Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

The Sexual Shiite posted:

restore balance
negate

Hmm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

The secret sideboard tech of cascading into negate

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Friday night, I'm on bant spirits and my opponent is on artifact restore balance.

Game 2, i had gone t1 heierarch t2 stony silence and mausoleum wanderer, and he was trying to make things work with lands. I was playing cautiously, and holding two collected company. He'd been hardcasting some border posts, searching for enchantment hate, and I'd been playing lands and hardcast dudes, holding my cocos for a few turns, hitting with my wanderer for three, thanks to two heierarchs on the field.

I cast qasali pridemage. He cast march against the machines to turn his artifacts on. I blow it up with my pridemage. He cast ardent plea and cascaded to restore balance. I cast coco, hit two mausoleum wanderers. I sacc'd the one at three power, and he paid the extra mana to get around the counter. I sacc'd the two power, and he pays. I sacc'd the one power, and he couldn't pay.

He casts metalwork colossus. I'm out of counters, but I have a path to exile, so I let it resolve, then path. He counters with Negate. I coco, desperate. I hit phantasmal image, which I use to copy his colossus. I also hit My second Qasali Pridemage, and blow up his colossus. He looks at the battlefield and the clock with 7 minutes left. He scoops, and we start game 3, with him saying that he can at least keep the match a draw if he doesn't win quick.

I draw a perfect hand and take him out on turn 4.

I also recently converted from U/W spirits to bant and 4-0'd. Deck is legit. I posted a report in the eternal thread, including a win over G/W tron which I thought was one of the decks worst matchups. Great choice in deck!

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

clamiam45 posted:

I don't think this is economics... The problem here from my perspective is WotC's pretending that there is a good reason to not reprint cards more aggressively. Speaking more generally, I think they're too accepting of status quo relationships with second parties.
Supply and demand bro.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

clamiam45 posted:

I don't think this is economics... The problem here from my perspective is WotC's pretending that there is a good reason to not reprint cards more aggressively. Speaking more generally, I think they're too accepting of status quo relationships with second parties.

They've lacked any kind of solid vision and were happy with the status quo for years which is why they've been embarrassed by Hearthstone. They made the game such a tough sell because drafting is expensive, especially when you are new or bad at it, and playing constructed is a ridiculous investment for a new player, compared to Hearthstone where you can spend nothing, or spend a fraction of the amount and start playing with a competitive deck.

I started actually playing again when they reintroduced leagues, but the competition lets people pay little or nothing in comparison, and has a much more visually appealing game. I don't even understand how people can watch the Pro Tour, you can't see anything. They should have the feature matches played through MTGO. They should have been throwing their weight behind the digital side of the game for years.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

While they probably should take better care of the digital side of the game, I think that they should actually double down on the physical, face-to-face game and really push that. Hearthstone is a game made from the ground up to be digital, so it's hard for magic to compete in that area. Magic lets you interact with real people face to face, which is something that digital CCGs can't offer. The reason I play magic is because it's a really good game and you're not just sitting home alone behind a screen, but hanging out and having fun and smoking dope with friends in real life while playing a cool rear end game.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

In TYOOL 2017 it should not cost $300+ to play an online game

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Maybe they should have more cards like face to face and stone-cold basilisk

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

I might have the counterspell wrong.

Disallow, not negate. Sorry.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
love too smoke dope with my friends

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Bonus posted:

Magic lets you interact with real people face to face,

Outside of playing with my immediate friends whose company I enjoy outside of Magic also, this is a liability, not a benefit. I have never had fun playing against a stranger at a card store and love that I can play online.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Yeah just chill with friends and play board games instead of MTG. I can play many free TCGs digitally when I'm home alone or on the phone.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah I agree, it's not like everyone is a super good guy. I was mostly referring to regularly going to events as groups of friends, like informal teams. During the breaks you find each other and tell them about your game or how weird your opponent was and joke around. Lots of players are in facebook chats with like 4-10 people in them that talk about mtg stuff and go to events together. Seems to me like wizards should encourage that sort of camaraderie by giving players the ability to make teams and track their achievements and progress as a team. Lots of young people like to play games competitively together with friends (like dota, etc.) Hire me wizards

hey mom its 420 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 6, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Terrible Horse posted:

Outside of playing with my immediate friends whose company I enjoy outside of Magic also, this is a liability, not a benefit. I have never had fun playing against a stranger at a card store and love that I can play online.

If you have honestly never had fun playing against a stranger you might be the liability.

