Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

iospace posted:

Sports Broadcasting Thread: International House of Hot Takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
the international house of hot takes may have an even greater proportion of old men than the international house of pancakes

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Plus they have a natural rapport that every dumb debate show doesn't see and doesn't try. They just see two guys yelling at each other = ratings and go from there.

It gets really painful and annoying to hear them try to talk politics.

It's not that I don't think politics and sports shouldn't be mixed. (by their very nature they're intertwined in some ways), it's just I kinda question the sort of idiots that are screaming "KOBE IS BETTER THAN LEBRON" moving onto discuss...I don't know...Tim Tebow's stance on abortion.

Like "Outside the Lines" is able to do this perfectly because they bring on people who study this sort of stuff for a living, write books on it, etc. They also do some investigative work to back up their claims and are in general a good show.

Very much agreed in regards to Wilbon, Kornheiser. They do have the chemistry, and at times HAD interesting conversations which we never really saw in years previous. It's something I truly haven't seen replicated in that regard.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

iospace posted:

Didn't someone here said someone noticed their arguments in the WaPo break room, decided to put them in front of a camera, and told them to cut the swearing?

Basically, yeah, it's outlined over a few pages in Those Guys Have All The Fun. Kornheiser jokes that if the show had been on HBO no one in the Washington Post would have even noticed they were gone cause they'd be cursing, and as it was some people didn't realize they were on TV at first anyway.

But as mentioned, a big difference is those guys had offices next to each other for twenty years before PTI started, so they had a rapport that a lot of other shoes just substitute with louder yelling and hotter/dumber takes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fartknocker posted:

Basically, yeah, it's outlined over a few pages in Those Guys Have All The Fun. Kornheiser jokes that if the show had been on HBO no one in the Washington Post would have even noticed they were gone cause they'd be cursing, and as it was some people didn't realize they were on TV at first anyway.

But as mentioned, a big difference is those guys had offices next to each other for twenty years before PTI started, so they had a rapport that a lot of other shoes just substitute with louder yelling and hotter/dumber takes.

And at least with ATH if someone gives a dumb take they get muted for it. Then you have Fox deciding "OH, LET'S TAKE SKIP AND SHANNON AND HAVE THEM YELL AT EACH OTHER :downs:," despite the fact that First Take is at least beating them (and I'll take ESPN over FOX any day).

Also ESPN has Highly Questionable, which always has some interesting stuff on it.

Also Dan Le Betard and Bomani Jones facepalming at Le Batard's dad.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
The problem with PTI today is Michael Wilbon started believing his own poo poo. Then he turned into a pearl clutching old fogey, which is really bizarre and sad to see sometimes.

Around the Horn is still watchable, but it 100% depends on the guests. Woody Paige, Frank Isola, and Bill Plaschke are horrid hot take machines, but even they can be saved by Pable Torre, Israel Guitierrez, Sarah Spain, Bomani Jones, and Michael Smith. I think Kevin Blackistone has become the worst panelist on the show though. Dude is slowly morphing into Bob Costas with a fraction of the journalistic ability.

And HQ is loving great.

edit: Woody Paige is so terrible he ran Snoop Dogg off of ATH once (although it seems pretty staged): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHSPc-PbBuA

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Frank Isola is basically every stereotype of a smarmy New York sportswriter you can think of

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Benne posted:

Frank Isola is basically every stereotype of a smarmy New York sportswriter you can think of

I call him "Plaschke East".

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The funny thing about PTI is that when it started Kornheiser was the curmudgeon and Wilbon was the more contemporary voice. But over time they have slowly switched roles where now Wilbon is the geezer with backwards views and Kornheiser is much more receptive to new ways of thinking.
There should be a name for this type of switch amongst longterm teams. Also happens in the X-Files.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

BWV posted:

There should be a name for this type of switch amongst longterm teams. Also happens in the X-Files.

I believe it's called a "Freaky Friday"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I love Kornheiser's radio show podcast but won't even watch PTI anymore because of Wilbon.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/SportsFunhouse/status/828356204640555010

Never change Mike :allears:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Who is going to be the most insufferable tomorrow?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/j...dium=socialflow

Harlan of course oozes excellence, but who's the BBC radio guy?

