Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
On the subject of the core set, willingdone did a great retrospective on it and how the cards worked in the set and what they did for the game later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUDvQgsqlPk

It's pretty useful even for core set only players, as it goes over the strongest factions that came out of the core set and the decks its cards lean into.

The whole playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUDvQgsqlPk&list=PLBHiTkdWCxnRWrdceoGbLN7l1eWeUs4an

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lichtenstein posted:

A super-duper 5 ICE Archive is actually the best thing you can hope for - you don't really need to run that server all that often, so it's a lot of resources and tempo committed to a server you don't really give a flying gently caress about because you can just bide your time for a single 15+ cards access in the late game.

Also between Parasite/Deja Vu and Yog, spare ice is at a premium

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

robotsinmyhead posted:

I guess at this point I make another pass at the rulebook, cause it feels like I'm missing something that makes the Runner not feel like he's constantly feeling desperate for a decent move. Noise is a good example because his entire gimmick can be negated with one decent ICE. Once he finds an answer to that ICE, the Corp can just throw another one on it and start the cycle over. It doesn't feel fun at all.

Noise's gimmick isn't just 'put agendas in archives'. He gets free trashes by doing stuff he wants to do anyway, and there's nothing the corp can do to stop it. And if the corp is stopping your Medium runs on R&D with one ICE, why not Parasite it and then hit it with your Datasuckers?

Always be running. Force the corp to spend money rezzing ice. What's the worst they can do to you? Neural Katana or Archer, probably, but gently caress it.

I think core set runner is stupidly advantaged in retrospect, but only with a lot of card knowledge and practice.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
robotsinmyhead, you could set up some basic core set games with friendly goons on jinteki.net, have them play the runner, and talk you through their decisions each turn.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I'm always happy to play CORE set games on Jinteki.net, cos that's what I am most familiar with.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

mitochondritom posted:

I'm always happy to play CORE set games on Jinteki.net, cos that's what I am most familiar with.

:same:

I really like Kate with wyldside, nice and simple running.

NBN was good in core back before astroscript got banned, now you're pretty much stuck with HB.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

General Battuta posted:

Noise's gimmick isn't just 'put agendas in archives'. He gets free trashes by doing stuff he wants to do anyway, and there's nothing the corp can do to stop it. And if the corp is stopping your Medium runs on R&D with one ICE, why not Parasite it and then hit it with your Datasuckers?

Always be running. Force the corp to spend money rezzing ice. What's the worst they can do to you? Neural Katana or Archer, probably, but gently caress it.

I think core set runner is stupidly advantaged in retrospect, but only with a lot of card knowledge and practice.

I'm gonna call bad luck on that particular game then because I never even saw a Datasucker. I pulled a Parasite, but it was so late that it didn't really matter much. IIRC, I Parasite'd the Archer on his R&D, but he had enough credits to install new ICE on the server.

I'll just keep grinding away until this clicks. I think a big part of my frustration is the guy I've been playing with the most is loving slooooow, and I'm over here planning my moves while he's going and the whole game feels sluggish. So I'm blaming him.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Eh, as much as I loved NBN from the very beginning, I think it definitely coasted on the fact everyone was bad back then. It wasn't until the pack with both Beale and Midseasons that its agenda game really got scary and it had to import boith virtually all of its economy and non-porous ice.

It was really all about lucking into getting astrotrain going on and runners making straight up mistakes (like facechecking on the last click). I really can't see it winning a core/core-and-most-of-genesis-cycle game between two experienced players nowadays.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm gonna call bad luck on that particular game then because I never even saw a Datasucker. I pulled a Parasite, but it was so late that it didn't really matter much. IIRC, I Parasite'd the Archer on his R&D, but he had enough credits to install new ICE on the server.

I'll just keep grinding away until this clicks. I think a big part of my frustration is the guy I've been playing with the most is loving slooooow, and I'm over here planning my moves while he's going and the whole game feels sluggish. So I'm blaming him.

