Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ariong posted:

I have a ditto with 6 perfect IVs holding a destiny knot and a Mimikyu with 5 perfect IVs. How are they producing children with only 3 perfect IVs?

Did you hatch a leftover egg from a previous generation? She's usually holding one when you go to replace the parent, so it's easy to pick it up and then hatch it with the next batch without thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Ariong posted:

I have a ditto with 6 perfect IVs holding a destiny knot and a Mimikyu with 5 perfect IVs. How are they producing children with only 3 perfect IVs?

Because the RNG is picking only 3 of the maxed stats and the wildcard stat is something lovely.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

So, apparently, it was because "Macho Mon" has "homo" separated by a space. "TheMacho-Mon" actually worked.

So, yeah. Gamefreak. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

so what this is telling me is that you can send the bad words as long as all the letters have dashes between them

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Rudoku posted:

Because the RNG is picking only 3 of the maxed stats and the wildcard stat is something lovely.

No, if 5 of the 6 stats are perfect for each mon then at least 4 have to be chosen that are perfect.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Must have had an old egg stashed somewhere.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Ariong posted:

Is either "perfect" because of hyper training? Stats boosted by bottle caps don't pass down, they'll use whatever the original IV is for breeding.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Hammerite posted:

No, if 5 of the 6 stats are perfect for each mon then at least 4 have to be chosen that are perfect.

I'm thinking about gen 3-4 poo poo where the RNG can pick the exact same stat to inherit.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Okay, something is definitely wrong here.

Parent 1:

Parent 2:

Child:

Sorry for the huge pictures. Any ideas?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

It chose 5 randomly from both parents - SpDef, Speed, Def, Att from either, HP from the Mimikyu. The sixth is random.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

your ditto is cheating on your mimikyu

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Ariong posted:

Okay, something is definitely wrong here.

Parent 1:

Parent 2:

Child:

Sorry for the huge pictures. Any ideas?

I don't understand why there is a problem. The RNG chose 5 IVs from between the parents, including the "pretty good" HP value and 4 perfect IVs, then it rolled a random value for the SpA IV.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ariong posted:

This is 4 perfect IVs. That is normal.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, I get it now. Thanks a bunch.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The global mission just hit the 2 million mark meaning everyone with a PGL account will get 4000 Festival Coins and a Friend Ball.
Don't miss out on that if you haven't signed up already: https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/58dccacf-34eb-4d1e-accc-4313cf82d5b5

Dr. Fetus posted:

More specifically, the QR codes contain your Game Sync ID. Meaning that someone can extract that info from them, and impersonate you to get you banned. :cripes:

Well, guess I'm removing my own QR team right now. What the hell.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 6, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

If I'm reading that right then using someone else's code is still safe (for me that is), right? I just went to the official page and scanned one of the most used ones it shows there.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Using QR codes is perfectly safe, creating your own QR Team is currently unsafe since it'd expose your own Game Sync info someone could maliciously spoof.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Also is there any good beginner guide for pvp? Aparently just loading up a bunch of random ubers is not enough. :downs:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Depends on what format of PvP you want to play. I don't know jack poo poo about doubles or ubers, but if you have specific questions about singles, I can help you out. It also depends who you're playing against and what, if any, ground rules you're using.

Generally, Smogon is considered the authority on singles PvP. Their general ruleset is:

Sleep Clause (can't force 2 of your opponent's Pokémon to go to sleep by using moves like Sleep Powder/Hypnosis etc, but they can use Rest as often as they like)

Evasion Clause (can't use moves like Minimize or Double Team that boost Evasion at all)

Species Clause (can't use 2 of the same Pokémon on the same team)

Moody Clause (can't use a Pokémon with the ability Moody)

Baton Pass clause (can't pass more than 1 type of boost via Baton Pass, i.e. can't pass both an Agility and a Swords Dance, but just one or the other is fine)

Infinite Battle clause (you can't purposely cause a situation that will result in an endless battle...this is really unlikely and difficult to achieve, but through certain move/Pokémon/item/ability combinations, you can effectively keep healing yourself and your opponent forever, and never stall out of PP by gifting yourself and your opponent with a Leppa Berry to keep your PP up)

One Hit KO clause (can't use moves like Fissure or Sheer Cold that are OHKOs)

Got that? Okay. Once you've understood the different clauses, you're going to want to pick your team. Go here: http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/

Now, not every Pokémon has a full write-up yet, or has been categorized into a tier. But in general, the idea is to pick a Pokémon you like, and check out its page. It'll have a write up of what its best strategies are, what some good teammates would be, and what enemy Pokémon/moves/strategies to watch out for. Once you've settled on your first Pokémon, start looking at some of the suggested teammates, and keep going like that until you have your six.

