Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
No not necessarily bad. Just, I feel uncomfortable comparing people to Christ.

I know that sounds horrible, but in my mind the whole "Oh lord why have you forsaken me" thing and the whole vast edifice of Christianity are bound up together. And I have a lot of very harsh feelings towards the later part. Perhaps because of that I find it impossible to extricate the "suffering Christ" from the actual reality of governmental violence and cruelty. Or it might be because, to me at least, it sounds more like a "well they followed in the best examples of dying for your faith" and, as I have mentioned before, I find that whole thing deeply questionable.

You should not inflict cruelty because it is cruel, nor should people be asked to bear cruelty because it will make them more like Christ. Again sorry about this, I am probably not communicating as effectively as I should.

On that particular topic the whole role of ethics, if God really does lay them all out and write them down then why is there so much disagreement even internally to the Christian Faith. That and, when you get right down to it, if you are dying for something how has it come to the point where you are dying for it. Afterall you might be wrong.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
also, if someone is suffering, they can often link their sufferings to Christ's, whether as a form of comfort or as a form of sacrifice, and I'm not going to tell them that's wrong

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josef bugman posted:

No not necessarily bad. Just, I feel uncomfortable comparing people to Christ.

I know that sounds horrible, but in my mind the whole "Oh lord why have you forsaken me" thing and the whole vast edifice of Christianity are bound up together. And I have a lot of very harsh feelings towards the later part. Perhaps because of that I find it impossible to extricate the "suffering Christ" from the actual reality of governmental violence and cruelty. Or it might be because, to me at least, it sounds more like a "well they followed in the best examples of dying for your faith" and, as I have mentioned before, I find that whole thing deeply questionable.

You should not inflict cruelty because it is cruel, nor should people be asked to bear cruelty because it will make them more like Christ. Again sorry about this, I am probably not communicating as effectively as I should.

On that particular topic the whole role of ethics, if God really does lay them all out and write them down then why is there so much disagreement even internally to the Christian Faith. That and, when you get right down to it, if you are dying for something how has it come to the point where you are dying for it. Afterall you might be wrong.

first of all, read liberation theology. seriously. read liberation theology.

second, everybody dies eventually. we don't have any choice in that. the only choices we have are about what we do with the lives we've been given, whether it's to sit quietly and do nothing or go outside and try to make the world a better place for everyone regardless of the consequences. personally my inaction shows i've chosen the former even though i'd like to believe i want to do the latter so i guess it's academic but while i get being afraid of death what i don't get is being afraid of doing something that's right regardless of the circumstances. i don't think you need religion or christ to feel that way

i don't know. dying's hard. doing what's right is hard. living is hard. surviving is actually incredibly easy for the most part if you're born in the right place and time at least. i think the big picture thing, whether you believe in god or not, whether you follow the buddha or not, is that ideally you should try to be able to live with yourself and if you can't maybe you made some wrong decisions there

i'm rambling lmao maybe i shouldn't post while feeling existential dread and intense depression lmao

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Senju Kannon posted:

i'm rambling lmao maybe i shouldn't post while feeling existential dread and intense depression lmao

Worthleast posted:

Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.

Cheer up pal!

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm just gonna take a shower, get dolled up, and then take some mildly slutty selfies

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

also, if someone is suffering, they can often link their sufferings to Christ's, whether as a form of comfort or as a form of sacrifice, and I'm not going to tell them that's wrong

Nor would I, but I would be interested to see how often it is taken up by other people as opposed to the people suffering. But that is it's own thing I am sure.

Senju Kannon posted:

Keep safe out there Senju.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Worthleast posted:

Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.

Senju Kannon posted:

i'm just gonna take a shower, get dolled up, and then take some mildly slutty selfies
i'm sure that's the 21st century version of what he was writing about

like i said, i lift weights. i also take a hot bath every night and make sure to remain in contact with my friends around the world. i am also thinking of getting a tattoo to commemorate all this, but i can't decide between "Exodus 23:2" and τυραννοκτόνος

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Good heavens I appreciate the Church of England Compline service at times like this.

