Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

FeralWraith posted:

Also, random dumb thought: an Ultimate-level boss battle against that spoony bard, Edward. Dumb, yes, but I think DeNA could make that poo poo interesting.

Only if there is a CM to solo the fight with Tellah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zurai posted:

Protect and Shell actually do have a visual tell. One of them makes a character affected by it pulse green, the other makes them pulse yellow. I forget which is which but it's pretty obvious when you know what to look for.

Traditionally, Protect is yellow and Shell is green. Haste is Red/Orange.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Ugh it's so tempting to take another shot at this IV banner, especially since I literally only have 1 5* weapon from IV somehow, but I should probably be saving for the anniversary stuff.

Also the more I look at the more I think the banner is actually kinda bad. Golbez is cool and part of me wants to chase his relics, and the OSB would be nice, but everything else is kinda meh or an outright dud.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ugh it's so tempting to take another shot at this IV banner, especially since I literally only have 1 5* weapon from IV somehow, but I should probably be saving for the anniversary stuff.

Also the more I look at the more I think the banner is actually kinda bad. Golbez is cool and part of me wants to chase his relics, and the OSB would be nice, but everything else is kinda meh or an outright dud.

Kinda where I'm at. Think the good stuff is basically guaranteed to return before long, just gonna save.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

way to go steve posted:

Kinda where I'm at. Think the good stuff is basically guaranteed to return before long, just gonna save.

I'd say that given 2nd Anniversary being two months out, some of the good items will show up on those banners. Golbez BSB and Edge's spectacular SSB are probably shoe-ins (they were on Japan's banners), but I kind of hope Rydia's OSB makes an appearance, too. It's too friggin' cute! These banners, though, just aren't that hot.

Late edit: looks like the Torment Dungeon for VII is opening up on the 7th (Tuesday), so probably expect the FFVII Lucky Draw Banner to show up then.

FeralWraith fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 6, 2017

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Didn't get the screen cap, but 4/11 on the second banner. Didn't get Rydia's OSB, got a second white dress and hell claws, and two Red Jackets. Not too bad, but still wanting a really good nuke weapon for IV.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Thank god Rubicante doesn't have stacking imperil.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

This Rubicante fight sucks rear end. Why does he keep showing up, his gimmick is insanely unfun.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mustadio + Faris meant Rubicante was basically tickling the party the entire fight.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
And if you or someone in your group has Deployment Tactics, it is immensely satisfying to watch Rubicante play on the wrong side of "Stop hitting yourself!"

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Why, hello there!

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Varance posted:

Why, hello there!

drat, every good thing on the banner, nice.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Varance posted:

Why, hello there!

I am so drat jealous right now. Awesome pull!

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
That's awesome, congrats. I kind of want Rydia's rod and Kain's spear, but I already have more FF4 Mage poo poo than I probably should, and I can probably just wait for the next FF4 event that has Kain's BSB and an OSB.

I'm thinking of saving up and trying to focus on every other event until the anniversary- maybe 1 pull on VIII and one on VII, and ignore everything else. These + battles are making it abundantly clear I need good sources of non-elemental damage. It does look like theres a VII lucky draw soon, but I didn't see any list of items on that spreadsheet for it. Is that something worth grabbing or are lucky draws mostly random grab bags of Unique SB or otherwise low power stuff?

Also thanks for the OK RW assist, I finally managed to take down that Dragon on the Moon with Golbez and Palom blasting away at it. My big problem was endurance so I crafted/honed Biora and Ruinga (which I needed anyway) to get some additional NE damage to take me over the last few percentage points. Any other good RW or strategies for taking down Ogopogo? I'm worried because all my FF4 synergy stuff is Magic based and I've not really got anything good for Physical which seems to be the best way to handle that fight, and my two main FF4 physical dudes (Pecil and Kain) can't equip retaliate.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Lucky draws are usually half price and every relic for those realms is in the pool. For someone starting out like you are, they're can't miss basically.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'm thinking of saving up and trying to focus on every other event until the anniversary- maybe 1 pull on VIII and one on VII, and ignore everything else. These + battles are making it abundantly clear I need good sources of non-elemental damage. It does look like theres a VII lucky draw soon, but I didn't see any list of items on that spreadsheet for it. Is that something worth grabbing or are lucky draws mostly random grab bags of Unique SB or otherwise low power stuff?

Also thanks for the OK RW assist, I finally managed to take down that Dragon on the Moon with Golbez and Palom blasting away at it. My big problem was endurance so I crafted/honed Biora and Ruinga (which I needed anyway) to get some additional NE damage to take me over the last few percentage points. Any other good RW or strategies for taking down Ogopogo? I'm worried because all my FF4 synergy stuff is Magic based and I've not really got anything good for Physical which seems to be the best way to handle that fight, and my two main FF4 physical dudes (Pecil and Kain) can't equip retaliate.

