Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva

Thanks Ants posted:

not heard that sound in ages. are phones getting better at rejecting it or was it a gsm/2g thing? some of our newer polycoms advertise a feature where they can reject it but i have no idea how that works.

I think it was mostly a gsm thing. you could always tell which people had their blackberry service with at&t as opposed to verizon because they were the ones always causing the interference.

"Hey, look how important I am, I'm going to place my Blackberry prominently on the conference table throughout the meeting so everyone will know how important i am to the smooth operation of this company"
*bip bipbudip bipbudip bipbudip bipbudip bzz bzzzzz*
-every regional manager of every company ever in 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
PM - "The only thing rising up was the chili dip I consumed during the first half."

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Iridium posted:

PM - "The only thing rising up was the chili dip I consumed during the first half."

bold move to share his impotence problems on the conference call

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

an email just went out to 100% of our vendors bcc'ed asking them for some info and it's a word file with a goddamn embedded jpg so apparently we intend for them print the goddamn thing out and fill it in by hand jc

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Lyon posted:

lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i really wish my team lead would stop saying "i'll talk to the rest of the team" when the rest of the team is me

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

carry on then posted:

i really wish my team lead would stop saying "i'll talk to the rest of the team" when the rest of the team is me

its u lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

carry on then posted:

maybe you're doing the jobs of three people, demand a raise lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

unfortunately!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Cold on a Cob posted:

maybe you're doing the jobs of three people, demand a raise lol

not quite but i have a feeling i'm about to

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Lyon posted:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i decided to tp from my desk and, while waiting for the meeting to start, accidentally tabbed to jabber and not my browser then hit cmd + r. turns out thats the redial shortcut and i appeared in another tp. somehow nobody was looking at their screen so i just lold and left quietly

carry on then

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i tp from my desk as well, or should i say posting station

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
same

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

please dont reproduce images of my posting station without attribution

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im the beers cooling in the sink

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
director just sent out an email to tell us how important it is to work nights and weekends to fix this critical architectural problem that they totally saw coming but decided not to address until six weeks before launch.

quote:

WE have a challenge ahead of us. I know we can do this if WE work together and focus. We are a world class IT organization for <company>, an acclaimed place to work and WE have trust. WE can do this.

thx man. (not my problem tho lol)

edit- and btw this is because the new Oracle middleware stuff is unable to effectively handle the load on VMs like the previous (desperately outdated app) does so they decided to move them to physical servers.

Iridium fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 8, 2017

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

quit

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it's not his problem, he's just got a front row seat to the trainwreck which is really the optimum place to be

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 8, 2017

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

lol why?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
boss just told me a story of trying to telepresence our senior vp in another state and a third group at the same time yesterday. our IT dept was able to make all 3 see each other but only groups 1 and 2 could hear. someone came up with the bright idea of just using their phones for the audio. every time someone talked, it would echo endlessly across those two groups until after 20 minutes of trying the meeting was scrubbed

the senior vp was also drinking a beer during this whole thing

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bhodi posted:

boss just told me a story of trying to telepresence our senior vp in another state and a third group at the same time yesterday. our IT dept was able to make all 3 see each other but only groups 1 and 2 could hear. someone came up with the bright idea of just using their phones for the audio. every time someone talked, it would echo endlessly across those two groups until after 20 minutes of trying the meeting was scrubbed

a shame, that's enough time for two beers at least

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Iridium posted:

lol why?
probably this part

Iridium posted:

director just sent out an email to tell us how important it is to work nights and weekends
sounds like you dodged the bullet this time but the expectation of nights+weekends would make me antsy

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Iridium posted:

director just sent out an email to tell us how important it is to update our resumes

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bhodi posted:

whenever theres a solid echo that can reach feedback levels i make guitar noises or whatever to gently caress with the echo and ride at its edge like im doing wicked artificial harmonics

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Elysiume posted:

probably this part
sounds like you dodged the bullet this time but the expectation of nights+weekends would make me antsy

o, lol, no, that doesn't really apply to me. i got the hell away from any hands on poo poo four years ago and haven't been needed (aside from special events like hosting our hackathon last week) out of hours since the days when I was bringing my successor up to speed.

srsly, worst case for me is that they'll ask me to join a late-ish conference call to ask me about how we handled situation X, Y years ago.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
ironically last night I was asked to stay late to help triage some stuff that went wrong/bad :sweatdrop:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

to celebrate recent successes the department coordinated a little hour-long party at all the sites where we would each join a group call on a skype cart and the managers would say a few words

what actually happened was 10 minutes of the director starting to talk and then being interrupted by his own voice turning into screeching feedback, so he just muted everyone and we ate cake

