Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh god no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Re-watching this clip makes me realize how hard the makers of Predator 2 copied from Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiQD0Wk6Ekg

Though only a Predator could kill Gary Busey, a Xenomorph would shy away in terror from those teeth.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SimonCat posted:

Though only a Predator could kill Gary Busey, a Xenomorph would shy away in terror from those teeth.

Nah a Xenomorph would just think Busey was another Xenomorph

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Busey getting killed by the Prdator is probably the most unrealistic thing that happens in Predator 2. You'd think a Predator would know a real bro right away and would have invited him back to the ship for some drunken antics.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Now I'm just imagining if a facehugger was somehow able to get past those sheets of baleen that he calls teeth and create a buseymorph.

What the mouth on that thing would look like... :stonklol:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

Busey getting killed by the Prdator is probably the most unrealistic thing that happens in Predator 2. You'd think a Predator would know a real bro right away and would have invited him back to the ship for some drunken antics.

The Predator must have scene Busey's throwdown video ahead of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF63d5SubYU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only plot hole in Predator 2 is where did Busey's upper half go?

I'd like to imagine he's somewhere, waiting for the Predators to return. But this time he has robot legs.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

CelticPredator posted:

The only plot hole in Predator 2 is where did Busey's upper half go?

I'd like to imagine he's somewhere, waiting for the Predators to return. But this time he has robot legs.

Hey, if they can bring back Darth Maul in Star Wars, why not?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
His guys that stayed in the truck cleaned up the scene-they give Danny Glover the hairy eyeball at the very end of the movie, iirc

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Watched this for the first time in years last night. I love the first scene when you see the "jungle" and it pans up to show the city.

Edit: referring to predator 2

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Speaking of Predator 2, NECA just released their revamp of the City Hunter.

Made me rewatch the film. Owns a lot, but I never realized how comic booky it is. Very stylized.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Speaking of Predator 2, NECA just released their revamp of the City Hunter.

Made me rewatch the film. Owns a lot, but I never realized how comic booky it is. Very stylized.

The cuts of the city zooming into the drug lord having sex with the volleyball salesgirl are almost exactly the visual language of a comic book.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I must have missed the subplot with the volleyball salesgirl. Was that in the director's cut?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I must have missed the subplot with the volleyball salesgirl. Was that in the director's cut?

When discussing the visual language of comic books "smuggling volleyballs/volleyball salesgirl" is a descriptor for a character with massive tits. Predator 2 is truly stylized like a 90s comic book.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Ohhhh poo poo, gently caress me. Yep, nice tits. Carry on.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The cover for the upcoming Art of Alien Covenant book is out, and it's loving great:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I've probably spoiled a lot of Covenant for myself. At least in the sense that I've been exposed to the very broad synopsis of main plot points discussed earlier in this thread.

Obviously I can't judge the acting, script, or visuals of the film until I watch it, but I feel like what will really make or break the whole thing for me will be how cool the creature designs are. If whatever the backburster becomes is just some generic gremlin zombie thing in the vein of Theatrical Fiefield, and not something that looks like it materialized out of one of H.R. Giger's Necronomicon books, I'm going to be a little disappointed.

Based on the synopsis, I have zero hope or expectation that Covenant will pick up and develop the themes of Prometheus in a way that make much of an impact on the film overall. It will just be some flashbacks to tie up loose ends. Scott says he has at least one more film to make in this series, right? That would suggest that there's some kind of overarching master narrative, but my gut response is that it's mostly hype. Scott today probably has as much of an idea of where he wants to go with these as George Lucas did for the star wars prequels in the late 80's.

Covenant seems like it's more or less going to be a super-soft reboot (a better term escapes me, sorry) of Prometheus. The Engineer World plot is getting pasted over to the extent that it can be while still maintaining continuity with the end of the first movie.

I'm not complaining about that, though. I don't care how much Scott wants to change things up as long as it ends up being full of cool aliens, like I said. Even better if it's actually put together like a Good Ridley Scott Film.

