Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

shut up blegum posted:

I bought Steep a couple of days ago and that game is awesome. I don't get why it was received so badly. Blasting down a mountain with some relaxing music while the sun is going down is amazing.

It has very little content compared to other games in its genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of games like that, I finally got Trials of the Blood Dragon the other day. I guess I should have expected it but it is really wacko and really gimmicky and honestly made me go back to playing Fusion again.

I want another normal (whatever you call "normal") Blood Dragon game.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It has very little content compared to other games in its genre.

Really? That's not my first impression. There's also a free dlc coming out this week, which has an entire new area :shrug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alder posted:

One day I want to be able to share my screenshots from PS4 w/o linking my dead social media. Also I have a USB but it's not supported.

Sooo drop $10 on a pack of cheap USB sticks? :shrug:

It's a crap necessity, sure, but you don't need a fabulously expensive USB drive to do it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I respect that you did not claim the enemies in Uncharted are bullet sponges and instead accurately described the gameplay involved. The shooting in 4 is the best in the series if that is worth anything

I beat it last night finally. And yes, I don't think that they're bullet sponges because with decent aim they drop fast. The issue are the enemies with TWO helmets and the amount of shooting without proper shooting mechanics. Is funny that I kind of liked the last part of the game (Shambhala).

I beat all four Gears of War wich are the slowest cover shooters you can find and some enemies are huge bullet sponges but at least the shooting part is decent (not the whole walking every 5 minutes for a cutscene or dialogue).

revolther
May 27, 2008

Feenix posted:

As someone who isn't clinically insane, I do not understand why anyone gives THIS much of a gently caress about P.T.

It's cool to play once. Yes, it will never exist. No, it will never be worth ANYTHING to ANYONE as it is a digital good. And when you play it (IF You ever play it again) it will be just like it was the first time.

No offense, I just don't understand why people give any kind of poo poo about keeping it forever... at all.
Yeah but your post history proves you possess a lovely bland generalized taste while also fact dropping that really you're about as bland of a human being as possible.

PT is actually pretty amazing when you consider the fact of how long it took to be "solved", how few people still have achieved seeing even that ending, and the AMAZING job at executing for such a simple game teaser.
It rightfully earned an earmark in the tome of gaming history. It still sells the idea of a game 1000 x better than the trailer for Kojima's new title in development. Maybe you don't like horror, or maybe it just fits your whole deal as acting like a plain Lay's potato chip sort of human being.

You could plop any Horror film fan down with a copy of the PT demo, and they would get more satisfaction and time out of it than ANY horror movie made in the last decade.

Continue looking for couch co-op games to play with your 4 year old while being a taste maker and trend setter though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

shut up blegum posted:

I bought Steep a couple of days ago and that game is awesome. I don't get why it was received so badly. Blasting down a mountain with some relaxing music while the sun is going down is amazing.

i dont follow games press basically at all but i more or less hear about most games from twitter or whatever and other than a few posts in this thread i never heard anyone talking about this game. it had to be marketed really badly

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

revolther posted:

Yeah but your post history proves you possess a lovely bland generalized taste while also fact dropping that really you're about as bland of a human being as possible.

PT is actually pretty amazing when you consider the fact of how long it took to be "solved", how few people still have achieved seeing even that ending, and the AMAZING job at executing for such a simple game teaser.
It rightfully earned an earmark in the tome of gaming history. It still sells the idea of a game 1000 x better than the trailer for Kojima's new title in development. Maybe you don't like horror, or maybe it just fits your whole deal as acting like a plain Lay's potato chip sort of human being.

You could plop any Horror film fan down with a copy of the PT demo, and they would get more satisfaction and time out of it than ANY horror movie made in the last decade.

Continue looking for couch co-op games to play with your 4 year old while being a taste maker and trend setter though.

lmao

rabidsquid posted:

i dont follow games press basically at all but i more or less hear about most games from twitter or whatever and other than a few posts in this thread i never heard anyone talking about this game. it had to be marketed really badly

Yeah, I accidentally stumbled across it too. It's weird, there aren't that much snowboard games out there so you'd guess they'd make much publicity for it and sell a ton, but they didn't somehow?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

veni veni veni posted:

I picked up Volume and I gotta say the insanely loud music that kicks in when you get spotted might be one of the most annoying things I have ever experienced in a game.

Imagine how fun it is in VR with headphones on.

I got about 20 minutes in and had to quit because: REALLY loving LOUD!111!!!!!

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

revolther posted:

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, there's been some fantastic horror films in the last decade. PT was a great teaser but its dead and its fans need to move on.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sooo drop $10 on a pack of cheap USB sticks? :shrug:

It's a crap necessity, sure, but you don't need a fabulously expensive USB drive to do it.

It's also possible to reformat a USB stick to work properly with a PS4. Format it to...crap, I forget. But I googled it and found a solution in like a minute when I did it so it's out there.

effervescible fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 6, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FAT32 and exFAT both work on PS4.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

revolther posted:

This is how you tell on the internet that someone is sexually frustrated and hasn't been touched by a woman in years.

