Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Friday night, I'm on bant spirits and my opponent is on artifact restore balance.
How dare you crush an innocent person's dreams like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how you guys get bant spirits to work. I feel like it putters out so quickly if you have to deal with any amount of counter magic.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Hey guys guess what, on MTGO if you have a stack of tokens and your opponent has a Tamiyo, Field Researcher, you're hosed - there isn't a way to tell which token is effected by an ability. Have fun guessing!

if anyone knows a way around this, I'm all ears - I spent 8 minutes off my clock talking with the ORCs and hoping for the best.

e: this is the kind of frustrating bullshit that makes me hate MTGO - why the gently caress doesn't hovering over the ability in the game log not show which cards were targeted by the card and still under its effect?

e2: just so no one misses this:

https://twitter.com/Bigward28/status/828297068443746306

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 6, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DangerDongs posted:

I don't know how you guys get bant spirits to work. I feel like it putters out so quickly if you have to deal with any amount of counter magic.

The deck runs 8 creatures that are counterspells?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I feel like Turbo Fog is going to be a hilariously effective budget deck this Standard.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mossyfisk posted:

I feel like Turbo Fog is going to be a hilariously effective budget deck this Standard.

What do the fog options look like

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Don't go too wide and fire off your CoCo all Willy-nilly. Get a rattlechains out, you can play almost your whole deck on your opponents' turn. Get a cavern out, they also can't counter your ghosts. Don't coco until it's your opponents' turn, and they've cast something.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Commencement of Festivities (1G, prevent combat damage to players), Encircling Fissure (2W, prevent combat damage by opponent's creatures), Repel the Abominable (1W, prevent combat damage by non-humans). Engulf the Shore I guess is also a fog, but has pretty big deckbuilding constraints.

Not a fantastic selection, especially since the only real "turbo" is Fevered Visions which puts you in four colours. I guess Tamiyo's Journal also counts if you squint enough?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I don't want 2 or 3 mana fogs when the deck attacking for 3 on t2 and 6-7 on t3 also gets to play mana leak tbh

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 6, 2017

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

DangerDongs posted:

This is a really good idea.

Edit: I would appreciate some advice on Abzan Chord. Are builds with voice superior, and how good is the Saffi / renegade rallier combo.

I've only played the deck a couple times and with Saffi/Rallier once.

Voice is a really good card that makes your opponent main phase everything until they use a removal spell on it.

Saffi and Rallier did some work for me this past weeeknd. There were turns where I'd crack a fetch, play rallier, put the land back in play, and crack the fetch again. The combination was really good for being able to cut to anywhere in my deck to find exactly what I needed. Saffi also works as a pseudo protection spell for the combo and Rallier can bring back pieces that got removed already. I'll probably keep these two in the deck for a while.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

its amazing just how many tribal decks coco enables provided that they can run green

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How does Winding Constrictor interact with Awaken? The land gets counters and becomes a creature as part of the same passage, but it says counters first. Does Constrictor see that as putting counters on a creature and grant the extra one?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

How does Winding Constrictor interact with Awaken? The land gets counters and becomes a creature as part of the same passage, but it says counters first. Does Constrictor see that as putting counters on a creature and grant the extra one?

awakening says put counters on. snake says anytime a permanent would get counters add one. thus it gets extra.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

AkumaHokoru posted:

awakening says put counters on. snake says anytime a permanent would get counters add one. thus it gets extra.

It's "creature or artifact", the land is not a creature until after the counters are placed, it doesn't get extra

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It's "creature or artifact", the land is not a creature until after the counters are placed, it doesn't get extra

it'd be real amazing with planeswalkers if it was any permanent tho :v:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mossyfisk posted:

I play this deck at FNM and it's hilarious and beats pretty much everything except RW Humans (which hardly anyone even plays)

You basically can win with Fevered Visions, Dynavolt Tower or Fateful Showdown.

