Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for the replies. New question, I have a crontab running a Python script which takes photos and then uploads them to Dropbox. This works just fine. However, the script has a bunch of print functions that work when I run the script regularly, but no CLI is popping up when I run the script on boot. I'm not sure what to Google for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Froist posted:

Even though you can run Debian on the Pi, it doesn't mean all Debian-compatible software will run on it.

i386 means the .deb file you have is for Intel (and compatible) processors, whereas the Pi is Arm based ("armhf"). You need alternate packages which have been built for Arm architectures, and unfortunately (as far as I know) there's no such distribution available for Dropbox.

Not only this, but Raspbian in particular is an even more limited subset of Debian for ARM. Debian officially supports ARMv4 (armel), ARMv7 (armhf), and ARMv8 (arm64). Raspbian is a custom port of Debian armhf to ARMv6 to support the CPU in the original Raspberry Pi. The Pi 2 is ARMv7 compatible and the Pi 3 is ARMv8 compatible, but with the exception of the later two getting an ARMv7 kernel everything else in the Raspbian system is built for ARMv6. I'm pretty sure this means that Debian armhf packages are incompatible with Raspbian armhf libraries and vice versa, but don't take my word on that. There are scripts to convert a Raspbian system on Pi 2/3 over to Debian armhf and there's ongoing work on an arm64 kernel for the Pi 3, but they're not straightforward to use and the 64 bit one has no working video output at this time.

Debian i386 is also a misnomer these days, 386 support was dropped in Debian 3.1 due to GCC changes, 486 support was "somewhat accidentally" dropped in Debian 6 (and no one noticed for over a year), and 586 (Pentium) support has been dropped for the upcoming Debian 9. At this point i686 is a more accurate description, but for what I assume are probably upgrade compatibility related reasons they keep the old name.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 4, 2017

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Paul MaudDib posted:

Seafile is better anyway for the most part. It's dropbox, but pushed via a private torrent from any machines you put in the group. You do need a server running MySQL or maybe Postgres though (although it's designed for MySQL).

Note that MariaDB is now the open-source fork of MySQL, so that's what you should install, assuming there's an armhf fork. Unfortunately this install isn't trivial last time I did it.

Note that this may have significantly poorer performance than Dropbox since you don't have a big CDN that can access all your files, cache them, and push them out. But it's the next best Dropbox alternative and tbh if you can follow a couple pages of install instructions, it's better for privacy.

The most linux-nerd post ;)

"Use this, it is better. But it also requires this dependency, that you shouldn't use, because there's an open source alternative that's kinda tricky to install. Oh, also performance is worse."

huhu posted:

Thanks for the replies. New question, I have a crontab running a Python script which takes photos and then uploads them to Dropbox. This works just fine. However, the script has a bunch of print functions that work when I run the script regularly, but no CLI is popping up when I run the script on boot. I'm not sure what to Google for.

Crontab stuff is hard to troubleshoot sometimes. Instead of using print statements, change them to write a line to a log file of your choosing.

ante fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 5, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ante posted:

The most linux-nerd post ;)

"Use this, it is better. But it also requires this dependency, that you shouldn't use, because there's an open source alternative that's kinda tricky to install. Oh, also performance is worse."

Seafile doesn't require mariadb, that's just his preference. Also it's not difficult to install or get working, mariadb is a binary drop in replacement for mysql and you install it just like you would mysql (apt-get install mariadb-server).

Also by worse performance he just means a self hosted file storage solution running on an rpi will always be slower than a CDN backed "cloud" solution like dropbox. However, out of the self-hosted alternatives to dropbox it's significantly faster and better than the rest (the server is written in C/C++ unlike the alternatives written in interpreted languages like PHP). If you wanted to you could even "cloud" host it in AWS or wherever to get the "performance" you need, but you'd have to do the same for pydio, owncloud or whatever else people like.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

This isn't really a Pi question but you guys are my only hope.

I have a $9 C.H.I.P. and I'm trying to run pico8 from the console without X, but I'm getting this error:

SDL Error: No available video device

** FATAL ERROR: Unable to initialize SDL

According to this link, this is because SDL can't open the X display and there are no other drivers available: https://wiki.libsdl.org/FAQLinux#I_get_the_error:_.22no_video_devices_available.22

I want to try the directfb or fbcon driver, but I can't understand the instructions on how to set the environment variable. Where do I set this in Chip OS?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mantle posted:

I want to try the directfb or fbcon driver, but I can't understand the instructions on how to set the environment variable. Where do I set this in Chip OS?

How to set an environment variable depends on your shell, but since you're probably using bash the answer is "export variable=value".