General tips: Entry hazards (Stealth Rock is the big one, but Toxic Spikes, Spikes, and even Sticky Web are prevalent) are a big deal in singles because much of the time your best option is not to keep your Pokémon in, but to switch to a good counter. All of this switching means entry hazards can rack up a lot of damage. In that case, you usually want to have a Pokémon with a way of removing them, preferably through Rapid Spin (Starmie, Excadrill, Donphan, Forretress are a few that come to mind), or less desirably through Defog. Defog removes hazards on BOTH sides of the field, meaning if you laid down any hazards, they're gone now too. However, Defog has much wider distribution, so it's easier to fit onto most teams.

Unless you want to use a Trick Room team (which is actually pretty darn viable this generation), Speed is the name of the game. You're going to want a healthy dose of Pokémon with 100+ speed because often times whoever makes the first move will win. And unlike the other stats, there is no randomness associated with Speed. If your speed is higher than your opponent's, you go first. With that said, priority moves (think Quick Attack or Extreme Speed) are a big deal, but have fallen out of favor a bit because of Tapu Lele's ability cancelling out priority moves. You're going to want to either memorize the major Speed tiers, or have them at the ready to reference during battle so you can more or less decide whether staying in or switching out is the better idea.

Beyond that, you're going to want to just do your homework on what's most popularly used (anything in the OU or "overused" tier is likely to make an appearance in at least one of your battles, but even stuff in the BL or UU tiers won't be uncommon) and what moves/strategies are most common.

In general, some of the best items to use are Leftovers (mostly for defense oriented Pokémon you want to survive as long as possible, or Black Sludge if they're Poison types), any of the Choice items (Band, Specs, Scarf), Life Orb, Rocky Helmet (especially with stuff like Garchomp with Rough Skin or Ferrothorn with Iron Barbs), Sitrus Berry sometimes, the Z-Crystals occasionally, and of course, the Mega Stones.

All of this is much easier to control and execute when using Pokémon Showdown, a battle simulator that lets you control every aspect of a Pokémon, and lets you find and battle others with much less effort than actual cartridge play. Some people prefer to use the Pokémon they actually bred and raised themselves, and that's fine, but there's no denying that Showdown is much less tedious and gets you battling a lot quicker. You can also adjust strategies on the fly rather than having to breed up a whole new Pokémon if you made a mistake or changed your mind.

Final bit of advice: Generally a good team has a strong core of both offensive and defensive monsters and doesn't rely too heavily on any one or two members to be successful. Don't have too many shared weaknesses and try to have a good spread of offensive moves of different types, but keep in mind that often even a neutral attack will do more damage than a super effective hit if the move has higher Base Power and is backed up by STAB, i.e. don't feel like you have to use weak moves just to get type coverage. *cough Hidden Power cough*

Beyond that, everything is a bit of a gamble. You're never going to win every battle, and until you get good at memorizing the common strategies, you're going to lose A LOT. Don't get discouraged. You'll eventually get better, and by then, the major strategies will change, and you'll be out of the loop and will have to start all over again! :downs:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Thanks for the writeup, thats far more thorough than I expected. :D I've use smogon to pick up builds though went at it on actuall cartridge so 3v3 singles is what I'm trying to get into.

Went in with celesteela, pheromosa and aegislash, basically figuring stuff that is banned there will tear poo poo up but only aegislash has seen much sucess though - pheromosa isn't the killing machine i expected it to be while celesteela dies to things even before I can seed/tox them, so I'll probably drop them and try from scratch.