You can side in things like Thing in the Ice, Thermo-Alchemists and the like once they SB out all their creature removal when they see you have no creatures in G1

Edit:

My list kind of looks something like this:

Spells (24)

1 Wildest Dreams
4 Commencement of Festivities
4 Repel the Abominable
4 Encircling Fissure
3 Fateful Showdown
4 Glimmer of Genius
2 Fumigate
3 (Depending on the local meta I usually put removal in here, counters, or more filtering poo poo like Anticipate)

Artifacts (8)

3 Prophetic Prism
4 Dynavolt Tower

Enchantments (4)

4 Fevered Visions

Lands (24)
4 Aether Hub
1 Botanical Sanctum
2 Canopy Vista
1 Cinder Glade
4 Evolving Wilds
1 Forest
1 Inspiring Vantage
2 Island
2 Lumbering Falls
2 Mountain
1 Needle Spires
1 Plains
2 Wandering Fumarole

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 6, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Clicking on MaRo's article's read more on the homepage of DailyMTG takes me to the August 28th 2014 update notice for MTGO.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think Scrapheap Scrounger is close to banworthy but they can't ban it. heh

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Cross quoting from the eternal thread because some of these decklists are way too awesome!

uninverted posted:

Regionals decklists are up. Lots of spice in there, including storm, living end, landfall aggro with renegade rallier, and BUG delver.

R/B PACKRAT

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
New MTGO bug. If someone concedes in a multiplayer game before mulligans resolve, it bypasses the step and no one can mulligan.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mezzanon posted:

Cross quoting from the eternal thread because some of these decklists are way too awesome!

R/B PACKRAT

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=111508

The cheater made second? Nice! Also this new goyo's decklist is hot fire.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I mean, they banned reflector mage

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=111508

The cheater made second? Nice! Also this new goyo's decklist is hot fire.

Collective brutality in the Goryo's Deck seems really good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mezzanon posted:

R/B PACKRAT

loving hell, that deck rules.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Some Numbers posted:

loving hell, that deck rules.

You fuckers talking about a deck and not evening linking it.

Rabblemaster is one of my favorite cards ever.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=111521

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Oh look no "Chicago" deck lists. Nerd Rage is awful at getting them out yet again.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

mcmagic posted:

They would ban Heart or Kiran first. All scrappy ever does is drive, it's not like he gets played other than to enable vehicles. This standard is a mess though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Marketing New Brain posted:

They would ban Heart or Kiran first. All scrappy ever does is drive, it's not like he gets played other than to enable vehicles. This standard is a mess though.

BR Zombies :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

What is it making it such a mess?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
God I can't wait for Gideon to rotate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Heart is a fine card without Scrapheap coming back every turn.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Attorney at Funk posted:

God I can't wait for Gideon to rotate.

8 more months? Seems like a long time to wait.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
The Pro Tour is also not representative of Standard. The boogeyman going in was the Saheeli Cat combo, and it turns out vehicles is a fantastic deck choice to beat that if you're expecting to run into it a lot. A lot of teams came to that same conclusion, and having such a huge number of people play different variants of it skews the numbers.

It's also funny how no one's calling for the cat to be beheaded anymore, either, but that deck is only held in check if vehicles is there to fight it. Maybe give it a couple weeks and try to find ways to fight the deck instead of just always calling for whatever's on top this week to eat a ban.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The Pro Tour is also not representative of Standard. The boogeyman going in was the Saheeli Cat combo, and it turns out vehicles is a fantastic deck choice to beat that if you're expecting to run into it a lot. A lot of teams came to that same conclusion, and having such a huge number of people play different variants of it skews the numbers.

It's also funny how no one's calling for the cat to be beheaded anymore, either, but that deck is only held in check if vehicles is there to fight it. Maybe give it a couple weeks and try to find ways to fight the deck instead of just always calling for whatever's on top this week to eat a ban.

It could still be banned on the principle of format warping

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Kaladesh standard feels kinda poopy no matter what's on top, in my humble not particularly considered opinion.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Rinkles posted:

Kaladesh standard feels kinda poopy no matter what's on top, in my humble not particularly considered opinion.

That's fair. I don't think it's great by any means, but it's a lot better than the last couple years (that isn't saying much).

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

No you idiot this isn't how Magic works. Ban the thing that's on top then ban the thing I don't like that had terrible results.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I like how the thread has suddenly become very ban happy about any deck that might be good in standard.

You guys are weird.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

I like how the thread has suddenly become very ban happy about any deck that might be good in standard.

You guys are weird.

Scrounger is way too pushed for a colorless card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Scrounger is way too pushed for a colorless card.

I think you're being a bit disingenuous, the card is unplayable without being able to produce black mana

• Locked thread