Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Thanks Ants posted:

Left my laptop in the office over the weekend rather than carrying it home and back, of course some dick broke in and stole it. It's a work laptop so it's not my problem but it's still loving annoying.

Time to see what options I get with an Azure AD bound machine running Bitlocker.

Mine is locked to my desk with one of those cable locks whenever it's not at home or in a meeting room with me. My boss likes to do random checks when people aren't at their desks - first time you get warned and reminded of the policy and after that he takes the drat thing away if you haven't locked it.

Of course none of this matters if the person that nicked it broke into the office with a pair of bolt cutters, but that's not a solid argument, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Fil5000 posted:

Mine is locked to my desk with one of those cable locks whenever it's not at home or in a meeting room with me. My boss likes to do random checks when people aren't at their desks - first time you get warned and reminded of the policy and after that he takes the drat thing away if you haven't locked it.

Of course none of this matters if the person that nicked it broke into the office with a pair of bolt cutters, but that's not a solid argument, apparently.

Mine stores all my files on Onedrive, is encrypted with 2FA and I have an It Dept that can get me a replacement within 48hrs.

It's amazing how nice it is to work with some competency.

All that smugness is somewhat undone due to it being stuck with Windows 8.0

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

At Wal-mart (shut up) if you scan a card after hitting Pay Now, it will skip the "How do you want to pay?" screen and just loving charge your card. I've never seen any other self-check that did that, and I wish they would get on board with it. If I scan a card, I'm trying to pay with a card, don't ask me if I really meant cash.

Yeah, the ones here (Sainsburys) will recognise that you've put a card in, but say 'please press card' and return to the payment selection screen. If you just put cash in when the selection screen comes up it works straight away though. It's annoying that it recognises you're using a card but still makes you select it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spog posted:

Mine stores all my files on Onedrive, is encrypted with 2FA and I have an It Dept that can get me a replacement within 48hrs.

It's amazing how nice it is to work with some competency.

All that smugness is somewhat undone due to it being stuck with Windows 8.0

Yeah I'm not worried about the data since that's secure, but it's going to be a pain getting a replacement in a timely fashion. Currently seeing what Dell have in stock, don't want to take a downgrade from my previous machine.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

What's the most annoying piece of poo poo to be bundled with a computer? My vote is HP protect tools.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

bitterandtwisted posted:

What's the most annoying piece of poo poo to be bundled with a computer? My vote is HP protect tools.

Trial anti-virus and web safety software that slows down performance and is often a pain the arse to uninstall.

At least all the usual manufacturer crapware (such as Sony) can usually be uninstalled from the control panel without a reboot.

If I need to download a special tool from your website to uninstall your unwanted software, I hope you fall into a sewage farm.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you don't flatten and reinstall a retail computer the first thing you do I don't know what to tell you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

If you don't flatten and reinstall a retail computer the first thing you do I don't know what to tell you.

Are Sony still pulling that poo poo where some of their device drivers are only available as part of a restore image, which includes their crapware?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What about surface pro's and such?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Maw posted:

Yeah, the ones here (Sainsburys) will recognise that you've put a card in, but say 'please press card' and return to the payment selection screen. If you just put cash in when the selection screen comes up it works straight away though. It's annoying that it recognises you're using a card but still makes you select it.

Tesco, by contrast, does what you'd expect — put a card in (or tap contactless), and it Just Works™ as you'd expect. None of this "you didn't tell me you wanted to use a card!" poo poo.

Then again, Sainsburys has only just started experimenting with contactless. The people involved are finally dragging themselves into this century. loving cavemen, where do they think they are, America? :v:

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

DigitalRaven posted:

Tesco, by contrast, does what you'd expect — put a card in (or tap contactless), and it Just Works™ as you'd expect. None of this "you didn't tell me you wanted to use a card!" poo poo.

Then again, Sainsburys has only just started experimenting with contactless. The people involved are finally dragging themselves into this century. loving cavemen, where do they think they are, America? :v:

None of the Sainsburys near me have contactless yet :( Several times I've forgotten my wallet when I head there on my lunch break, and had to turn round rather that just pay with apple pay like I could in basically any other shop now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spog posted:

Are Sony still pulling that poo poo where some of their device drivers are only available as part of a restore image, which includes their crapware?

Windows 10 has the drivers for those these days, though if you have to use an older version of Windows that obviously won't help you any.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's up with engrish automated emails

"server have a message for you"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bob Morales posted:

What's up with engrish automated emails

"server have a message for you"

Coded by the lowest bidder!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Coded by the my nephew who "knows computers", and his English teacher just doesn't understand him!

