Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuppie Scum
Nov 28, 2003

Fortune and glory, kids. Fortune and glory.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What do you consider the best-written film in the same genre as the prequels?

Krull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zeris posted:

The Fifth Element

Are you quoting Tezzor, because he said he liked that too. But come on, Fifth Element? Have you watched that in the last 15 years? It has everything people claim to hate about the prequels, it's just not Star Wars so it gets a pass.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Are there any other science fiction films (at least, to the extent that Star Wars is science fiction) that take place in a setting that doesn't contain an Earth?

I think this might be one of the more unique elements of the Star Wars films.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Spaceballs, of course. And who can forget Starcrash?

(More seriously, I don't think "Old Earth" is mentioned anywhere in Lynch's Dune.)

Schwarzwald posted:

Are there any other science fiction films (at least, to the extent that Star Wars is science fiction) that take place in a setting that doesn't contain an Earth?

I used to think that Star Wars wasn't "really" science fiction. But if the question "Are droids slaves?" is some kind of radical confrontation for people, then yes it totally is.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 3, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I considered saying fantasy instead, but I didn't want to inadvertently lead to a derail on whether or not the Lord of the Rings or whatever takes place on "actual" Earth.

It does seem to be a rare thing, though, even if you include fantasy. The few films I can think of that come close don't have human characters.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lotr is on this earth.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

euphronius posted:

Lotr is on this earth.

He means Lord of the Rings not Lord of the Ratings

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Known Star Wars ripoff Battle Beyond the Stars.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The 5th Elements

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

The Riddick trilogy.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Riddick trilogy.

They have Muslims and Space Mecca so Earth exists.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Known Star Wars ripoff Battle Beyond the Stars.

Nah, George Peppard's character (I think that's him) makes references to old Earth on occasion.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hm, you're right.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
Well they're trying to find Earth in BSG, so that's partway there.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Is Chronicles of Riddick good? I remember liking it a lot when it came out but I haven't seen it in forever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's not good at all but i think it's entertaining

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If it's not good, would we open palm slam the VHS into the VCR every morning and perform the moves we see on screen?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

UmOk posted:

Is Chronicles of Riddick good? I remember liking it a lot when it came out but I haven't seen it in forever.

It's got some great setpieces and not much else, but those setpieces are enough to carry the movie to the end. It makes me sad that we got Vin Diesel growling at a space dog in a desert for two hours instead of a better-written sequel, because the visual design of Chronicles is great.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I think you mean "an Earth" as in an analogue to Earth right? So a common point of origin for humans/society? The EU (I think KOTOR) hinted at this but in the context of the movies it's not clear.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Silver Brushes posted:

I think you mean "an Earth" as in an analogue to Earth right? So a common point of origin for humans/society? The EU (I think KOTOR) hinted at this but in the context of the movies it's not clear.

I meant "an Earth" both because portrayals of the planet can vary wildly between different stories and because it's relatively common for it to be renamed (often to Terra) as an easy way to establish that a story takes place in the future where nouns are different now.

I'm not sure I agree that it's not clear in the context of the movies. The very fact that it's never brought up speaks to, if not the an absence of an Earth, at least the irrelevance of Earth. And while every planet in the series is somewhat analogous, they are still quite explicitly someplace else.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Star Wars happened a long time ago. Maybe Hand Sorbo was an ancient alien.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There is space media that are virtually Earthless, in that Earth is casually absent from the story and equally (ir)relevant to all its locations, but still mentioned in passing to add detail to the setting and/or explain why the characters are portrayed by human actors.

Now that I think of it, the early entries in Isaac Asimov's Foundation series were Earthless, but later ones made it explicit that the forgotten and irrelevant origin planet was not only Earth, but the same Earth as some of his other novels, which is demonstrated when a character goes there. Similarly, the early volumes of Yoshiki Tanaka's Legend of the Galactic Heroes series make no reference to Earth except that it's a neglected, depleted, and depopulated backwater, but later gains prominence as the subject of the political obsessions of a radical cult. Both these stories feature a Galactic Empire that dominates the setting. Similar to this is the TV series Firefly, which remarks its population is descended from emigrants from Earth and never goes back there, and which has a polity that is certainly imperial but calls itself an Alliance. All three are rather more ambiguous than the Galactic Empire of Star Wars.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Dune is similar, in that while the Earth is irrelevant it is still a real place in the setting that exists, or at least once existed.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Going back to the parsec talk, Lucas's own explanation (given on the DVD commentary for ANH iirc) is that Han actually was using legitimate terminology to describe an actual thing: hyperdrive speed is described using distance units because speed is determined primarily by how efficient your computer is at calculating routes around obstructions in space. Han was just bullshitting about having actually completed the Kessel Run in that short of a distance.

