Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

univbee posted:

If memory serves there may have been a cheaper third-party S-Video cable that was easier to find. This also might be a Canadian thing more than anything else. My saga of tracking down the official Sony one is from 2000, fwiw.

I got the official sony cable shortly after the release of the system, probably around 1997, so it may have been easier to find near launch and then gotten harder to find as third party ones were released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

GutBomb posted:

Linking your own twitter is fine but serious question: why are you using the nes classic as a frame of reference for color? It's an emulator and thus not going to be accurate. Just go with what you think looks good.

I just remember the NES Classic was suppose to be the most 'accurate' emulator since Nintendo made it, so I figured it would be a good color base to work from. It also a hold over when my CRT was really off in color and brightness. Regardless of issues, I think it might be fine now.

Next time I probably use imgur instead.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rirse posted:

I just remember the NES Classic was suppose to be the most 'accurate' emulator since Nintendo made it, so I figured it would be a good color base to work from. It also a hold over when my CRT was really off in color and brightness. Regardless of issues, I think it might be fine now.

Next time I probably use imgur instead.

What people are trying to say is that your entire method of calibrating is backwards, you're trying to get one display to match something on a completely different display. Even if it was the exact same perfect source what you are doing would still be wrong as the displays have wildly different characteristics. The entire point of calibration with something like SMPTE bars is so that you know that one particular display is showing something correctly, so you don't have to do what you're doing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

what the "real" NES palette is.

It's bad, is what it is. :twisted:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

I just remember the NES Classic was suppose to be the most 'accurate' emulator since Nintendo made it

This is definitely not true. "Accurate" emulation is computationally very expensive and the NES Classic was explicitly designed as a low-cost solution. Also Nintendo does a lot of weird things because they're, in theory, legally liable for weird stuff, like how the Wii/Wii U emulators are typically a darker image to prevent burn-in, and games hacked to disable flashy effects and be less seizure-inducing (the pilot Pokémon episode airing in Japan brought a huge number of legal requirements onto Japanese industries involving displaying TV images to a wide audience).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

What people are trying to say is that your entire method of calibrating is backwards, you're trying to get one display to match something on a completely different display. Even if it was the exact same perfect source what you are doing would still be wrong as the displays have wildly different characteristics. The entire point of calibration with something like SMPTE bars is so that you know that one particular display is showing something correctly, so you don't have to do what you're doing.

Yeah, that is true. The LCD tv is already pre-configured for gaming colors, so it probably not even right too. I did use the SMPTE bars in the 240 test suite, but that when I noticed it was too dark in stuff like Mega Man 3 (Snakeman stage the background was almost a black screen) or Sonic's sky being a dark blue.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

wa27 posted:

I don't even know what color the sky is in SMB.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color/2068-50/victorian-trim?color=2068-50

Edit: It's a great idea if you don't mind answering the question "is your wall supposed to be that color" from anyone who doesn't immediately recognize it. Also it looks awful in warm lighting.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 6, 2017

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Yeah, but what's the Pantone value?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Since we're on displays, I have a question about CRTs.
My PVM does this thing where white images on a black background will leave a 'trail' when moving; is this a CRT thing? Or is my monitor having issues?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rirse posted:

Yeah, that is true. The LCD tv is already pre-configured for gaming colors, so it probably not even right too. I did use the SMPTE bars in the 240 test suite, but that when I noticed it was too dark in stuff like Mega Man 3 (Snakeman stage the background was almost a black screen) or Sonic's sky being a dark blue.

even if you calibrate both TVs with the same test suite, both will look different as they're showing what's correct within their own standards. thats why you calibrate each one independently and don't calibrate one by eye off the other, ever

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Charles Get-Out posted:

My PVM does this thing where white images on a black background will leave a 'trail' when moving; is this a CRT thing? Or is my monitor having issues?

Does it still show up in a recording of the screen? It might just be a visual illusion.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Charles Get-Out posted:

If the trail just follows the image like a comet tail or something and isn't like, a giant line across the whole screen then yes it's normal and some people actually really like that quality and seek it out.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

even if you calibrate both TVs with the same test suite, both will look different as they're showing what's correct within their own standards. thats why you calibrate each one independently and don't calibrate one by eye off the other, ever

That probably why the NES looked 'right' but the Genesis was off. I have to rerun the test suite then.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

fishmech posted:

Does it still show up in a recording of the screen? It might just be a visual illusion.

