Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Violator posted:

Man, the comic is rough. I happened to pick it up while killing time at a comic shop and was shocked. If I remember correctly, the main teenage character is fighting his space dad and in the process breaks both of his own hands and keeps punching and fighting with the compound fractured stumps. The whole idea is he can sustain horrific damage but can't die? I haven't read it in great detail, but weren't like the first 50 issues or something a standard teen super hero drama with no gore?

Well, they heal pretty throughly and fairly quickly.. Though in a later fight Mark was beat up so bad (using his own intestines to strangle his enemy!) he was in a coma for months while his body healed. And he's still not at the top of his power game, being as young as he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

wyoming posted:

I started reading Kirkman's Wolfman because I dug the art, and it was almost impressive how each new issue was worse than the one before.

He's worked with some pretty good artists and to be fair its been a decade since I read an issue or anything by him but it's all so rote it almost wraps around to being some kind of experiment in what the minimum level of competence to keep people reading indefinitely is.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I don't know why I enjoy Invincible, but I do. It's like the same compulsion that makes me like bad horror films

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah, Watchmen is one of those thing that is so connected with its medium that it would be really hard into a truly classic movie, but Snyder gave as good a shot as anyone could have. I always say that regardless of how much you like the movie, it's easy to think that it's the best Watchmen movie possible.

This is my take on it as well

People have said that the comic was drat near un-unfilmable and I think they're right. There's not much in the Watchmen movie I would have changed. I can't think of anything that would have made it better. Certain properties are sometimes just better left to their original medium. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas comes to mind (although I love that movie) and certainly a lot of Stephen King and video game adaptations.

Also, I'd be down for Snyder directing The Batman.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

He's worked with some pretty good artists and to be fair its been a decade since I read an issue or anything by him but it's all so rote it almost wraps around to being some kind of experiment in what the minimum level of competence to keep people reading indefinitely is.

The artist on The Walking Dead is absolutely terrible. I stopped reading the comic around when the show started so maybe he's improved, but I remember having had trouble telling some characters apart.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Chairman Capone posted:

The artist on The Walking Dead is absolutely terrible. I stopped reading the comic around when the show started so maybe he's improved, but I remember having had trouble telling some characters apart.
The first arc of TWD was done by Moore iirc, who also did work on Frankencastle and is generally an excellent artist.
He sued Kirkman for insufficient compensation after the show blew up, which tells you a little about both of them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

New Justice League photo

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

teagone posted:

New Justice League photo

Oh, man, Cyborg looks fuckin' freaky-lookin'. This movie's gonna be so bizarre.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Tridents are for pussies, gonna get me a quindent.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DCEU trident needed to be edgier.

I'll see myself out.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
That picture makes Roboman look much better than the last. But what's with the electric yo-yo?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/828382880447524864

Elizabeth Debicki as Ayesha :allears:

[edit] Now in widescreen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaLNiC-bKHQ

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 6, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Logan Superbowl trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDnXUq2uV6c

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

A bigger Yondu part is heading in the right direction, but it's still garbage until we get a film about him.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

teagone posted:

New Justice League photo

Cyborg's megabuster looks easily breakable.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah Green Room was the best movie of 2016, if Saulnier got swallowed up by the franchise superhero machine it would be hugely depressing.
yeah but this is also basically how I feel about James Gunn, as entertaining as Guardians is.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rough Lobster posted:

Cyborg as a whole looks like he's perpetually falling apart.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 6, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/Guardians/status/828424704935424000

these are way better than the trailer imo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rough Lobster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V3YtLD777c

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Is the "megabuster" or whatever his laser arm? It's giving me Iron Giant vibes, which, in addition to the rest of schizophrenic collage in his design, is awesome.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Nebula towers over everybody :stare:

Also going to continue to be the only one that adores Mantis.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

K. Waste posted:

Is the "megabuster" or whatever his laser arm? It's giving me Iron Giant vibes, which, in addition to the rest of schizophrenic collage in his design, is awesome.

Seems somewhat similar to the white noise cannon he uses on the comics

Personally, Cyborg reminds me of Digimon's Andromon

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Well, yeah, of course he looks like Robocop/Terminator/Transformer. His "birth" teaser sequence is literally Miles Dyson using the All Spark Cube to resurrect his son who's hooked up to a life support circuit board thing.

He's probably going to morph and transform and it's going to be tight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It'll be cool when he fights Guyver 3.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He looks like poo poo

Like the most generic design ever with some loving indiscernible light doodad on his arm and a face pasted onto his CGI body

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It'll be cool when he fights Guyver 3.

Hey now.

