Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Also, while I'm thinking about it, the new Hawkeye is pretty good stuff. I'm a sucker for the faux 1970s-paperback covers, but the story's fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Hawkeye is great, I love the tone of the book, it's complementary to the Fraction run without outright aping the style. The question I want answered is who is taking care of Lucky?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

rantmo posted:

Hawkeye is great, I love the tone of the book, it's complementary to the Fraction run without outright aping the style. The question I want answered is who is taking care of Lucky?

Relax, he's attending Avengers Academy.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

He got the job after Mephisto did that, I'm pretty sure. Although it would've been pretty hilarious to have an angry Strong Guy pop into existence in the middle of a Spider-man storyline and restore his marriage.

"What am I even gonna do with a marriage? The old boss was an idiot."

Apparently Strong Guy was a "tough but fair" hell ruler and actually gave damned souls a shot at atoning for their sins and moving on, which is what hell is apparently supposed to do, which just makes it even more frustrating we didn't get to see him in the role longer. Having the devil be kind of a decent guy deep down is a really interesting cosmological situation that you could explore in lots of ways, especially if he's got the old devil constantly scheming to get the job back.

When and how did this happen? "Strong Guy as Lord of Hell" sounds amazing

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

It was all during Peter David's second run on X-Factor. Early on Guido dies and is brought back without a soul. Much later a bunch of hell demons want to kill a kid in order to rule Hell, but Guido beats them to the bunch.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

As far as I know Fixer still is and always has been a white guy.

The Second Fixer always looked like a black guy to me. His skin is generally coloured darker than white characters at least.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I thought Fixer was black too until someone on here said before that he wasn't.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Who are we calling the second Fixer? There was the one who made Daredevil's dad throw a fight and when Battlin' Jack refused he got killed, and then the second one who was an Iron Man villain before joining the Masters of Evil and Thunderbolts.

Is that the second Fixer? If so, he's been a caucasian dude since 1966. I remember being really confused by this line of discussion when the new series got announced because it seemed like "THEY CHANGED FIXER'S RACE" seemed to override any sort of agreement on Fixer's current/former race.

Definitely presents as a white guy pre-Thunderbolts

Looks sort of ethnically ambiguous but probably caucasian in the original Thunderbolts #1

When he comes back after faking his death the first time with a shaved head he looks pretty white

And then for all of Jeff Parker/Declan Shalvey/Gabriel Hardmann/etc's run on Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers a few years back, he was drawn and colored to look very much caucasian.

Anyway, when this new Thunderbolts team got announced the following two promo images were sent out:

The first one gives him jet black hair after over a decade of him having a shaved head, and he had sort of sandy blonde/brown hair prior to that, plus his skin looks paler than almost anyone else, which made me think people saw this image and the "They changed Fixer's race" thing was about making the tech guy an Asian person.

The second one has him in his old costume and given the coloring his skin looks pretty swarthy, I could absolutely see someone looking at this image and thinking the character is black. But that would be making the character black after decades of being not-black, not the other way around.

So imagine my surprise when the consensus that came out was "yeah Fixer was black, but they made him white in the new series."

UPDATE: Apparently Fixer was black (maybe?) in the Facebook(?) game Avengers Alliance, which may be where all this confusion is coming from.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 3, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
He's also Black in Assault on Pleasant Hill.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

twistedmentat posted:

He's also Black in Assault on Pleasant Hill.
I mean... kind of maybe?

The fakeout was that you were supposed to think that Altered Fixer was Tony Stark and he was drawn/colored like Tony Stark. When the Cosmic Cube brainwashing breaks he looks like Old School Fixer, who at least in this panel is colored with a skintone darker than baseline "white guy" though the whole panel is darkly lit.

If this argument was "Fixer was supposed to be Latino/Arabic" I could see the argument a lot more, but whenever he's had hair it's been straight and sort of sandy brown, even when he's got a black goatee it's drawn straight. I am willing to believe that this is just artists not knowing how hair works, but whatever.

By the time that Pleasant Hill came out they'd already greenlit and started work on the new Thunderbolts book, where the notes for Fixer's look was apparently "Tom Selleck", noted caucasian. Of course, it doesn't look anything like Tom Selleck either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did they ever sort out how Fixer came out of that timeloop?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Did they ever sort out how Fixer came out of that timeloop?

Yes. Cosmic Cube girl freed him from the loop immediately prior to Standoff. This revelation is the reason he stopped trying to kill her and take her power.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fixer was always white, he maybe pretended to be some other race when he was going by Techno(but probably not, since it was never brought up, even when he made Mach 3 black as a joke), but all of the T-bolts got minor plastic surgery at the start of that run.