I think magic players would prefer to play paper and modo if modo was actually good/inexpensive. Especially considering you can already do the pptq/rptq online. Both help each other.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Bonus posted:

Yeah I agree, it's not like everyone is a super good guy. I was mostly referring to regularly going to events as groups of friends, like informal teams. During the breaks you find each other and tell them about your game or how weird your opponent was and joke around. Lots of players are in facebook chats with like 4-10 people in them that talk about mtg stuff and go to events together. Seems to me like wizards should encourage that sort of camaraderie by giving players the ability to make teams and track their achievements and progress as a team. Lots of young people like to play games competitively together with friends (like dota, etc.) Hire me wizards

I recommend people not take up magic unless they have something like this. When my friends scaled back playing so did I. Now my lgs is closing I don't see myself playing much at all until digital nex, sadly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I only play Magic by Cubing.

Cubing is awesome.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I only play Magic with people that I've screened through an online dating app. I must have a 99% match in order to consider them worth my time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Star Man posted:

I only play Magic with people that I've screened through an online dating app. I must have a 99% match in order to consider them worth my time.

Does Farmer's Only actually have that many people aware of MTG

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Soul Glo posted:

Does Farmer's Only actually have that many people aware of MTG

Sure.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

If you have honestly never had fun playing against a stranger you might be the liability.

I think magic players would prefer to play paper and modo if modo was actually good/inexpensive. Especially considering you can already do the pptq/rptq online. Both help each other.

Yeah, I've had almost entirely positive experiences with playing in paper. Especially in older formats and in bigger tournaments. In 10 rounds at Champs, for example, I had one mildly unpleasant opponent who complained about how badly mana screwed he was (after having turn 1 Chalice for 0 to hit 2 of my Moxes and Wasting me 4x.) Everyone else was really pleasant, even while losing badly.

I got into MTGO so I could play vintage, and specifically Caleb's Survival list because holy crap is it sweet. Then I bought into paper vintage instead. Then I sold out of both. I have 2 paper legacy decks, 1 on MTGO, a few bad paper modern decks, some pauper decks on both, and that's it.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Sickening posted:

"Never had fun" is an exaggeration. I've had fine experiences at prereleases or whatever. Never anything that made me think "I'm so glad I'm not playing online" though.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I need more of these MTG friends. PM me if you live in Nowhere, North Carolina thank you.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

bigperm posted:

I need more of these MTG friends. PM me if you live in Nowhere, North Carolina thank you.

Which part of NC?

I've made really close friends playing paper magic the last few years. Friends with normal lives, professional careers, etc. Going to be best man at a wedding in may for someone I met playing magic at my local shop a few years ago. If you're having bad experiences all the time playing paper magic then you've either got a really terrible store or you are the problem.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
there are both chill people and lovely people playing magic.

just choose to hang out with the chill people instead of the lovely ones

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wait there's a magic scene in the carolinas?
Maybe moving to south carolina might not involve selling my collection..

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Count Bleck posted:

80% of the Carolinas are like an hour away from a good card shop.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

moving to the carolinas involves moving to the carolinas, which should be your first clue its not a good idea

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Which part of NC?

I've made really close friends playing paper magic the last few years. Friends with normal lives, professional careers, etc. Going to be best man at a wedding in may for someone I met playing magic at my local shop a few years ago. If you're having bad experiences all the time playing paper magic then you've either got a really terrible store or you are the problem.

North of Greensboro. I haven't been playing magic long and I've only been to one event at a store (excepting the Aether Revolt Prerelease), a Commander tournament that was listed as a casual event but I was totally out of my league there and left before even being eliminated.

Truth be told that event really turned me off even going to a store. There was a guy there, he was very nice and I don't have anything bad to say about him as a person but like... all of his cards were in tinted sleeves, most of them were signed so you couldn't read them, most of his planeswalkers were in Japanese and he's dropping mana crypt and all these $$$ cards and I just didn't want anything to do with it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Speaking of tinted sleeves, there is this cute trend of people buying the new dragon shield perfect fits that tint the back of the cards to help dfc cards. They use them but turn the tinted part to the front which gives your cards a tinted window effect. It's really hard to view a card from an opponents view. So far I have only seen it at fnm but yeah, little annoying.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

moving to the carolinas involves moving to the carolinas, which should be your first clue its not a good idea

NC is great if you just kinda ignore our terrible political bullshit. Which is hard to do and it cost us our GP but some of us are here fighting it out.

Hellsau posted:

80% of the Carolinas are like an hour away from a good card shop.

This is true. We've got like 5 in the greater Asheville area, although each one kinda appeals to different people.

bigperm posted:

Truth be told that event really turned me off even going to a store. There was a guy there, he was very nice and I don't have anything bad to say about him as a person but like... all of his cards were in tinted sleeves, most of them were signed so you couldn't read them, most of his planeswalkers were in Japanese and he's dropping mana crypt and all these $$$ cards and I just didn't want anything to do with it.

