Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Evil Canadian posted:

Chinese warriors have the most representation in vidya games anyway, a whole dynasty of em.

It seems Valkyries have an execution where they just headbutt the other guy to death?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSU6BDKHWL4&t=71s

:swoon:

the animations in this game are so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Arthil posted:

Yeah this is an actual legit company purchased by Ubisoft whom has a pedigree in making Good PC Games. Not a random Korean start-up.

That's good to hear, I just assumed Ubisoft was reworking assassin's creed melee and decided to make a new game out of it.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Oh then I suppose dudes are legit then, should be all good for pc people then!

Now lets just hope Shugoki/Valkyrie/Lawbringer can make it into the open beta cause I am still dying to try all them out.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 6, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
plus a lot of us played the pc version of the game in the beta and I gotta say I experienced very few bugs. I did get caught on a ladder once and someone had to poke my butt to make me fall off but that's it

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
For me the game crashed a lot, but OTOH I only saw one bug which interfered with the actual gameplay which was getting stuck on a ladder, and the game ran very smoothly and the controls felt surprisingly intuitive for mouse and keyboard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
My beta on PC never crashed once, but I saw lots of other players dropping from matches regularly. And then even if I wasn't crashing, having them drop from game effected me too. And then like everybody was saying, there were tons and tons of network connection issues.

Game is pretty drat good looking, so may be people who are trying to push the limits of their machines who barely meet the min specs, or could be bugs. Course those bugs could also get ironed out by release; its really hard to say.

But yeah, this open beta should be a pretty good final judge of the state of the pc port at launch.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I didn't really experience any crashes during the CBT, though the network stuff was a pain in the rear end. Was pleased that I could max the game out and get a solid 60 FPS so performance-wise it's solid on my end.

Heard some people complaining about the controls and I gotta wonder if they're using KB+M maybe. The game seemed to scream the type to use a controller with for me.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I use KB+M and I had no issue with it

It's pretty straight forward to block stuff with your mouse imo

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yeah I was concerned with how KB+M would work but it does surprisingly well, you can adjust the sensitivity so that relatively small movements are all that are needed to change guard direction, and chain blocks easily. You can even bind the different block directions to keys if you want, which is less intuitive but with practice could work if you train yourself for it. Don't know why you'd want to do it, but it's an option, and options are always nice.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think between the two control options KB+M might end up being superior in the long run, at least in my experience.

I can look around easier and quicker than when I use a controller and that ease of situational awareness made a difference with my playstyle.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm definitely supportive of KB+M, it just feels very intuitive after years of computing. It doesn't offer as much freedom as a controller in terms of portability, but it is very comfortable for me. Both blocking and chaining attacks into the default combo system feel very smooth and comfortable.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Shugoki got some pretty deecent emotes and executions

*sits on opponent*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua6nDA8Svtw

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Indecisive posted:

Don't know why you'd want to do it, but it's an option, and options are always nice.

In mount and blade I did movement blocking. Like moving left blocked left. I thought it was faster and allowed me to swing right feint left block

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I played the beta on PC and didn't have any issues from a crash or performance perspective. It ran great. Still on the fence about getting this because I'm bad at this game which frustrates me to a really high degree but on the other hand it's such a good melee combat game.. :sigh:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Open beta preload is up at around 18gb. Not sure what the size is if you still have the closed installed.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Open beta preload is up at around 18gb. Not sure what the size is if you still have the closed installed.

I just activated it and it says 'pre-loaded' already, didn't download anything new.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Indecisive posted:

I just activated it and it says 'pre-loaded' already, didn't download anything new.

Hm, my friends are saying there's a 451mb patch to update from closed to open. Might take a bit for the servers to catch up.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

After not liking the game when I first started the closed beta, I really came around to love it after giving it a second chance. Realizing the counter to guard break spam was judicious use of light attacks and not trying to hit the narrow counter guard break window made it a lot more fun. I could finally crush those guys that just guard break, heavy attack or guard break, throw off ledge. The game really favors aggression and it really began to "click" for me when I started taking the lead and pushing the pace.

What classes are you guys going to main for the open beta? I played Warden in the closed beta and I'm tempted to just go back to it because landing a Crushing Counter feels so good and the double light attack to charge combo is one of the best in the game. I really want to get good with Berserker too. Not many people played it and i think they're sleeping on the class. The infinite combo is insane and they have great throwing ability.

I also want to try Lawbringer because Counter-strikers are really fun and he looks cool. Hopefully they allow us to use him this time.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Hm, my friends are saying there's a 451mb patch to update from closed to open. Might take a bit for the servers to catch up.

ah yea I restarted the client and it's downloading now

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I saw almost no berserkers in the beta compared to every other class

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Berserker just doesn't have much going on I feel, like all he has that isn't basic moves is the infinite chain (which is pretty much just basic attacks) and the charging overhead strike. If you open up the movelist it's like 3 things while other classes have like a page and a half of stuff.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've barely played any Berserker so far, so I'll definitely be giving him a whirl. He seems a tad one-note, but the ability to really mix it up letting the infinite combo go on for a variable amount of hits seems like it could be pretty fun. I also haven't played Orochi at all since the second alpha, so I guess I'll see how he plays now that he's not obnoxiously OP anymore.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Indecisive posted:

Berserker just doesn't have much going on I feel, like all he has that isn't basic moves is the infinite chain (which is pretty much just basic attacks) and the charging overhead strike. If you open up the movelist it's like 3 things while other classes have like a page and a half of stuff.

I can see that. They have a gnarly uncounterable mini-guardbreak on deflect and dodge cancels but lack the flashiness of the Peacekeeper's triple stab or whatever else.

