Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Silly Burrito posted:

Has anyone here tried an AirTV? The specs looks pretty decent for $99, with hard wired ethernet and a remote finder as well while using Android TV.

https://www.airtv.net/

https://www.groundedreason.com/airtv/

Ports: 2 USB, 100 Mb Ethernet, TOSLINK digital audio, HDMI
Supports up to 4k UHD video
Supports 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz Wifi g/n/ac
CPU: quad core A53 @ 1.2Ghz RAM: 1GB Onboard Storage: 8GB

As much as I'd like getting another Shield TV, I wonder if this will fit the bill. I almost got the Mi Box, but I don't want to use wireless.

What does that do that Shield w/OTA tuner and Live Channels doesn't?

If it's just a matter of cost, pay the difference to get the Shield and be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ixian posted:

If it's just a matter of cost, pay the difference to get the Shield and be happy.

Costs $100 less when I already have an HTPC and Tivo in the living room. I just want a cheap interface for Android TV in there. You're right, I may end up with another Shield, but I just like seeing what's new out there.

I just rehooked up the Roku 3 to the front living room for now. Keeping the Apple TV while we have DirecTV Now, so the PS3 HDMI input had to be sacrificed. I just do not like the Apple TV.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ixian posted:

Do the OTA channels integrate with the Sling app on the Shield too?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Super bowl not showing up on fox go app or the NFL app. I thought it was suppose to be available to live stream.

On an Apple TV and I am watching it in Spanish on the ps vue fox Spanish channel. Only place it is showing up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fun Shoe
It is literally being broadcasted to your house for free through the air.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Ok. It was also suppose to be streamed like every other year. And even is listed on the app. But if you click on it it does nothing.

Edit

The fox sports go app is showing the game on the Xbox but not the Apple TV. Odd

badjohny fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 6, 2017

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I'm watching it through the Fox Sports Go app on my AppleTV currently

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm currently watching it using ancient technology of shooting radio waves through the air. And it looks fantastic.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I'm currently watching it using ancient technology of shooting radio waves through the air. And it looks fantastic.

No buffering, but it cuts out if I turn my lights on.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Seriously. I know there is a fascination with and seeming requirement to stream things, but OTA HD signals are stupid good these days.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Pretty much the only not-awesome things about OTA TV is the lack of boobs and the number of ads, and the latter only applies to non-PBS so hooray OTA TV.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

hotsauce posted:

Seriously. I know there is a fascination with and seeming requirement to stream things, but OTA HD signals are stupid good these days.
Depends on where you live. And sometimes, in my case, the weather.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
DTVN had pretty solid streaming of the Super Bowl on Fox. Worked out nicely.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
My cutting will not occur like I had hoped! However my situation is not as terrible as I thought it would be.

A year ago I was able to negotiate with DTV for 3 TVs, HD DVR, no premiums for about $57.

My contract is up and my bill was set to go back to $121+. Called them up so I could cancel and move to Vue as I find their service superior for my needs compared to DTVN. Mainly DVR capability.

In the end my bill will only go up $7 and free SHO with no contract extention so it will be just month to mouth. About $65, approx 50% less than what I was paying a year ago still. I still have my 3 month DTVN prepaid and will be watching for updates, but as it is, my choices are either DTV and have everything (with locals) for $65ish or VUE (they did add local CBS) no premiums for $45.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MrBigglesworth posted:

My cutting will not occur like I had hoped! However my situation is not as terrible as I thought it would be.

A year ago I was able to negotiate with DTV for 3 TVs, HD DVR, no premiums for about $57.

My contract is up and my bill was set to go back to $121+. Called them up so I could cancel and move to Vue as I find their service superior for my needs compared to DTVN. Mainly DVR capability.

In the end my bill will only go up $7 and free SHO with no contract extention so it will be just month to mouth. About $65, approx 50% less than what I was paying a year ago still. I still have my 3 month DTVN prepaid and will be watching for updates, but as it is, my choices are either DTV and have everything (with locals) for $65ish or VUE (they did add local CBS) no premiums for $45.

Just keep an eye on that month to month, with no contract they can jack up your rate with no warning.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

DTVNow has finally stopped sucking, at least on Fire. Their On Demand stuff actually works perfectly fine now, to boot. Dunno if I'd pay full price as of yet, but for $40 for 100 channels and HBO, it's kinda hard to beat.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

flosofl posted:

Just keep an eye on that month to month, with no contract they can jack up your rate with no warning.

No kidding. Last month Google announced they are no longer looking to expand their fiber network to my town so this month Xfinity is raising my rate.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

so we got rid of cable a while back and chose the cheapest ps vue option based on channels / cloud dvr / quality etc. we use a roku, though it's to some degree an arbitrary choice because we could use the tv, console, etc. for streaming. preliminary trip report:

- we realized the cheapest option still has more channels than we really need
- stream quality is v good / reliable
- even with max bandwidth, we're saving compared to having cable
- roku ps vue interface leaves a lot to be desired (episode details cut off, no built in channel guide for live tv, just a basic grid format etc.), but is manageable

overall, we're very satisfied

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
For those of you using streaming apps, how conscious are you about data usage? My wife leaves the tv on for hours at a time and we're in one of those Xfinity capped data markets.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

TheWevel posted:

For those of you using streaming apps, how conscious are you about data usage? My wife leaves the tv on for hours at a time and we're in one of those Xfinity capped data markets.

