Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Rhyno posted:

It's been decades since then. Prior to SW wasn't he pretty much at peace with the Hulk?

A: It's been a decade.
B: He had literally acquired said peace at the start of Indestructible ("Hulk as a chronic disease") after failing the billionth time and resigned himself that there's no cure, like a cancer patient going into hospice.
C: At the end of that storyline, he turned into Maestro.

So I don't know if his "at peace" is the kind of "at peace" that would make him unlikely to tell Clint to put him down. Again, I'm on Unlimited time, but it looks like one of the few bright spots in CW2 that not only is Clint having trouble with having put an arrow through the eye of a good friend even if it was what he wanted but it's also becoming clear he was being at least somewhat duped as to the imminent danger of Bruce hulking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It just felt like another instance if Bendis breaking a toy someone else had spent a lot of time playing with. CW2 was pretty much Bendis ruining popular characters.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

(World's Finest #289)

:glomp:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
In Silver Surfer: Requiem, the Surfer is dying. The cosmic shell inseparably fused to his body is breaking down, and it's taking him with it. At the end of the four issue out of regular continuity miniseries, it happens. He dies. Spoiler alert. No resurrection. No last minute save. From the very beginning to the very end, Norrin Radd's days are numbered, and every single page belongs here.

:cry:

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 6, 2017

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I'm not crying, YOU'RE crying. Shut up!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

(World's Finest #289)

:glomp:

Oh man I love this comic so much. This is from the one where Batman is beating himself up over not being able to save a dude and Superman is all 'I can literally move mountains to save people here but I'll never actually feel like a part of this world and I can't bring mine back' and the whole first chunk of what should have been a generic team up comic is actually a really soft moment where Batman and Superman just kinda be vulnerable with each other.

The team up itself is also great because it actually plays off that and leads to a genuinely sweet ending. It was one of the first team up comics that was played straight I ever read and it stuck with me forever. It's really worth getting if you're into the whole batman/superman dynamic

If I have my timeline right this was the start of the whole 'Batman and Superman are two sides of the same coin' storytelling device being a major DC theme, too, but I may be wrong there.

I think it says a lot both in favor of this and about how poo poo BvS was when three panels from ages ago do what Snyder thought the whole Martha thing was doing so much better.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

WickedHate posted:

In Silver Surfer: Requiem, the Surfer is dying. The cosmic shell inseparably fused to his body is breaking down, and it's taking him with it. At the end of the four issue out of regular continuity miniseries, it happens. He dies. Spoiler alert. No resurrection. No last minute save. From the very beginning to the very end, Norrin Radd's days are numbered, and every single page belongs here.

:cry:

That's a real dick move unless Norrin Radd's going to shift into a subjective eternity so he can absorb the knowledge claimed to be there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That's a real dick move unless Norrin Radd's going to shift into a subjective eternity so he can absorb the knowledge claimed to be there.

I assume it just sort of slides into his brain naturally. There's another part where he shares the power cosmic with Mary Jane(Spider-Man asked, cuz it was her birthday) and then the entire world, and it's described as like, everyone being aware of everything on an inconceivably profound level, so there's a bit of minor omnipotence going on.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

"Here is the sum total of human knowledge. Please enjoy it for the 5min you have left"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Infinitum posted:

"Here is the sum total of human knowledge. Please enjoy it for the 5min you have left"

Well, if that's the problem, keep in mind we're talking about a magical artifact created by Dr. Strange that he says "will merge with you, will always be with you" so presumably it becomes a part of his very soul and will be with him him into the afterlife.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A number of those people have been to the afterlife, they assume he will have time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Requiem is really good. Best thing JMS ever did.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I re-read this every so often, I can never get through the last issue with a dry eye. It's just so beautiful.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 7, 2017

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm fairly sure that it was released to aid in promoting "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer", which is pretty amazing that this diamond came out of that pile of offal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LashLightning posted:

I'm fairly sure that it was released to aid in promoting "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer", which is pretty amazing that this diamond came out of that pile of offal.

no way is that true, is it? That's a great example of a side thing far outlasting the thing it's meant to support then

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not only is Requiem JMS' best work, it's also probably the best Silver Surfer story ever published, and I can say that while throwing no shade at Jim Starlin.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Post more Requiem

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Infinitum posted:

Post more Requiem

I wanted to, but it's like, every page, you seriously just gotta buy it and read it for yourself, it fuckin rules.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Not only is Requiem JMS' best work, it's also probably the best Silver Surfer story ever published, and I can say that while throwing no shade at Jim Starlin.

Better than the Stan Lee/ Jack Kirby stuff?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

Better than the Stan Lee/ Jack Kirby stuff?

Ok, maybe not better than THE ULTIMATE COSMIC EXPERIENCE, but that's some of Kirby's best art ever, and Stan Lee also at the top of his game. Requiem takes a respectable 2nd place behind that.

Infinitum posted:

Post more Requiem

Lurdiak posted:

Silver Surfer: Requiem is a 4-part Marvel Knights out-of-continuity mini-series by J. Michael Straczinsky and Esad Ribic. In this story, the Silver Surfer learns that he is dying, and the comic focuses on all the people he touched and the lives he saved, and gives a very hopeful, uplifting message for a story about death. It's also one of the comics I've read that captures the sensitive and compassionate quiet majesty of the character better than anything else. I could pretty much put the whole comic here, but instead I'll focus on a particular moment from issue 2.

