Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

http://streamable.com/nqipa

GOD DAMMIT KING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
Got yourself a regular jones there I see.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irOpgXIA5d8

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

IceOrb posted:

Got yourself a regular jones there I see.

We do have our own Jones but he's never betrayed me like this.

He's just colorblind and dies to Kapkan traps a lot.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Scanning footprints to ping players seems like it's going to get a lot of complaints early on.

though it'll be interesting to see mostly Caveira roaming after a while if they keep it useful.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

that's awesome, the second clip where he just casually carries on the match and wipes out two enemies like it's nothing but a thang, all whilst saying "you motherfuckers"

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
So I only got to play an hour or so of this game over the free weekend and now I am wondering if I should get it.

I really liked the gunplay and the sound of the gunshots but I didn't have enough time to really get into the mechanics and stuff.

I am mostly wondering how interesting the whole carot-on-a-stick with the character unlocks and stuff is and if that feels rewarding and makes you want to play.

Also, how noob friendly is the community? Will people yell at me for playing badly?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

skit herre posted:

So I only got to play an hour or so of this game over the free weekend and now I am wondering if I should get it.

I really liked the gunplay and the sound of the gunshots but I didn't have enough time to really get into the mechanics and stuff.

I am mostly wondering how interesting the whole carot-on-a-stick with the character unlocks and stuff is and if that feels rewarding and makes you want to play.

Also, how noob friendly is the community? Will people yell at me for playing badly?

Before saying anything else, the first and foremost piece of advice I would give you is: do not buy the game unless you've got a friend or two (or four!) to play with. Playing with pubbies is flip of the coin. Sometimes you end up with toxic assholes who'll kill you at the start of the round cause you took their character, or they'll kill you just for poo poo's and giggles or because they're grossly incompetent. The other half, you end up with chill people that actually use voice communication and you have fun. This game is all about teamplay, and having a decent team that communicates makes it so much more fun. The best fun I had in this game was a few months ago when I had a solid 4 man group I'd always be with: simultaneous breaching and clearing out rooms as a group was so satisfying. That said, it's totally your choice if you wanna go the pubbie route.

The character unlocks definitely is rewarding. You feel like because you spent time getting the renown and unlocking the character, you should put the time in to learn their nuances and "git gud" at playing them. That said, you'll inevitably buy one or two operators that you'll realise you hate within a few rounds (fuckin Glaz). I like the renown system, and for the basic operators, it's not a brutal grind to get them, it's relatively easy. I'm hoping the newer operatives get a lower renown cost one the new update hits.

The community is sorta noob friendly, totally depends who you end up being queued with. I've made big goofball mistakes and have had people tell me not to sweat it and it's all good. On the other hand, I've had people behave toxic as gently caress and round-kill me because of me not playing to their standard or mistakenly teamkilling when they decide to run in front of me as I'm lighting up enemies.

I'll end with the same point I made at the start: get friends to play this with, it'll help you actually fully enjoy the game. The only reason I'm not binging on this game right now is because I haven't found a solid group of people who I can play with.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Or just join the discord channel linked in the OP and don't be scared to join up with random people you see. We love noobs!

Buy siege

Siege is life

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

skit herre posted:

The character unlocks is a case of the 20 guys that were in the base game taking probably a weekend's worth of poopsocking to unlock, and the DLC guys each taking about the same amount of time(I think a little longer) as it took to unlock all the base operators, it's good if you play a lot, and if you don't that's sort of where they're hoping you'll buy season passes.

I've played with a goon or two who didn't want to buy season passes but also didn't play enough to get the DLC guys in a timely fashion and ended up seemingly frustrated with grinding for it instead of just enjoying the game because they were so focused on hitting the amount of renown required.

Skins can be sort of rewarding in a "oh, neat" sort of way but the important stuff is characters and then spending the small amount of extra renown to get gun attachments.

Friendliness of the community is a total diceroll. Sometimes you can get super chill people who just want to help newbies out, sometimes you'll get paired up with other dead weight newbies who aren't yet jaded enough to lash out at their comrades when they die/lose, and sometimes you'll get shithead idiots who will bash anyone who isn't singlehandedly carrying the team to a flawless victory.

