Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They closed my local library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I agree with the practice of closing libraries should they contain Twilight or Twilight knockoffs.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thats every library (and like a third of whats popular womens lit nowadays)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The anti-Twilight hysteria is so embarrassing in retrospect, especially when it came from people who gave something as silly as Harry Potter a pass.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Davincie posted:

thats every library (and like a third of whats popular womens lit nowadays)

RIP all libraries

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

"Little Bitty Pretty One" starts playing in my head every time I look at this.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
they cant be worse than cape comics

or mahouka

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Phobophilia posted:

they cant be worse than cape comics

or mahouka

In the third book the werewolf imprints on Bellas unborn daughter so that she will marry him when she comes of age

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The anti-Twilight hysteria is so embarrassing in retrospect, especially when it came from people who gave something as silly as Harry Potter a pass.

Harry Potter isn't Tolkien or anything but it has way way way less hosed up views on gender relations and womens' agency than Twilight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Harry Potter isn't Tolkien or anything

Yeah, for one, it's good.

Fight me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, for one, it's good.

Fight me.

I respect your opinions even though I don't agree with it. :argh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

paragon1 posted:

I respect your opinions even though I don't agree with it. :argh:

If I wanted to read a history book, I'd go to a drat classroom.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
“As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character stretched his legs’. I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling’s mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.” - Harold Bloom

"Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, 'If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King.' And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read 'Harry Potter' you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King." - Harold Bloom

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 5, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cliches > pedophilia apology, arranged marriage, and abusive relationships IMO

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If you are too sniffy to like Harry Potter why the gently caress are you watching Little Witch Academia.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Things that don't work in one medium can work in another. For example, some idea that doesn't work as literature can work as a cartoon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I haven't read a Harry Potter book in years, I just saw an opportunity to drag Tolkien and went for it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

In the third book the werewolf imprints on Bellas unborn daughter so that she will marry him when she comes of age

Is it true that Bella breaks her back giving birth or did I get meme'd on?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Futaba Anzu posted:

That was the fourth book, the same one where it sets up this whole big conspiracy/massive vampire battle plot and then just says "Wait, nevermind, that would be way too interesting!" and makes the last few hundred pages of the series completely meaningless.

The first three I don't remember being that offensively bad, but it's been years since I read them and Edward's a giant punchable rear end in a top hat the whole time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yeah, baby:drac: kills her.

But don't worry, she gets better.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jesus

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

AnoHito posted:

That was the fourth book, the same one where it sets up this whole big conspiracy/massive vampire battle plot and then just says "Wait, nevermind, that would be way too interesting!" and makes the last few hundred pages of the series completely meaningless.

The first three I don't remember being that offensively bad, but it's been years since I read them and Edward's a giant punchable rear end in a top hat the whole time.

I watched that movie (without having watched the prequels) because the trailers made it look like it was a massive vampire/werewolf war. I was sorely disappointed when it turned out that basically all the combat had been shown in the trailers.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Stephanie Meyer takes the "what if Superman's baby kicks?" joke and runs with it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so when did this become the bitch about twilight/harry potter thread

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have a feeling that if Twilight was written as a Japanese light novel and adapted into an anime I'd probably unironically watch it. It's the typical sorta fantasy wish fulfillment thing, bland everyday normal person gets swept up into strange happenings and falls in love with a mysterious demihuman and ends up in a love triangle/harem situation with other demihumans because they love the character for their honesty and bland kindness.

But in this case it's genderflipped so I'd 100% watch it because I have an odd fondness for Otome.

The only reason why I don't read Twilight even though logically it's basically what I already like based on its tropes is because of some troubling things about one of the books being a giant metaphor for abstinence before marriage that I don't care for and don't wish to endorse.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Dear god, Akko is like, 80s shounen anime level hot blooded.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

new evangelion looking lit

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

truly, i have found a spell stronger than gun

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
a good episode
a good spell

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
is the scar on the moon a reference to another work

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The fight scene was a whole lot of fun, I must say. The ending strained credulity a little bit (oh come on, the teachers were really stupid enough to sign a contract they couldn't even READ despite the language apparently being easy enough for a gifted 12 year old to pick up?), but Diana's animation and voice actress sold it well enough to make it work.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

The fight scene was a whole lot of fun, I must say. The ending strained credulity a little bit (oh come on, the teachers were really stupid enough to sign a contract they couldn't even READ despite the language apparently being easy enough for a gifted 12 year old to pick up?), but Diana's animation and voice actress sold it well enough to make it work.
They didn't sign it, it was 1000 years old. They were bound by it. It's also probably a language that's almost entirely worthless in the modern era. Seeing as Diana is a massive overachiever she probably was just going through her family library or something.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Malloc Voidstar posted:

They didn't sign it, it was 1000 years old. They were bound by it. It's also probably a language that's almost entirely worthless in the modern era. Seeing as Diana is a massive overachiever she probably was just going through her family library or something.

Still a bit of a reach that they don't keep anyone around who can read it though, right? But whatever, I'm nitpicking.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/SieteSeventh/status/828452267120549889

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spiritus Nox posted:

Still a bit of a reach that they don't keep anyone around who can read it though, right? But whatever, I'm nitpicking.

They seem to be pretty incompetent.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

what if magic is neurotoxic so all old mages are poo poo at finances

maybe they need two books to have a purification scene and 50 pages of reactions to the purification

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe
What's the point of learning magic if you can't even use it outside the school? The thing Akko used in the relay race was a living creature of some kind with no need for magical energy given it flew well beyond the philosophers stone's range. In a world where magic is dying, extremely limited, and seeped in traditions that threaten to bring it to extinction, mere talent in magic alone shows exactly how worthless it is. Their entire way of life relies on something so easily stolen you'd wonder if it meant anything to them at all. They need something more, something else.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Trigger know about McCoy's crisps. :vince:

The amount of research in making this show well travelled and accurate to our earth is impressive as all heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Wow some people really seem to hate Diana.

• Locked thread