Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

happyhippy posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/elite-danger...uffer_pcgamerfb

So a movie company is throwing money at Braben, how come they are not throwing money at the visionary Chris Roberts?

I hope it's the wing commander license the cult would explode with impotent rage.

Realistically it's Jurassic park. Braben has gone about dinosaur big game hunting in the past, and they do theme park stuff very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

happyhippy posted:

So a movie company is throwing money at Braben, how come they are not throwing money at the visionary Chris Roberts?

Because he already has all the money. :colbert:

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 6, 2017

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys need to lay off the tournament thing because I don't know a single tech company that doesn't do something eerily similar. I mean just last month we had a ping pong tournament and late last year we did a smash bros/sf5 tournament buy-in for extra life. Out of the laundry list of things we can sit back and laugh at CIG, this isn't really one of them.

Though our Foosball table isn't a 2 grand one but it's lasted years so who knows.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
No, we really don't. If they were actually MAKING A GODDAMN GAME, then sure... but they aren't. It's a scam run by incompetents.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Asema posted:

You guys need to lay off the tournament thing because I don't know a single tech company that doesn't do something eerily similar. I mean just last month we had a ping pong tournament and late last year we did a smash bros/sf5 tournament buy-in for extra life. Out of the laundry list of things we can sit back and laugh at CIG, this isn't really one of them.

Though our Foosball table isn't a 2 grand one but it's lasted years so who knows.

Did you buy a foosball table without ever producing anything though?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

In the grim darkness of the future, writing is hard guys

This is the case where they should have copied from an actual sign and would be an example of a time where it is okay to do.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Malachite_Dragon posted:

No, we really don't. If they were actually MAKING A GODDAMN GAME, then sure... but they aren't. It's a scam run by incompetents.

Hey, some of them really believe they are making a goddamn game. Who are we to say their coconut computers will not bring in precious... joke,, tie in cargo... cargo cult is the joke

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

happyhippy posted:

Finally the Wing Commander Movie is getting a game release that does it proud

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Pirate of the Caribbean would be a good license for Frontier, maybe we could get a free roaming pirate game that isn't a janky mess from Akella.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Morningwoodpecker posted:

I hope it's the wing commander license the cult would explode with impotent rage.

Realistically it's Jurassic park. Braben has gone about dinosaur big game hunting in the past, and they do theme park stuff very well.

Probably true. I'd much prefer a decent Dune or Blade Runner game though (both of which have new films coming in 2018)

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When this all goes tits up, do you really think Chris and Sandi are going to want a cheap foosball table in their garage to go alongside the cutting edge motion capture rigs and office furniture made from bits of SR-71 Blackbirbs?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

chochmah posted:

Please let it be "The Expanse".

It's not.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Morningwoodpecker posted:

It's not.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

happyhippy posted:

They're not. They licensed the IP. Which means Frontier paid for it; not the other way around.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Is this where you pretend to know what it is but won't post it for "reasons"?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I just want it to be LEGO [whatever], so they haven't just stolen CRobber's thunder, but also his brother's. :D

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Whatever it is I hope he hires Gary Oldman to be involved somehow.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

happyhippy posted:

I find it pretty funny that Frontier will have brought out 3 full games before CIG can release Star Citizen or SQ42 :)

Clearly a bunch of incompetent amateurs!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Asema posted:

Did you release anything in the past four years?

Well then.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

D_Smart posted:

They're not. They licensed the IP. Which means Frontier paid for it; not the other way around.

Ah. My bad.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

D_Smart posted:

It's not.

I eagerly look forward to Derek claiming he knows what the IP is for weeks, and he'll tell us ....as soon as it clears legal.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Asema posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHjD_k4AqAn/

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Jurassic Park does come to mind, especially due to the rumors that existed about Frontier making a Zoo Tycoon type game.

A new Dune game (especially if it isn't a strategy game) would be a dream come true...I'm not really counting on it though.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 6, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dante80 posted:

Jurassic Park does come to mind, especially due to the rumors that existed about Frontier making a Zoo Tycoon type game.