Lucky Draws are very good these days, because they've changed to contain only SSB or higher items. Very rarely we get so called curated lucky draws, which might contain some good older unique soul breaks that are still valuable. Regardless, they're always worth it when you're new, just because to get items with synergy.

Ogopogo probably doesn't have any cheesy strat, since it really does want you to do it with physical stuff. It might be worth it to try something like OK BSB again, only now using the physical attack command. If you have even one synergy weapon, this might be enough DPS if that character uses it. This is also one of those annoying fights where you need to protect against both physical and magical offense, so you want both Breaks + Shellga + Protecta, if you can. Otherwise I can't think of anything super handy for this fight. FF4 has quite a few of these terrible "Resist everything except poison" bosses, and poison is a super rare element.

Meanwhile in Ultimate ++, who said Greg OSB is bad! (Stacked Full Break, Armor Break, Mug Bloodlust, OK -Def/Res, Vaan BSB, so five separate armor breaks at once)

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The fact that you have to stack all those debuffs and it STILL doesn't cap is pretty lol

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The boss also had maybe 5% health left.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Watching TG Cid do 10x9999 with his BSB was very satisfying against Dark Knight Cecil.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

The gacha hates me this year so far :smith:

Trash from both the Cid banners (Raines and TGod), none of the hotness from XIV, and then to rub it in I just went White Dress/11 on Golbez. Time to save for anniversary and hope it's kind to me!

Glad I'm mostly geared enough to lift the good stuff from events, because nothing good seems to be forthcoming for me!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Dollar pulled edges jacket. Hadn't been on my radar for some reason, but seems real good. Instant haste, phys blink, and last stand, on a character that can fairly rapidly fill meter through fastcast + weakness on a lot of fights.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I've had pretty good luck with pubbies so far. Both Rubicante levels downed last night. Only one failed run (only one healer that time). As long as you can get up stone skin and a couple of breaks on him before he starts viciously countering everything you should be fine. Plus I brought Alphinaud for Deployment tactics which really does him in, though it does slow down the fight considerably due to how often the damage gets reflected.

I'm fighting every urge to pull on IV at this point. I think I'll do one for VIII since Fujin seems really good and then save everything else for anniversary or lucky draws. I'm up to 285ish mythril now.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Made an 11 pull on the second FFIV banner because I'm sorely lacking in synergy and what's that? Four rainbow orbs! 2x Rosa's dresses, 1 jacket for edge and Yang's Faerie Claws. :confuoot:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Is there ever a point where they stop putting unique sb's in banners? I really don't want to pull on the ffiv banners as the weak items are really lovely.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Crazy Larry posted:

Made an 11 pull on the second FFIV banner because I'm sorely lacking in synergy and what's that? Four rainbow orbs! 2x Rosa's dresses, 1 jacket for edge and Yang's Faerie Claws. :confuoot:

The jacket is good.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

went to unlock White 4 on Quistis and realized I had nearly 1,000 3* motes of every type because I never use them lol whoops

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

went to unlock White 4 on Quistis and realized I had nearly 1,000 3* motes of every type because I never use them lol whoops

using 3* motes is easy, just get everything for all characters you have an even remotely passable SB for

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Prav posted:

using 3* motes is easy, just get everything for all characters you have an even remotely passable SB for

Also get krile's bard record dive finished. It uses 3* motes instead of 4* for some reason.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Don't let the U++ description scare you. I beat it with a physical team. Stack enough breakdowns on it and keep up wall+shell and you should be ok.

I got hit with Ultimate Megaflare twice and it did like 1400 per character. Easily healed.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
They didn't seem like particularly hard ultimates this time, the dark knight was especially weak. He's slow, you can slow him even further, and he's holy weak. At first I thought maybe it was like FF4 and I was supposed to just stand there and not attack him, but I guess he just sucks.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

For endgame players- how many of the 1* to 3* abilities are you still keeping? I'm looking through the list I have and I can't picture myself using pretty much any of them. Thinking about shattering them all and putting the orbs towards hones for the 4* and up stuff.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

IllegallySober posted:

For endgame players- how many of the 1* to 3* abilities are you still keeping? I'm looking through the list I have and I can't picture myself using pretty much any of them. Thinking about shattering them all and putting the orbs towards hones for the 4* and up stuff.

You'll want to keep a couple very specific ones for boss mastery conditions. For example I keep a rank 1 Jump around just for whenever Barbariccia comes around and they make you use that specific ability to break her tornado form for mastery.