Brethren, be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: whom resist, steadfast in the faith.

Stay safe, goons.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Senju Kannon posted:

first of all, read liberation theology. seriously. read liberation theology.

second, everybody dies eventually. we don't have any choice in that. the only choices we have are about what we do with the lives we've been given, whether it's to sit quietly and do nothing or go outside and try to make the world a better place for everyone regardless of the consequences. personally my inaction shows i've chosen the former even though i'd like to believe i want to do the latter so i guess it's academic but while i get being afraid of death what i don't get is being afraid of doing something that's right regardless of the circumstances. i don't think you need religion or christ to feel that way

i don't know. dying's hard. doing what's right is hard. living is hard. surviving is actually incredibly easy for the most part if you're born in the right place and time at least. i think the big picture thing, whether you believe in god or not, whether you follow the buddha or not, is that ideally you should try to be able to live with yourself and if you can't maybe you made some wrong decisions there

Amen to that! I like the way you worded that.

You shouldn't be afraid to die though. Or afraid of anything! Fear is what satan uses to keep us down. If you realize your fears, and go out of your way to face them, God will favor you.

For instance, in afraid of extremely beautiful women. I freeze up and can barely even speak let alone flirt with them. If I keep going out of my way to get over this fear, someday I think a beautiful girl will fall in love with me, and God will grant me happiness.

That's the hope, anyway

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
anyway

Senju Kannon posted:

read the link. chiune sugihara, righteous among nations. he helped save over five thousand jews from the holocaust and was eastern orthodox

there's a japanese orthodox church that's a child church from the russian orthodox church, btw. actually, how do you say that? when an orthodox church isn't exactly independent like russia or greece but is still like, their own church?
no idea. isn't the Finnish Orthodox church like that too?

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

For instance, in afraid of extremely beautiful women. I freeze up and can barely even speak let alone flirt with them. If I keep going out of my way to get over this fear, someday I think a beautiful girl will fall in love with me, and God will grant me happiness.

That's the hope, anyway
happiness comes from inside you, not from the things that happen to you, but i'll pray for you to be less frightened, to meet a woman, and for your happiness

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

happiness comes from inside you, not from the things that happen to you, but i'll pray for you to be less frightened, to meet a woman, and for your happiness
You're right, but you're wrong.

External stimulation alters mood. It is known. Happiness is all in our heads though, so you are right, too.

You can pray for me, but honestly (here comes me sounding like a dick) save your prayers for someone who needs it. Like 3rd world children or dying people.

I'm way to blessed to deserve prayers.

I would say I'd pray for all of you, but you all seem blessed to me as well. Praying for you would be a waste, God already has your backs.

Edit: pray for my grammar tho

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
everyone deserves prayers, my friend

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Both Finnish and Japanese Orthodox churches are autonomous churches under the omophorion of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople and of the Russian Orthodox Church respectively.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

Both Finnish and Japanese Orthodox churches are autonomous churches under the omophorion of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople and of the Russian Orthodox Church respectively.

that's a mouthful

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

that's a mouthful

the orthodox have the best words

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

everyone deserves prayers, my friend

poo poo, you're right

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Senju Kannon posted:

read the link. chiune sugihara, righteous among nations. he helped save over five thousand jews from the holocaust and was eastern orthodox

I read the link. No mention of orthodoxy. Just one mention of him joining a christian fraternity to study english.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ceciltron posted:

I read the link. No mention of orthodoxy. Just one mention of him joining a christian fraternity to study english.

yeah that's weird like i know he was orthodox but it's weird it's only mentioned in like the content aggregation links below the article

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ceciltron posted:

he is orthodox and his baptismal name was pavel, although if i ever have a kid (which isn't likely but let's go with this) if it's a boy my #1 name is Chiune and if it's a girl it will be named for Maria of Paris