Use your Djinns to find your mediums, parasites, and datasuckers. Your economy sucks as core set anarch so consider splashing Magnum Opus and sticking it on your Djinns - or better yet Aesop's to sell dead viruses and turn off your Wyldside.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Well I'm a big dummy. I taught my kid how to play today and tried out Noise again - we were playing open-handed so I could learn him some rules. I ended up drawing the cards that make Noise work the way he's supposed to work and it was a hell of a lot more effective than just about any other time I've played a Runner. I'm now under the impression that my previous times playing as the Runner were almost extraordinary runs of bad luck stacked on with being new, of course.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Hey folks,

Game Over. I want to first offer a short apology that the league was perhaps not run as well as previous ones. I should have attended it more diligently. I didn't deliver the best possible play experience to the players involved. I hope you still got an interesting game or two in. If anyone else wants to take up the league, I encourage you to do so. Please don't feel the need to keep up the over-the-top binary counting scheme or god awful fiction intros. Just run a league people want to play in.

Jacking Out. I'm going to try to keep this brief. I don't want this to be a "sky is falling" downer post, but I feel I have been on this community long enough to warrant a wave off. I'm stepping away from Netrunner for the foreseeable future. I'm going to pick up Terminal Directive, it seems like a reasonable end point and I hope I can have some fun playing through it. I'm not selling off my collection, but I won't be getting Red Sands or being engaged in Organized Play.

I'm getting out for two reasons, the more personal of which I'll tell in a moment. The other is, of course, the meta. I am exhausted of the current Anarchs vs whatever meta. If you're enjoying it, great, I'm happy for you. If you don't play at events, I'm quite glad you don't have to care about it. Sifr, Rumor Mill, and Parasite as they presently exist threaten the stability and longevity of the game. And, frankly, Netrunner to me has always been a game about "that next piece of ice." That play has so radically shifted from that interaction leaves me disheartened and confused. It feels like the "bluff and bait" game has been replaced by a binary question of "Do you have the win?" Will Rotation fix some things? Maybe, but it remains no less than seven months away. And we've been harping on it for two loving years.

The B Side. This is the more personal part and I hope you don't mind lending me an audience for a moment longer. I got into Netrunner in late 2013. A friend gave me a Core set and Creation & Control as housewarming gifts as I moved into my first apartment. A relationship had ended badly for me a couple months before and living alone in a tiny apartment was probably not the healthiest place to be. But drat if Netrunner wasn't the best thing I had going for me. My first game against anyone other than the friend that jumped me in was against Lucas Muxi Li, who would go on to win US Nationals in 2015. I stole three Astroscripts on lucky access and lost. It was a blast.

My friend and I got other folks in. We started going to tourneys and started bringing home prizes. We played at our houses, at the pub, and on the monstrosity that was OCTGN. I was one of the first players playing Replicating Perfection Fun Police and Shaper Stealth. I won the first local Store Championship in 2015 with those decks. I had a better mind for bluffing and baiting, years on the debate team maybe, but mostly I had more time for the game. The guy that got me in is a workaholic and between business trips, stopped coming to events.

I tried to get a new crop of players in. My then-girlfriend gave it a shot. We worked with another local to try to get a Lady Netrunners playgroup together. But she's not a cutthroat and didn't stick with it. I reconnected with a college classmate who played. His roommate / partner / I don't really know did too, but they really didn't enjoy the prospect of event play. I must have met half a dozen "ghost players" that had competitive decks, followed the game, and never once went to an event. Other friends moved or got out entirely. Two of my close friends straight up told me that Netrunner was too hard and that they only enjoy M:tG Commander, a format I find asinine.

To each their own. Really. But I'm left without the players I want to play against, or the decks I want to play. So I'm turning off the lights for a while. I really hope I can come back sooner-than-later. And to anybody reading, thank you. The Netrunner community remains wonderful, full of engaging people that I legitimately haven't seen in other tabletop games. I can count on one hand the number of mouth-breathing scumlords that give so many hobby games a bad name. And I've seen a community that embraces the values the US has been trying to tear out of itself. If you're wondering if you should go to an event, believe me, you should.