Something bizarrely awesome about having a Brit call American Football. Reminds me of opting for hearing Leigh Diffey (an aussie) call the last NASCAR race of the season over the :911: guys.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Who is going to be the most insufferable tomorrow?

https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/828404378990022656

I donno. But this is hilarious.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/j...dium=socialflow

Harlan of course oozes excellence, but who's the BBC radio guy?

Something bizarrely awesome about having a Brit call American Football. Reminds me of opting for hearing Leigh Diffey (an aussie) call the last NASCAR race of the season over the :911: guys.

the BBC guy is Darren Fletcher who's day job is usually BT Sport's second soccer announcer after Ian Darke, but he's been doing commentary and presenting on the NFL ever since the BBC got the free to air part of the contract

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

BWV posted:

The funny thing about PTI is that when it started Kornheiser was the curmudgeon and Wilbon was the more contemporary voice. But over time they have slowly switched roles where now Wilbon is the geezer with backwards views and Kornheiser is much more receptive to new ways of thinking.

it's shocking since i regularly listen to kornheiser's podcast and he basically gushes over 60's pop but he at least has heard of barstool

sad that wilbon has an irrational old man hatred of millenials/analytics

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/828815561047957504

Speaking of Isola? LeBron called his rear end out.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

the BBC guy is Darren Fletcher who's day job is usually BT Sport's second soccer announcer after Ian Darke, but he's been doing commentary and presenting on the NFL ever since the BBC got the free to air part of the contract

I had to check it was not ex United Midfielder Darren Fletcher.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 7, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/828815561047957504

Speaking of Isola? LeBron called his rear end out.

I called Isola an idiot once on twitter and he DM'ed me calling me a wannabe New Yorker

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike Adamle, of Northwestern, NFL, American Gladiators, and WWE fame, is suffering dementia/CTE something fierce :(

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

God damnit, this hurts a lot. This will be me in 10 to 15 years, too. I'm already seeing small signs at 35 and it is only going to get worse. gently caress. :(

Don't let you kids play heavy contact sports.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Nelly is better than Shannon Sharpe

https://twitter.com/omg_itskhairy/status/829445838124498944

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pvt. Public posted:

God damnit, this hurts a lot. This will be me in 10 to 15 years, too. I'm already seeing small signs at 35 and it is only going to get worse. gently caress. :(

Don't let you kids play heavy contact sports.

The time I got concussed so badly I couldn't see color for several hours seems like a much less funny story with every passing year :/

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

MourningView posted:

The time I got concussed so badly I couldn't see color for several hours seems like a much less funny story with every passing year :/

I had one once where I cried uncontrollably for 4 hours straight and that's when I decided to stop playing football. It was too late, though, by that point. I, too, thought that story was funny until the former NFL pro suicide rate started happening more regularly and I realized what was going on.

I keep wondering how much longer I'm going to be able to enjoy watching college football, hockey, and rugby. I turned my back on the NFL a couple years ago once it came to light how awfully they were handling the concussion problem and I don't really miss it. I do find myself watching less and less each season. College football will probably be the next to go, I think. The game is getting closer to the NFL's levels of hits and the NCAA's actions on roughly everything make me constantly furious so that seems like the next step.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this came a little sooner than i thought

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/829681485712125952

e: in fact, seems like costas is now going to work on a very reduced schedule, period

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/business/media/bob-costas-nbc-olympics-host.html?_r=0&referer=

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 9, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

e: in fact, seems like costas is now going to work on a very reduced schedule, period

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/business/media/bob-costas-nbc-olympics-host.html?_r=0&referer=

As he's a leprechaun you forget how old Costas really is (64)

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

Nah, this is pretty much why Tirico was brought on board to begin with, though many of us would have thought it was to bookmark an Al Michaels retirement.

You could tell that Costas really couldn't give a gently caress about football/hockey/most of anything and really was only keeping up appearances for poo poo like The Kentucky Derby and the Olympics. In the end, Costas has always been a baseball purist and maybe the lightened load @NBC releases him to continue more in-depth work with MLB Network, which might have always been his end game.

