Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Your reward for getting 100% in Yakuza missions is the opportunity to be punched in the dick by Neo from the Matrix so I'm cool with giving it a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

Your reward for getting 100% in Yakuza missions is the opportunity to be punched in the dick by Neo from the Matrix so I'm cool with giving it a pass.

That's missions, not the 100% checklist though.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

PT was good for what it was but you're kidding yourself if you think it would survive being stretched out to 8+ hours.
I'll hazard the guess that they would've added more mechanics and areas for a longer game. PT stretched out to 8 hours might not have looked too dissimilar from RE7, at least in basic FPS mechanics. What blew me away with PT was the audio/visuals and controls working together to give a sense that you were occupying a human body rather than a bobbing camera on wheels -- something that RE7 clearly drew from. Also the horror was legitimately good and scary in a Silent Hill-ish way, relying more on a creeping sense of horror than jump scares and physical threats. I'm glad Resident Evil is back, but it leaves a Silent Hill-shaped hole in my heart. Silent Hills would've been fuckin great and I still hope Kojima makes a horror game at some point.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

acksplode posted:

What blew me away with PT was the audio/visuals and controls working together to give a sense that you were occupying a human body rather than a bobbing camera on wheels -- something that RE7 clearly drew from.

I didn't get that impression from RE7, but I was playing it in VR. From what I saw of the prerendered cinematics (where the VR backs out to cinema mode) there are a lot of effects that get silently disabled in the name of comfort.

Of course the visor itself more than makes up for the missing animations in terms of occupying space in the game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Alder posted:

One day I want to be able to share my screenshots from PS4 w/o linking my dead social media. Also I have a USB but it's not supported.

I just send them in a message and then open up the PSN message app from my phone and save them there, kinda clunky but definitely beats using a USB stick

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

Metal Gear Rising is still the only fighter I've put serious time into learning properly, but damned if God of war isn't making an impression.

Depending on which GoW you're referring too, the secret to mastery is parrying people (EXACTLY LIKE MGR:R!). As Kratos, your moves kinda push you around the screen alot, so if you aren't attack or dodge-rolling then your doing it wrong, walking is for chumps.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Re the Steep discussion from the previous page - my experience with all the alpha and beta trials was that while it's a fun game that is polished and well executed, it's easy to run out of things to do. After a couple of weekends I found myself unable to muster up the motivation to keep exploring and doing time trials/other events. Perhaps the full game has added more to do?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Montalvo posted:

Re the Steep discussion from the previous page - my experience with all the alpha and beta trials was that while it's a fun game that is polished and well executed, it's easy to run out of things to do. After a couple of weekends I found myself unable to muster up the motivation to keep exploring and doing time trials/other events. Perhaps the full game has added more to do?

Well, there are daily challenges and dev challenges. Those weren't available in the beta afaik. I guess those could keep you entertained for a while. But yeah, I can totally see yourself getting burned out once you've found every drop zone. But until then, I'm having tons of fun throwing myself of mountains!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah I mean there's definitely tons of appeal in the game and the polish is absolutely there. I'm not great when it comes to self-motivating in sandbox games so some of that is on me too.

That being said, having the ability to wear a rubber chicken that clucks as a hat is pretty fantastic.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

boz posted:

Isn't this the plot of Chappie

Noone saw Chappie.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

shut up blegum posted:

Well, there are daily challenges and dev challenges. Those weren't available in the beta afaik. I guess those could keep you entertained for a while. But yeah, I can totally see yourself getting burned out once you've found every drop zone. But until then, I'm having tons of fun throwing myself of mountains!

Like Dirt Rally, I think I'll pick up Steep just for when I want to gently caress around for a bit and don't want to play with friends. Not something I'll play for hours at a time, just something to jump into for a half hour before playing TF2 or whatever.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

I didn't get that impression from RE7, but I was playing it in VR. From what I saw of the prerendered cinematics (where the VR backs out to cinema mode) there are a lot of effects that get silently disabled in the name of comfort.

Yeah, I've been going back and forth and TV mode has a very different look and feel. It's in TV mode that the game echoes PT.

I'm not sure which mode I prefer. TV mode is more comfortable and looks better and has all sorts of nice effects that make it feel like you're playing interactive found footage, which slots in well with the game's analog media motif. But the sense of presence in VR is so loving good.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I saw Chappie. it was good

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Seriously though, PT was real good, The actual game probably would have been very different than it (the demo says as much) but for what it was it was a really unique and interesting piece of horror that did a ton of new things with a genre that honestly rarely movies forward all that much. Silent Hills may have ended up being poo poo but PT had me really interested in what they had in store and I still hope Death Stranding ends up being a blatant copy of what they were planning on doing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kojima said recently that it's not horror so wouldn't start expecting it to be SH with the numbers filed off.

