Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Also note that some jobs like intel will require shift work at times. Basically, instead of working 9 to 5, you might be working in a rotation (6 AM to 2 PM/2 PM to 10 PM/10 PM to 6 AM) or day-on day-off (working 6 AM to 6 PM for three days straight, then two/three days off, then back on 6 AM to 6 PM).

edit: Working evenings/nights or three days on/two or three days off schedule isn't that bad once you get used to it. The biggest issue is when the Army comes in and says "NO, YOU NEED TO SHOW UP BACK HERE AT 0900 SO THAT WE CAN GO THROUGH AN ENTIRE DAY OF MANDATORY TRAINING, NO WE'RE NOT OFFERING ADDITIONAL ITERATIONS EVEN THOUGH WE KNOW 2/3 OF THE ENLISTED IN THE G2 WORK ON SHIFTS", which was fairly often.

redneck nazgul fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Depending on who you ask, yeah, probably

edit: To be clear I'm not even joking. Most probably won't admit we lost though so

To add to this, remember Sixta from Generation Kill? Sixta's not the only grooming standard obsessed fuckwit who can't wrap his goddamn worthless child loving mind around why you don't leave your supplies unguarded. People like him are a disease that spreads in training commands and a "peacetime" mentality of "are these guys I'm not gonna gently caress pretty in uniform" instead of "can they do their drat job? Do they have the gear, training and experienced personel to do so?"

There's a phrase for this that gets thrown around if you read studies done on wartime ability, "risk averse cowardice". An aversion to taking necessary risk stemming, usually from incompetence but also toxic command climates that reward having nothing bad ever showing up on paperwork instead of fixing poo poo that's broken, that everyone knows is broken but goddamn if they're gonna fill out a FLIPL and solve the problem, that means a problem shows up on the report and can be a negative bullet on their promotion packet. So there's a fearful culture of deception in some units, which breeds people like that who cannot function when poo poo goes wrong. Kinda like how the titanic captain was worthless because he'd had such an "event" free career.

Which furthers a divide between leadership and troops who are sometimes then left to solve a problem, several paygrades above their own and if they can't they get NJP'd for it because no one told them they could refuse the NJP, demand a court martial and air the units laundry that way. But in a toxic unit the leadership doesn't want people to know that because it means they're going to get brought before the Colonel or higher about "why is all of your paperwork a lie?".

Does poo poo like Abu Ghraib make sense now? I hope you're not that cynical but does it make sense?

This is without getting into the five billion dollar mistake that is ACUPAT. Which can kinda work if you're in a scrub desert and have a darker top. Or in gravel pits.

Long wordy rant aside, poo poo like this is why we haven't won anything since WW2, maybe Grenada. I have a much longer wordier rant about everything that went wrong almost immediately after, and partly during the invasion... Not enough booze in the building to write it out right now.

Edit: PS. Don't enlist or commission right now, it's gonna get dumber than that. Mr. Mattis can only do so much before he burns out like Mr. Jones did.

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
Ft Leonard Wood is the only place I have had to pull a tick off of my balls. That about describes the time I have spent there.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Suicide Watch posted:

What do people in the military stateside do when they're not doing PT, field exercises, or cleaning? Like I know the military isn't a 9-5 job so they must be filling up their time with something?

hazing or being hazed mostly

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

hazing or being hazed mostly

yeah this, holy poo poo my first year was doing little man in the woods and other varieties of smokings just to amuse people senior to me, for the sin of being the FNG

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
look here boot, when i come into your room at 2 am drunk as gently caress and beat the poo poo out of you in the bathroom, it isnt hazing, its incentive training. tracking?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

look here boot, when i come into your room at 2 am drunk as gently caress and beat the poo poo out of you in the bathroom, it isnt hazing, its incentive training. tracking?

:catstare:

Now I understand your anger

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

It sounds like there are some parallels to a a typical large business, e.g., mandatory HR training or progressively smaller management divisions repackaging word from higher-up and adding more.

So, in a big corporation, anyone who is not an "individual contributor" is in a job that is broadly either a people leader (managers), a product leader (ops and marketing), or a technology leader (R&D), or maybe an S3 role like finance or HR. Do similar analogs exist in the military? Are there salesmen for … products?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Lake of Methane posted:

Are there salesmen for … products?

Recruiters

Like they unironically would show the Alec Baldwin Glenngarry Glenn Ross video as motivation because they were retarded and thought it was inspirational

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Lake of Methane posted:

It sounds like there are some parallels to a a typical large business, e.g., mandatory HR training or progressively smaller management divisions repackaging word from higher-up and adding more.