You can also do "variable=value command" as a one-liner if you only need the variable to be set for that one command. export makes it stick around for the session. If you want to set it every time look in to the .profile file.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 6, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wolrah posted:

You can also do "variable=value; command" as a one-liner

No, you have to leave the semicolon out.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

huhu posted:

Add this to the end of the cron entry:
code:
> /path/to/file 2>&1

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

No, you have to leave the semicolon out.

derp, fixed

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I recently replaced my living room RetroPie setup (a Pi 2) with a Pi 3b, now I'm trying to think of good uses for my old Pi 2. I'm thinking of sticking it on the bedroom TV with Kodi or whatever the hot multimedia platform is. The issue is that I have no LAN in the bedroom, and the Pi 2 doesn't have wifi.

So two questions:

-Is getting wifi set up on a Pi 2 with a tiny little USB wifi dongle relatively simple?
-What image should I be looking at slapping on the Pi? I'd be pulling videos in .avi/.mkv/.mp4 and audio in .mp3 down from my NAS, and would also like to be able to easily pull Netflix/Amazon Prime/Twitch/Youtube/GiantBomb.

Otherwise I'll just grab a Chromecast or something.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

setting up usb wifi for the pi is as simple as plugging it in

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Drone posted:

I recently replaced my living room RetroPie setup (a Pi 2) with a Pi 3b, now I'm trying to think of good uses for my old Pi 2. I'm thinking of sticking it on the bedroom TV with Kodi or whatever the hot multimedia platform is. The issue is that I have no LAN in the bedroom, and the Pi 2 doesn't have wifi.

So two questions:

-Is getting wifi set up on a Pi 2 with a tiny little USB wifi dongle relatively simple?
-What image should I be looking at slapping on the Pi? I'd be pulling videos in .avi/.mkv/.mp4 and audio in .mp3 down from my NAS, and would also like to be able to easily pull Netflix/Amazon Prime/Twitch/Youtube/GiantBomb.

Otherwise I'll just grab a Chromecast or something.

Let go of the dream of Netflix and Amazon Prime on it, unless there's some dramatic change I've missed in recent days. OpenELEC runs on a Pi 2, though, so that's what I'd suggest for an image. If you're dead set on those other two services, use a Chromecast or a dedicated Android TV box.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the Pi3 was going to get AOSP support but it appears not. The device tree is still empty 10 months later. If the Pi had Android support it would make a great Android TV device.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

YouTuber posted:

I thought the Pi3 was going to get AOSP support but it appears not. The device tree is still empty 10 months later. If the Pi had Android support it would make a great Android TV device.

There are unofficial Android builds for it, but they are janky. I just played with one the other day and you can definitely get Play Store working and all that stuff, but 3D is weird, the mouse cursor is broken, and a few other lesser issues also there.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I tried a few executables in Armbian (armhf) on the Orange Pi PC that I either built on the Pi 3 or someone else made for the Raspberry Pi. Netsurf GTK+ and motor (curses C IDE) both ran without issue. PiSNES and PICO-8 fell over because they needed the broadcom library for the Raspberry Pi.
So there you go. Some stuff is cross compatible in one direction at least.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Crossposting this because I'm happy how it worked out.

It was a tight squeeze but the stand-offs just barely fit between the sides of the case. Now I don't have to worry about the preamp floating around.

Some usb cables arrived today. 2m long ones for charging phones and tablets while in use. For shits and giggles I tried one with the Pi 3 and the 2.4A USB supply that seemed to be a poor performer.
It worked! No undervolt warnings. Why this worked and no other combinations I don't know. Not complaining.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Now I don't want to say I told you so, but I did

Twice

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Now I don't want to say I told you so, but I did

Twice

Hahaha. Yes, yes. It's just I tried so many cables of different lengths and manufacture, and lots of different supplies and nothing worked. And now for some strange reason a cheap 2m long cord from China and a power supply that seemed less sufficient than the others is working? Bloody ridiculous! Especially because the cable that worked with the power bank didn't work particularly well with any other supply.
Whatever. It's working with a conveniently long cord and a power supply that actually fits next to other things on the power board. It's all good!

I had it build Visual Studio Code to test it. Turned out to be a crappy test but it never undervolted. Played back some YouTube videos which is as borderline as ever. No undervolt but it did come up with the thermal warning. I'm typing this on the Pi with nothing else open and it's sitting on 76*C give or take, so it's not surprising. It is hot here so a high CPU temp is to be expected.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
New post. I noticed Suse has a native 64 bit server build for the Pi 3. It's not new news but does that mean that there's a greater chance of other 64 bit distributions becming available?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

wolrah posted:

How to set an environment variable depends on your shell, but since you're probably using bash the answer is "export variable=value".

