Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashinated
May 21, 2003

nom nom nom

InfinityComplex posted:

...Got a link?

Link to SA Discord server: https://discord.gg/Trm4k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

That said, my copy from Amazon is still showing my copy of Nioh as not having been shipped yet but still arriving tomorrow, so I'm not particularly optimistic about the odds of my chances to play it tomorrow. And while that's a little bitter, all it really means is I'll have to be vigilant for over-excited fans posting "not-spoiler" spoilers.

When that happens for me it usually arrives by an Amazon carrier, same day but late in the day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
IGN review is up: 9.6

quote:

Nioh could well take over 100 hours if you set out to master its many side missions on top of its tough campaign, but it’s a challenge well worth taking. The way it builds on its most obvious inspirations with a highly refined combat system and an unexpectedly charming, yet gritty style all its own allows it to boldly carve out its own identity, standing as a shining example of what action RPGs can be.

Nioh is an epic, unforgettable adventure carried by a fierce combat system that cleverly balances style and strategy

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Sounds like ign found the block button.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Genocyber posted:

When that happens for me it usually arrives by an Amazon carrier, same day but late in the day.

That'd be nice. If it's not there I'll go and break in my new YMCA membership. If it is, whelp. There's always 2018.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

InfinityComplex posted:

...Got a link?

edit: Oh, thought we had a Nioh specific goon server.

It was on the top of the page you both posted on and the one before that :mad:

https://discord.gg/25cFFs6

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Emalde posted:

I'll add it to the OP

Fashinated
May 21, 2003

nom nom nom

Emalde posted:

Whoops, my bad!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Welp. Snow day. Kids home. I'm home. And I'm staring at a timer at 8 hours 33 minutes. Couldn't come tomorrow snow?

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Bombadilillo posted:

Welp. Snow day. Kids home. I'm home. And I'm staring at a timer at 8 hours 33 minutes. Couldn't come tomorrow snow?
I am thinking largely the same. Though because I have an early morning job that leaves my afternoon open, I would've rather this happened Wednesday so that my classes then would be canceled.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
67 and sunny here. Sigh

8 hours 25 min

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

I'm going to throw myself down my staircase and try to break my legs tonight so I can stay home tomorrow and play this.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Don't reflexively put your hands out and make sure you've got a neck brace and a helmet on.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm doing a month's work of med school poo poo so I can play with no worries.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I'm avoiding passing the time by jerkin it so my carpal tunnel doesn't flare up

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

I think this game is probably gonna own.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Tempted to transplant my consciousness directly into my ps4. I only have a 2gb usb drive is that enough

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lets hang out posted:

No it was different but just slightly. The tengu who would gank you if you ran up to chase the kappa behind the last shrine was only there in yokai realm coop. Same with the adds during the ogress boss.

Wait wait... I'm thinking about this more. Are you sure that wasn't the twilight version? I could be wrong but I thought I remembered fighting ogress co-op and only having her, and then fighting her twilight and having the adds that time.

Twilight version had totally different spawns though, so that's probably not what you meant... IDK. We'll see when its out.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I dunno what happened when I played the Last Chance Trial but when I fought the Ogress in the Twilight Mission I never saw any adds in her fight, it ended up playing out exactly the same as the regular fight.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Phantasium posted:

I dunno what happened when I played the Last Chance Trial but when I fought the Ogress in the Twilight Mission I never saw any adds in her fight, it ended up playing out exactly the same as the regular fight.

They're only there if you're in co-op.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I don't remember any adds for the Twilight version of that fight either. Good thing too, that boss arena is really small for that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Genocyber posted:

They're only there if you're in co-op.

That's weird.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
"Your Amazon.com order of "PS4 Nioh - PlayStation 4" has shipped!"

:worship:

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
What does Yokai Realm mean in relation to co op vs Yokai Realm?
E:spell gud

knobgobblin fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 6, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Alright, I watched enough to decide that this is probably worth a pre order for me. Not sure what I want to do for a first character, thinking Spears since they apparently scale really well to body and I can make a beefy meatwall with a pointy stick since my standard Dark Souls go to of 'biggest wooden club I can get my hands on' doesn't seem like it's going to be a thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

Alright, I watched enough to decide that this is probably worth a pre order for me. Not sure what I want to do for a first character, thinking Spears since they apparently scale really well to body and I can make a beefy meatwall with a pointy stick since my standard Dark Souls go to of 'biggest wooden club I can get my hands on' doesn't seem like it's going to be a thing.

Have you seen hammers? Hammers are a thing...

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The Axe/Hammer moveset is pretty dark-soulsy too

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Snak posted:

Unless one of the hammers looks like you just pulled a dead tree from the ground I'm not interested :colbert:

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
There are some really huge and ornate hammers in this game, but they kinda clash with the aesthetic of the game for me. Gonna go katana spirit I think for my first run and try out some cute lil animals.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

there wolf lmao posted:

What does Yokai Realm mean in relation to co op vs Yokai Realm?
E:spell gud

It just basically means "Mission with companion" versus "summon companion"

They're terrible translations.

Yokai Realm with Companion should be translated to "Party Mode", and the other way is like "Phantom Mode".

As for the literal translation of what "Yokai Realm" is, it basically just means like "Spirit World" or "Demon Land", its a way of describing the fantasy-Japanese setting that we're exploring that is part Japan but also full of Oni.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

"Your Amazon.com order of "PS4 Nioh - PlayStation 4" has shipped!"

:worship:

Mine hasn't yet and now I'm worried :ohdear:.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i preordered like an idiot i hope its good since i have to wait until wednesday

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Zaphod42 posted:

It just basically means "Mission with companion" versus "summon companion"

They're terrible translations.

Yokai Realm with Companion should be translated to "Party Mode", and the other way is like "Phantom Mode".

As for the literal translation of what "Yokai Realm" is, it basically just means like "Spirit World" or "Demon Land", its a way of describing the fantasy-Japanese setting that we're exploring that is part Japan but also full of Oni.

Thanks for the clarification! I forget what the help text says, but is the vs. Yokai Realm +X weapon mod just a flat damage modifier to anything not human?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

there wolf lmao posted:

Thanks for the clarification! I forget what the help text says, but is the vs. Yokai Realm +X weapon mod just a flat damage modifier to anything not human?

I hadn't seen that as a weapon attribute and that's a solid question. You'd have to check the help text to see what it means by that.

It could mean anything not human, but it could also mean bonus damage when doing co-op or something, I have no clue. Or maybe bonus damage only for certain levels, and maybe not all levels count as yokai realm?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The bonus damage vs yokai realm has got to mean nonhumans, it was in the earliest public alpha before they even fleshed out the different modes.

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.

Snak posted:

I will confirm that that the basic rear end wooden hammer is the poo poo.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
It confused me because it seemed like it could go a number of ways, whether its a mod to your stat change in a Yokai puddle or against Yokai enemies or if it only applies in the true co op mode. Even though this game is a lot more direct than souls games it still has these little puzzles to figure out.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Most of said "puzzles" are just poor translations though.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Yeah the game isn't trying to be obtuse like souls the menu was just translated poorly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
+ Yokai Realm means your resistance to the samina drain when standing in a yokai puddle. Please press the option button and read what things say.