Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Roland Jones posted:

She has good offensive stats, but her weapon skills (which she needs to hit) have no points in them, for the reason your stated, is what I think is meant. She's terrifying physically but she outright refuses to improve her ability to actually use her weapon.

Which makes me wonder where all her points are actually going, come to think of it. Have we seen her use, like, any skills yet?

IIRC she mentions in the LN that she's got better defense stats naked than most knights do in full plate. I think all her skills are the passive, tank-boosting kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I rewatched S1 the other day and honestly, for all of her depravity, Darkness is kinda sweet. She's a good girl trapped inside a naughty girl's brain.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
She just needs to find a cursed sword that hurts it's wielder, then she'll put some skills into it. Hopefully a talking sword who's freaked out by her personality.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
I gotta admit, I will be sorely disappointed if there's not a dramatic "IS SATOU KAZUMA HEREEEEE?!?" in every episode this season.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Verizian posted:

She just needs to find a cursed sword that hurts it's wielder, then she'll put some skills into it. Hopefully a talking sword who's freaked out by her personality.

Chaos would be a good fit

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Verizian posted:

I'd like to see Stormbringer being all weirded out by her.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I rewatched S1 the other day and honestly, for all of her depravity, Darkness is kinda sweet. She's a good girl trapped inside a naughty girl's brain.

she seems to be someone who genuinely wants to protect people who happens to have a giant fetish for getting abused in combat, the weird symbiosis of 'actually probably a decent person who wants to use her abilities to help' and 'also the most psycho pervert in the group' is what makes her so great.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

She has good offensive stats, but her weapon skills (which she needs to hit) have no points in them, for the reason your stated, is what I think is meant. She's terrifying physically but she outright refuses to improve her ability to actually use her weapon.

Which makes me wonder where all her points are actually going, come to think of it. Have we seen her use, like, any skills yet?

it all goes to passive defenses I assume

remember that she survived an explosion which is the strongest spell in the world power-wise, she's pretty much unkillable

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Since it seemed like her stamina was inexhaustible and it forced Kazuma to make her faint herself I guess she has a lot of points in things like hp and endurance bonuses just so she can feel really big hits without passing out from them.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Im pretty sure Darkness has at least one non-passive skill, taunt. Cant remember if she has used it yet though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Beasteh posted:

She doesn't want to beat the crap out of anything though. Where's the fun in that? She wants to experience the humiliation of missing and getting pummelled since she's a weird sadist

I think you mean masochist.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Verizian posted:

This is just about the only thing you could add to this series to make it better.

Iretep posted:

Im pretty sure Darkness has at least one non-passive skill, taunt. Cant remember if she has used it yet though.

Something that makes her get hit more? Is there any doubt she took it?

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Iretep posted:

And I'm pretty sure that the entire party has "Confusion" as a passive skill.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Iretep posted:

The anime skipped Kazuma talking with Darknesses dad in private before Alderps son appeared. Youd get a better impression on him in the LN basically.

I'm a bit disappointed that the anime seems to be actively trying to make Kazuma look not good. Omitting the party swap episode was a cardinal sin against Kazuma's character.

The whole point in the LN's is that Kazuma is *really, unnaturally competent* because he combines various skills while everybody else just goes min/max on a single skill.

When he isn't saddled with his gang of idiots he's drat near invincible. Even *with* this bunch of nitwits, Kazuma is unnaturally effective--they have taken down things which were considered to have been catastrophe-class in this world.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even though kazuma isn't incompetent like the rest of his party, he is still a scumbag

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

even though kazuma isn't incompetent like the rest of his party, he is still a scumbag

It's the Wile E. Coyote principle: the reason we accept how much poo poo he takes is that it's ultimately his own fault because he's a terrible person.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Sandman posted:

It's the Wile E. Coyote principle: the reason we accept how much poo poo he takes is that it's ultimately his own fault because he's a terrible person.

i think he stops just short of genuinely terrible but dude definitely loves bein' garbage

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

i think he stops just short of genuinely terrible but dude definitely loves bein' garbage

The whole cast is in this equilibrium zone where they're decent enough you cheer their success, while scummy enough you laugh at their failures.

The balance is key. Too far one way, their perpetual disaster zone lives would be depressing. Too far in the other direction, and you start rooting against them. Neither works nearly as well for the show we get.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

buzmeg posted:

The whole point in the LN's is that Kazuma is *really, unnaturally competent* because he combines various skills while everybody else just goes min/max on a single skill.

Because he's got what is essentially a 'Factotum' class. Adventurer has access to all skills, and he gets a fat stack of points from intelligence, so he can roll stuff together that other classes would lock out. His extreme luck stat probably applies in some way to all other stat rolls too, so he's got a bonus to everything.