A new Dune game (especially if it isn't a strategy game) would be a dream come true...I'm not really counting on it though.

New Dune film is in the offing, so perhaps?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Asema posted:

Nobody cares about the tournament idiot

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

It totally won't be, but my dream scenario is that it's a Firefly Space sim, so all the shitlords that bought into Star Citizen to live out their Malcolm Reynolds fantasies get all twisted up in their poor consumer decisions.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Xaerael posted:

It totally won't be, but my dream scenario is that it's a Firefly Space sim, so all the shitlords that bought into Star Citizen to live out their Malcolm Reynolds fantasies get all twisted up in their poor consumer decisions.

Well the announcement talked about an "enduring franchise of global renown." so I don't think that is it.

What about the Expanse though? (that would be awesome!)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

gently caress it. I am finally going to ask after all these years. What is WH40K about?

I think this about sums it up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeVxKZBOfM

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
A new Tie Fighter or X-Wing space sim would be hilarious, if only because it would further put pressure on Roberts and his non-progress.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tippis posted:

I just want it to be LEGO [whatever], so they haven't just stolen CRobber's thunder, but also his brother's. :D

TT, the guys that do the lego games, are still around and doing multiple lego games every year. It wasn't owned or run by Erin Roberts, he was just an upper level guy there.

Dante80 posted:

Oh man if we got some more of this but with dinosaurs?!

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Did you buy a foosball table without ever producing anything though?

Hav posted:

Did you release anything in the past four years?

Well then.

Yeah true, but I've had coworkers leave for startups that haven't released anything and still have a ping pong table

We play Project M with the ganondorf mod and it's much better than anything Smash U has to offer :smug:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That's just an indictment of startup culture though. The foosball table costs a shitload less than paying for the 20+ hours a week your employees are working for no pay. The dumb ones even go "look how good COMPANY treats us, they bought a foosball table!"

"I need you to come in on Sunday"

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Pirate of the Caribbean would be a good license for Frontier, maybe we could get a free roaming pirate game that isn't a janky mess from Akella.

So, Sea of Thieves?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Goobs posted:

So, Sea of Thieves?

Sea of thieves is all multiplayer though

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Bofast posted:

A new Tie Fighter or X-Wing space sim would be hilarious, if only because it would further put pressure on Roberts and his non-progress.

Dream on. Only EA, Msoft or Actibliz could maybe pay what The Mouse would ask for the license on that. Current Dysney seem to have a poor opinion on video game, probably because many online communities are a cesspool or racist, momfucking retards impossible to police.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Klyith posted:

TT, the guys that do the lego games, are still around and doing multiple lego games every year. It wasn't owned or run by Erin Roberts, he was just an upper level guy there.

Oh man if we got some more of this but with dinosaurs?!

Its this

http://playdosgamesonline.com/dinopark-tycoon.html

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

Dream on. Only EA, Msoft or Actibliz could maybe pay what The Mouse would ask for the license on that. Current Dysney seem to have a poor opinion on video game, probably because many online communities are a cesspool or racist, momfucking retards impossible to police.
there's a few star wars games coming along now, battlefront 2 should hit in september or october this year, a space sim/FPS (yes) and a 3rd person RPG are all in the works using the SW IP

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

What happened in the end with all that drama over the new Warhammer Fantasy stuff?

I remember reading Games Workshop did something really dumb over it but can't remember what.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It would be really really great if Frontier could put out an FPS and thereby dunk on CIG completely in every category. They won't, but I wish they would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

AP posted:

What happened in the end with all that drama over the new Warhammer Fantasy stuff?

I remember reading Games Workshop did something really dumb over it but can't remember what.

They canned the original Warhammer Fantasy, their longest running franchise, in favour of a simplified system that allowed them to include fantasy space marines (the best selling part of 40k) and to trademark classic fantasy races like Elves and Orks by renaming them Aelfs™ and Orruks™.