There are a couple others that I'm sure others can speak to but for the most part I try to stick to 4*+ abilities.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
There are a few good ones. Any utility that isn't easily replaceable by 4-5* skill you don't want to shatter. Stuff like tempo-flurry, retaliate, draw fire and intimidate you should probably hold onto.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

IllegallySober posted:

Use these a lot
-3* ninja magic
-Tempo Flurry is a great keep.
-Esuna
-Drain strike.
-Draw Fire
-All 3* elemental summons.
-3* elemental jumps

Use these rarely, but enough to definitely justify keeping em around
-Retaliate used to be my go-to jam, but it's not aged well since Shout came around and blew up ret-meta.
-All of the 3* buster combat abilties (dark, sleep, confuse, etc). They're not as good as the machinist shell abilities, but more characters can use them and they still do some damage while helping to meet conditions.
-Haste
-Dispel
-Wind Slash does good, ranged damage vs wind-vuln bosses that non-spellblade users can use. The ranged part also helps with a few bosses.
-Stop. Very situational, but good in those situations.
-Blindga, Silencega.
-Kick (has a few really useful applications, like the solo Jecht mission)
-All 3* combat breaks for non-support folks sometimes.

I have em, but probably could shatter them and just remake if I really need them again.
-Reflect and Berserk I have but don't remember ever using.
-Kirin (rarely use, heavy regenga is so easy to get nowadays)
-A couple double cuts in case we run into a 100% ret meta boss. Haven't used in forever though, probably just gonna shatter.
-Other elemental 3* spellblade abilities (used them more maybe 6 months ago, a lot less now).
-Chakra
-Curaga rarely sees use since I have so many curajas, but at some point a 3* white user back-up healing might be useful again.
-Dagger toss helps for melee guys to hit enemies at range, but the damage is crappy enough to justify scrapping and just making a better ranged party.
-Revive (I never use this).

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Just make and break the 3* abilities when you need/dont need them. 3* orbs shouldn't be a resource to worry about.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Cool, thanks for the input, everyone. I may keep a few but I think I'm going to shatter the majority just for simplicity's sake. :)

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

IllegallySober posted:

Cool, thanks for the input, everyone. I may keep a few but I think I'm going to shatter the majority just for simplicity's sake. :)

Simplicity or not, the ninja skills, summons, tempo flurry and dragoon jumps are something you shouldn't shatter. Same goes with magic that isn't replaced by a 4* skill, like stop, esuna, ect.

If it's something for a medal like sleep buster, feel free to make it on the spot. But the 3* dragoon jumps are the same damage as the 4* spellblades, tempo flurry is must have, the ninja magic pierces resistance and stuff like stop isn't something you can easily apply elsewhere. You're gonna want more than r2 of those, and you might as well hold onto them.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Sprite141 posted:

Simplicity or not, the ninja skills, summons, tempo flurry and dragoon jumps are something you shouldn't shatter. Same goes with magic that isn't replaced by a 4* skill, like stop, esuna, ect.

If it's something for a medal like sleep buster, feel free to make it on the spot. But the 3* dragoon jumps are the same damage as the 4* spellblades, tempo flurry is must have, the ninja magic pierces resistance and stuff like stop isn't something you can easily apply elsewhere. You're gonna want more than r2 of those, and you might as well hold onto them.

Yeah, as I look at this again, I'm only keeping the following 1* and 2* abilities:

Sleep
Retaliate
Lullaby (for AoE Sleep)

The 3* stuff is trickier. I'm looking at keeping:

Stop
Blindga
Silencega
Esuna
Dispel
Berserk
Ifrit/Shiva/Ramuh
Drain Strike
Aerora Strike (since there's no 4* Wind Spellblade)
Intimidate?
Dark Buster
Venom Buster
1x Tempo Flurry
Draw Fire
Swift Bolt/Water Veil/Fire Veil

I think that covers it, right? I don't have any 3* dragoon jumps right now- are they worth making?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'd argue that it's absolutely worth keeping the 3* spellblades around, they're far cheaper to hone than the 4* ones for very similar power, and some characters (Tidus!) get exclusively 3* spellblade for their elemental access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'd argue that it's absolutely worth keeping the 3* spellblades around, they're far cheaper to hone than the 4* ones for very similar power, and some characters (Tidus!) get exclusively 3* spellblade for their elemental access.

That might be true except I shattered those months ago (except Drain Strike/Aerora Strike) when I foolishly dumped lots of orbs into the 4* versions. :(

I'll make them again if I ever need them, I guess?

• Locked thread