I mean, Lucas's explanation is itself obviously just an after-the-fact justification for him having used a technical term wrong*, but I think it still establishes artist's intent that Han isn't a complete loving idiot who doesn't know how space works, he's just a boastful liar.

Does it really matter, though? The point is that Han is lying. He didn't complete the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs.

*Though it must be noted, it is the same explanation he gave to licensors when writing universe guidelines a few months after the movie came out:

George Lucas, August 1977 posted:

“It’s of Corellian design, from Crell, and is used primarily by the Corellian spice shippers. They transport their goods to the center of the Empire. The Corellian ship is a very easy ship to know. It’s a very simple ship, very economical ship, although the modifications he made to it are rather extensive—mostly to the navigation system to get through hyperspace in the shortest possible distance (par-sects).

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 4, 2017

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I hope this plays over the credits.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm a fan of skeletons in general.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

There is space media that are virtually Earthless, in that Earth is casually absent from the story and equally (ir)relevant to all its locations, but still mentioned in passing to add detail to the setting and/or explain why the characters are portrayed by human actors.

Now that I think of it, the early entries in Isaac Asimov's Foundation series were Earthless, but later ones made it explicit that the forgotten and irrelevant origin planet was not only Earth, but the same Earth as some of his other novels, which is demonstrated when a character goes there. Similarly, the early volumes of Yoshiki Tanaka's Legend of the Galactic Heroes series make no reference to Earth except that it's a neglected, depleted, and depopulated backwater, but later gains prominence as the subject of the political obsessions of a radical cult. Both these stories feature a Galactic Empire that dominates the setting. Similar to this is the TV series Firefly, which remarks its population is descended from emigrants from Earth and never goes back there, and which has a polity that is certainly imperial but calls itself an Alliance. All three are rather more ambiguous than the Galactic Empire of Star Wars.

To what I'm sure was many's chagrin, The Clone Wars actually establishes that, in a sense, all life in the Star Wars galaxy ultimately sprang from a common source, in that the midi-chlorians that make all life possible originated on a single, mysterious planet at the center of the galaxy and somehow dispersed throughout the rest of the galaxy in a grand cosmic fertilization. In typical Star Wars fashion, it's basically the myth of the Garden of Eden crossed with an extreme version of the scientific theory of panspermia. And appropriately enough, it's where Yoda travels in order to learn the secret of immortality.

Though it should be noted that while the physical planet, which appears as a barren ice rock, is clearly real, the lush Edenic interior from which the midi-chlorians ostensibly originated and which Yoda travels to is much more ambiguous and ethereal. Artoo is there with Yoda on the surface and can't detect any signs of life with his mechanical sensors, even though Yoda senses a powerful life presence in the interior through the Force. Yoda entrusts Artoo with his lightsaber (he leaves his weapon behind, just as he instructs Luke to do when entering the quasi-mystical cave on Dagobah), and travels into the interior alone. So it's not exactly clear how literal of a place the interior of the planet is, or how much it is literally the "birthplace" of the midi-chlorians. (Though there are visible throngs of luminous plasma shooting out from geysers all over the planet and stretching out in all directions through space.)

I think, much after the fashion of midi-chlorians themselves, the planet is an ambiguously physical and ambiguously mystical place. It's like if a knight during the Middle Ages were to travel to Ethiopia, fly up to the summit of a mountain on a hippogriff, pass through a wall of blinding light, and then wake up in the Eden of Biblical myth. When he returned again to the mundane world, who could say where he had really traveled to?

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 4, 2017

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
To me, the arc that ends season 6 is meant to play a counterpoint to an earlier, similar storyline where Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka get lost inside a giant Sith holocron and discover some weird metaphor planet with people-creatures that represent the literal Dark Side, Light Side and Force.

Now, I'm not privy to every detail of the Clone Wars' development, but I feel like the latter arc (which was written earlier) probably came from the staff, while Season 6's stories were more tightly controlled by Lucas himself. The idea of Anakin 'bringing balance to the Force' by being equally Light and Dark is a very popular fan theory, and there's evidence to suggest a lot of people in-universe think it's true (like the Sith themselves), but George Lucas has always been clear that 'bringing balance to the Force' is about overcoming the Dark Side, and nobody ever talks about 'the Light Side of the Force' until TFA.