P.T. was a dumb concept that was so poorly conceived and executed that hardly anyone got through it. Even Konami thought it was an awful idea and canned it and then rightfully canned Kojima because he is an overhyped hacked that was never going to finish the game anyways.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

shut up blegum posted:

Really? That's not my first impression. There's also a free dlc coming out this week, which has an entire new area :shrug:

I played it for a few hours, and I'm enjoying it, though I kinda get the impression that there's no sort of actual character progression mechanic, just lots of cosmetic upgrades.

I like it, but it's kind of on my "games to chill out with" pile instead of my "gotta play".

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

exploded mummy posted:

I played it for a few hours, and I'm enjoying it, though I kinda get the impression that there's no sort of actual character progression mechanic, just lots of cosmetic upgrades.

I like it, but it's kind of on my "games to chill out with" pile instead of my "gotta play".
Yeah I know, that's what I actually like about it. Just fire it up after work and ride down a mountain and chill out.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

el oso posted:

Is it worth waiting to get a Pro for TLG, or is the performance fine already?

I played through it on the OG PS4 and it was just fine for me. I've also played through ICO and SotC so I may just be used to the jank.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It really is amazing to me how much less I like Miku Diva X than Future Tone or the F games. Besides all its new features being spectacularly in the way, I still just don't like more than two or three music tracks in it. I don't pay much attention to vocaloid music outside of these games, is it the case that the golden age of vocaloid music is just behind us?

edit: the previous games had that vocaloid room thing where you can plink them in the forehead and watch them reel back in pain, but it was out of the way. When I started just now Miku immediately begged for me to give her a musical instrument as a gift and looked at me with those doe eyes and I am like dude, you ARE a musical instrument, just shut up and let me play.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 6, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

el oso posted:

Is it worth waiting to get a Pro for TLG, or is the performance fine already?

I wouldn't buy anything for The Last Guardian in any case. It's... Not for everyone?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I said come in! posted:

This is how you tell on the internet that someone is sexually frustrated and hasn't been touched by a woman in years:

P.T. was a dumb concept that was so poorly conceived and executed that hardly anyone got through it. Even Konami thought it was an awful idea and canned it and then rightfully canned Kojima because he is an overhyped hacked that was never going to finish the game anyways.

Thanks for the preface, puts your comments about P.T. and Konami in perspective. You had one typo though, need a colon, not a period after the first sentence in your post. I fixed it for you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Obsurveyor posted:

Thanks for the preface, puts your comments about P.T. and Konami in perspective. You had one typo though, need a colon, not a period after the first sentence in your post. I fixed it for you.

OOH loving SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Samurai Sanders posted:

is it the case that the golden age of vocaloid music is just behind us?

This made me properly snort and laugh out loud, now I'm trying to explain your post to my co-workers and it's going badly.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

cubicle gangster posted:

This made me properly snort and laugh out loud, now I'm trying to explain your post to my co-workers and it's going badly.
Because I'm right, because I'm wrong, or because all vocaloid music has always been awful?

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Would you guys recommend Yakuza 0 to someone who's never played a Yakuza game in their life? I'm kinda hankering for a new game after finishing Tales of Berseria and it caught my eye on the PS Store. I checked out a few reviews and the biggest complaint seems to be about nebulous "tedious things". Nobody really goes into any detail about what's tedious or why it's tedious so I have no real idea, but since I've never played a Yakuza game before maybe I'm just missing some secret background knowledge.

Also in case this is important these days with Boost Mode (tm) and all that poo poo, I'm a poor pleb with a normal PS4.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

revolther posted:

Thanks for this.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
PT was very scary but it wasn't much of a game per se, it needed something slightly more TO it, but that was the point, to suggest at an idea, which they did, and I was happy with that idea, but that idea was ultimately cancelled for reasons we'll never know. That's all.

Resident Evil 7 is good, though, right? Speaking of first person horror.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I said come in! posted:

This is how you tell on the internet that someone is sexually frustrated and hasn't been touched by a woman in years.

is this a very dumb troll or do you believe this

abraxas posted:

Would you guys recommend Yakuza 0 to someone who's never played a Yakuza game in their life? I'm kinda hankering for a new game after finishing Tales of Berseria and it caught my eye on the PS Store. I checked out a few reviews and the biggest complaint seems to be about nebulous "tedious things". Nobody really goes into any detail about what's tedious or why it's tedious so I have no real idea, but since I've never played a Yakuza game before maybe I'm just missing some secret background knowledge.