I think Kensei is the worst class though. Slow as hell and his unblockable attacks are so slow that any decent player will easily parry them. It seems like you have to feint and parry a lot get to the same level the other heroes get without doing that. If you're playing the game for the first time during open beta, don't believe the little bio that says he's an "easy" character.

treu
Feb 18, 2011

by Smythe
In the tech test all I played was Warden/Lawbringer, this beta I exclusively played Berserker. He's extremely good although his moveset looks completely lackluster. I don't know if it was due to the increased experience but I was crushing people left and right with him - regularly the highest score in dominion poo poo mode.

The only characters that are annoying to him were Warlord and Conq, and that's only if they decide to be assholes and just infinite block + 1 light hit rinse repeat.

His chains can really mess with people because they don't expect the 3rd and 4th hits.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I pretty much only played beserker in beta. I enjoy swinging two axes to much to try any other class. I love the Dodge parry because it usually leads to big damage.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trillhouse posted:

I can see that. They have a gnarly uncounterable mini-guardbreak on deflect and dodge cancels but lack the flashiness of the Peacekeeper's triple stab or whatever else.

I think Kensei is the worst class though. Slow as hell and his unblockable attacks are so slow that any decent player will easily parry them. It seems like you have to feint and parry a lot get to the same level the other heroes get without doing that. If you're playing the game for the first time during open beta, don't believe the little bio that says he's an "easy" character.

The key to Kensei is that you can easily cancel the unblockable overhead into a side-heavy attack with armour, without needing any additional complex input. That offers him a fairly powerful yet also easy mixup. The counters to the overhead are either a parry, a dodge, or a fast counterattack (on certain characters), all of which will lead to getting hit if Kensei cancels into the sideways attack. Meanwhile if you try to block or parry a sideways attack, the overhead can go through easily. Basically the target will need to guess ahead of time what Kensei's gonna do (or react during a very short window) or they'll eat a heavy.

There is only one truly safe way out of it, double-dodge rolling backwards out of range the moment you see it winding up. But even that can be somewhat curtailed by forcing your opponent back against a wall or into a corner.

Also, the forwards dodge into a guardbreak is really useful, and is something I find myself sorely wishing I had on other characters. Much like with the overhead, you can keep your enemy guessing whether you'll follow up that forwards dodge with either the rather fast light attack, or the guardbreak, once again making for a decent mixup.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 6, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
What a good berserker fight ends up like (lots of feinting essentially)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS0EQC_Pkc0

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Gimbal lock posted:

What a good berserker fight ends up like (lots of feinting essentially)

video

Some good matches although I fail to see the point of constantly switching guard. Doesn't fool anybody and both of em get smacked more than a few times doing it as there is the slightest bit of recovery inbetween switches. I don't know who it's supposed to fool but only the red flash matters so I don't care where your current guard is standing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
mindgames, son

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Perestroika posted:

The key to Kensei...
Well great, now I'm going to add Kensei to the list of characters I have to check out. Great post.

Warden, Berserker, Warlord, Kensei. Maybe conquerer too. And the new classes if we get a chance. Sheesh there's too much.

It's hard to beat loving up a Peacekeeper that keeps using the Overhead dash attack with Warden's Crushing Counter. So many people played PK that I got pretty good at sussing out their tricks.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Trillhouse posted:

Well great, now I'm going to add Kensei to the list of characters I have to check out. Great post.

Warden, Berserker, Warlord, Kensei. Maybe conquerer too. And the new classes if we get a chance. Sheesh there's too much.

It's hard to beat loving up a Peacekeeper that keeps using the Overhead dash attack with Warden's Crushing Counter. So many people played PK that I got pretty good at sussing out their tricks.

Here's a neat Kensei showcase
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jjS46lKTWg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPn6dkpeDT8

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 6, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

The key way to play Kensei is to pretend you are Mitsurugi.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What if I strictly play as a black female Kensei?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

What if I strictly play as a black female Kensei?
Hmm... maybe

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Actually now I think about it my biggest problem with the game is the announcer in duels.

Announcer will go ROUND 1, ROUND 2, etc, but I never hear "FIGHT!" after the round number. Its very stressful because I keep expecting to hear it :shobon:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Evil Canadian posted:

Actually now I think about it my biggest problem with the game is the announcer in duels.

Announcer will go ROUND 1, ROUND 2, etc, but I never hear "FIGHT!" after the round number. Its very stressful because I keep expecting to hear it :shobon:

He also vaguely sounds like Yoda..

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
How often does team composition come in to play?

Are there some heroes that counter other heroes?

Also do I need to own the game to participate in the open beta and if yes I bought this through a 3rd party site that hasn't sent me a key yet so does that matter?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hey welcome to the show! posted:

How often does team composition come in to play?

Are there some heroes that counter other heroes?

Also do I need to own the game to participate in the open beta and if yes I bought this through a 3rd party site that hasn't sent me a key yet so does that matter?

1) For scrubs rarely, for ballers frequently.

2) Kinda maybe.

3) Open beta is open. Purchasing or not makes no difference.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Open beta is open to all and you can pre-load on PC already right now without buying anything :) (dunno about console)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Dominion mode (the 4v4 mode) was kind of a shitshow in closed beta. A single good player will who knows how to use revenge mode well will tip the entire balance in his team's favor. It definitely had the least skilled players on average compared to 2v2 and duels. Expect a lot of people using the one combo they know is good for their class (see: Peacekeepers with the guard break into triple stab) or loitering near ledges to throw people off. Or running away unless they outnumber you. So until people get a lot more experience I doubt team comp will matter too much. Play whatever you think is fun.