FTFY.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bitterandtwisted posted:

We use HP Protect Tools/HP Client Security at work for the disk encryption. It sucks.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
poo poo pissing me off: Everything my company tries to do from IT home office blows up in everyone's face. This month they've done two things that have especially contributed to my sudden uptick in alcohol consumption.

First, they tried to clean up all the abandoned requests sitting out in the void. Not a terrible plan. The problem: they didn't tell anybody before they started cancelling tickets. Worse, some tickets they resent out the request for approval emails! Last week I was flooded with complaints and tickets about issues created by managers approving two year old phantom requests! Two users got their accounts disabled and flagged as "terminated" both caused by zombie requests to extend their contract expire date out to what is now the past. Issue 1a: managers never read poo poo they are approving but also the sun shines and grass is green so what can you do?

Second, they've finally decided to revoke 2FA tokens being generated by the workstations (see past rant for details). Turns out when they invalidated the tokens it broke the accounts those tokens were registered to! I've been putting out fires nonstop since they pulled the trigger on this. Not only do I have to help almost every one of our remote users set up 2FA on their mobile phones but also explain, at their angry demand, why they have to go wait on hold for over an hour to talk to T1 who, in my company's ultimate wisdom, are the only ones with access to manage 2FA accounts.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spog posted:

Driver Magician Lite

Get it. Love it.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Coded by the lowest bidder!
Speaking of, we have one Dell printer among our sea of Xeroxes and Toshibas. I had to tweak its scan destination over the weekend. When I changed the setting and saved, I was greeted with this gem.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Someone waltzed into our office during lunch about a year ago and nicked my personal laptop and some unopened iphones. Annoying, but at least my home insurance paid out the full value and I was overdue for an upgrade anyway. According to Find My Mac it hasn't been online since so it was probably pawned off to a chop shop.

Guy I work with (at a major bank's office) would wonder around the cubicles and steal stuff. One day he found a bag of women's gym clothes. He was holding up the sports bra to his chest while joking around, and I guess one of the client's staff saw him and complained. He was offboarded and fired with in a week. The bank had him on camera too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aunt Beth posted:

Speaking of, we have one Dell printer among our sea of Xeroxes and Toshibas. I had to tweak its scan destination over the weekend. When I changed the setting and saved, I was greeted with this gem.

I think the Dell printers are rebadged Xerox models but holy gently caress I guess whatever deal they have going on doesn't include the software part in any way. They are cheap for a reason.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Aunt Beth posted:

Dell make great server hardware that I use and love, but gently caress me if they can't write software to save their lives.

Every time I have to fire up OpenManage Essentials, I die a little inside. Spend some less time on visual effects (that require loving Silverlight :barf:) and a little more on getting the functionality working 100% of the time or, perhaps, making a decent interface?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just received a strange request. We have a huge AWS infrastructure, several hundred servers, load balancers, autoscaling groups, etc. My manager asked me to figure out how in aws CLI to list all the different types of resources. Not a count (but that would be a bonus) but something I can run that outputs a list, like this:

# aws list network-elements

...listing network elements...
you have the following elements in your AWS environment:
AWS::EC2::CustomerGateway
AWS::EC2::EIP
AWS::EC2::Host
AWS::EC2::Instance
AWS::EC2::InternetGateway
AWS::EC2::NetworkAcl
AWS::EC2::NetworkInterface
AWS::EC2::RouteTable
AWS::EC2::SecurityGroup
AWS::EC2::Subnet
AWS::CloudTrail::Trail
AWS::EC2::Volume
AWS::EC2::VPC
AWS::EC2::VPNConnection
AWS::EC2::VPNGateway

The only think I can find is this page:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/cli/latest/reference/configservice/list-discovered-resources.html

But I don't think I have access to the aws-config portal with my account. It's really :psyduck:. He was pretty clear he didn't want me to just go to the EC2 page and look at it and type them all down. It needs to be an automated command. I guess it can be a bash script, but it's just a noodle scratcher.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Does this help?
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/Using_Filtering.html#Filtering_Resources_CLI

There are API and CLI stuff at the bottom, including a massive list of Powershell commands

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ConfusedUs posted:

Does this help?
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/Using_Filtering.html#Filtering_Resources_CLI

There are API and CLI stuff at the bottom, including a massive list of Powershell commands

with that, the best I can do is each individually. I'll see what I can do, for now I'm making a notepad doc of each resource type and how to query it. Once I figure out each one I'll script it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

with that, the best I can do is each individually. I'll see what I can do, for now I'm making a notepad doc of each resource type and how to query it. Once I figure out each one I'll script it.

Seems odd that you can't put in a loop or something to do the queries?

I haven't tried but with as extensive API as it's offering there, seems crazy that you can't list all resources?