Ah yeah I moved away from that area a few years back. Lucky's used to be a decent card shop and was where most of the fighting game scene had tournaments for years, I think they're still around.

Just ignore bling decks, it's just for collectors to show off, as long as people aren't obnoxiously showy about it. People can unintentionally be intimidating to new players with stuff they don't think about but a lot of the time people are eager to offer help for upgrading a deck if you ask. If people are being toxic, well, that sucks. A lot of times if you mention your deck is budget, people will pull out secondary decks or maybe won't target you as much. Try a few more times and maybe you'll find some players more on your deck power level and avoid EDH tournaments at all costs forever.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For what it's worth, the MTR explicitly says:

quote:

Sleeves with hologram patterns across some or all of the sleeve front or back are not allowed. 

And if I remember rightly, the reason for not allowing them on the front of the card is because they're supposed to be legible from the opponent's side of the table. So even if tinted sleeves aren't explicitly banned, the whole concept of "sleeves that make it hard for your opponent to distinguish your cards" is on dubious ground.

Also, the head judge of an event has final authority over which sleeves are allowed. So in general, I think if someone tried that trick in a serious event, all they'd accomplish is getting to spend a bunch of time de-sleeving and re-sleeving their deck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The best way to deal with Magic players is to stand up on the table, unzip your pants, and piss all over their cards and their face. Actually, do this to everyone you ever meet.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bonus posted:

This is a really good idea.

Edit: I would appreciate some advice on Abzan Chord. Are builds with voice superior, and how good is the Saffi / renegade rallier combo.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 6, 2017

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jabor posted:

For what it's worth, the MTR explicitly says:

code:
Sleeves with hologram patterns across some or all of the sleeve front or back are not allowed
And if I remember rightly, the reason for not allowing them on the front of the card is because they're supposed to be legible from the opponent's side of the table. So even if tinted sleeves aren't explicitly banned, the whole concept of "sleeves that make it hard for your opponent to distinguish your cards" is on dubious ground.

Also, the head judge of an event has final authority over which sleeves are allowed. So in general, I think if someone tried that trick in a serious event, all they'd accomplish is getting to spend a bunch of time de-sleeving and re-sleeving their deck.

OTOH, if you're looking for some sick nasty hologram effects on your cards head on over to https://oracleinserts.com/

I'm really tempted by this

It's not like the fire effect obscures which lightning bolt variant I just cast while it's sitting in my graveyard.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Oh those are neat. Would definitely use with an edh deck.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
NC chat: I lived in Durham for ten years and Atomic Empire (nee Sci-fi Genre) was always great. I can vouch for their friendliness, good-hygiene-promoting, decent price ways. Game Theory (Raleigh) and Cape Fear Games (Wilmington) were also really welcoming, but I only played there a couple times.

Marketing New Brain posted:

They've lacked any kind of solid vision and were happy with the status quo for years which is why they've been embarrassed by Hearthstone. They made the game such a tough sell because drafting is expensive, especially when you are new or bad at it, and playing constructed is a ridiculous investment for a new player, compared to Hearthstone where you can spend nothing, or spend a fraction of the amount and start playing with a competitive deck.

I started actually playing again when they reintroduced leagues, but the competition lets people pay little or nothing in comparison, and has a much more visually appealing game. I don't even understand how people can watch the Pro Tour, you can't see anything. They should have the feature matches played through MTGO. They should have been throwing their weight behind the digital side of the game for years.

Hell yeah, agree with all of it. I listened to all of Pro Tour Battle for Zendikar as audio-only and feel like I missed almost nothing because of how hard it is to just see the drat cards normally.

Some Numbers posted:

I only play Magic by Cubing.

Cubing is awesome.

Again hell yeah. I wish they kept some variation of cube up on Magic Online all the time.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I realized today that I only live an hour and half away from Star City Games. Too far for any FNM stuff but I'll be going there for the Amonket prerelease.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bigperm posted:

I realized today that I only live an hour and half away from Star City Games. Too far for any FNM stuff but I'll be going there for the Amonket prerelease.

i used to live an hour from roanoke, scg is cool but there isn't a whole lot else to do there

in this, it is much like all of va outside the dc area (well other then hiking, lots of good hiking everywhere in va)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

MisterOblivious posted:

OTOH, if you're looking for some sick nasty hologram effects on your cards head on over to https://oracleinserts.com/

I'm really tempted by this

It's not like the fire effect obscures which lightning bolt variant I just cast while it's sitting in my graveyard.

So are these the new anime sleeves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

So are these the new anime sleeves?

they are neither new nor exclusive when i was playing (and used anime sleeves of yang wen-li) i'd use these for my outer double sleeve https://www.amazon.com/KMC-Standard-Oversize-Deck-Protectors/dp/B00BFLY7XY

• Locked thread