(I just saw a short interview with David Feloni which says George Lucas was very involved with the Mortis arc and ended up cutting out some Sith lords from KOTOR that he decided didn't agree with how he saw the Force, so while I think my broader points have merit this episode isn't a fuckup by somebody else or anything.)

Mostly people confuse the Force with Taoism (and yin and yang) when it's actually Buddhism in space, except the Buddhists are hypocrites and idiots and we should be listening to jesus our conscience instead. Hell, that arc I mentioned earlier uses really obvious yin-yang imagery, which seems like a pretty clear sign that someone hosed up (although since the entire thing takes place inside a giant Sith holocron and is treated as 'just a dream' afterwards it's vague enough to be meaningless).

This is why 'grey' characters like Mace Windu fail. They set the universe up to be a dichotomy that they're defying, when all they're doing is acting 'unethically, but not unethically enough to be evil'. The willingness to be evil in order to stop a greater evil is what leads to the Dark Side, not 'feeling emotions' or whatever.

e: on a lighter note, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfcu_dhwVA4&t=141s

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 8, 2017

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

It's just a dril tweet but Star Wars.

Hey this planet got folks so low they gotta sell loose death sticks in the street to live.

Republic: My goodness let me immediately mind control this guy to change his entire life whew I'm like the savior of Tatooine.

This planet is also all about slavery and executing people for non-immediate obedi-

Republic: NOW HOLD ON A MINUTE THOSE ARE THE HUTT'S POLITICAL BELIEFS AND I RESPECT THEIR RIGHT TO EXPRESS THOSE BELIEFS.

you're right. that is just like a dril tweet

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So I guess MTV or whoever made this when the cast for TFA was announced or something.

This picture is awesome to me because of how wrong they were about the various roles these actors eventually portrayed.

Jedi Boyega and Jedi Gleeson are great. Also Boba Adam Driver and there's Andy Serkis with a gun.

Mark Hamill looks more tired than Harrison Ford and obviously Daisy Ridley is a princess.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

So I guess MTV or whoever made this when the cast for TFA was announced or something.

This picture is awesome to me because of how wrong they were about the various roles these actors eventually portrayed.

Jedi Boyega and Jedi Gleeson are great. Also Boba Adam Driver and there's Andy Serkis with a gun.

Mark Hamill looks more tired than Harrison Ford and obviously Daisy Ridley is a princess.

That Snoke looks way cooler than the one in the movie

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Domnhall Gleeson will portray a Young Obi Wan (Ewan) and the cycle will continue

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

drat, idiots couldn't even predict c3-po's new red arm

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Are you quoting Tezzor, because he said he liked that too. But come on, Fifth Element? Have you watched that in the last 15 years? It has everything people claim to hate about the prequels, it's just not Star Wars so it gets a pass.

Fifth Element is 1) tongue in cheek & intentionally campy with far less room for debate than Star Wars and 2) banking off the former, it simply isn't held up to the same expectations and therefore has a greater freedom to be whatever it wants, receive recognition for what works and forgiveness for what doesn't, and so establishes itself more remarkably.

It's less limited by the form.

No, I am not quoting tezzor and don't care about or want to deal with that derail buzzword or name whatever it is

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't mind Fifth Element, it's fun in its own way, but in general I want my fantasy space adventures to be a little more in earnest. I see what you're saying, but I'd probably rather watch Attack of the Clones 4 out of 5 times over that.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the writers for the clone wars are the greatest :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2sjvbtk1kw&t=99s

(hello there)

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Is there a non-pain-in-the-rear end way to view/download Harmy's Despecialzed Edition? On a Mac, if that matters.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Got what might be a bit of an odd question, but it'll help on a project I'm putting together.

A New Hope was directly influenced by Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, but in space, and with robots, rather than peasants.

Eragon is A New Hope, but with dragons and worse dialogue.

Can anyone think of any other book/movies/whatever that directly follow the plot of A New Hope?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean ANH is a pretty traditional 12 steps of a hero with traditional 3 act structure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Got what might be a bit of an odd question, but it'll help on a project I'm putting together.

A New Hope was directly influenced by Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, but in space, and with robots, rather than peasants.

Eragon is A New Hope, but with dragons and worse dialogue.

Can anyone think of any other book/movies/whatever that directly follow the plot of A New Hope?

The Force Awakens

:goonsay:

• Locked thread