Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

A lot of people on Twitter also seemed to make this misunderstanding. The pile in the third panel is other good RE games.

I knew it already, but it did kind of confuse me for a sec because Resi 4 is a lot more action-y than any of the others. Not to the level of 6 or 5, but it seems slightly inconsistent. Obviously there's nuance to the issue but the joke/scene is fairly simple so it doesn't leave a lot of room to say "4 was a perfect balancing act of action and horror" when the main point is "less action more horror is what makes good Resi games".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hank Hill is an rear end in a top hat who is wrong all the time. HTH

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MariusLecter posted:

He know how to sell propane

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MariusLecter posted:

He knows how to kick your rear end.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

corn in the bible posted:

He know how to sell propane

And propane accessories.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

He knows how to kick your rear end.

Also he really good at GTA Online.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
anti-hank hill is more anti-american than anything the republicans cry about

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

WickedHate posted:

I knew it already, but it did kind of confuse me for a sec because Resi 4 is a lot more action-y than any of the others. Not to the level of 6 or 5, but it seems slightly inconsistent. Obviously there's nuance to the issue but the joke/scene is fairly simple so it doesn't leave a lot of room to say "4 was a perfect balancing act of action and horror" when the main point is "less action more horror is what makes good Resi games".

It also varies from person to person. Like, RE7's brand of horror didn't feel schlocky enough to be "Resident Evil" to me, it took itself too seriously. RE0 had the same issue.

Maybe it wasn't too serious all the time, though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

It also varies from person to person. Like, RE7's brand of horror didn't feel schlocky enough to be "Resident Evil" to me, it took itself too seriously. RE0 had the same issue.

Maybe it wasn't too serious all the time, though.

The first three games were pretty cut and dry when it was originally Japanese, it only got silly when the translation came into play. The first intentionally schlocky RE game was 4 as far as I remember, right down to AMERICAN PRETTY BOY SAVES PRESIDENT'S DAUGHTER FROM SCARY FOREIGN ZOMBIES. And then there was zombie Napoleon...

Also, RE7 got pretty silly at times, especially when some of the bosses. Chainsaw battle much?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ramos posted:

Also, RE7 got pretty silly at times, especially when some of the bosses. Chainsaw battle much?

Not to mention that Ethan is so nonplussed about everything he sees that it borders on absurdity.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RE0's problem was that it was a prequel that introduced more plot issues than it cleared up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Man this roguelike is fun but it needs to be SEXIER"- a thought someone apparently had

Unrelated;

Waffleman_ posted:

RE0's problem was that it was a prequel that introduced more plot issues than it cleared up.

Do people actually play RE games for the plot though. Even in the good ones the writing is schlocky nonsense.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

Do people actually play RE games for the plot though. Even in the good ones the writing is schlocky nonsense.

Me, I'm the guy. The plot is awful and hilariously bad but I love it.

I think originally the mansion incident was supposed to have been secretly engineered by Wesker as part of his diabolical plot to die and come back to life as a monsterman. It was all blamed on a nerd who later injected himself with the "TG Virus" that turned him into a big blue lady with electric tits and organic high heels.

Then RE0 happened and it was actually an accident caused by a leech taking the form of a younger version of the old man who raised it and it was just leeches all the way down. He was killed by Wesker and Birkin because. Just because.

Oh and at some point while all this was happening Wesker and Birkin kidnapped the daughter of the dude who built the mansion and just injected her with every crazy disease they invented until she grew eyes all over the place and Birkin decided that was amazing.

He was later shot, injected with his own crazy eye juice and then impregnated his own daughter before turning into a giant blob and exploding. :bravo:

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Prequels in all mediums are terrible. It's all lazy writers using unnecessary back story as as a hole and shredded story elements as fiber then out pops a log of narrative poo poo.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The plot of Resident Evil peaked with ITCHY TASTY.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Yume Nikki characters, Crypt of the NecroDancer music: http://leahcinnamon.tumblr.com/post/146156808849/yume-nikki-coupled-with-crypt-of-the-necrodancer

Or if you can navigate NicoNico, the source: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm28222588

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Internet Kraken posted:

"Man this roguelike is fun but it needs to be SEXIER"- a thought someone apparently had

A petty reason to be annoyed, but Dowan is supposed to be the good looking one, while Duvessa is supposed to be plain looking.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Is that a sword, a tail, or a pointy silver poo poo? All three seem plausible from the art.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Elfface posted:

Is that a sword, a tail, or a pointy silver poo poo? All three seem plausible from the art.

Can't it be all three?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Man, now I really want to see some good DCSS art :(

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Man, now I really want to see some good DCSS art :(
Internet Kraken made some pretty cool stuff for the Crawl thread.

Internet Kraken posted:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kfkEVjAph8

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ash The Young Poke-Pope appears to be a villain in a Pokemon game.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

This broke for me for whatever reason.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Ah yes, I forgot Ash grew up to become Kirei Kotomine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Someone made every enemy from Pikmin 1 & 2 out of Lego.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKjPSZlCpIE

World Famous W posted:

Internet Kraken made some pretty cool stuff for the Crawl thread.

They said good art though.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Internet Kraken posted:

Someone made every enemy from Pikmin 1 & 2 out of Lego.

That's the sickest poo poo ever. Pikmin has some of the best enemy design, doubled once you get the cookbook entries.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

pulp rag posted:

That's the sickest poo poo ever. Pikmin has some of the best enemy design, doubled once you get the cookbook entries.

Pikmin 2 is a very good game. Too bad pikmin 3 removed a lot of the very good things it did for no real reason. Thank you, nintendo, for removing the awesome c-stick feature that let me command my pikmin on the fly! I didn't need them to dodge that fat thing jumping at them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's been gone since the Wii ports of the first two games.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Also Pikmin 3 added some extremely good quality of life features like the Onions merging together, locking on and sending your dudes out in a swarm, sending your other captains to walk places while you do something else, etc.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

That's been gone since the Wii ports of the first two games.

:negative:

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Also Pikmin 3 added some extremely good quality of life features like the Onions merging together, locking on and sending your dudes out in a swarm, sending your other captains to walk places while you do something else, etc.

I never managed to get too far in 3 because the gameplay just felt so bogged down by annoyances like not being able to tell my pikmin to move to the left instead of just walking into a puddle. The swarming mechanic felt useless because by the time they reached the dude and swarmed, it was already time to call them back or they'd all die. Plus bringing back pikmin one style days and adding a juice timer even if you weren't really in danger of running out wasn't especially fun. Pikmin 2 was great because you could take as long as you want and the game wouldn't poo poo on you for it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The juice timer is a non-issue because even if you're completely awful at the game you'll finish it with like forty days worth left.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

To be honest, creating life out thin air sounds way creepier. At least the magic laser puppy golems are cute.

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Feb 7, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Internet Kraken posted:

They said good art though.
I say they are good art and I will hear no further argument.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inuXNNe7Hmc

:pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

MariusLecter posted:

He's a good dad.

(someone post that comic)