a 13 year old Boxster S is cheaper or more expensive to run than an 80s Ferrari.

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost

Larrymer posted:

What the hell, where is the engine? They put some paneling over it in the trunk?

wallaka posted:

To illustrate:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

wallaka posted:

Yep, but how much poo poo do you have to remove to even get to the engine? Seems like that would be a total pain to work on unless you did everything from underneath.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Yep, but how much poo poo do you have to remove to even get to the engine?

Just 1 thing.

You remove the car from the engine. Then everything is easy.

Same as a 911.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Motronic posted:

Just 1 thing.

You remove the car from the engine. Then everything is easy.

Same as a 911.

No way, there is a second really simple way to get to the engine in a 911 which is to completely dismantle the rear body of the vehicle

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm really curious if a 13 year old Boxster S is cheaper or more expensive to run than an 80s Ferrari.

Way cheaper in the UK.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

That'd be a fun low-stress gokart for 4 figures, I hope you get it.

edit: found a good accident history car http://www.ebay.com/itm/232227468778

although seriously that's going to be a steal for someone at that price

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 5, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

No way, there is a second really simple way to get to the engine in a 911 which is to completely dismantle the rear body of the vehicle

I suppose......but while I was obviously being sarcastic, dropping a 911 motor isn't really all that bad.

(oh god, I actually believe that. Is that what stockholm syndrome feels like?)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

I suppose......but while I was obviously being sarcastic, dropping a 911 motor isn't really all that bad.

Stuttgart syndrome.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

more precisely it's not that bad compared to what you have to do/pay once it's dropped

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jymmybob posted:

Weirdly, while I think it's fine to have a 996 Turbo, somehow the fried egg headlamps on a GT2 or even GT3 spec car doesn't work for me. I guess the Turbo doesn't have very aggressive front-end aero, which works better with the overall smooth aesthetic?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jymmybob posted:

$75k insurance claim :eyepop:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Weirdly, while I think it's fine to have a 996 Turbo, somehow the fried egg headlamps on a GT2 or even GT3 spec car doesn't work for me. I guess the Turbo doesn't have very aggressive front-end aero, which works better with the overall smooth aesthetic?

That's also a techart kit but for me they look bad when they get too low so it looks almost square from dead on and the GT2 bumper has those baby drive planes molded in that make the nose look droopy while turbo bumpers are level and lead into the skirts. I'm a sucker for techart wings and their side skirts follow the door line perfectly but their front bumpers are :butt:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

That looks great! How bad was the damage/repair?

Taking out the Cayman for a Sunday drive today. I will never get tired of the sound the sports exhaust makes. :getin:

Yup, that confirms it. I'm going to keep driving this thing as long as I don't have kids can.

Jan 11, 2004

Jymmybob posted:

It's already killed its last owner and now it wants more souls

Jan 11, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

$75k insurance claim :eyepop:

Many high end low production sports cars can be totaled by relatively low speed frontal collisions. Similar example a youtuber with a Ferrari 458 had a $175k accident when someone hit him at an intersection

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
:toot:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Never owned a Ferrari, but I honestly can't see how a Boxster wouldn't be cheaper by a wide margin, and almost certainly be more reliable at the same time.. if not as stylish.

It's 70% a 911 and other than the :siren:ims hysteria:siren: of which they also suffer (potentially even more so than the 911) they really are a pretty reliable car.

Sure OEM parts are expensive by domestic/Japanese standards, BUT, a a surprisingly decent selection of aftermarket options are available for most wear parts and enough of them are made that used OEM parts aren't almost impossible.

While some OEM parts are scary as gently caress (I think a new M96 crate motor from Porsche is something like $40K, $11K for a reman) the stuff you wear out and go through isn't that bad. Remember my AOS saga a few months back? I think, all told, I spent about $750-$1000max in parts, and that included the timing tensioners, IMS, belt, tensioners battery cables, fluids, doo-dads. It wasn't that bad considering all the work I did. If I had to pay someone for labor, that would have been pretty scary but I can't imagine a sexy italian would have been cheaper.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I got outbid yday, and was cool with that. But then the nagging doubt of missing out on a deal for a cheap fun car ate me up, and I rebid. $8300 plus trip to go get the car, plus glass windshield replacement.
Watch some cool Lotus 7 clone go for $15k on BaT now :(

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That seems like a nice buy for a car you can drive without worry. (Of financial ruin not being stranded). You just want to slam down one of those stacks of 100s and ask for change don't you.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

I got outbid yday, and was cool with that. But then the nagging doubt of missing out on a deal for a cheap fun car ate me up, and I rebid. $8300 plus trip to go get the car, plus glass windshield replacement.
Watch some cool Lotus 7 clone go for $15k on BaT now :(

It's probably a nice feeling that the boxster costs about the same as the upcoming 348 service. I bet it's a bunch of fun too but I've never been in one.

edit: bbbuuuut why http://www.ebay.com/itm/132085306980

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 7, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

That seems like a nice buy for a car you can drive without worry. (Of financial ruin not being stranded). You just want to slam down one of those stacks of 100s and ask for change don't you.

No lie, if I hadn't deposited the money, and the car were local, I would absolutely show up to pay cash money.

Jan 11, 2004
New ride, took months waiting to pounce on the right car and so far it's been amazing

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Noice and congrats. Specifics?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That killed its last owner joke sure still is relevant.

Jan 11, 2004

slidebite posted:

Noice and congrats. Specifics?

2015 base 991.1 PDK with glass roof, premium interior and sound bullshit, 20" S wheels. No PSE or sport chrono.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's a hell of a cape. :)

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Very good looking car.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah really sexy man. Digging the white, almost never see a white Porsche up here other than a Cayenne. Get a good deal?

More pics!

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

That killed its last owner joke sure still is relevant.

To be fair I'm pretty GT2s were actually designed to kill their owners

Jan 11, 2004

slidebite posted:

Yeah really sexy man. Digging the white, almost never see a white Porsche up here other than a Cayenne. Get a good deal?

More pics!

I think so.... I paid the least I was able to for a similarly optioned car with a lot of factory warranty left based on exhaustive autotrader/cargurus searching and held out for the glass on white which I decided was a must have. If there was a super low miles/late warranty date or CPO 2014 available at the time I might have gone for that as well. More fundamentally after driving all three an annoying number of times at the local dealerships I decided the Carrera was the best value proposition and that the S/4S weren't worth the huge price premium. A 14 4S with 13k more miles that I shopped was going to run me about $18k more out the door.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

New ride, took months waiting to pounce on the right car and so far it's been amazing

Nice to see it here. :)

I think there are 3 of us in this thread now with white cars.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Looks amazing. Very nicely balanced in white and the rims are spot on.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Get this man some clear LED side markers stat

Jan 11, 2004

various cheeses posted:

Get this man some clear LED side markers stat

I'm thinking about that and clear tail lights

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I personally don't usually have an issue with orange, but I have to agree clear would look good on that.

Also, god drat
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/porsche-cayenne-turbo-2004/1238009776?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Used Cayennes aren't worth poo poo, I'm seeing some non-turbos for 6-8k locally.

My parents are sitting on their 2015 Diesel with 5k miles waiting for a buyback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh yeah, for sure. Cayennes value fall to the floor faster than a crack whore although not quite that cheap up here. $15K :canada: for a fairly low mileage Turbo is drat cheap.. for here at least. (71K Miles for $11,500 about US.