This is a very stupid thing to get mad about.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

After Matthew Rosenberg's Rocket series tying into Grounded is over Al Ewing will be doing a new series with the character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

After Matthew Rosenberg's Rocket series tying into Grounded is over Al Ewing will be doing a new series with the character.

This looks like it will be the greatest comic to ever be published.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ewing says it's a heist book. So yes, it might just be.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dont care about rocket at all but a heist book with ewing ill give it a shot

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I'm sorry, Al Ewing is writing a heist book with Rocket and members of Technet? I don't know what we did to deserve such bounty but I'm glad as gently caress we did it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

rantmo posted:

I'm sorry, Al Ewing is writing a heist book with Rocket and members of Technet? I don't know what we did to deserve such bounty but I'm glad as gently caress we did it.

I mean just seeing Hard Boiled Henry again is a blessing.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I don't know enough about GotG to judge by what you're all talking about as the movie is what put them on my radar but that cover looks AWESOME. Speaking of awesome covers, when does America #1 come out?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anime_Otaku posted:

I don't know enough about GotG to judge by what you're all talking about as the movie is what put them on my radar but that cover looks AWESOME. Speaking of awesome covers, when does America #1 come out?

March 1st

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Anime_Otaku posted:

Sometime next month, I'm not sure which week though

Efb and with better info :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Anime_Otaku posted:

Those aren't GotG characters. They're old Excalibur characters. Al Ewing has proved he loves old Alan Davis stuff, as well he should.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Technet are Alan Davis and Chris Claremont at their creative peaks, they're the most delightful of alien scamps. Basically, read early Excalibur because it's amazing and also Technet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is this Al Ewing's 12th concurrent series or 57th?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

This looks like it will be the greatest comic to ever be published.

Will he be fighting coyotes naked over trash?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Genesis (the young clone of Apocalypse) and Exodus have both been appearing in Marvel comics a fair amount lately, and now it looks like we'll get to see Numbers appearing with the rest of Technet.

Now I want this Howard the Duck character and this Wolverine character to come back so I can finally pitch my dream comic series, about a Torah-themed superteam balancing the demands of superhero adventure and Jewish law as they study together at an Orthodox yeshiva.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This isn't related to anything current, but I could watch this video of Stan Lee throwing shade at Rob Liefeld all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Let's tighten up those feet!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/05/the-bleeding-cool-bestseller-list-5th-february-2016-monsters-unleashed-just-isnt-selling/ MU sold worse than the Flinstone's comic rofl

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

makes sense to me, the monsters are generic and the villain they're setting up is a small child. also it's just plain boring

there's not even much to say about it really

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
"The audience just doesn't like events where heroes fight bad guys anymore. Lets start developing Civil Vs X-Men Wars." - Some Marvel Higher-up now

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The only important info in that is that Paper Girls sold well

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah monsters unleashed is criminally boring, its just *monster falls from sky* "oh no" *beat up monster* *another one falls from sky* for 45 pages so far

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They already announced an MU ongoing. It's probably going to quietly get poo poo canned.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I hope Elsa doesn't get forced in as side character for that turd

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

I hope Elsa doesn't get forced in as side character for that turd

MONSTERS UNLEASHED #1
Written by CULLEN BUNN
Penciled by DAVID BALDEON
Cover by ARTHUR ADAMS
Variant Cover by TBA
Hip-Hop Variant Cover by TBA
THE FIRST FANTASTIC ISSUE OF MARVEL’S NEWEST HEROES!
From acclaimed writer CULLEN BUNN, known for his work on DEADPOOL, UNCANNY X-MEN and more, comes a high-action sci-fi series centered on a team of monstrous and monstrously massive do-gooders including KID KAIJU, AEGIS, SLIZZIK, SCRAGG, and MEKARA. Now teaming up with vampire-hunter ELSA BLOODSTONE, the series unfolds as the team takes on gargantuan creatures and protects the planet from ruin and disaster. However, can they be accepted by the rest of the Marvel Universe and allowed to help, or will they be deemed dangerous as well?
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Crap

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

monsters unleashed should have been a series of boxing matches at the end of which the american kaiju is crowned the boxing champion of the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Manatee Cannon posted:

makes sense to me, the monsters are generic and the villain they're setting up is a small child. also it's just plain boring

there's not even much to say about it really

He's the hero. All the Kirby monsters are going to save the day.

• Locked thread