Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean this was a guy who thought that a death penalty was still valid even after DNA exoneration because the 'case was decided correctly at the time'. Hopefully he's burning in hell.

That is not correct. He suggested in Callins v. Collins that the death penalty was not cruel or unusual when applied to a man convicted of asphyxiating an 11 year old girl by stuffing her panties down her throat after participating in her gang rape. I think you'll find his views are not terribly far outside the mainstream on this point. The man he was referring to (Henry Lee McCollum) had his conviction overturned due to DNA evidence 16 years later, but Scalia was not (nor was anyone else) aware of his innocence at the time.

He also argued that exhaustion of appeals in Death Penalty cases was fine, and that the courts should not be required to entertain sudden last minute claims of newly discovered exculpatory evidence as grounds for a new trial or delay of sentence. His argument was that not having a limit on appeals would place an undue burden on lower courts, and that the power of state Governors to grand clemency or commutations already offered a sufficient vehicle for appeal in these extreme situations. He was correct about this, as much as it rubs some people the wrong way.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Looks like the Government is arguing that a "Facially Legitmate" standard of review is appropritate

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/828032009561862144/pu/vid/640x360/7kmBItMJi9C5Wg5G.mp4

http://us.practicallaw.com/w-002-7417

I think they are using that standard incorrectly, since it seems to be intended for analyzing particular instances of consular misconduct in the granting of visa's, not an analysis of whether an order or law is invalid because of constitutional issues.

Where's that video from?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

KernelSlanders posted:

Where's that video from?

https://twitter.com/RobPulseNews/status/828032705380098050

http://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000015a-060c-d96b-a7fe-1efd89b00000

Also here is the whole thing.

http://www.uscourts.gov/cameras-courts/state-washington-vs-donald-j-trump-et-al

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 5, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Trump's emergency stay motion for the TRO was denied by the 9th circuit.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Trump's emergency stay motion for the TRO was denied by the 9th circuit.

Dear SCOTUS please do the same. :pray:

e: I love seeing the GOP argue that immigration is the sole authority of the executive, while having in the last year successfully* sued Obama over immigration EOs.

*by suing in the place they knew they'd win because its full of right wing judges.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 5, 2017

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

At this point are there people still being held pursuant to the EO? I can't find anything up to date on the Dulles situation one way or the other.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KernelSlanders posted:

At this point are there people still being held pursuant to the EO? I can't find anything up to date on the Dulles situation one way or the other.

From everything I've read there should not be at this point. However there are quite likely a lot of people who were sent back to their home countries who have not been able to return.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Where can I read the filing that attempted to end the injunction? I really want to see the reasoning, based on news coverage- it sounds like a hoot/terrifying beyond belief.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dear SCOTUS please do the same. :pray:

e: I love seeing the GOP argue that immigration is the sole authority of the executive, while having in the last year successfully* sued Obama over immigration EOs.

*by suing in the place they knew they'd win because its full of right wing judges.

We're going to see the GOP walking back an absolute poo poo load of things but other people in the system fighting them on it tooth and nail. What I think is funniest is the fact that some people are just so shocked (shocked!!!!!) that so much of America isn't just rolling over and letting Trump Bannon be king.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

Where can I read the filing that attempted to end the injunction? I really want to see the reasoning, based on news coverage- it sounds like a hoot/terrifying beyond belief.

not sure but the argument before Robart is here: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/federal-judge-in-seattle-halts-trumps-immigration-order/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I'll keep poking around. WaPo quotes the filing from the white house as asserting, and I quote the quote, "unreviewable authority".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

I'll keep poking around. WaPo quotes the filing from the white house as asserting, and I quote the quote, "unreviewable authority".

Haha, post it if you find it.

Asserting a judge cannot do something is often the quickest way to get them to do it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's the motion in opposition of the original stay:

https://www.clearinghouse.net/chDocs/public/IM-WA-0029-0013.pdf

And the emergency motion to continue the stay.

https://www.clearinghouse.net/chDocs/public/IM-WA-0029-0015.pdf

You can get all the pleadings and motions here:

https://www.clearinghouse.net/detail.php?id=15606&search=source%7Cgeneral%3BspecialCollection%7C44%3Borderby%7CfilingYear%3B

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Haha, post it if you find it.

Asserting a judge cannot do something is often the quickest way to get them to do it.

Got it!- and I see Nitrousoxide has it too. Thanks! I need to keep that site in mind.