He looks like a lot of poo poo, but he doesn't look like a Guyver. Guyvers are all organic and bio mechanical and poo poo. They also have way cooler head designs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Kinda rolled my eyes at the "Groot says gently caress" joke, but everything else in the new Guardians Trailer looks amazing.

All hail the return of the Whistle Missile.

Chris Pratt needs to put on 50 pounds again. His transformation from Andy to current Chris Pratt is setting dangerously unrealistic standards for the rest of us. He's somehow even more jacked than he was in Guardians 1 or Zero Dark Thirty.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I didnt take it as groot said gently caress at all, just Rocket Raccoon added that interjection.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Burkion posted:

Hey now.

He looks like a lot of poo poo, but he doesn't look like a Guyver. Guyvers are all organic and bio mechanical and poo poo. They also have way cooler head designs.

Where is my rated R Guyver remake Hollywood?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Barudak posted:

I didnt take it as groot said gently caress at all, just Rocket Raccoon added that interjection.
My ongoing theory is that Groot never says anything that Rocket says he does, and that Rocket can't in fact understand him at all. It fits in perfectly with and adds to Rocket's characterization.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Kevin Smith gave his opinion on Affleck stepping down as director for The Batman on the most recent episode of his podcast.

Kevin Smith posted:

"Here’s my hot take. What’s the upshot? Seriously. Everybody wants that to be the greatest Batman movie ever made, and you know, in many cases, maybe the greatest Batman movie ever made has been made, called The Dark Knight, it’s a pretty wonderful film. If that’s your bar for a Batman standalone, Chris Nolan couldn’t even measure up to himself with The Dark Knight Rises, I liked it, but it wasn’t received nearly as well and poo poo. Let’s be honest, that Joker portrayal is for the ages - fuckin’ beyond brilliant and poo poo. So, it’s a tall order, man. Maybe he’s the kind of guy who’s like, ‘Why bother? Like, why am I going to step up to the plate? No matter what I do, people are gonna bitch. If it ain’t fuckin’ The Dark Knight, I’m hosed. But if I’m just acting in it, my name’s Paul, and this is between y’all. I’m just the Bat, that’s it.”

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Kevin Smith gave his opinion on Affleck stepping down as director for The Batman on the most recent episode of his podcast.

It's probably some combination of this and Live by Night flopping, if I had to guess.

Having gotten a serious case of super hero burnout, Wonder Woman and The Batman are probably the only two I'll see in theaters. Even as someone who mostly liked Batman v Superman I don't know if a big ensemble piece like Justice League is worth going to the theater for, but we'll see.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Its amazing how many words Smith is able to say in a row that contain zero interesting insight whatsoever.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Real missed opportunity for KS to say "I'm just The Bat...and that's that."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Lol at the thought of anyone being intimidated by Dark Knight's "perfection".

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mecha Gojira posted:

Well, yeah, of course he looks like Robocop/Terminator/Transformer. His "birth" teaser sequence is literally Miles Dyson using the All Spark Cube to resurrect his son who's hooked up to a life support circuit board thing.

He's probably going to morph and transform and it's going to be tight.

Yeah. The Motherbox is a kind of all powerful master controller technology doodad thing. I think it looks ok. Secretly hoping Cyborg defeats a bad guy then jumps in the air absorbing his power only to shoot something whacky from his arm cannon.

Michael Rooker is great and glad he's getting more screentime since his performance is so entertaining

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Lol at the thought of anyone being intimidated by Dark Knight's "perfection".

He's not entirely wrong about TDK's "perfection". At least with the NOT MY SUPERMAN/BATMAN crowd.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Does Kevin Smith practice jive in front of a mirror or something? What's going on there.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's probably some combination of this and Live by Night flopping, if I had to guess.

It's pretty obvious how annoyed and disillusioned he was getting while he was trying to promote Live by Night which was set to flop hard but all anyone wanted to ask him about was Batman and he knew that BvS got panned and poo poo all over but still made 800 million while a project he poured all that effort into barely eked out 20 million.

I don't think it had anything to do with him being too scared of topping the Dark Knight, although it's insightful seeing the supremely unambitious Smith immediately think that. I think he thought: why bother. The internet is going to judge the film based on stupid poo poo like how the bat mobile looks or how plausible the flip kick he did in the final fight was, but it's still going to make a significant amount more than any other film he's ever directed. It probably all seems so loving backwards and depressing (it is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Does Kevin Smith practice jive in front of a mirror or something? What's going on there.

Has he ever had Michael Rappaport on his podcast? We may be heading for some sort of White Guy Semi-Mumbling Slang Singularity.

• Locked thread