Also in case this is important these days with Boost Mode (tm) and all that poo poo, I'm a poor pleb with a normal PS4.

i have a launch ps4 and had never played a yakuza game before and i am really enjoying it edit: maybe the tedious things are random encounters on the map with the big guy that robs you, or maybe they were trying to 100% the side quests and poo poo? i am not a completionist so i basically gently caress with stuff until it becomes boring to me, as far as just playing through the story goes i haven't run anything i've found tedious

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 6, 2017

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of games like that, I finally got Trials of the Blood Dragon the other day. I guess I should have expected it but it is really wacko and really gimmicky and honestly made me go back to playing Fusion again.

I want another normal (whatever you call "normal") Blood Dragon game.

Going by what I was hearing on the E3 Bombcast, the mechanics of Trials just really do not work well with the humor of Blood Dragon.

I dig the use of Far Cry as a platform for unique styles in spinoffs.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

abraxas posted:

Yakuza Games are tedious to 100%.Don't. There is some minigames that aren't for you. Don't force it. Just enjoy the ride

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i dont get trying to 100% games. like i personally will never enjoy it and that's fine, but it seems like the people i know who actually "like" to do it don't ever enjoy doing it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I'd definitely agree for Yakuza. The main story is extremely good but you can get overwhelmed if you keep doing side stories. I can only handle the game in small chunks. Like the side stories are hilarious but there's SO many.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I usually just play sidestories if I find them and limit them per chapter. I got like 50 hours in Zero with a 44% completion rate, and I was satisfied. It helps that Zeros Story is good and doesn't feature quadruple betrayals and rubber bullets and land deals to kill Orphans and Bullfights

Sadly, you don't get to punch bears or tigers in a golden castle, either.
9/10

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

shut up blegum posted:

Yeah I know, that's what I actually like about it. Just fire it up after work and ride down a mountain and chill out.

Yeah I kinda like that, though I wish they'd add some way to get better handling on the wingsuit or parachuting.

The snowboarding and skiing is good though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

abraxas posted:

The thing about the Yakuza games is that they typically have strong, involved main plotlines ensconced within a zillion goofy side missions scattered throughout a small but developed open-world hub. They're well-made, but if you want to go for all the side missions then you're going to spend a lot of time running errands in between gritty crime drama.

e: super beat

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
PT was good for what it was but you're kidding yourself if you think it would survive being stretched out to 8+ hours.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Going by what I was hearing on the E3 Bombcast, the mechanics of Trials just really do not work well with the humor of Blood Dragon.

I dig the use of Far Cry as a platform for unique styles in spinoffs.

The bike mechanics are fine, the problem is that a lot of the game departs from the bike mechanics. There are areas where they gently caress with gravity or remove it entirely and you have to use a jetpack. There are platforming segments where you run around on foot and all the guards have instakill lasers. There are segments where you're playing the minigames from the earlier titles like bomb delivery except now they're part of the campaign progression and you have to beat them to unlock stuff.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I usually just play sidestories if I find them and limit them per chapter. I got like 50 hours in Zero with a 44% completion rate, and I was satisfied. It helps that Zeros Story is good and doesn't feature quadruple betrayals and rubber bullets and land deals to kill Orphans and Bullfights

Sadly, you don't get to punch bears or tigers in a golden castle, either.
9/10

I appreciated that Komeki told Majima that it's be really stupid for someone to use the Tiger shot to fight a tiger during one of his training missions.

abraxas posted:

Yakuza 0 has a lot of call aheads to future games in the way of cameos, but it's not particularly overwhelming. (And they're almost all hidden in side stories)

The story is good and you can do a lot of stuff and just kind of chillout. You can go dancing, sing karaoke, watch softcore porn, bowl, fish, shoot billiards, gamble, play mahjong, give a child adult magazines and write into a radio show about it, shoot Michael Jackson music videos, watch bikini wrestling, pick up a phone in the most dramatic way possible, train a dominatrix, gently caress around with slot cars, play shogi, be Anthony Bourdain, invade a cult, learn that knives are loving awesome, and run a hostess club all while beating up people like you're Batman or Joker.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Metal Gear Rising is still the only fighter I've put serious time into learning properly, but damned if God of war isn't making an impression.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

haveblue posted:

PT was good for what it was but you're kidding yourself if you think it would survive being stretched out to 8+ hours.

They probably would've added a second hallway

I said come in! posted:

I said come in! posted:

I prefer anime over girls.

grrr!

Electromax fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 6, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Silent Hills probably wasn't going to be anything like PT since that was deliberately designed to be obtuse in the hope it would take people awhile to figure out what it really was. Of course the internet cracked it in like a couple of hours.
Guess we'll never know anyway.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Metal Gear Rising is still the only fighter I've put serious time into learning properly, but damned if God of war isn't making an impression.

:psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

rabidsquid posted:

i dont get trying to 100% games. like i personally will never enjoy it and that's fine, but it seems like the people i know who actually "like" to do it don't ever enjoy doing it.

I only do it on games that I really really like so it just happens through sheer playtime or games where it's fun to do or some of the trophies are for alternate play styles or whatever.

Or just to prove I'm really cool and bad rear end (Souls)