Most apps will auto-stop after a few hours if there's zero activity (remote). DTV Now does it after 4, for example.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No caps on RCN. :coolfish:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TheWevel posted:

For those of you using streaming apps, how conscious are you about data usage?
Very. Even with my AppleTV set the 720p (not sure if that makes a difference) DTVN appears to use roughly 3.5 GB/hr. In our unusual(ly low cap) case, it's pretty much the same price to have Internet + cable + TiVo as it is upgraded internet + $35 DTVN. And the former obviously results in a better service. Oh well. Maybe in a few years.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Data usage caps on ISPs are still a thing I they US? :stare:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

It's more like "now a thing," and Trump's FCC is gonna make it "forever a thing."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comcast's is like 1 TB per month, which isn't an unreasonably small amount, though even normies could burn through that without too terribly much trouble.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

TheWevel posted:

Very. I log in every other day to check where we are. I've explained the situation to my wife and asked that she use the Channels app for background noise. That or the music app. Works great for us.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Comcast's is like 1 TB per month, which isn't an unreasonably small amount, though even normies could burn through that without too terribly much trouble.

I'm sure they will start shifting that number downwards soon to maximize profit. That's how it started up here, oh look a cap, who cares its so large it doesn't matter.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

FiOS in NYC thus far doesn't throttle or cap. They just rolled out a new 750/750mb line for $150 a month because they're specifically targeting the streaming market. Wonder if that's all gonna be hosed soon. :ohdear:

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
We had an awesome cable service in my house (they even offered 4K service) but the price was just getting to us and we cut the cord on Monday. So far, so good with a setup of an HDHomerun Extend with Plex DVR & DirectvNow on gigabit fiber. We are using AppleTV's in 2 rooms (with Channels for OTA) and FireTV Sticks in the other rooms. Only downfall has been the performance of the FireTV Sticks. They've always ran so well with Plex but they run like dog poo poo with DirectvNow & the OTA channels on Plex. Absolute garbage. Are the AppleTV's really a preferable way of going about this?

Anyone heard anything new on the Hulu service? I'm super excited for it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

For OTA TV you're gonna need either a ShieldTV (best), an Apple TV(also good), find a Nexus Player somewhere (fine), or one of the newer FireTV boxen. That poo poo just doesn't transcode well, you want something that can take that dusty-rear end MPEG2 and play it directly. Or a modern game console, but that's a whole other thing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
AT&T is more an optional data cap, 1TB (I have used 161GB in three weeks), Unlimited if you have DirecTV or U-Verse, Unlimited for $30 extra dollars a month or unlimited if you get Gigabit internet.

They are installing my fiber in the next couple of weeks, depending on the deal and it's supposed to be a decent deal I might sign up for Gigabit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Three Olives posted:

AT&T is more an optional data cap, 1TB (I have used 161GB in three weeks), Unlimited if you have DirecTV or U-Verse, Unlimited for $30 extra dollars a month or unlimited if you get Gigabit internet.

They are installing my fiber in the next couple of weeks, depending on the deal and it's supposed to be a decent deal I might sign up for Gigabit.

Yeah, Comcast is $50 extra if you want unlimited or $10 per 50GB over 1TB that caps at $200, so it may be cost effective to just pay overages if your overage is occasional and/or less than 1250GB total/mo. The most I've had was 960 GB in one month, but I was working from home for 80% of the month and was streaming poo poo as background noise mostly. Now that I've discovered some OTA gems, I expect my data usage to plummet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

4k stuff on Amazon/Netflix will chew through about 13gb an hour. It would still take almost 80 hours of streaming to blow through a TB a month, but not too far fetched if you were doing something like a Breaking Bad marathon.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, that's why I review my usage every month. Comcast gives you two "grace" months of going over 1 TB. So if it start to look like I'm going to go over on a regular basis, I'll just spend the $50/month to never have to worry about it.

It sucks, but they're the best of the various providers I have available in my neighborhood and have the highest data cap. And I will be fair, while their TV delivery consistently sucked (esp considering how much it cost), Internet service from them has always been rock solid. I can't even remember the last time my Internet service was out for more than an hour or two (and the last outage was over a year ago).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

How's the PS Vue web interface? I do have a ps4 but I'd like to just continue using the PC for everything but console games rather than switching inputs a bunch.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I like it just fine, uses oversized thumbnails kind of like Netflix. Pretty snappy on Chrome.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Random app question for anyone with Rokus. I've had a 2016 model Roku stick that when I open up Hulu it opens but everything is grey like it won't load. The only way to fix it would be to exit and reopen the app or hit enter into something and then hit back to the main Hulu screen. That seems to fix it. This happened every single time on my stick and assumed I just had a bum stick since I deleted and reinstalled Hulu and got the same thing. Well I bought another stick last week for my bedroom and dad gummit, the same thing happens. Is this just a Roku thing or a Roku stick thing?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My roku 4 does that too. I have to do the same thing so I am guessing it is a bug on Hulu's end.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've never seen that behavior on TiVo, FireTV, WebOS, or AndroidTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I find that Hulu apps generally suck. The service is fine and good, but the apps are just a lot of loading for every single individual graphic and UI element. And occasional bugs.

I can only compare them to Netflix which is the only other streaming service I subscribe to, so I could be wrong about "sucking" I guess.