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/general/2017/02/04/17-35105%20motion.pdf

quote:

The district court’s sweeping injunction should be stayed pending appeal. It conflicts with the basic principle that “an alien seeking initial admission to the United States requests a privilege and has no constitutional rights regarding his application, for the power to admit or exclude aliens is a sovereign prerogative.” Landon v. Plasencia, 459 U.S. 21, 32 (1982). It also contravenes the considered judgment of Congress that the President should have the unreviewable authority to suspend the admission of any class of aliens. The district court did not confront those authorities; indeed, it gave no explanation why the State of Washington has a high likelihood of success on the merits of its claims. And it entered the injunction at the behest of a party that is not itself subject to the Executive Order; lacks Article III standing or any right to challenge the denial of entry or visas to third-party aliens; and brings a disfavored facial challenge.

The injunction is also vastly overbroad— it is untethered to Washington’s particular claims; extends even to aliens abroad who currently have no visas; and applies nationwide, effectively overriding the judgment of another district court that sustained the Executive Order against parallel challenges.

Emphasis mine. ?!? I don't think Congress has the ability to give the President unreviewable authority. I'm...not actually aware of the idea of unreviewable authority under US law. Are they trying to assert political question without calling it that?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 5, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Man it'd be pretty sick if Congress could just say "and the courts can't review this" in their legislation and have iron clad laws huh?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man it'd be pretty sick if Congress could just say "and the courts can't review this" in their legislation and have iron clad laws huh?

That's what North Carolina has been doing:

Slate.com posted:

Completely change the appeals process in order to limit the state Supreme Court’s authority. When Republicans took power, they provided citizens with the right to appeal constitutional challenges from superior court directly to the state Supreme Court. The new measure would remove this right, requiring constitutional challenges to be heard by all 15 judges of the court of appeals—which is dominated by Republicans—before reaching the state Supreme Court.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.slate.com/blogs/outward/2016/12/15/north_carolina_legislative_coup_an_attack_on_democracy.html?client=safari

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

"May it please the court, Marbury vs. Madison was bullshit and I shouldn't even have to be here."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I thought they could at least arguably do this via their power to limit the jurisdiction of federal courts. They've never actually done it, though.

Edit: It's even more complicated than I remembered, and Congress actually did it with regard to the Reconstruction Acts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurisdiction_stripping

It appears that the Supreme Court's original jurisdiction over cases between a state and the federal government, among other things, limits the use of jurisdiction-stripping to evade judicial review somewhat.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 6, 2017

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Still Article III courts have constitutionally granted common law powers. Habeas explicitly, for example, but many others implicitly. Where there is a right there is a remedy, is a doctrine I doubt congress can strip.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dead Reckoning posted:

"May it please the court, Marbury vs. Madison was bullshit and I shouldn't even have to be here."

Clarence Thomas' eyes light up.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
So how's this mostly likely going to end? These are all temporary injunctions, not final rulings. My understanding was that if the executive clicked their heels and said "national security!" three times they could pretty much do whatever they want to the ability of non-citizens to emigrate. I just assume these hold-ups are because Trump was so unbelievably incompetent that he tried to dragnet green card holders and other exceptions along with everyone else and never bothered to ask a lawyer to review it.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 6, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DeusExMachinima posted:

So how's this mostly likely going to end? These are all temporary injunctions, not final rulings. My understanding was that if the executive clicked their heels and said "national security!" three times they could pretty much do whatever they want to the ability of non-citizens to emigrate. I just assume these hold-ups are because Trump was so unbelievably incompetent that he tried to dragnet green card holders and other exceptions along with everyone else and never bothered to ask a lawyer to review it.

From listening to the Judge Robart hearing yeah that's a lot of it -- not just green card holders but also people with valid long term visas etc. Students on student visas seem to be a big part of the standing argument for allowing the States to come in as plaintiffs (since it's state universities, etc.)

The other big problem is they couldn't keep their mouth shut: Trump and Guiliani kept crowing constantly about how it was a "muslim ban" on national television. Couple that with the fact that the order itself is incoherent and doesn't seem to have any rational basis, and there's just not much left to justify this without falling back on just arguing that the President is a dictator when it comes to national security.

My guess: I think the federal courts will near-uniformly affirm the stay and overturn the EO until it reaches the Supreme Court. At that point who the gently caress knows.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 6, 2017

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Well then, it'll be incredibly hilarious if Trump self-owns what should be a slam-dunk even after the green card/visa kerfuffle because he just couldn't keep his yuuuge piehole shut. If it does get shot down permanently what's to keep him from tweaking it into a totally new not the same order and trying again down the road?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trump will petition the Court to submit arguments via Twitter.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DeusExMachinima posted:

Well then, it'll be incredibly hilarious if Trump self-owns what should be a slam-dunk even after the green card/visa kerfuffle because he just couldn't keep his yuuuge piehole shut.