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
パべル more like

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I need to consider the religious ramifications of name choice for my eventual kids. Charlemagne and Ignatius just don't seem to roll off the tongue terribly easily.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ceciltron posted:

I need to consider the religious ramifications of name choice for my eventual kids. Charlemagne and Ignatius just don't seem to roll off the tongue terribly easily.

ignatius is a great name. and if it's ignacio then the nickname for that is nacho

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Ceciltron posted:

With Charlemagne everyone would just call them Charley; unfortunately that also means they'd call Ignatius Iggy.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 6, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HEY GAIL posted:

ignatius is a great name. and if it's ignacio then the nickname for that is nacho

the goon name :ohdear:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i had a manager who shortened her name, anastasia, to stasi

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Sorry about this, but I found this weirdly inappropriate and I can't put into words why. I think it might be because the people that suffered persecution had it happen over multiple generations and probably had worse lives, had to deal with all the very human crap that everyone deals with. I think comparing peoples suffering to Christ's seems to diminish the peoples. I am not sure why I think this though.

I don't completely disagree with where you're coming from, either. Jesus the hypothetically-possible historical man could only have lived one life, as a Jewish preacher in Roman-Occupied Palestine, and he could at most have known one life's worth of suffering. It would literally take God-level divinity to be with all suffering and all sufferers, including the Japanese believers, their non-believers, everyone who posts in this thread, their mothers and fathers, and literally everyone. That's why it is still a leap of faith for me to profess a statement like, "Jesus is the Christ, God the Son," versus "Jesus was an inspired prophet," And I don't begrudge people who do not make that leap of faith. It's not like climate-science denial; it does take faith to call something/someone divine.

And even further, professing a leap of faith is minor to actually having it meaningfully applied to living. It is much more important to first do no harm than to chitchat about the ultimate importance of first doing no harm.

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

I would say I'd pray for all of you, but you all seem blessed to me as well. Praying for you would be a waste, God already has your backs.

Most certainly please pray for me.

One of the things I've learned from Pope Francis especially is to remember to ask for prayer, because even when one is pope, one is never not a sinner. I am a sinner; I err in ways I can even see and have choices over. This is not a ploy; it's the sad reality.

But the reality also has joy and an ultimately happy ending. That is another part of my Christian leap of faith.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Okay bro. I don't pray for anyone but my family and friends, I'll admit it. Maybe I'm selfish, maybe I just done care. Anyways, Ima dick.

But I'm going to pray for you. Legit, tell me what you want, and I will go down on my knees, and say a pray just for you. Tell me what you want me to say, and I'll ask God and see what he says.

I'm serious. I'm curious tbh to see the answer

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Lately I worry that my demons will make me an intolerable husband and father, so I would like serious intentions on that.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I want to fight against what's happening in the US but I'm also worried my heart will become hardened and if anyone wants to pray for me, pray that I love my enemies.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

I want to fight against what's happening in the US but I'm also worried my heart will become hardened and if anyone wants to pray for me, pray that I love my enemies.

You got it, fam.

The grace to love your enemies is attainable :)

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Ceciltron posted:

i love the name ignatius but i could never name my kid that because i had a really fun summer affair with a guy named ignatius, like "summer affair you remember for the rest of your life" levels of fun, and it would be too weird.

HEY GAIL posted:

linking your suffering to that of Christ is like the heart and soul of catholicism. whenever i'm asked "so what's the biggest thing that separates catholic and protestant spirituality?" i always say that catholics view suffering as an opportunity for grace and sanctification, because by linking your own suffering to that of Christ, you allow His love to make itself manifest in you. implicit in the act of doing that is "i may not deserve this but i'm going to accept it on behalf of others who don't have the agency that i do" and that's a very holy thing to do.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

i love the name ignatius but i could never name my kid that because i had a really fun summer affair with a guy named ignatius, like "summer affair you remember for the rest of your life" levels of fun, and it would be too weird.
my best friend and my boyfriend have the same name, and my best friend's son has the same name as my boyfriend's mother. my boyfriend's father has the same name as...my ex.