You can also do "variable=value command" as a one-liner if you only need the variable to be set for that one command. export makes it stick around for the session. If you want to set it every time look in to the .profile file.

This changed the driver, but my applications still wouldn't run. I think I might have to recompile the kernel with the fbcon or directfb driver support in SDL?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I downloaded TeamViewer here: https://pages.teamviewer.com/published/raspberrypi/ I go to double click to launch the installer and it says it can't install it on my Raspberry Pi. What am I missing here?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Is it just a .deb?

Tried installing from the command line with sudo dpkg -i?

You might have to follow that up with a sudo apt-get install -f for dependencies

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The new Pi packaging is adorable. Like organic coffee or something.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

The new Pi packaging is adorable. Like organic coffee or something.

Is there some kind of box in there still to protect the Pi?

I need to ask a question. My PiFi DAC+ stopped working in Raspbian a few days ago on my Pi 3 and I'm not sure why. I need some help.
It's not hardware because it works with Volumio still.

These instructions for the PiFi worked. It's how I've set it up in Raspbian more than once, and in Volumio before I discovered DACs could be configured via the web interface.
https://github.com/guussie/PiDS/wiki/09.-How-to-make-various-DACs-work

I found this in dmesg

code:
[    2.218187] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: ASoC: CPU DAI (null) not registered
[    2.218468] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: snd_soc_register_card() failed: -517
[    2.240555] systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
[    2.242822] systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
[    2.243213] systemd[1]: Unit systemd-modules-load.service entered failed state.
Not really sure where to look. Strange thing is all the programs are happily piping their audio to the broken device, because as far as Linux is concerned it's still there.

Should I work through this or just cut my losses, flatten and reinstall?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

General_Failure posted:

Is there some kind of box in there still to protect the Pi?

The paper pouch comes inside the same old box. Just seems like a strange change from an ESD-safe bag.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just got my HDMI splitter/passthru ambilight thingy working. I'm pretty pumped about that. I haven't done an electronics(ish) project like this in 20 years.

So now I have my Shield HDMI hooked up to an HDMI splitter. One of the outputs goes to my TV and the other output goes HDMI-to-AV-converter > AV-to-USB-device > Pi 3B. Got a strip of WS2801 LED lights around the backside of my TV hooked up to the GPIO on the Pi and using Hyperion software to capture from the USB thing and control the LEDs accordingly.

I've still got to adjust the white balance and stuff, but I'm just relieved my soldering skills didn't screw it up.

For those unfamiliar it looks like this randomly-googled video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur0HDE-U7vw

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I've never heard of Ambilight before. That's pretty cool, and responsive looking at the video. I have to ask, what's the reason for it?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's super helpful for making tiny TVs look much larger than they really are

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ambilight is the real‐life version of those blurry pillars people add to the sides of vertical videos, and I don’t like it. :colbert:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Backlighting behind a display makes it easier on the eyes when watching in the dark, and IIRC the color backlighting helps perceived contrast.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

wolrah posted:

Backlighting behind a display makes it easier on the eyes when watching in the dark, and IIRC the color backlighting helps perceived contrast.

Mainly this. The static white light version is called a bias light...not sure if you'd call this the same thing.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

This is not a thing that comes across well when recorded I assume? Watching that video just made it seem distracting, IMO. Not that the project isn't cool, but I don't think I've heard of this before so now I'm curious.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Just Google bias lighting. It's mostly not noticeable, that video just picked some scenes that pump up the wow factor.

Or maybe you wouldn't like it, who knows.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GobiasIndustries posted:

This is not a thing that comes across well when recorded I assume? Watching that video just made it seem distracting, IMO. Not that the project isn't cool, but I don't think I've heard of this before so now I'm curious.

I don't have it yet myself, I need to rebuild my projector screen before I can make use of it, but I'd imagine a lot like f.lux and similar it's noticeable when you're actively thinking about it, but it just blends in and makes things better if you're not.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

wolrah posted:

I don't have it yet myself, I need to rebuild my projector screen before I can make use of it, but I'd imagine a lot like f.lux and similar it's noticeable when you're actively thinking about it, but it just blends in and makes things better if you're not.

It's mostly this. I set it up a while back on my PC monitor using an Arduino rather than a Pi. When you're watching a video demonstrating the effect, or when you're still in the "new toy" phase, you concentrate on the effect rather than the content on the monitor. It also doesn't help that the dynamic lighting throws off the exposure of video cameras, so it's hard to capture the effect as your eyes would in person.