It's gonna be MGS with the numbers filed off.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

Kojima said recently that it's not horror so wouldn't start expecting it to be SH with the numbers filed off.

If tactical skeleton squads and tanks crewed entirely by dead fish aren't "horror" he may not know what that word means.

Although if he's trying to throw shade at modern "horror" games for being just action games where the enemies look really gross, I could get behind that.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Kojima is itching to cross over into horror (see MGSV's missions 1 and 43), and Death Stranding has weird zombie soldiers and tentacle tanks, so who knows. He's said that he chose the military setting specifically because he wants it to do well in AAA market, and horror is generally niche, so I can see why he doesn't want to emphasize it.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

El Jebus posted:

Like Dirt Rally, I think I'll pick up Steep just for when I want to gently caress around for a bit and don't want to play with friends. Not something I'll play for hours at a time, just something to jump into for a half hour before playing TF2 or whatever.

Exactly. However Dirt Rally isn't exactly what I'd call a relaxing game :D

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

acksplode posted:

Kojima is itching to cross over into horror (see MGSV's missions 1 and 43), and Death Stranding has weird zombie soldiers and tentacle tanks, so who knows. He's said that he chose the military setting specifically because he wants it to do well in AAA market, and horror is generally niche, so I can see why he doesn't want to emphasize it.

For how great MGSV and Peace Walker are, I hope death stranding is MGS2/3 with horror elements. The structure of MGSV is really lovely for storytelling and I don't think I'll ever replay the game like I have 2/3/4 many times. I am actually thinking of booting up 2 again.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Just because something's horrific doesn't make it horror. See: Souls/Bloodborne.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Soul Glo posted:

Just because something's horrific doesn't make it horror. See: Souls/Bloodborne.

Yeeeeeeeeeah, I see what you're saying, but try to imagine Bloodborne or Dark Souls 1 through the eyes of someone unfamiliar with the genre or without internet forums... You're just a lonely confused dude in a very dark place/pit/swamp and there are monsters lurking, literally LURKING around every corner.

Just because we're Dark Souls players and we don't think this poo poo is scary anymore doesn't mean it isn't scary, or that it isn't clearly intended to put the player at unease.

Games like RE4, Doom, or The Suffering are clearly action games with scary characters, because the game goes so far out of its way to power you up with sweet guns and magic powers and tries to make you as scary as what you're attacking, but I'd argue that Dark Souls never tries to make you stronger than what you're dealing with (at least on a fresh New Game) and places like the Painted World or the Catacombs are definitely scary, to me, at least.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Bloodborne is 100% a horror game. Not because it is 'horrific' (I don't think it is), but because of its setting, monsters, story, etc. Many people consider it a ode to Lovecraft.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

This is all semantics but, to me, horror games are meant to scare the player and put them at a disadvantage. I can't really remember parts of the games I mentioned that set out to do that. Disturb, maybe. Souls/Bloodborne put the player on equal footing with the enemies.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Soul Glo posted:

This is all semantics but, to me, horror games are meant to scare the player and put them at a disadvantage. I can't really remember parts of the games I mentioned that set out to do that. Disturb, maybe. Souls/Bloodborne put the player on equal footing with the enemies.

I can certainly think of a few areas in Souls or Bloodborne which have a legitimately creepy atmosphere (the Tower of Latria in Demon's Souls is a great example of this), but yeah. Souls and Bloodborne are action games first and foremost.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Soul Glo posted:

Sure you aren't thinking of "survival horror" which is a distinct subset of horror?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Soul Glo posted:

I have never felt more sustained panic, fear, and feeling of weakness in a game than I did in the first area of Bloodborne, knowing that I could die at any time to any single enemy, culminating in me wildly flailing and attacking Eileen as soon as I saw her, turning her permanently hostile, because every single thing in the world before that had tried to kill me, that I couldn't conceive of a non-hostile entity existing in the game. Like I don't think jump scares are that great or that "horrific." Concentrated existential panic that lasts for minutes once you realize you've gotten further than you ever did before but one dog can tear your throat out and send you back to zero, however

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Sure you aren't thinking of "survival horror" which is a distinct subset of horror?

The very first survival horror game ends with you in possession of a flamethrower and grenade launcher, so that doesn't quite fit. IMO "survival horror" is an outdated marketing term useful in the 90's for describing how RE-style games were different from other games at the time, not a genre.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

If horror games are just "what scares you" then it's entirely subjective (which is also fine, I'm not trying to argue about it). In high school I had a friend who quit Halo at The Library because The Flood scared him so badly.

