Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

"superdelegates" - no conscious, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first we have got to bring them to heel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

we already had party elders overturn the popular will of the party once. in 1968. and the result was a riot and chaos in the convention. today, it would be a hundred times worse.

which is why had bernie won, the superdelegates wouldn't have blocked him

at this point it is a vestige...unless the winner is a fascist, in which case it's a vital tool to still have around. the way they were wielded as a weapon to boost perceptions of hillary's inevitability by the dnc was the problem, not their very existence

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Feb 6, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

"superdelegates" - no conscious, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first we have got to bring them to heel.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Superdelegates are probably more trouble than they're worth though I have to admit that Trump Insurance sounds pretty drat good at the moment.

And naah, I like Webb (though he's probably in the wrong party) but Lawrence Lessig was also (sort of) running for president and you can't tell me he was a better candidate than Hillary.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
poo poo, innocent abuelita actually said black children have to be brought to heel because they have no conscience or empathy :popeye:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
like how do you think thats a good candidate to run in the year of our lord 2016, oh and additionally shes actively being investigated by the FBI.

I'm serious Maddy, GIVE ME THAT DOLLAR

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im with HER
im WITH her
IM with her

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

like how do you think thats a good candidate to run in the year of our lord 2016, oh and additionally shes actively being investigated by the FBI.

I dunno but she overwhelmingly won black voters so I guess they know more than you about how offended they should be about a 25 year old quote in support of a bill that St. Bernard even voted for

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I'm serious Maddy, GIVE ME THAT DOLLAR

can we all bond over how amusing that was because lol

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ4PYVATBac

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

zegermans posted:

I dunno but she overwhelmingly won black voters so I guess they know more than you about how offended they should be about a 25 year old quote in support of a bill that St. Bernard even voted for

Do you have any sources on why they voted for her so heavily?

Because I remember reading that a lot of them didnt think Bernie could win but Hillary would and they werent willing to take a risk on a worse candidate, on which point I will be more than happy to point out that those people were wrong

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
they are a monolith

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i made this exact same joke like 3 months ago or something lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
though it probably wasnt as well executed

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

That would have worked as an ad.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious who looks at fight song and sensual pantsuit anthem and can look me in the eye and say "these people aren't stupid enough to use the superdelegates to override the popular vote"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

GlyphGryph posted:

Do you have any sources on why they voted for her so heavily?

Because I remember reading that a lot of them didnt think Bernie could win but Hillary would and they werent willing to take a risk on a worse candidate, on which point I will be more than happy to point out that those people were wrong

i don't think there's any single reason "why." the cnn exit of south carolina is probably handy here, since it was early and only 35% white: http://www.cnn.com/election/primaries/polls/sc/Dem

here's a few highlights.

-electability was the bottom ranked issue for SC dems, by far

-sanders wasn't popular among sc democratic primary voters as a whole, with only 58% saying they'd be satisified with him as nominee

-sanders didn't do well on race relations question either.

overall, it seems clear that sanders problem wasn't really electability. he just was not particularly popular among black voters and his message simply did not connect with that demo in the way it did with white voters. i will point out that black voters in the south skew older and more conservative, which might be a factor.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/828427378586157057

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

-electability was the bottom ranked issue for SC dems, by far

Well they got exactly what they wanted.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

So many black voters went overwhelmingly for her that Trump is now president

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:suicide:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

aaaahhhhhhh

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
There should be one superdelegate per state, assigned by essay contest or something. or just gently caress it and let the democratic party run on democratic principles.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

https://twitter.com/sgrant525/status/828427801955074049

I don't even know who's real and who's trolling anymore.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Nanomashoes posted:

Well they got exactly what they wanted.
:vince:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

here's a few highlights.

Can you explain this to me, because I can not make heads or tails of those whatever-they-areas. What does "top candidate quality"? mean? Why is the "key" a list of percentages? What does "1st" mean? Why does the page linked indicate grey is republican and blue is dem? Is there a way to see what the actual questions were? Maybe that would help.

I can not parse this, please help. Why does CNN always have such terrible poll result visualizations, I have never had a problem reading, like, PPP results, but every time someone links to CNN polls I am immediately lost. Is there someone that isn't CNN that did exit polls I could possible read?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahah.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

GlyphGryph posted:

Can you explain this to me, because I can not make heads or tails of those whatever-they-areas. What does "top candidate quality"? mean? Why is the "key" a list of percentages? What does "1st" mean? Why does the page linked indicate grey is republican and blue is dem? Is there a way to see what the actual questions were? Maybe that would help.

I can not parse this, please help. Why does CNN always have such terrible poll result visualizations, I have never had a problem reading, like, PPP results, but every time someone links to CNN polls I am immediately lost. Is there someone that isn't CNN that did exit polls I could possible read?

bro all that matters is that abuelita has higher percentages in all these important sounding categories so therefore she's gonna win in 2020

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

GlyphGryph posted:

12% rated electability the highest, of those 12%, 82% went Clinton, 18% Bernie, and so on.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Thoguh posted:

12% rated electability the highest, of those 12%, 82% went Clinton, 18% Bernie, and so on.

this, also grey isn't republican. it just means you have the dem results active. if you click the R, it takes you to the republican exit poll

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Hahahahahaha did Mook get a job at the Atlanta Falcons?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

This is twice within 3 months I've pulled for someone/something I completely despise only to be brutally disappointed.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is twice within 3 months I've pulled for someone/something I completely despise only to be brutally disappointed.

life comes at you fast

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a dolphins fan so like tom brady's very existence has been a personal hell

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Jazerus posted:

if you want to eliminate superdelegates entirely you're being short-sighted

do you really think trump couldn't have subverted the dems too? just spout the same message, appeal to reagan democrats and pick up temporary converts from the republicans consisting mostly of the deplorables, the oldest of them remembering the good old days when the democrats were the white supremacists

bing bing bong, so simple

seriously, an antidemocratic mechanism is a needed thing in a party. if bernie had won the popular vote then the superdelegates would have shifted to him just like they did to obama in 08, he's not so far outside the mainstream that they would override the voters.

the dnc's ability to be partial to a particular candidate is a good example of an antidemocratic mechanism that needs to go, because it creates a bias toward the establishment. but the superdelegates need to stay, because it is the kind of way to stop an authoritarian candidate that the non-fascist republicans wish they had had now

superdelegates probably shouldn't be allowed to indicate their preferences until after the primaries though

No no no. Super delegates would have kept Bernie out if he actually won the states. Trump couldn't have won the democratic primary that is bullshit.

gently caress this anti democratic poo poo. It's a sure fire way to never move the party forward.

The Kingfish has issued a correction as of 05:24 on Feb 6, 2017

KRock
Aug 13, 2007
College Slice
It's totally fine to get rid of superdelegates, who cares, but anyone who harps on them due to the undemocratic nature of their existence but has utterly nothing to say about the existence of caucuses is a hypocritical piece of poo poo

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Caucuses are like 100X more democratic than superdelegates. You can't even compare the two.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i'm more democratic than you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Let's vote on it.

• Locked thread