Once you've got used to it, the effect disappears into the background and it just makes things easier on the eyes in the dark. The only exception is panning shots (when a camera follows someone along a street for example) - if the light levels change suddenly and frequently (e.g. the sun coming out and disappearing behind houses) it can be distracting.

Also it makes lightsaber battles look amazing and that should be the first video anyone watches on such a setup. Edit: Proof - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NcTwiq5v3Q, though the letterboxing does kinda ruin it on my monitor's aspect ratio..

Froist fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 15, 2017

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Thanks for the explanations. It's kind of lost in translation watching a video of it.

Platystemon: I really hope there aren't setups that come across like those blurred sides on portrait format mobile videos. I absolutely can not watch them. I think my eyes try to get it all in focus or something and it hurts like eyestrain.

I've decided to just flatten and reinstall my Pi 3's Raspbian to get the DAC working again. It's one of the reasons I like the SBCs. It's way easier to do a fresh install than on a PC. I did make a stupid mistake though. I tried to copy the stuff in my home directory to the NAS to back it up. It took hours and kept failing so I just culled the superfluous crap and did the bits I needed. I should have just stuffed the MicroSD into the Orange Pi PC with an adapter to do it. It copies things over the network way faster for some reason.

As much as I try to use the RPi3 I keep coming back to the Orange Pi PC as my main "computer". It's mostly because the RPi3 just about freezes sometimes for a while doing who knows what. Even with the 60GB USB ATA drive plugged in and the swap partition on it used the weird freeze ups and patches of awful lagginess still happen. The OPi PC bogs down badly if there's some Web2.0 scrolling clickable bullshit like on Facebook, but generally holds solid and is responsive.

I've been trying to download a fresh Raspbian image since last night and it keeps failing due to completely screwed internet. Long explanation. Can be reduced to infrastructure issues. Anyhow I was trying to download via the direct link. Just tried the torrent this morning using Transmission. Plopped it in the same directory as the .part for the failed direct download. Transmission surprised me by detecting it as downloaded data, checked it and resumed. Should be interesting to see if it works!

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

I've got a model B that I want to switch a relay which in turn activates a LED (all low frequency stuff). Now my original problem was that this relay requires a 5V signal and Vcc. So I bought a TTL level shifter (TI TSX0108e) and hooked it up, using +5, +3.3 and GND pins off of the Pi. The relay LED turns on but the relay doesn't click. I'm guessing the Pi can't provide enough juice. How can I properly connect the shifter? I've got an old PSU which can provide +5 and +3.3, but won't it be problematic if they're not referenced to the same ground as the Pi's signal?

Leandros fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 16, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Froist posted:

It's mostly this. I set it up a while back on my PC monitor using an Arduino rather than a Pi. When you're watching a video demonstrating the effect, or when you're still in the "new toy" phase, you concentrate on the effect rather than the content on the monitor. It also doesn't help that the dynamic lighting throws off the exposure of video cameras, so it's hard to capture the effect as your eyes would in person.

Once you've got used to it, the effect disappears into the background and it just makes things easier on the eyes in the dark. The only exception is panning shots (when a camera follows someone along a street for example) - if the light levels change suddenly and frequently (e.g. the sun coming out and disappearing behind houses) it can be distracting.

Also it makes lightsaber battles look amazing and that should be the first video anyone watches on such a setup. Edit: Proof - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NcTwiq5v3Q, though the letterboxing does kinda ruin it on my monitor's aspect ratio..

Ah cool. Sorry if my question seemed dickish OP, I've honestly just not heard/seen of anything like it before.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Froist posted:

Also it makes lightsaber battles look amazing and that should be the first video anyone watches on such a setup. -video-

Wow I love this, thanks thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Froist posted:

I have a corner desk with a window on my left side.

I am facing straight at the corner from 3 feet away with my gaming panel on the right and my second panel on the left. Both are 27", and are angled about 15 degrees shallower than their respective walls.

What if I put ambient lighting behind my right hand monitor? Would I get anything from ambient lighting given the uneven distance between the wall and my monitor's right/left sides?

If I went to a single ultrawide - would I get anything from it given the window on my left-hand side? Currently the window is behind about 2/3 of my left-hand monitor, and I would estimate that with a single ultrawide directly in the center (aligned with the corner) there would probably be maybe 1/4th of it with a window behind it. I don't mind turning to my right a little bit to get more of it with wall behind it for ambient lighting - but we're back to uneven distances between the monitor and the wall on the left/right sides - plus the monitor itself would be curved too which might exacerbate that.