In this scene, he tells Spider-man that he wishes he could help humanity on a grand scale before leaving, to help us see we can be so much better than what we're content to be, to show us we don't need to hate and murder and suffer as we do. But for all his power, he doesn't really see how he can do that. Spider-man runs through several scenarios where he applies his fantastic powers to effect massive change, but figures none of them would really work and would probably just make things worse, as real change can't be forced by an outsider and must come from within.

Surfer then offers to show Spider-man what it's like to travel the stars as a goodbye present, but Spider-man declines and brings Mary Jane over so she can experience it instead (it's her birthday). To allow her the ability to truly experience the trip and to protect her, Surfer temporarily imbues her with a portion of the Power Cosmic, complete with cosmic awareness, which allows her to "feel the heartbeat of the world" and know freedom on a spiritual and intellectual level that's nearly inconceivable. Upon seeing how profoundly affected she is by the experience, Peter finally knows what the Surfer can do to help us.

This entire comic is one of the most beautiful things I've read in my life and it brings a tear to my eye every single time.

E: Re-uploaded at a more legible size.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just checked Comixology and if you don't mind digital the you buy the digital graphic novel of all 4 issues for $6.99.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Nah, Best Silver Surfer is the Stan Lee/Moebius team up. Requiem is a close second.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Ok, maybe not better than THE ULTIMATE COSMIC EXPERIENCE, but that's some of Kirby's best art ever, and Stan Lee also at the top of his game. Requiem takes a respectable 2nd place behind that.
Thank you for walking this back just a hair.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Is Denzel Washington going to have to settle this argument now?

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Just read Requiem last night and holy cow, it was as good as y'all said. Thanks for the recommendation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
requiem is one of the few comics I've read that made me actually cry. Like not 'tear up' but I literally cried while reading it. I understand that's mostly because I'm a goddamn emotional wreck on a good day but still, not a lot of comic books do that to me. It's real loving good and I'm not even a huge Silver Surfer guy or anything.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

I don't mean to ruin the moment but what about people driving? Or pilots landing or taking off? Surgeons or firefighters or literally anyone on Earth without five minutes to sit quietly with blank looks of absolute horror on the faces?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Duke Igthorn posted:

I don't mean to ruin the moment but I'm about to anyway

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Obviously, their briefly omnipotent minds are able to subconsciously do whatever it was their doing as long as it wasn't an act of evil.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The power cosmic is a hell of a drug.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Duke Igthorn posted:

I don't mean to ruin the moment but what about people driving? Or pilots landing or taking off? Surgeons or firefighters or literally anyone on Earth without five minutes to sit quietly with blank looks of absolute horror on the faces?

You the kinda person what demands an explanation for Superman being able to fly, aint'cha.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If you haven't been reading Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, you really should be. Not only is it one of the funniest and intelligent comics out there, Squirrel Girl is such sunny and upbeat hero. She sees the good in everyone and prefers to talk out conflicts rather than resort to violence. She's become best buds with Galactus, reformed Kraven, and in the latest issue changes Rhino's life for the better. She's stopping him from robbing a store while testing out her new glider suit + jet pack (Flying Squirrel). He grabs her, and then he starts falling and this happens.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just love how Ryan North writes her so much.

MY DUDE.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Please don't do this in this thread again, thanks.I'll contribute something to counter that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

flosofl posted:

If you haven't been reading Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, you really should be. Not only is it one of the funniest and intelligent comics out there, Squirrel Girl is such sunny and upbeat hero. She sees the good in everyone and prefers to talk out conflicts rather than resort to violence. She's become best buds with Galactus, reformed Kraven, and in the latest issue changes Rhino's life for the better. She's stopping him from robbing a store while testing out her new glider suit + jet pack (Flying Squirrel). He grabs her, and then he starts falling and this happens.

I'm fine with the writing in her book(indeed Squirrel Girl is probably my favorite character in the current MU), but I really wish they'd get a better artist, Henderson is one of the worst artists at Marvel right now

Luckily she gets some good moments over in New Avengers and USAvengers as well

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I just love how Ryan North writes her so much.

MY DUDE.

I don't see you as a grumpy middle aged comic book shop employee. I see you as a Unycorn.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

flosofl posted:

"The Unicorn? That's a Russian guy who shoots laser beams out of his helmet!"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

I'm fine with the writing in her book(indeed Squirrel Girl is probably my favorite character in the current MU), but I really wish they'd get a better artist, Henderson is one of the worst artists at Marvel right now

Luckily she gets some good moments over in New Avengers and USAvengers as well

Disagree. She has a style and it's cartoony and blocky which is fine for the tone of the book. There's no lack of artistic skill there, just efficient decisions about how she wants to communicate the feel of the comic.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Android Blues posted:

Disagree. She has a style and it's cartoony and blocky which is fine for the tone of the book. There's no lack of artistic skill there, just efficient decisions about how she wants to communicate the feel of the comic.

It's mostly an issue of how doughy her faces are, if she could be more consistent with them I imagine less people would have issues with her art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I don't see you as a grumpy middle aged comic book shop employee. I see you as a Unycorn.

I'M NOT MIDDLE AGED YET