Good runs all,
Nick

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 6, 2017

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Ah, that's a shame, but I suppose there is no point in playing if you aren't into it anymore. Thanks for all your work organizing the tournaments, I really enjoyed them (even the binary counting and fan-fiction intros!).

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

:rip:

Seriously, though, sorry to see you go, but I definitely feel your reasons for giving ANR a break. Hopefully the game sorts itself out over the next year in terms of what strategies are encouraged, and you're able to find a playgroup once it does.

Also thanks for running the Jinteki leagues, they've been pretty fun.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
:( SIFR destroys more than just ice...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'll miss your posts, but take the time off. Thanks for all you've shared with us here.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Random insane idea: how would a tournament / league work with MtG standard rules? Aka, can only use cards from the last two years. So, for Netrunner, that would be from Order and Chaos and up. gently caress it, maybe also increase minimum deck size by 15 (so the average deck is 60 cards) and increase each card limit to 4. MtGrunner.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Random insane idea: how would a tournament / league work with MtG standard rules? Aka, can only use cards from the last two years. So, for Netrunner, that would be from Order and Chaos and up. gently caress it, maybe also increase minimum deck size by 15 (so the average deck is 60 cards) and increase each card limit to 4. MtGrunner.

4x limit and increased deck size cancel out while inconveniencing everyone, though I like the pool change to force use of overlooked cards.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

We just need 1.1.1.1 to take hold as the EDH/explore weird cards format and rotation to hit and everything will be better.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

We just need 1.1.1.1 to take hold as the EDH/explore weird cards format and rotation to hit and everything will be better.

The first thing my friend noted when playing Netrunner was how well it would work (at least from a lore perspective, if that matters) to do a 2-headed Giant game where 2 runners go against 1 Corp (that has some sort of "buffed" deck/mechanics)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

4x limit and increased deck size cancel out while inconveniencing everyone, though I like the pool change to force use of overlooked cards.

I feel like the 4x cards with increased deck limit WOULD give more room for more niche strategies and cards, although limiting the card pool to only be the last two years would probably force that anyways so yeah probably not the best idea.

And yeah, 1.1.1.1 rules, I wish it were more widespread.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Twice the Parasite recursion :unsmigghh:

What's 1111?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

1 core, 1 deluxe, 1 datapack, 1 card

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

General Battuta posted:

Twice the Parasite recursion :unsmigghh:

What's 1111?

You get 1 core set (so you don’t get 2 or 3 desperados), choose 1 big box, 1 data pack, and then 1 card (from any set or data pack) that you can have max copies of. Then you build your deck with those choices. You get different choices for runner and corp, and you can choose any ID. You keep any errata on cards, but no MWL.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 7, 2017

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

The first thing my friend noted when playing Netrunner was how well it would work (at least from a lore perspective, if that matters) to do a 2-headed Giant game where 2 runners go against 1 Corp (that has some sort of "buffed" deck/mechanics)

I'll run ice destruction, you run out of the ashes and data breach

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i honestly just want a cheaper way to draft. i think the pricing is reasonable but i wish more people were in on it, it's my favorite way to netrunner.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

i honestly just want a cheaper way to draft. i think the pricing is reasonable but i wish more people were in on it, it's my favorite way to netrunner.

cubes are good, my only problem is that I have to keep track of which cards I take out of it to make decks so I can put them back in.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cubes are good and you can do it online. I havent played constructed in months and I'd be up for a goon one but way too lazy to organize

namad
Nov 7, 2013
This has probably already been done. If so please just point me in the right direction to find what I'm looking for.

So, my 1 copy of the netrunner core set, 1 copy of creation and control expansion and 1 copy of order and chaos expansion came today. Cost about 80$ including tax and shipping.