Most of the time people are pretty quiet though, if you want to talk to cool fun dudes then play with friends or join the goon mumble or discord groups.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for the detailed answer. I don't think I'll get someone to play this with me on PC, so I guess I will have to think about it a bit more.

e: the players in the goon groups are probably mostly Americans and I am from Europe, so that's not great either

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I play random matches all the time when my friends aren't on and its still fun as hell. Most of the players I've encountered will work together as a team whenever someone asks them to care. If you end up in a good team the matchmaker will let you sit in a party with them until they eventually start to disconnect.

From my experiences most people don't take the game that seriously but like any eSportz you'll encounter people that forget this is a videogame. There are a lot of players that just like to try unconventional tactics which are always funny when they pay off because this game can be quite unpredictable for a competitive shooter. A lot of them are very good and they keep the game entertaining.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Just join the Discord, it's the best way to get a group of folks who will show you the ropes. I shotgunned a hostage through a window and also blew another one up through a bad grenade throw this weekend and they still let me hang around, so they're pretty chill guys.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've tried getting with a group in the Discord but no one ever seems to be on when I am. UK timezone differences?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Been playing with pubbies almost exclusively since the beginning and it's not as bad as some make it out to be. Ranked mode with randoms is fine too, you will get the occasional troll but it's really not as bad as CSGO for instance where people start raging the second they lose a round.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Loopoo posted:

I've tried getting with a group in the Discord but no one ever seems to be on when I am. UK timezone differences?

Yes, to get the most out of goon groups you need to have a hopelessly broken sleep schedule.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The discord is definitely mostly americans, but we do have a few euros that sometimes just join us or form their own group.

The unlocks aren't important at all, they're just a means to an end. The real carrot on the stick is that every round plays out differently, and often in crazy and hilarious ways. Once you learn the mechanics of the game you realize there's a lot of depth to it and it gets addicting fast.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Loopoo posted:

The timeline most people play on is EST and we usually start around 8/9PM, which translates to like 2/3 am UK time currently iirc. On some days we might start early ( weekends mainly) and we often run until 2/3 am at times so you might catch us at the tail end of sieging when you wake up.

Your best bet is to sit in pcgaming on synirc and see when the siege call goes out.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah like Jehde said the game is not at all about progressing through the unlocks. You get all the non dlc characters pretty quick and really the only reason you have to unlock them at all is so new players are forced to become acquainted with each of the characters over a longer period of time instead of having to figure out everyone at once.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Party Plane Jones posted:

The timeline most people play on is EST and we usually start around 8/9PM, which translates to like 2/3 am UK time currently iirc. On some days we might start early ( weekends mainly) and we often run until 2/3 am at times so you might catch us at the tail end of sieging when you wake up.

Your best bet is to sit in pcgaming on synirc and see when the siege call goes out.

Just FYI depending on my work schedule for the week I sometimes like to start Grandpa Siege around 630-7pm ET before all the pros and tryhards get on.

So just get on and ask for players, or if you see somebody in a channel just go and see if they are playing. A 2 man crew can be just as fun as 5.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Patch notes

http://rainbow6.ubi.com/siege/en-gb/updates/velvetshell/index.aspx

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Don't know how I feel about giving IQ grenades to compensate for her mostly useless gadget when it comes at the expensive of Capitão, who has a barely useful gadget.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
Just played the game for the first a couple days ago for the freeplay on Xbox. Now that it is over, I am sad. This game is pretty fun, guess I'll have to buy it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
IQ should be able to see when defenders are on their cellphones checking cameras or dinking around with the echo droid

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Malcolm Excellent posted:

IQ should be able to see when defenders are on their cellphones checking cameras or dinking around with the echo droid

:agreed:

unrelated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFRSC--kF38

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Yeah this right here would make her useful.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
IQ reverse hacks cameras and pings anyone checking them.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Wooper posted:

Don't know how I feel about giving IQ grenades to compensate for her mostly useless gadget when it comes at the expensive of Capitão, who has a barely useful gadget.

