Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I tend to give Comedy shows a bit more leeway.

Some of my favorite ones had terrible early episodes.

I think there is an idea that I like about the show, doubt it will be great but I'll see if it improves at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
If it were on cable, or a streaming platform, I'd give it a chance, but NBC isn't exactly a healthy place for a show to find its footing and I don't want to waste time watching weak episodes for a show that will probably be cancelled in a few months.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I thought Powerless was ok, but yea it needs to do better because an 'ok' pilot means usually it's gonna slide to 'this is actually poo poo' real fast.

It had good moments, Funches is great in it and the scene with the Kryptonite window was solid. They clearly know how to write DC universe jokes, they just need to actually, ya know, do it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

AbsolutelySane posted:

It looked like they half-assed tried to crib from Better Off Ted, but totally missed all the things that made that funny. Even the fake commercial at the beginning is like an inferior version of the Veridian commercials. Emily is no Ted.

If you want more Ted Crisp, watch 'Santa Clarita Diet'. Timothy Olyphant basically plays Ted with Linda as his zombie wife.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ToastyPotato posted:

If it were on cable, or a streaming platform, I'd give it a chance, but NBC isn't exactly a healthy place for a show to find its footing and I don't want to waste time watching weak episodes for a show that will probably be cancelled in a few months.

Community, Parks and Rec, and Office started out questionably.

Severely doubt this show will anywhere near those shows, but NBC comedies have a history of starting off bad. Don't watch it if you don't want to time is precious. But comedies are so often based on cast chemistry and actors finding a character. Probably will get cancelled tho...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

Community, Parks and Rec, and Office started out questionably.

Severely doubt this show will anywhere near those shows, but NBC comedies have a history of starting off bad. Don't watch it if you don't want to time is precious. But comedies are so often based on cast chemistry and actors finding a character. Probably will get cancelled tho...

Those were also started years ago and within a relatively short time of each other. 30 Rock was also in that grouping wasn't it? And My Name is Earl? Has NBC had a healthy comedy since then? Community also didn't exactly survive the NBC environment. It was cancelled and moved elsewhere.

But yeah, with sitcoms I typically avoid the rough initial period in general anyway.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Community lasted five seasons on NBC, that's hardly not surviving

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Community lasted five seasons on NBC, that's hardly not surviving

Weren't both 4 and 5 only half length? People weren't even sure 5 was going to happen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Yeah and a lot of those shows remind since NBC wanted its Thursday comedy block, but that's gone so who knows.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

NBC was also much more willing to take chances back then and let ratings poor but critically great and niche shows survive a bit longer. Since they've had a little success recently, they've been much more likely to axe a show if it's not a hit from go.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yeah, I remember Parks and Rec and particularly Community weren't ratings juggernauts like The Office was. But they pretty much had nothing else to fill the slots, and everything else they were producing at the time just ended up cancelled.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Powerless was bloody awful. But now i have to watch it, because Alan Tudyk is so charming.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rocksicles posted:

Powerless was bloody awful. But now i have to watch it, because Alan Tudyk is so charming.

I hate comedies in general and this one in particular, but he really elevates every scene he's in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I hate comedies in general
At least your username is appropriate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm seeing some strong reviews for Legion so far.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The Good Place on NBC had a great first season, glad to see it's getting a second.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

The Good Place on NBC had a great first season, glad to see it's getting a second.
That show was so much better than I thought it was going to be, holy crap.

Also Jameela Jamil would make an amazing Vampirella, just putting that out there.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I have no idea where or if I can stream Legion in NZ. Stupid positive review hype.
TV shows, go give your international rights to Netflix, like Riverdale. It's very convenient!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm going to do what I always do for Great FX Shows and buy them on Amazon the day the season is over. Usually a whole season is like 20 bucks and I hate waiting week to week.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
New Iron Fist trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7nfhrTlmIY

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Nothing in that makes the premise or the character of Danny seem super exciting or fresh to be honest, but I'm excited for Madama Gao and that last shot makes me hopeful that they're holding a lot of the good stuff back

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It looks generic, but not in a bad way - just as in it doesn't bring a lot of new stuff to the Netflixverse.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

It comes out on St. Patrick's day... I suppose there are much worse ways to nurse a hangover.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That looks very boring. :geno:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

It's definitely not as hype as Cage's trailers were, but I don't care. I'm already on board here, I have yet to be let down by Netflix Marvel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

It's definitely not as hype as Cage's trailers were, but I don't care. I'm already on board here, I have yet to be let down by Netflix Marvel.

Yeah, Netflix Marvel never fails... until the last few episodes which seem to be consistently disappointing.

e: Oh wait, Jessica Jones had a good last episode, it just had way too long of a middle.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The super duper mind power serum didn't turn Tennant purple, 0/10.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Cast of Runaways has been revealed
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/03/runaways-marvel-announces-cast-for-hulu-series

quote:

The Hulu series -- which is written by The OC and Chuck creator Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage (The OC) -- will star Rhenzy Feliz (Teen Wolf) as Alex Wilder, Lyrica Okano (The Affair) as Nico Minoru, Virginia Gardner (Goat) as Karolina Dean, Ariela Barer (New Girl) as Gert Yorkes, Gregg Sulkin (Faking It, Anti Social) as Chase Stein, and Allegra Acosta (Just Add Magic) as Molly Hernandez.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jesus Christ, that writing team.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The guy created Chuck. He's okay in my book.

I also thought that the OC was good when it started? I never watched it, but I thought that was the impression.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Runaways is basically The OC with superpowers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

I also thought that the OC was good when it started? I never watched it, but I thought that was the impression.

Convention wisdom is that the OC started out real good, burned through way too much plot way too quickly, then floundered.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

howe_sam posted:

Convention wisdom is that the OC started out real good, burned through way too much plot way too quickly, then floundered.

See also Gossip Girl and Chuck. Schwartz is great at getting you hooked but it comes at the cost of burning through ideas really fast.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Agents of SHIELD continues to be solid, but this week's episode felt strangely like they were just treading water. I'm sure there will be fallout from Senator Nadeer getting blown up but aside from that I don't feel like the plot advanced a whole lot. Mace stepped up and is a hero, which I think we all knew he would in the clutch, and someone / a group wants Coulson dead, which... is probably just a day at the office for him? I found myself hoping for something more for the entire episode and not getting it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's always that way. They have 22 episodes and usually only 7 or 8 of plot.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

RevKrule posted:

See also Gossip Girl and Chuck. Schwartz is great at getting you hooked but it comes at the cost of burning through ideas really fast.

Chuck was good all the way through. The only bad part was the ending and going with a tired amnesia/losing memories thing. They also always had no idea if they'd get renewed for the next season so had to plan things that would be good series enders just in case.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Chuck was good all the way through. The only bad part was the ending and going with a tired amnesia/losing memories thing. They also always had no idea if they'd get renewed for the next season so had to plan things that would be good series enders just in case.

The big problem with the last season of Chuck was that Shaw should've been the last boss, and not some random dude who pops up halfway through. Although the amnesia stuff wasn't great either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Although the amnesia stuff wasn't great either.

An evergreen statement.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

howe_sam posted:

It had a really good last season, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

howe_sam posted:

I thought, at least with the OC, that this was because of the network. Like, the entire plot of the first season was planned to be three seasons, but he was forced to do it in one. Then, obviously, he had burned too much plot and floundered.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 8, 2017