my life is basically a list of French kings

ed: you got some with a dude named nacho. goongrats

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 6, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
see i avoid this problem by remembering none of my lovers' names

well except my boyfriend's but between you guys and me, time will tell

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

HEY GAIL posted:

ed: you got some with a dude named nacho. goongrats

plz see your confessor about this because i'm not forgiving you for it until God does

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Caufman posted:

Lately I worry that my demons will make me an intolerable husband and father, so I would like serious intentions on that.

Smoke and retribution (feat vince staples) - flume

I can try to interpret it for you if you'd like, but better to listen to it for yourself.

Pretend like the singers are God himself speaking.

Sorry if that's a bad answer, I have a limited amount of music ton my phone :(

Ps: looking up the lyrics and listening to the song are not the same. Better to do both at once.

Edit: okay and one song was apparently not enough. Listen to 'bloom-odesza' directly after. Maybe the first song was too harsh? I promise God isn't a dick he just tells it like it is

Edit edit; okay I think this is more for me than you, but lol either way.

Toby Keith's " how do you like me now"

A funny anecdote about God talking to me though my songs: after i found out jesus was "always watching" I felt mad guilty about masturbation for some reason. Or maybe I was just creeped out. Like stop watching me jerk off you gently caress.

Anyways I jerk off, then immediately think about what God's gunna say about it, so I turn on my phone and click next on shuffle,....

The song is gooey by glass animals

Havnt laughed that that hard in a while. God, you one funny motherfucker

I LIKE COOKIE fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 6, 2017

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

HEY GAIL posted:

The Bavarian nickname for “Ignaz“ has somehow fallen out of favour in recent times (it's Nazi)

e: in Bavaria many farms carry a specific name that often goes back to the farm's founder or at least an important farmer who lived there. Near my hometown there is a farm that, at least into the 70s, was colloquially known as “the Nazi farm“ :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Spanish_diminutives_of_given_names
http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/where-do-mexican-nicknames-come-from-6406797

the thing about spanish nicknames is that sounds become palatalized in the nickname, which is why the joke goes that chewbacca was hispanic Chuy Baca = Jesus Baca

System Metternich posted:

e: in Bavaria many farms carry a specific name that often goes back to the farm's founder or at least an important farmer who lived there. Near my hometown there is a farm that, at least into the 70s, was colloquially known as “the Nazi farm“ :v:
the Nazi farm? :v:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

the Nazi farm? :v:

I believe it supplies food to the Hitler Building.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Is this thread exclusively about dwelling in the past? What about the future!?

After praying for that one goon I got a fun idea. But I need a guinea pig.

So pray pray pray for something. I already know that God talks in epigrams so a yes/no question won't necessary get you a yes or no answer like you desire. Maybe pray for something complex? Or i dunno. Pray for whatever.

Anyways, you pray for it, then I say your username (lol) and use my music magic and we can see if it works.

My guess is no, but if you don't ask, you don't receive! Jesus is my boy, we tight.

So who? I'm curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Thirteen Orphans posted:

unfortunately that also means they'd call Ignatius Iggy.

How is this not a good thing? :dance:

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Is this thread exclusively about dwelling in the past? What about the future!?

After praying for that one goon I got a fun idea. But I need a guinea pig.

So pray pray pray for something. I already know that God talks in epigrams so a yes/no question won't necessary get you a yes or no answer like you desire. Maybe pray for something complex? Or i dunno. Pray for whatever.

Anyways, you pray for it, then I say your username (lol) and use my music magic and we can see if it works.

My guess is no, but if you don't ask, you don't receive! Jesus is my boy, we tight.

So who? I'm curious

Dude, are you okay? I've seen you posting a lot in TCC and now you're rambling here. Stay safe.

• Locked thread