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

carry on then posted:

to celebrate recent successes the department coordinated a little hour-long party at all the sites where we would each join a group call on a skype cart and the managers would say a few words

what actually happened was 10 minutes of the director starting to talk and then being interrupted by his own voice turning into screeching feedback, so he just muted everyone and we ate cake

sounds like a win to me

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

carry on then posted:

so he just muted everyone and we ate cake

A shining example to us all

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
PM - "Well it's a maybe, but we're still doing it."

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
drove 2 hours to attend a vendor presentation because said vendor claims to have god-technology that will turn my whole industry upside down and has been highly cagey with anything resembling a detail. wanted a chance to look someone in the face and get some questions answered

someone on the call seems to be scuba diving, or perhaps preparing dinner? just loud gurgling and popping noises going on and on at full volume. no voices or toilets, just mysterious fluid sounds

telecon start time rolls around. no presenter in sight. presenter walks into the room at 8 minutes past the hour, takes out laptop and gets it booting. the host says ok can you give me the slides so I can put them on the podium computer and they can go out via gotomeeting.

presenter says "skype?".
host: "the people on the call are all on gotomeeting."
presenter: "skype??"
host: "they are on gotomeeting. the client only takes a moment to-"
presenter: "that computer wouldn't have the codecs to play these slides."
host: "I guess you could skype me, then I could share that over goto"
agreed

we were then treated to some .3 fps videos, a quarter of an hour after the presentation was due to start. the presenter walked around the room, further and further from the telecon phone on the table, while talking with his hands and using his phone as a prop.

Q&A time:
some lady mumbles a 5 minute long question. i was sitting 10 feet away from her in the same room and heard not one word. presenter does not repeat her question into the mic, summarize, or give any clue as to what the lady just said. they carry on back and forth for a few minutes. no relevant information appears to have been exchanged anyhow.

remainder of Q&A consisted of him repeating marketing bullet items at me and trying to avoid having taking questions from me. not enough people on the call or in the meeting to do a clean job of that though lol

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Uncle Enzo posted:

drove 2 hours to attend a vendor presentation because said vendor claims to have god-technology

why would you ever do this? did you get a per diem or paid miles or something?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

so what do they sell, synergy solutions or some poo poo

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Corla Plankun posted:

why would you ever do this? did you get a per diem or paid miles or something?

took a company car, the extra time can be used as pto whenever i want. So I worked 5 extra hours, i can take off at 11 am on monday or any other day if i want. this kind of time doesn't expire, though you are limited in how much you can carry from pay period to pay period.

this vendor had been making these claims for almost 2 years, we have some small contracts with them, i wanted Some Goddamn Answers. so we showed up in person and i asked about a ton of unaddressed problems.

it's a small industry, no details. But the fact that they kept resorting to marketing talking points- while 5 levels of senior scientists in my org were listening- might give people some pause.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
ooooh i love those meetings

"our product totally meets (regulatory requirement)!"
"Uh the requirement hasn't been published yet, can we see a copy?"
"well no but er see this technology is expected to work."
"what about XYZ condition?"
"err... well uh ah... well... as long as it's warm enough."
"you realize this is canada right?"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

ooooh i love those meetings

"our product totally meets (regulatory requirement)!"
"Uh the requirement hasn't been published yet, can we see a copy?"
"well no but er see this technology is expected to work."
"what about XYZ condition?"
"err... well uh ah... well... as long as it's warm enough."
"you realize this is canada right?"

hey I had that temperature discussion with a customer a few weeks ago...
"we've had some problems with equipment that can't actually take the cold"
"our engineering is in Saint Paul Minnesota "
"oh, great"

only problem is they then want to talk about hockey

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
"our prototype can successfully handle half a gallon per minute"
"k so we need to do four thousand tons an hour"
"...ah... well... I'd have to talk to engineering"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

presenter does not repeat her question into the mic, summarize, or give any clue as to what the lady just said.
OH GOD I FUCKIN HATE IT SO BAD WHEN PEOPLE DO THIS

It's like, so do you ACTIVELY wish to exclude the people on the phone, or are you just utterly incapable of imagining a world that isn't right in front of your face and speaking to you this exact instant?

• Locked thread