So, in a big corporation, anyone who is not an "individual contributor" is in a job that is broadly either a people leader (managers), a product leader (ops and marketing), or a technology leader (R&D), or maybe an S3 role like finance or HR. Do similar analogs exist in the military? Are there salesmen for … products?

we are ministers of death, praying for war! ooooragh

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

What's the average level of medical training that an average individual in a combat arms unit usually receives? Is it limited to "this is how you put on a CAT/pressure dressing, good luck" or is it more involved? What were you mandated to have in your IFAKs, and was there anything extra that you would put in yours?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

suboptimal posted:

What's the average level of medical training that an average individual in a combat arms unit usually receives? Is it limited to "this is how you put on a CAT/pressure dressing, good luck" or is it more involved? What were you mandated to have in your IFAKs, and was there anything extra that you would put in yours?

It varied I think a lot. The general class for that is CLS (Combat Life Saver) and the first time I took it it was probably irresponsible and teaching poo poo like tracheotomies and the thorax relief poo poo (the name escapes me, the collapsed lung thing where you jam a needle between ribs) Having students give each other IVs in class to learn was pretty bog standard.

I took it again like 10 years later it was 100% powerpoint slides and they handed around various bandages for us to look at.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kick-Puncher posted:

Ft Leonard Wood is the only place I have had to pull a tick off of my balls. That about describes the time I have spent there.

Fort Knox is the only place I have had to pull a tick off the tip of my dick.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

It varied I think a lot. The general class for that is CLS (Combat Life Saver) and the first time I took it it was probably irresponsible and teaching poo poo like tracheotomies and the thorax relief poo poo (the name escapes me, the collapsed lung thing where you jam a needle between ribs) Having students give each other IVs in class to learn was pretty bog standard.

Tension pneumothorax.

quote:

I took it again like 10 years later it was 100% powerpoint slides and they handed around various bandages for us to look at.

I think they trimmed a lot of the "You should probably be a medic to do this" style of first aid over the eight years I was in. It went from live IV sticking in basic to "Ehhh, just apply tourniquets, NO NOT ON HEAD WOUNDS YOU ANIMALS" towards 2012.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

suboptimal posted:

bootcamp they went through pressure dressings and some other poo poo. when we hit the fleet, the corpsmen were like you guys are too retarded for this. tourniquet everything and call for a corpsman

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

redneck nazgul posted:

I think they trimmed a lot of the "You should probably be a medic to do this" style of first aid over the eight years I was in. It went from live IV sticking in basic to "Ehhh, just apply tourniquets, NO NOT ON HEAD WOUNDS YOU ANIMALS" towards 2012.

Honestly its for the better because no week long course would ever give me the confidence to do a tracheotomy.

Tourniquets sure man that's easy enough

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My first responder class I took in high school was more involved & I'm told I'm lucky for getting a real bandage to practice with and not a sock

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Holy molly I'm glad i went coast guard

Jun 27, 2002

Carrion Fairy

redneck nazgul posted:

could this be because the more hands on stuff like IV training resulted in too many fuckups or am i overestimating the army's regard for life and limb here

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Sounds more like big army cutting costs.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

CMD598 posted:

Sounds more like big army cutting costs.

that or one time some guy sprayed arterial blood everywhere in a classroom environment taught by medics and the dude still died and the army just said gently caress it. I'm just imagining that but it sounds just as plausible as anything else.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
How much drinking and whoring goes in a Navy/Army/Marine/Air Force/Coast Guard unit, depending infantry non-infantry, overseas stateside? The context is that I read a lot of memoirs during the 50s-80s describing a lot of wild stuff from sneaking in booze in Brasso cans to drink during the day to the sheer amount of sex after coming back from a field exercise.

AmyL fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 6, 2017

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

AmyL posted:

How much drinking and whoring goes in a Navy/Army/Marine/Air Force/Coast Guard unit, depending infantry non-infantry, overseas stateside? The context is that I read a lot of memoirs during the 50s-80s describing a lot of wild stuff from sneaking in booze in Brasso cans to drink during the day to the sheer amount of sex after coming back from a field exercise.

No different than any environment where you have a bunch of young people away from home for the first time with easy access to alcohol. Just the gender ratios are different depending on your MOS.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
In a combat arms battalion you would likely have ~500 guys and maybe ~20 women, of which 2-3 were officers. Those roughly 17-18 women would have basically an unlimited supply of sex and alcohol if they wanted, which all but maybe 2 or 3 will. However, only loving morons would tap that. The Army is full of morons.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Vasudus posted:

In a combat arms battalion you would likely have ~500 guys and maybe ~20 women, of which 2-3 were officers. Those roughly 17-18 women would have basically an unlimited supply of sex and alcohol if they wanted, which all but maybe 2 or 3 will. However, only loving morons would tap that. The Army is full of morons.