This is a good point as I do have old man eyes. I'll have to check it with my camera.

d0s posted:

If the trail just follows the image like a comet tail or something and isn't like, a giant line across the whole screen then yes it's normal and some people actually really like that quality and seek it out.

Also good to know and yeah it isn't static burn in, more like if someone turned on very slight mouse pointer tails. I tried searching for 'ghosting' like on an LCD, but apparently people use that to refer to burn in on CRTs.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ran the 240 test suite and yeah the color was off on the SMPTE color bar. Got it adjusted from that and do think it looks good now.

That said, the sky still looks off from screenshots I seen of the same area online.

I should probably not worry about that through.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This may be a very basic question but is there any way to ID a SNES/SFC motherboard without taking off all the metal shielding? I took my good SFC apart to retrobrite it today and I noticed that this mobo has a pull-off sound module while the other spare motherboard I have (from the SFC that arrived with the cracked case) doesn't. Just wondering what, if anything, that says about the revisions I have.

I don't really want to start peeling it apart any further but my curiosity may get the best of me :q:

edit: Oh wait nevermind, the cans aren't affixed at all and just come off easily.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 6, 2017

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
For future reference, yes but you need one of like 3 games that have a test mode.
http://superfamicom.org/console-serial-database

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rirse posted:

Ran the 240 test suite and yeah the color was off on the SMPTE color bar. Got it adjusted from that and do think it looks good now.

That said, the sky still looks off from screenshots I seen of the same area online.

I should probably not worry about that through.

I've noticed that the Genesis's palette seems to suffer worse in emulation than pretty much any other console. That might be due to using a lot of dithering effect.

Sonic's water effects have been used in this thread to show the difference and it's really visible to me in Pulseman...

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Random Stranger posted:

I've noticed that the Genesis's palette seems to suffer worse in emulation than pretty much any other console. That might be due to using a lot of dithering effect.

Sonic's water effects have been used in this thread to show the difference and it's really visible to me in Pulseman...

Yeah that why I am not as worry about trying to match that, since hardware and the emulator screenshots tend to match mostly then something will be off color like the sky in this and Sonic by something slight.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Genesis emulation in general is interesting because it runs and plays fine, but the video and sound have a bunch of tiny problems that bother people familiar with the real hardware.

Maybe other systems are as bad but I don't notice because I'm not as familiar with those systems.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Genesis itself is a hosed up family of various audio and video revisions so who's to really say what the "standard" is? :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cindy Shitbird posted:

The Genesis itself is a hosed up family of various audio and video revisions so who's to really say what the "standard" is? :v:

This is the real answer to the question.

SNES emulation is close enough that I'd have to have a side by side comparison of the really egregious differences to notice anything. NES emulation is even closer. But Genesis? Even the uncultured "just let me play" lout that I am can see the differences.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Elliotw2 posted:

Genesis emulation in general is interesting because it runs and plays fine, but the video and sound have a bunch of tiny problems that bother people familiar with the real hardware.

Maybe other systems are as bad but I don't notice because I'm not as familiar with those systems.
The audio in "Sega Smash Pack" for Dreamcast was reeeeeeally bad, and that was an official product! I had chalked it up to just being a very early example of consolized emulation, but if Genesis sound is problematic in general that would make sense.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Where can I find flac files of Sonic 2 recorded from a model 1 genesis?

Then the same, but from a cdx.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uggh my SCART to HDMI upscaler was returned to sender undeliverable for some reason so I got a refund. Now I have to decide whether I want to get another one of these, wait for OSSC, or buy an XRBG. I really like the idea of the OSSC and I will likely be buying a new TV in the next year anyway so I can put OSSC compatibility on my go-to list, but I don't know how long I want to wait. My thinking is that the OSSC with a compatible TV will be a more pleasant experience than the XRGB but who knows when that thing actually hits the market.

Now I'm trying to convince myself that Composite video isn't that bad and I can live with it for the time being :q:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Other than form factor, what are the main differences between an XRGB3 and an XRGB Mini?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

Other than form factor, what are the main differences between an XRGB3 and an XRGB Mini?