So where can I find training/teaching decks using just the core set that are better than the fantasy flight games recommendation in my instruction manual? Then the more difficult question, what about making up balanced decks for teaching this game to my gaming group that uses core set+creation control+order chaos?

My main goal wouldn't be competitiveness here so much as making sure the runner and corp have an equal chance to win. I've read a lot about netrunner while waiting for this stuff in the mail, but most of what I've read has been.... like "meta" stuff using recent data packs and with a focus on competitiveness. I'd love to have 7 decklists so my friend who I plan to teach the game to can choose his favorite factions. (The decklists can reuse cards, I wouldn't mind having to swap, for teaching purposes I could just sleeve the cards that need to be swapped around in different color sleeves or something.)

I'm mostly asking here because I've heard a lot of comments on the internet saying that the default FFG suggested starter decks suck, aren't fun, aren't balanced, etc.

namad fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 8, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I don't know about training decks specifically, but if you go to netrunnerdb.com you can search for decklists and restrict the allowed datapacks.

When I did that lots of the decks seem to be based around a single Core only, but there might be something there that uses C&C and O&C too.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

namad posted:

This has probably already been done. If so please just point me in the right direction to find what I'm looking for.

So, my 1 copy of the netrunner core set, 1 copy of creation and control expansion and 1 copy of order and chaos expansion came today. Cost about 80$ including tax and shipping.

So where can I find training/teaching decks using just the core set that are better than the fantasy flight games recommendation in my instruction manual? Then the more difficult question, what about making up balanced decks for teaching this game to my gaming group that uses core set+creation control+order chaos?

My main goal wouldn't be competitiveness here so much as making sure the runner and corp have an equal chance to win. I've read a lot about netrunner while waiting for this stuff in the mail, but most of what I've read has been.... like "meta" stuff using recent data packs and with a focus on competitiveness. I'd love to have 7 decklists so my friend who I plan to teach the game to can choose his favorite factions. (The decklists can reuse cards, I wouldn't mind having to swap, for teaching purposes I could just sleeve the cards that need to be swapped around in different color sleeves or something.)

I'm mostly asking here because I've heard a lot of comments on the internet saying that the default FFG suggested starter decks suck, aren't fun, aren't balanced, etc.

The OP has good workable decks from the core set that trump the ones in the manual.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Looks like the kerfuffle in December had legs.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Hm. How up to speed is the South Korean meta, I wonder? I've heard places like the Philippines and Hong Kong are quite a long way behind on the release schedule.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Aww, Damon seemed so cool in the Run Last Click interview. I guess we've still got his cards for another year or so though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
On the plus side, Boggs seems to like Fun Netrunner: thousand cuts jinteki, hyper aggression criminal, project junebug, etc. And he straight-up admits that NBN and Anarch have too much power, and Weyland is struggling. The fact that he says that gives me hope, since Damon seemed so determined that no, Weyland is fine, it’s YOUR fault for not understanding it!!

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Maybe I misunderstood but I thought Damon was pissed that someone else somehow forced the release of various cards he didn't support, like Sifr. Did that not come up in this thread previously?

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Allegedly Sifr specifically was significantly weaker in playtesting and got buffed without Damon's approval. Who really knows, though.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
They should just make a Netrunner 2.0 at this point.

The cost of buy in is way too high for anyone new. The living card game format seems to only really since for the first two years or so.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I feel like FFG needs to design with a two-year rotation in mind from the start. I know they just recently started up an Arkham Horror LCG, anyone know if FFG have announced any plans for rotation or anything to keep the meta under wraps?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

They won't worry about rotation with non-competitive LCGs. See: Lord of the Rings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

jeeves posted:

They should just make a Netrunner 2.0 at this point.

The cost of buy in is way too high for anyone new. The living card game format seems to only really since for the first two years or so.

Maybe they should make strictly faction specific expansions. More of the Worlds style decks for sale, too, to fill in for the lack of a singles market.

• Locked thread