I still make fun of him to this day about it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

If horror games are just "what scares you" then it's entirely subjective (which is also fine, I'm not trying to argue about it). In high school I had a friend who quit Halo at The Library because The Flood scared him so badly.

I still make fun of him to this day about it.

The Flood are a fine example of body horror, and the Library is dark and confusing in order to emphasize that horror. Genre elements can be mixed into works that don't generally fit that genre. I wouldn't call Halo a horror game, but you could definitely point to the Library and the introduction of the Flood as examples of horror.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

acksplode posted:

The very first survival horror game ends with you in possession of a flamethrower and grenade launcher, so that doesn't quite fit. IMO "survival horror" is an outdated marketing term useful in the 90's for describing how RE-style games were different from other games at the time, not a genre.

Those would have been wildly anachronistic in the Derceto Mansion from Alone In the Dark.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

Those would have been wildly anachronistic in the Derceto Mansion from Alone In the Dark.

Isn't Resident Evil the game whose marketing coined the term? Of course RE has a lineage, but I thought that was the game that introduced the literal phrase "survival horror".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah. RE introduced Survival Horror. Regardless most horror games end up with a pretty heavy arsenal by the end. Horror doesn't mean being entirely defenseless and in some cases being armed can improve the horror as it becomes clear how futile your weapons are against the real threat. (i.e: any zombie film.)

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I want to buy a charging dock from Amazon for a few controllers. Does anyone have a preference, or is this one satisfactory (won't blow up my controllers).

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 6, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NNick posted:

Bloodborne is 100% a horror game. Not because it is 'horrific' (I don't think it is), but because of its setting, monsters, story, etc. Many people consider it a ode to Lovecraft.

It has the themes of the horror genre of novels. It does not however feature the gameplay of the horror genre of games.

A distinction has to be made, they're not the same thing.

Bombadilillo posted:

They're really synonymous in videogames. What else is there, Action Horror? Which would be what? Bloodborne and like... maybe Metro 2033? (Which is also borderline survival horror)

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah. RE introduced Survival Horror. Regardless most horror games end up with a pretty heavy arsenal by the end. Horror doesn't mean being entirely defenseless and in some cases being armed can improve the horror as it becomes clear how futile your weapons are against the real threat. (i.e: any zombie film.)

Yeah there's only a couple survival horror games where you're completely defenseless. Even in Silent Hill you can fight, its just not great. Amnesia is the only one I can really think of that doesn't.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Shadow225 posted:

I want to buy a charging dock from Amazon for a few controllers. Does anyone have a preference, or is this one satisfactory (won't blow up my controllers).

The one you linked appears to be an official Sony product.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Phantasmagoria is a horror game. It is also a point-and-click adventure game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Action horror is Resi 4-6, the Dead Space games, The Evil Within etc.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

The thing with games is that their genre is often defined by their mechanics and it's important to be clear about whether one is referring to the mechanical genre or the genre as defined by theme and tone if they share the same name as with horror. I would argue that bloodborne is clearly mostly an action game in its mechanics but thematically and tonally is a horror game, for example.

fake edit: what zaphod said

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Herbotron posted:

The thing with games is that their genre is often defined by their mechanics and it's important to be clear about whether one is referring to the mechanical genre or the genre as defined by theme and tone if they share the same name as with horror. I would argue that bloodborne is clearly mostly an action game in its mechanics but thematically and tonally is a horror game, for example.

fake edit: what zaphod said

This is basically what I meant when I said Souls/Bloodborne were horrific but not horror games.

Like there's some hosed up poo poo in them to be sure, but you are meant to get in the nightmare's face and kill it hard, not run from it screaming. Unless you're speedrunning it, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

It has the themes of the horror genre of novels. It does not however feature the gameplay of the horror genre of games.

A distinction has to be made, they're not the same thing.

They're really synonymous in videogames. What else is there, Action Horror? Which would be what? Bloodborne and like... maybe Metro 2033? (Which is also borderline survival horror)

I don't think games are reducible to only their gameplay. Horror, like fantasy, sci-fi, thriller or other genres encompass a lot more than gameplay. Resident evil 1, last of us, bloodborne, and resident evil 7 are all horror games but all have distinctly different gameplay.

Comparing RE1 versus MGS2 is a good example. Those two games share far more in common gameplay wise than RE1 and RE7. They are both action games, fixed camera, tank controls, etc. If we only defined games by their gameplay, then either MGS2 is horror or RE1 is tactical espionage. Clearly, that doesn't work.

tl;dr horror isn't a gameplay or mechanic genre