Yup. He's kindof *already* done that by his various public statements, but Guiliani's "Trump asked me to ban muslims legally, so I wrote this EO for him, totally legit now" speech on Fox is the hole below the waterline.

The real question is whether the Trump administration keeps fighting this same exact EO, or backs down and re-drafts something more facially legitimate (perhaps by adding Saudi Arabia to the list of impacted nations, for example). I don't think Trump is capable of backing down or refining his position, though.

I'm also a little surprised more DoJ attorneys haven't quit over this. If I were working in the Department of Justice and someone asked me to defend such a blatantly unconstitutional order, I'd have a really hard time stepping up.That's not why you go to work at the DoJ, especially given the higher ethical duty of government attorneys.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Most, if not all of these injunctions are based on cases being brought by people who currently have visas or green cards. Most of the analysis I've seen seems to indicate that the equal protection clause applies to people in US jurisdictions regardless of citizenship status, and the likely result being that while Trump may block new visas or green cards from being issued to people from those countries, blocking people who already have them at the border is too obviously a Muslim ban.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The EO also has exceptions for the minority religions from the the effected countries, is that going to be relevant going forward? It plays into the Absolutely A Muslim Ban argument, I'd imagine.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rygar201 posted:

The EO also has exceptions for the minority religions from the the effected countries, is that going to be relevant going forward? It plays into the Absolutely A Muslim Ban argument, I'd imagine.

I would be very surprised. Of course the government can discriminate on the basis of religion when accepting immigrants and refugees! It'd be nonsensical if they didn't have that power. If a religious minority is being persecuted (I. E. The Yazidis), then you can absolutely take their religion into account when deciding whether or not to accept their presence in the country. That applies if it's Christians being discriminated against and there's certainly no problem codifying that into law or explicit policy.

The problem as before applies to the green card and visa holders. I'm not sure the government needs rational basis to simply ban immigration from various countries, but it sure does to gently caress over visa and green card holders.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

The Iron Rose posted:

I would be very surprised. Of course the government can discriminate on the basis of religion when accepting immigrants and refugees! It'd be nonsensical if they didn't have that power. If a religious minority is being persecuted (I. E. The Yazidis), then you can absolutely take their religion into account when deciding whether or not to accept their presence in the country. That applies if it's Christians being discriminated against and there's certainly no problem codifying that into law or explicit policy.

The problem as before applies to the green card and visa holders. I'm not sure the government needs rational basis to simply ban immigration from various countries, but it sure does to gently caress over visa and green card holders.

The main thing about the religious exclusions is that they provide support for the "Muslim ban by another name" argument rooted in administration statements, but you're right that on its face religious considerations are acceptable. One big thing to consider is whether the administration takes into account persecuted minority Muslim sects (lol), which it ought to if the rationale is indeed to prioritize those facing religious persecution.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Quorum posted:

The main thing about the religious exclusions is that they provide support for the "Muslim ban by another name" argument rooted in administration statements, but you're right that on its face religious considerations are acceptable. One big thing to consider is whether the administration takes into account persecuted minority Muslim sects (lol), which it ought to if the rationale is indeed to prioritize those facing religious persecution.

I'd bet real money that Trump has never heard of "Shia", "Sunni", or "Druze"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The Iron Rose posted:

Do they need a rational basis to discriminate on the basis of religion for accepting immigrants and refugees, though? Accepting immigrants from a persecuted religion, ok, you've got a rational basis; excluding immigrants solely because of their religious preference, though, with no evidence of anything else other than that? Is that something the first amendment allows? More specifically, what about excluding immigrants for a clearly pretextual reason (national origin) when there are multiple clear statements that the intent was to enact a ban against members of a specific religion? If the basis for the action is clearly animus and non-rational, does that matter?

Technically yeah green card and visa holders have a much stronger argument for standing & for constitutional protection for their rights. I wonder if it's different for visa holders who are outside the borders vs. visa holders inside the country who want to leave and return (say, for a funeral overseas).

I expect you're right though, and that the ultimate determining factor here will be whether the administration sticks to its guns regarding revoking current visas vs. abandoning that argument and just attempting to enforce the ban going forward by not issuing new visas.