I'm not all that impressed with what the leaked photos of David's spooky meat cave, though. The design there was so reminiscent of Resurrection, and why would anyone try to ape the look of that movie's alien/human experiments, when there are so many other cool and different ways to go. I mean, it could be really effective in the context of the film itself, but I'm really going to have to see more to judge. Right now I'm so sure though.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

When discussing the visual language of comic books "smuggling volleyballs/volleyball salesgirl" is a descriptor for a character with massive tits. Predator 2 is truly stylized like a 90s comic book.

That's something I noticed on a rewatch. Everything is so over the top, especially Danny Glover. He is the epitome of "cop-on-the-edge." He is constantly rushing and yelling and pushing people around while the Chief and Commissioner are breathing down his neck. So awesome.

Also, if you have the bluray, watch the feature called Hunter and Hunted. It's supposed to be a "making of" type deal be it quickly becomes the Gary Busey Word Salad Show.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gary Busey's madness on that video is legendary but people often overlook Danny Glover's low key but mega :wtf: :laffo: talk that opens up with "Predator 2...is really quite a cerebral film..."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

my favorite part is when the predator climbs up the eastern columbia building and absorbs a huge lightning strike like Raiden for some reason.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Art and Making of
A L I E N
Covenant

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

banned from Starbucks posted:

my favorite part is when the predator climbs up the eastern columbia building and absorbs a huge lightning strike like Raiden for some reason.

I thought he did that to recharge his equipment.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
In hindsight, I think I wrote it off subconsciously to one of his buddies being hidden away off-screen with a camera and it was him trying to strike a bad-rear end pose for the safari vacation photo album.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Slashrat posted:

In hindsight, I think I wrote it off subconsciously to one of his buddies being hidden away off-screen with a camera and it was him trying to strike a bad-rear end pose for the safari vacation photo album.

Nah, those spy drones that pop up in Predators are mostly for getting good photos to show others later.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I'm not all that impressed with what the leaked photos of David's spooky meat cave, though.

If there's one thing I want to see in a Prometheus sequel it's definitely an exploration of Michael Fassbender's spooky meat cave.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

cargohills posted:

If there's one thing I want to see in a Prometheus sequel it's definitely an exploration of Michael Fassbender's spooky meat cave.

I feel this could have been phrased better...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Gary Busey's madness on that video is legendary but people often overlook Danny Glover's low key but mega :wtf: :laffo: talk that opens up with "Predator 2...is really quite a cerebral film..."

my theory has always been that either Danny Glover's character had an alcoholism subplot that got cut, or Danny Glover was just drinking a LOT during the making of Predator 2.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

my theory has always been that either Danny Glover's character had an alcoholism subplot that got cut, or Danny Glover was just drinking a LOT during the making of Predator 2.

that whole movie is a crazy cocaine ride

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

HEY make sthense man!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
He's sweaty as gently caress in that movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They were mimicking it was hot like a jungle in the city, that's why there was a concrete jungle reference on the vhs tape holder. Just about every character is sweaty, look at the train scene.

Urban jungle they call it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 6, 2017

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Isn't it also a plot point that the Predator arrives for a hunt when the weather is especially hot and the LA in their 1997 in the film is gripped by a heatwave?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really hope they get the Predator right in Black's new film. Because dang, every Predator after Winston kinda stinks.

Look how real this guy looks.

And this guy

And then like, 14 years later we get this.

and this

and then this

and

Jeepers.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

And then like, 14 years later we get this.

Oof that one looks terrible

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I distinctly remember recoiling during that scene. The film was a dream come true for 13 year old CP, but that was just horrific.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dave Angel posted:

Isn't it also a plot point that the Predator arrives for a hunt when the weather is especially hot and the LA in their 1997 in the film is gripped by a heatwave?

Yeah, I distinctly remember this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just watched it the other day. That is very true.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Somebody mentioned cocaine in Predator 2. I think that would explain Danny Glover's characters insanity.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

UmOk posted:

Somebody mentioned cocaine in Predator 2. I think that would explain Danny Glover's characters insanity.

The predator killed his partner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

The predator killed his partner!

No way. He is acting like a complete lunatic in the very first scene. He doesn't calm the gently caress down until the very end after the ship takes off.