Are items like life orb and scarves a big deal? Most builds run them though the drawbacks seem pretty severe to me. Also do I need perfect Iv's or is having 2/3 key stats enough? And isn't switching usually bad since you give them a free turn?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Avalerion posted:

Thanks for the writeup, thats far more thorough than I expected. :D I've use smogon to pick up builds though went at it on actuall cartridge so 3v3 singles is what I'm trying to get into.

Went in with celesteela, pheromosa and aegislash, basically figuring stuff that is banned there will tear poo poo up but only aegislash has seen much sucess though - pheromosa isn't the killing machine i expected it to be while celesteela dies to things even before I can seed/tox them, so I'll probably drop them and try from scratch.

Are items like life orb and scarves a big deal? Most builds run them though the drawbacks seem pretty severe to me. Also do I need perfect Iv's or is having 2/3 key stats enough? And isn't switching usually bad since you give them a free turn?

Outspeeding is a pretty big deal, so yes Choice Scarf is a very important item. People who are really serious about PvP battling will analyse "speed tiers" and come up with wacky EV distributions to make sure they spend the right amount of EVs on speed to beat specific threats. Life Orb is important too because if it makes the difference between fainting the opponent and not doing so, and they would have fainted you with their next move, then the 10% drop in HP is not that much of a drawback.

You don't really need perfect IVs but with Hyper Training it's less hassle now to get them if you do want them.

Switching may or may not be bad depending on what the opponent does with their turn. If they use a status move like say, Swords Dance then you're on the back foot; if they use a move that would have been super effective against the mon you did have out but is not very effective against its replacement then you may have the momentum.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Note Block you had Level Ball Magby marked as requested in the Apricorn tab of the Beast Ball spreadsheet. I got one of those in Heart Gold. I can breed it for you if you still need one.

I also marked a bunch of other stuff that I caught in Heart Gold, but I have more. And I still have spare Friendly Shroomishes, HA Dratininis in Beast Ball and Love Ball flavors, and I forgot to mention Sport Ball Scythers to offer. I'm still looking for the usual stuff (HA Patrat, Panpour, and Inkay, or anything I'm missing from the Beast Ball list), but no worries if you don't have any of that to trade in return. I will take pretty much anything.

If you want stuff, my friend code is 3695-0046-6822

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I believe Smogon has a few suggestions for Battle Spot, which is 3v3 singles. I think in general, that metagame doesn't have nearly as much switching because one wrong switch can be much worse than it is when you have a full team of 6. So you're probably going to see more glass cannons, strong, fast, fragile attackers.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Silver Falcon posted:

Note Block you had Level Ball Magby marked as requested in the Apricorn tab of the Beast Ball spreadsheet. I got one of those in Heart Gold. I can breed it for you if you still need one.

I also marked a bunch of other stuff that I caught in Heart Gold, but I have more. And I still have spare Friendly Shroomishes, HA Dratininis in Beast Ball and Love Ball flavors, and I forgot to mention Sport Ball Scythers to offer. I'm still looking for the usual stuff (HA Patrat, Panpour, and Inkay, or anything I'm missing from the Beast Ball list), but no worries if you don't have any of that to trade in return. I will take pretty much anything.

I'm out sick today and I have a poke with a great name and a poke with a pretty good name for one of those dratini and a scyther (one of my fave g1 pokemon!) You got friend. I'm picking the wife up from school and I will post my fc when i get home or you can check my post history in this thread iirc. Also your asking price for these is super generous and really fun, if you think the names are just OK I will do better next time, scouts honor

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

PleasantDirge posted:

I'm out sick today and I have a poke with a great name and a poke with a pretty good name for one of those dratini and a scyther (one of my fave g1 pokemon!) You got friend. I'm picking the wife up from school and I will post my fc when i get home or you can check my post history in this thread iirc. Also your asking price for these is super generous and really fun, if you think the names are just OK I will do better next time, scouts honor

You got it! The Scythers come from OR so I'll tutor Bug Bite and Knock Off onto it before transferring. Those are Scyther's most notable Move Tutor moves, I think.

It'll have Quick Guard on its Move Relearner list. Its other two moves are Defog and Baton Pass.

I'll just grab your friend code from your post history. Let me know when you're home. Easiest way to get a hold of me is in the Discord channel. My username there is the same as it is here.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Anybody have Starf or Lansat berries?