If I were designing this system, taking a class would make one tree of skills take less points of investment, and all other trees take substantially more. Classed characters can take cross-class skills, but need more points for them. Staying unclassed keeps the average point cost of everything down.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 5, 2017

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Everyone in Kazumas party is both incredibly competent and horribly flawed. Kazuma's greatest strength is in pointing his teammates in the right direction so they can actually utilize their own strengths. Aqua, Megumin & Darkness are hopeless adventurers by themselves, but they aren't holding Kazuma back. Just making his life difficult.

That's the real takeaway of the party swap episode.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the party ruins kazuma's life whenever it starts getting stable so he has to constantly struggle. if not for that motivation, kazuma would go back to his loser neet lifestyle in an instant.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

The whole cast is in this equilibrium zone where they're decent enough you cheer their success, while scummy enough you laugh at their failures.

Was talking to a friend who just got into this show because another buddy and I kept talking about it, and I had a hard time putting this sentiment into words, but I think you're on the mark here. They're the Paddy's Pub of adventuring parties, and that's why we love when they succeed and when they fail.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

buzmeg posted:

I'm a bit disappointed that the anime seems to be actively trying to make Kazuma look not good. Omitting the party swap episode was a cardinal sin against Kazuma's character.

When he isn't saddled with his gang of idiots he's drat near invincible. Even *with* this bunch of nitwits, Kazuma is unnaturally effective--they have taken down things which were considered to have been catastrophe-class in this world.

He died to that one ghost thing once though right? Was that just bad luck or?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

He died to that one ghost thing once though right? Was that just bad luck or?

Well that was kinda Darkness's fault

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
basically Kazuma is the only reasonable character build in a party filled with insane weird gimmick characters that are terrible until they end up in a ridiculous situation where literally only their specific character sheet would succeed

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can someone make a GIF out of Kazuma waiving around pantsu and turn him into Tom Brady with a football? I think it would sum up the Superbowl well.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

basically Kazuma is the only reasonable character build in a party filled with insane weird gimmick characters

Kazuma has a gimmick though: He's unclassed and that lets him dip everything, including dark magic which has been instrumental to their successes.

I guess being a gap filler does make him a sensible character to have in the party though. I just don't want to give him that much credit.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Aqua isnt some crazy gimmick. She is stupidly powerful as far as clerics goes. She is just an example on why min maxing clerics shouldnt dump INT even if they never use it in combat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
She also spends her skill points on useless stuff instead of good stuff.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

To be fair they are very good party tricks.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Every party needs a PR person.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She already knows a lot of poo poo that she shouldn't have access to so she doesn't need to spend her points on useful things.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

She also spends her skill points on useless stuff instead of good stuff.

That's because she's capped out all the useful stuff. She's dipping into other stuff since she has nothing else to do with the points.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I feel like Kazuma's a decent guy, though that's more informed by the later novels than what's been shown in the anime so far. He's a horndog, yes, but he used to be a shut-in, he's 16 years old, and he's surrounded by what in-universe are supposed to be beauties. Also he totally does get poo poo on for it so it's easy for me to forgive. But anyways, he really cares about his friends and is a dedicated and clever individual.

It gets easier and easier to forget the further you progress in the story, but Kazuma and co. are literally one of the strongest parties in the country (and world?) they inhabit. They are all total asshats and general idiots, but Kazuma takes charge and Gets poo poo Done. The Demon King Generals they defeat would trash any normal high-level party, but Darkness can tank them and Megumin can... explode them (It's played for laughs but explosion, and Megumin's in particular, is extraordinarily powerful and can trash just about anyone (except Darkness, as mentioned a few posts up)). Also Aqua has brokenly powerful holy magic and a number of miscellaneous talents.

Kazuma himself is actually very competent even on his own, he gets a few solo(-ish) adventures later on and he totally wrecks people. Also he has good business sense which comes up over and over again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All four of them can be mean and a bit cruel, but none of them are malicious people at heart.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Aqua Did Nothing Wrong

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I mean, the story started with Kazuma trying to pull off the Yusuke Urameshi Special. He proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's unselfish enough to die for someone else (he's done it multiple times even).

He's just a wee bit of a prick, is all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

That's because she's capped out all the useful stuff. She's dipping into other stuff since she has nothing else to do with the points.

No she capped out on her stats. But skills wise she can still learn things. She just does stupid things like spending 5 points on Nature's Blessing.

Like there is no doubt a fire Priest Spell but she is too stupid to learn it or use it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

No she capped out on her stats. But skills wise she can still learn things. She just does stupid things like spending 5 points on Nature's Blessing.

Like there is no doubt a fire Priest Spell but she is too stupid to learn it or use it.

I don't think Aqua is "too stupid" to learn a fire spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe some form of shield spell that protects against stomach acids?