Quorum posted:

. One big thing to consider is whether the administration takes into account persecuted minority Muslim sects (lol), which it ought to if the rationale is indeed to prioritize those facing religious persecution.

Hahahah, yeah. There are also numerous reports of Yazidis getting excluded due to the ban, so they could argue it's nondiscriminatory because it isn't anti-muslim, see, it prohibits Yazidis also.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 6, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I think you misunderstand what rational basis means in a legal context. Rational basis review is basically full deference to the decision maker currently under litigation. The court does not need to look at the proffered bases for a rule, but rather they look to whether there is any potential rational reason for justification imaginable. If so, defer. RBR review is very hard to defeat.

There are very few times where rational basis is the standard of review and a rule will get overturned.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think you misunderstand what rational basis means in a legal context. Rational basis review is basically full deference to the decision maker currently under litigation. The court does not need to look at the proffered bases for a rule, but rather they look to whether there is any potential rational reason for justification imaginable. If so, defer. RBR review is very hard to defeat.

There are very few times where rational basis is the standard of review and a rule will get overturned.

If you listen to the oral argument I linked above, the attorney actually argues that the Muslim Ban fails that rational basis standard -- essentially, that it is wholly illogical and purposeless and that the only possible justification was racial animus. (He's not wrong).

It kinda struck me as weird that he would make that argument since we are talking about a first amendment right and I would have thought a stricter standard would apply, but maybe there's something in the caselaw about immigration powers and rational basis. Alternatively, maybe he was shooting for the moon and figuring that if he had a decent case to beat even RBR he had a good case to beat any other level of scrutiny also (he does).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 6, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

If you listen to the oral argument I linked above, the attorney actually argues that the Muslim Ban fails that rational basis standard -- essentially, that it is wholly illogical and purposeless and that the only possible justification was racial animus. (He's not wrong).

It kinda struck me as weird that he would make that argument since we are talking about a first amendment right and I would have thought a stricter standard would apply, but maybe there's something in the caselaw about immigration powers and rational basis. Alternatively, maybe he was shooting for the moon and figuring that if he had a decent case to beat even RBR he had a good case to beat any other level of scrutiny also (he does).

It has nothing to do with case law, but how RBR works. The religious animus argument is an attempt to paint any conceivable justification of the ban as unconstitutional.

You edited while I had my post open, so I've requoted you here with the edit in place. I don't think he's pushing for a higher level of scrutiny. I think it's just a broad stroke to cover any justification that might be imagined. I think he's correct.

I also think there are a lot of ways this could have been put in place that would have survived scrutiny even with the obvious religious animus. Namely if they hadn't hosed with all the existing visa holders.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 6, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If he hadn't hosed with existing visa holders, who if anyone would have had standing to challenge the ban? Real question, not argumentative.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

If he hadn't hosed with existing visa holders, who if anyone would have had standing to challenge the ban? Real question, not argumentative.

Maybe the handful of citizens from the countries getting poo poo when trying to travel. Honestly I don't know for sure.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Potentially people in the middle of applying, employers looking to bring someone over, and family members.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Universities who incurred expenses in bringing an international student in either for research or classes might also have standing since they were out that money with no good reason, and it'd be too late in this case to simply fill the slot with another student on such short notice without further costs, too, maybe?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
They would know:

quote:

We, Madeleine K. Albright, Avril D. Haines, Michael V. Hayden, John F. Kerry, John E. McLaughlin, Lisa O. Monaco, Michael J. Morell, Janet A. Napolitano, Leon E. Panetta, and Susan E. Rice declare as follows: . . . In our professional opinion, this Order cannot be justified on national security or foreign policy grounds.
http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/general/2017/02/06/17-35105%20opposition%20exhibit.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I was left with the impression after that episode of Opening Arguments that the EO would have been within the President's power if it had applied only to the process of granting visas, the later 1965 law being designed to prevent consulates/embassies loving with application reviews along discriminatory grounds. This EO ran into trouble because it was written to apply to people who have had visas/green cards issued already and the President doesn't have the power to revoke legal permission to remain. I guess it will see the court striking the whole thing down and telling them to try again with a legal EO? Or they fight it to SCoTUS and hope Goresuch is in place and that's enough for them to win.

I'm also curious what, if anything, is happening regarding the Nepotism laws. Like, Trump is specifically barred from appointing his daughter or son-in-law from any official or paid position and he's done just that with Jared Kushner. Is anything going to happen with that ever?