I found someone on GTS offering a Dhelmise holding a Starf berry... for a Celesteela.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Silver Falcon posted:

I've got an HA Inkay and Panpour I can give you for a Shroomish and Beast Dratini.

1977-0156-0209 IGN: Tabitha

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I've got an HA Inkay and Panpour I can give you for a Shroomish and Beast Dratini.

1977-0156-0209 IGN: Tabitha

Dude! That's fantastic! I just added you. I'll be in the plaza for a little while for some trades. My trainer name is Silver. Gimme your in-game name so I don't end up giving your Pokemon to some rando.

Also, PleasantDirge I don't know if you're around at the moment, but I'll be idling in the plaza while I do other stuff. I'll just need to know your trainer name as well. I've had a lot of trade requests from randos.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Silver Falcon posted:

Dude! That's fantastic! I just added you. I'll be in the plaza for a little while for some trades. My trainer name is Silver. Gimme your in-game name so I don't end up giving your Pokemon to some rando.
It's right there in my previous post: Tabitha. And just to be sure, here's my picture as well:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Thanks a bunch! Sorry, I am unobservant and my memory is terrible. Enjoy your new friends!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

Anybody have Starf or Lansat berries?

I found someone on GTS offering a Dhelmise holding a Starf berry... for a Celesteela.

Silver Falcon helped me out (thanks very much), so I have both berries now. Will be able to give them to anyone else that wants them in a few days, when I have some grown.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Fellow goons, I need your help!

I finally caught myself a geodude with galvanize, and am in the process of levelling up, but I'm stuck with a couple of gravelers that I'm sure will be eaten alive in the 4-way battle unless it makes that jump to Golem

Can someone help me evolve this guys? Preferably without running away with my hard-fought pokemon :ohdear:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Parrotine posted:

Fellow goons, I need your help!

I finally caught myself a geodude with galvanize, and am in the process of levelling up, but I'm stuck with a couple of gravelers that I'm sure will be eaten alive in the 4-way battle unless it makes that jump to Golem

Can someone help me evolve this guys? Preferably without running away with my hard-fought pokemon :ohdear:

Yep, if you're still around I'm online right now.

0533-5340-6744, ign is Maika.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Wah, I'm at work! It will have to be later in the day

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Hammerite posted:

Silver Falcon helped me out (thanks very much), so I have both berries now. Will be able to give them to anyone else that wants them in a few days, when I have some grown.

Let me know when you have spares, I'd love to turn my Pelago into a rare berry plantation and pay it forward.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I'm going to stream the final(s) of the goon league tour if people want to watch; it'll be around 9pm EST: https://www.twitch.tv/vine_st

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Hatched my very first shiny in 20 years!

4IV Corphish

Lonely w/Shell Armor
Ancient Power
Dragon Dance
Superpower
Aqua Jet

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Streaming early. I'll put up the replays at the usual time though.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Who was it here that had made a Trick Room Doubles team of Oranguru, Wishiwashi, and Drampa (and I forget the fourth)? I'm in the middle of trying to do the same for the upcoming event in February, but am uncertain how to allocate the Wishiwashi's EVs and moves. I figured Surf, Ice Beam, Protect, and Earthquake, but is the latter a terrible idea if my Oranguru has Inner Focus instead of Telepathy?

I'm also clueless on the Drampa beyond Hyper Voice.

I've never battled competitively before, so sorry about my ignorance.

It was PSWII60, and thanks!

Squats fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 7, 2017

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Silver Falcon posted:

Also, PleasantDirge I don't know if you're around at the moment, but I'll be idling in the plaza while I do other stuff. I'll just need to know your trainer name as well. I've had a lot of trade requests from randos.

IGN is nosferatusoon, I am around now if you are up for some trades because I passed the gently caress out from noon till 6ish tonight. I will put discord on my laptop (my fried my phone that usually has it) and hit you up tomorrow otherwise

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

PleasantDirge posted:

IGN is nosferatusoon, I am around now if you are up for some trades, I will put discord on my laptop (my fried my phone) and hit you up tomorrow otherwise

Yep, I'm here! Come on down to the plaza.