IQ's gadget really needs higher/not poo poo contrast to actually see stuff on day maps.

Edit: hahaha, capitao losing frags is totally going to drop his pick rate like whoa. The gently caress were they thinking?

Still salty about Thermite losing frags here hard.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 6, 2017

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

IQ's gadget really needs higher/not poo poo contrast to actually see stuff on day maps.

Turn down your brightness.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jehde posted:

Turn down your brightness.

Never. (It's on like 55 or 60, I think)

Also fixing the alt-enter operator selection is totally going to gently caress over those people who load into a map already in progress. It's your only chance not to be hosed with all recruit loadouts.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 6, 2017

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Edit: hahaha, capitao losing frags is totally going to drop his pick rate like whoa. The gently caress were they thinking?

Still salty about Thermite losing frags here hard.

The pro meta adapting to the ops changes is always an incredible thing to witness.

eRa almost won world championship over Continuum thanks to their Montagne strat. On Skyscrapper!! :psyboom:

fakeedit: Slowly starting to update the OP with the new info on Y2S1.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Thermite is the class that has been hosed 6 ways from Sunday but people still take him solely because you need the gadget. The 556xi was good for one brief shining moment when muzzle brakes were broken and then it was lost to the ages. The destruction model change was just insult to injury on a gun with one of the lowest fire rates.

Edit: gimmick game mode idea: operators with claymores should have them attached to their drones during the drone phase, and they arm when the round starts. Mode should be named Drone Hunt

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 6, 2017

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I really want an operator with a dog instead of a drone.

But the dog should just lie down with a bandaged paw if shot.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

I want a dude with night vision that cuts the power/lights out everywhere. It's not very creative but it would be fun. Have the operator run to a few specific locations on the map to tap into the power grid, plant a device and remotely shut off power.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Hard posted:

The pro meta adapting to the ops changes is always an incredible thing to witness.

eRa almost won world championship over Continuum thanks to their Montagne strat. On Skyscrapper!! :psyboom:

fakeedit: Slowly starting to update the OP with the new info on Y2S1.

I get that watching the pro meta change is rad as heck, but there's also the regular-rear end players like myself. I'm not great at the game by any means, but I'm getting better every day. One of the things that I liked about Capitao was he had multiple means of forcing the enemy out of a space, both the poison gas and the frag. The frags were useful when a direct line of sight wasn't possible, and the poison was great when it was.

Now, that's not really possible.

Thermite losing the frags seems somewhat more sensical. He's about getting the team where they need to be, opening paths and sightlines. A frag isn't doing that, it's wounding the other team or forcing them to move.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Sdoots posted:

Thermite losing the frags seems somewhat more sensical. He's about getting the team where they need to be, opening paths and sightlines. A frag isn't doing that, it's wounding the other team or forcing them to move.

Being able to chuck a grenade into a freshly opened can of sardines was super useful. Capitao losing his nades makes a bit more sense because he already has the crossbow for area denial, but I was hoping they'd give him breach charges so he wouldn't have to depend on others to get places.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

FIXED – Using Alt + Enter during the Operator Select would allow players to change Operators during loading.

Worst patch ever

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

The Duggler posted:

FIXED – Using Alt + Enter during the Operator Select would allow players to change Operators during loading.

Worst patch ever

I'd love to see this be a thing that works exclusively with Recruit, because goddamn, does it feel lovely having the timer run out on you.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

afkmacro posted:

Yeah this right here would make her useful.

HARD people agree with me! Do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sdoots posted:

Thermite' gun is really good at getting injuries and really bad at killing dudes just injured (due to the temporary invulnerability as the guy falls to the ground, I've got a clip in here or in the old thread of me sinking 15 R4 shots in a guy as he fell with him still surviving) between the low ROF, the misaligned acog sights (though this might have been fixed, I don't play thermite nearly as much as Jey does) and random second shot recoil.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 6, 2017

• Locked thread