Edit: like maybe you have to call multiple commands, but that should be easily scriptable?

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 6, 2017

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ConfusedUs posted:

Seems odd that you can't put in a loop or something to do the queries?

I haven't tried but with as extensive API as it's offering there, seems crazy that you can't list all resources?

I can for sure write a loop that checks everything, but it's just a strange subset of the data, and some of them have multiple resources under them for example:

aws ec2 help |grep describe

outputs

o describe-account-attributes
o describe-addresses
o describe-availability-zones
o describe-bundle-tasks
o describe-conversion-tasks
o describe-customer-gateways
o describe-dhcp-options
o describe-export-tasks
o describe-image-attribute
o describe-images
o describe-instance-attribute
o describe-instance-status
o describe-instances
o describe-internet-gateways
o describe-key-pairs
o describe-network-acls
o describe-network-interface-attribute
o describe-network-interfaces
o describe-placement-groups
o describe-regions
o describe-reserved-instances
o describe-reserved-instances-listings
o describe-reserved-instances-modifications
o describe-reserved-instances-offerings
o describe-route-tables
o describe-security-groups
o describe-snapshot-attribute
o describe-snapshots
o describe-spot-datafeed-subscription
o describe-spot-instance-requests
o describe-spot-price-history
o describe-subnets
o describe-tags
o describe-volume-attribute
o describe-volume-status
o describe-volumes
o describe-vpc-attribute
o describe-vpc-peering-connections
o describe-vpcs
o describe-vpn-connections

so I'd need to iterate all the ones that are actual elements and then instead of returning the elements, just report if we have them.

Here's a null set:

bash-3.2$ aws ec2 describe-bundle-tasks $REGION
{
"BundleTasks": []
}

I'd need to programatically do that for all of them, I'm not really sure how to handle that. I guess I can feed the json output into python? I'm not super good with python.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 6, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you really don't want to process with python, look into the jq command. It's a command line json parser/filter thingy and is really drat handy in shell scripts.

Though it would probably be less of a headache in the long run to do it in python, convert the json into python dictionary and pick and choose what you want out of it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

If you really don't want to process with python, look into the jq command. It's a command line json parser/filter thingy and is really drat handy in shell scripts.

Though it would probably be less of a headache in the long run to do it in python, convert the json into python dictionary and pick and choose what you want out of it.

I'm not adverse to python, but he gave it to me like a simple command "just find the one command that does this and give me the output" I want him to see it's more complex. He's reasonable, so I'll just show him.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh, yeah. That is a request that is not possible to fulfill. Unless you got someone at Amazon on speed dial who you can command to write such a feature for you.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo that doesn't piss me off: every stupid little thing my boss comes to me with. I can't wait to see her face when I put in notice Thursday, especially when I use this line to start the conversation: "Since you've told me that I'm replaceable to my face, I'm going to give you the opportunity to do that."

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Don't use that line.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, just because the bridge is already on fire doesn't mean you need to start pissing gasoline on it.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Yeah, wait until they tell you you can't leave, there's too much stuff you have to do!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Nuke the bridge

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jeoh posted:

Nuke the bridge

No, no, no, nuking the bridge requires a large meal, heavy laxitive, and overnight access to your boss' office in order to smear the words "I QUIT, SIGNED; [Name]" on the wall in your own poo poo.

Just setting fire to the bridge is really all you ever need.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Since we can't get WDS to work (again) we decided to blow money on a MS support case, I went through the motions to open it, after finally getting to the right page and loging into another account that isn't my personal one (Can't log out lololol) and entering credit card details the page breaks and tells me that they can't create a support ticket ATM. So literally Microsofts support page is broken as well.
I call a partner number we have on file (We don't even know if we qualify as partner, one of our biggest clients probably is partner and we manage their IT but no one has the details), now the super inteligible support monkey is opening the same ticket in the most convoluted way possible and with no details for me. No idea how billing is gonna work like this tho.

MS' support is even worse than their other products...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Yeah, wait until they tell you you can't leave, there's too much stuff you have to do!

This. When the arm flailing over the 2 weeks notice starts, THEN you can drop that little gem.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, no, no, nuking the bridge requires a large meal, heavy laxitive, and overnight access to your boss' office in order to smear the words "I QUIT, SIGNED; [Name]" on the wall in your own poo poo.

Just setting fire to the bridge is really all you ever need.

Don't forget the gasoline and a remote igniter to set the poo poo on fire when your former boss walks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am currently sitting around doing nothing because our accounts department cannot work out how to cope with a service that isn't a fixed price each month, and is instead billed on consumption. I have no idea how they have managed so far.