How does the Army handle unplanned pregnancy for enlisted women? Desk duty?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Nystral posted:

if they're deployed they fly back asap

baby never signed up to be deployed

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Nystral posted:

What about for women officers? Do they get kicked out since they should know better not to have an unplanned pregnancy? Would they get court-martialed for adultery?

AmyL fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 6, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

if they're deployed they fly back asap

baby never signed up to be deployed

My unit kept them overseas until the three month mark. They got a desk job, and if they hadn't been on leave yet, UCMJ threats for getting knocked up in theater. They gave one woman an article 15 over it, she didn't argue, and she did her extra duty when she got back stateside a week or so after she turned up positive for baby.

This was in a support battalion so more like 25% women.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AmyL posted:

Almost every sailor sleeps with a hooker overseas at least once. They actually import hookers into ports where ships will be pulling in specifically to target US or Royal Navy sailors. I'm not really sure about other countries, but talking with canadians, brits, and aussie sailors the experience is pretty much universal. Underway if two people want to gently caress, they'll find a way to do it. I've been on all male ships and integrated ones, and the story is the same. In port, the couples will usually go off and gently caress. Everyone from the captain on down just about goes out and gets shithoused for the entire port call. They tell you not to, but the people that actually get the weird looks are the people that do not drink at all vs the people who have to be carried back to their hotel room.

All that matters is when the brow comes up, you're on board, at whatever sea and anchor/watch station you stand, and you're ready to work. Regs may have changed in the last 5-6 years, but last time I looked it up anyone with a BAC under .04 was still fit for duty and ready to work.

Now, some of these behaviors change a little depending on your homeport. Sailors in Japan have ridiculous liberty (any time off work) and alcohol rules because marines and sailors can't help themselves but get shithoused and rape some schoolgirl, knife a cabby, or just kill an old lady sweeping her stoop. Despite these extra rules, people still drink constantly and whore around still.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

My unit kept them overseas until the three month mark. They got a desk job, and if they hadn't been on leave yet, UCMJ threats for getting knocked up in theater. They gave one woman an article 15 over it, she didn't argue, and she did her extra duty when she got back stateside a week or so after she turned up positive for baby.

This was in a support battalion so more like 25% women.

we had em flying out within 24 hours. Get your poo poo from your trailer/tent when the unit finishes the deployment

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Pregnant women can stay onboard and work on a ship up to 20 weeks. After that they have to be transferred off. There are restrictions on deploying with a pregnant sailor, but say it's just one month out and back and she's only 2 weeks along, there is no harm no foul.

Here's the navy instruction if anyone is curious http://www.jag.navy.mil/distrib/instructions/OPNAV6000.1CPregnancyandParenthood.pdf

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

This might be a bad question but how much of the military's budget is wasted on bullshit it doesn't need?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

guns for tits posted:

This might be a bad question but how much of the military's budget is wasted on bullshit it doesn't need?

All of it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

guns for tits posted:

:laffo:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

guns for tits posted:

We have such sights to show you.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

guns for tits posted:

you cannot grasp such enormity with a civilian mind

it's worse than you'll ever believe

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

guns for tits posted:

Let me give you a personal example. I was running a night range for 50 Caliber machine guns. The last people who have to take the shooting test finish, it's 2 AM, and we have 10,000 rounds left. A normal group of people would turn in the ammunition for somebody else to use, right? Not us. Range guys deem it too much of a pain in the rear end to got through ammunition turn in procedure and decide to shoot it all into the darkness instead. Here's the cost to the taxpayer:

1. 10,000 x $3-6 per round of 50 caliber
2. Contractors getting overtime to sit in the tower and watch this ammo get wasted
3. Wear and tear on a bunch of $20,000 machine guns, reducing life expectancy

This is probably the cheapest waste of taxpayer money you'll see. Don't get me started on the waste I saw when I was operating on tanks.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Let me give you a personal example. I was running a night range for 50 Caliber machine guns. The last people who have to take the shooting test finish, it's 2 AM, and we have 10,000 rounds left. A normal group of people would turn in the ammunition for somebody else to use, right? Not us. Range guys deem it too much of a pain in the rear end to got through ammunition turn in procedure and decide to shoot it all into the darkness instead. Here's the cost to the taxpayer:

1. 10,000 x $3-6 per round of 50 caliber
2. Contractors getting overtime to sit in the tower and watch this ammo get wasted
3. Wear and tear on a bunch of $20,000 machine guns, reducing life expectancy

This is probably the cheapest waste of taxpayer money you'll see. Don't get me started on the waste I saw when I was operating on tanks.

Don't forget the ranges at the end of the fiscal year where you just go to shoot poo poo so your allocations don't drop the next year so that you can not use it all the next year either until the last minute.

multiply that by every unit in the army, every year

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

guns for tits posted:

At least 100%.

• Locked thread