I certainly will not miss his Costasmentaries on SNF with hot topics like "The Plight of Uppity Black Athletes" and "America & Gun Control" etc.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Costas said he wants to basically be now what Tom Brokaw is but to the sports world.

What that means is he'll show up every once in a while at major events to give an opinion nobody asked for and most folks will go "oh hey, he's still around. How 'bout that?"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pvt. Public posted:

I had one once where I cried uncontrollably for 4 hours straight and that's when I decided to stop playing football. It was too late, though, by that point. I, too, thought that story was funny until the former NFL pro suicide rate started happening more regularly and I realized what was going on.

I keep wondering how much longer I'm going to be able to enjoy watching college football, hockey, and rugby. I turned my back on the NFL a couple years ago once it came to light how awfully they were handling the concussion problem and I don't really miss it. I do find myself watching less and less each season. College football will probably be the next to go, I think. The game is getting closer to the NFL's levels of hits and the NCAA's actions on roughly everything make me constantly furious so that seems like the next step.

Have you considered moving into something safer like mma or pro wrestling

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, surprised this didn't get mentioned, but "O.J.: Made in America" got nominated for the long form documentary Oscar.

Honestly, there's two athletes in my mind that stand out as capable of having a miniseries about them. OJ is one, Ali is the other.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Pvt. Public posted:

drat man. That's brutal. I hope you're ok. My "gently caress this" moment was in Jayvee football when I got knocked the gently caress out twice in one week -- once on the receiving end of a crackback block, the other doing the head-to-head drill against a 300 pound Nose Tackle. Those were my first experiences with concussion-related memory loss and it scared me.

NFL is dead to me. I definitely can't stomach NCAA Football anymore, can't handling watching the hits + exploited labor + horrible scandals like Baylor. I have no idea how all of these analysts, including both former players and sports writers who should know better, can still embrace the sport. I guess $$$$$$$$$$$$ talks.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

iospace posted:

So, surprised this didn't get mentioned, but "O.J.: Made in America" got nominated for the long form documentary Oscar.

Honestly, there's two athletes in my mind that stand out as capable of having a miniseries about them. OJ is one, Ali is the other.

You could do Tiger, though you're probably about five to ten years away from being able to do the story properly. As a kid/amateur, his initial pro debut/15 stroke Masters win, most dominant athlete, the cheating, the aftermath.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

iospace posted:

I didn't even know it was eligible for an Oscar, being a TV miniseries and all, but apparently they did a small theater tour to meet Academy criteria.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

That was a drat good documentary, I wasn't going to watch it at first having lived through the OJ stuff everyday back in the 90s. I accidently turned on the premier, and was hooked. Great interviews, editing, getting all sides and key people. The bluntness and candidness was great too, I'll stop cause I could really praise a lot more about it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It was indeed released in theaters as a slightly longer version before they aired it on TV

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I never saw those crime scene photos before that documentary. Were they only shown in court before that? Like, I don't even remember 90s shock websites like ogrish or rotten or whatever having those.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

STORY TIME:

As a number of you know I work part-time for a local TV station and over the weekend I was on color commentary for BGSU's 50th anniversary hockey game. Returning to his alma mater as well was Doc Emrick to join the student radio braodcast of the game. In keeping with his first ever broadcast, Doc was on color for the first and third period, and got to do play-by-play for the second.

Before the game I got a chance to chat with him as I was grabbing some rosters and game notes, and he could not have been a nicer guy. He's worked at every level of broadcast from local to national and clearly hasn't forgotten his roots. He spoke really highly of any colleges and trade schools that have broadcast education. As it turns out, the kid who's been calling BG Falcons games this year (who thought someone was pranking him when Doc texted him a month ago wanting to go over name pronunciations) not only got the experience of a lifetime getting to call a game with a legend, but it was his birthday as well.

Doc is an awesome guy, and love or hate his calls he's a legit legend in broadcasting and getting even 5 minutes to shoot the poo poo with him was cool as hell. Keep doin' you, Doc.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

iospace posted:

Ken Burns Jackie Robinson documentary is similar to the OJ one in length and is terrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That's awesome DJ. I'm glad he was actually a nice guy since meeting people like that doesn't always work.