As an XRGB3 haver, it outputs in VGA D-15 and not HDMI.

For composite and S-Video it has two sets of inputs for each.

Its SCART input is a straight JP-21 port.

It has VGA in.

Honestly just get the Mini to have HDMI output properly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Minidust posted:

The audio in "Sega Smash Pack" for Dreamcast was reeeeeeally bad, and that was an official product! I had chalked it up to just being a very early example of consolized emulation, but if Genesis sound is problematic in general that would make sense.

The emulator used for the Dreamcast version was a regular emulator some guy had made for PCs, which was rushed in porting to the Dreamcast (they used the same emulator for the PC version of Smash Pack, but since it was already PC native the sound was a lot better though not perfect). I want to say it was KGEN but I'm not sure, just that Sega actually approached the emulator author to work out proper licensing of his emulator which was pretty cool.

But yeah, there's at least two different chip revisions used for Genesis audio, might be more, and those chips would sound noticeably different. (and that's before any other changes between the sound generation chips and the output from the console). Hard to say which one is "better" because some games were programmed expecting one of the revisions and some were expecting the other. You can just be sure that whichever one you have, some of your games are going to sound "wrong".

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Rirse posted:

I just remember the NES Classic was suppose to be the most 'accurate' emulator since Nintendo made it

lol

Edit in case that's bannable or something: No emulator made inside of a commercial studio under time and budget restrictions is going to ever match up to the literal decades of knowledge that has been shared by obsessive authors in the amateur emulator scene.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

Unironically give me an hour and I'll mail you all the cdx/nomad/model 1 recordings you want

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Re: Denny's Atari discussion pages back, the whole collection is available on iOS for free.

RZA Encryption posted:

For the Model 1, right here!
http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net/media/

I would love to hear it from a CDX too though, Elliotw2. Any chance of CDX Knuckles Chaotix? :3: Just the credits medley from the sound test would be enough to see how it hilariously fucks up the drums.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I was totally joking but at the same time I was 100% sure it existed.

Edit: of course there are a bunch of youtube videos to showcase the difference in audio between system revisions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjCOlnGpi1g

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 6, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

I was totally joking but at the same time I was 100% sure it existed.

Edit: of course there are a bunch of youtube videos to showcase the difference in audio between system revisions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjCOlnGpi1g

I'm guilty of making a video like this...

Random Stranger posted:

Example: the transparent rainbow tubes look better here. I've seen the argument that certain devs knew what they were doing for the RF/composite majority.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Heran Bago posted:

I'm guilty of making a video like this...

Example: the transparent rainbow tubes look better here. I've seen the argument that certain devs knew what they were doing for the RF/composite majority.

That a quite a jump. And going with a similar spot in Chemical Plant Zone, I can generally tell the color are looking right, even through the blue piece is red in my picture, but that probably due to the location of the map I am on.

Hard to take pictures of a CRT when the game is in motion.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm pretty sure those "blue parts" palette cycle the entire time, and their color at any given moment is more a factor of how long the stage has been running since you spawned than it is where exactly you are in the stage.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
There's a reason that video engineers joke that NTSC stands for "Never The Same Color"

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
On those topics this video about CGA graphics is super interesting:

https://youtu.be/niKblgZupOc

I had no idea the terrible CGA color pallet looked totally different on a TV via composite.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

I would love to hear it from a CDX too though, Elliotw2. Any chance of CDX Knuckles Chaotix? :3: Just the credits medley from the sound test would be enough to see how it hilariously fucks up the drums.

I might get the 32X out later, but I have a short audio cord and a shorter PSU cable so you get PS4's intro and Sonic 2 for now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ht9SRwWeQtaC1ScW5LMExlQUk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ht9SRwWeQteV9IU3p4dElCYm8/view?usp=sharing

Both of these are straight from my CDX's line out right into my computer's line in, so it should be more or less perfect.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 6, 2017

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Yeah, don't try to match picture settings between CRT and LCD screens (or even screenshots really), they will never look the same and aren't designed to. If you ran the 240p suite then it should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

every time that dude says "but it still doesn't match $picture_on_my_computer" I want to scream and punch things. because I have a healthy brain.

• Locked thread