Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Adiabatic posted:

My centre is giving way. My right is retreating. Situation excellent. I am attacking.

Basically, just rotate the battlefield by 90 degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

hows everyones febtober?

im so god damned busy right now and i love it

you need a project van.

febtober has been smashing~

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

The pressure plate itself? Usually have to have it sent off, but the tolerances for resurfacing are really thin, its why most people just treat the pressure plate as disposable if its damaged.
Yeah, it's not really damaged, just has a little marring on it, and, well, it's a £500+ clutch kit.

Rhyno posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

I'm trying to watch One Takes but Youtube has attached loving super bowl ads to every single thing and they're bypassing my ad blocker.
Did you get that loving Audi one? :barf:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just do a couple of rev-limiter clutch drops to manually resurface :haw:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, I got fired, so...

Well, poo poo. You okay?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Just do a couple of rev-limiter clutch drops to manually resurface :haw:
That probably will be the approach I take.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

Well, poo poo. You okay?

Yeah, fine so far.

But it's not fun watching the company royally screw itself, especially considering how much work is going to be placed on the colleagues I'm leaving behind.

I sent out my first application yesterday, pretty solid job for my skills, based on the description. I should be able to land ~$80K/year, if I get it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, it's not really damaged, just has a little marring on it, and, well, it's a £500+ clutch kit.

I keep getting the stupid origin of Budweiser one.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I got a free Tim Horton's breakfast sandwich and it is not agreeing with me.

We call that Diefenbaker's Revenge. Except unlike Montezuma's, your gut flora never adapts to it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

I liked the Audi one :unsmith: I kinda wish they'd played up their relationship with Michelle Mouton to appeal to the Equality crowd more.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

I liked the Audi one :unsmith: I kinda wish they'd played up their relationship with Michelle Mouton to appeal to the Equality crowd more.

Michelle Mouton isn't about equality, she is very distinctly better than everyone else.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Michelle Mouton isn't about equality, she is very distinctly better than everyone else.

:boom:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

They should've just gone with Michelle Mouton, and ditched the wage gap nonsense. Michelle Mouton is awesome.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Powershift posted:

ford has a v10 too, and even stuck it to a 6 speed ZF manual, but 95% of gassers would still be the 5.4 right up to 2010 which was barely enough engine for an f-150.

Yeah, but isn't the mod motor V10 every bit as shite as the other mod motors re: exhaust manifold fasteners, exhaust manifold cracking, sparkplug klepto/ejection games, etc, just with oiling issues added because it's got two more cylinders? That's what I've heard, not sure how true it is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

Yeah, but isn't the mod motor V10 every bit as shite as the other mod motors re: exhaust manifold fasteners, exhaust manifold cracking, sparkplug klepto/ejection games, etc, just with oiling issues added because it's got two more cylinders? That's what I've heard, not sure how true it is.

Yeah, 05+ went to a 3 valve and fixed a lot of stuff, and synthetic oils go a long way to keeping them alive, but a lot of cold starts still kills them.

Still, where else are you going to get a V10, RWD, 6 speed stick for 5 grand. it's BASICALLY a lamborghini.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Needs more VW Toureg V10 TDI

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

Needs more VW Toureg V10 TDI

I would legit give my left nut for one of those engines, I have a spare. Even though I know it'd cost me the other one for parts to keep it running.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I would legit give my left nut for one of those engines, I have a spare. Even though I know it'd cost me the other one for parts to keep it running.

At least the Bosch injectors can be rebuilt at home, granted, probably not BALANCED at home, but it'll work fine, just might be a little louder.

And Its Common Rail, so pretty hack friendly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

future roadkill episode spoilers(the guys doing snow donuts in a future roadkill car): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H--hmcp1Me0&t=153s

I've gotta say that's loving awesome

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, fine so far.

But it's not fun watching the company royally screw itself, especially considering how much work is going to be placed on the colleagues I'm leaving behind.

I sent out my first application yesterday, pretty solid job for my skills, based on the description. I should be able to land ~$80K/year, if I get it.

Good luck.

Keep banging out as many applications as you can, even if they are marginally suitable.

It's much better for morale to have something as a possibility as much as possible

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Surely an unmolested 180SX MUST be obtaining unicorn status...?

Calling it now, those are gonna be worth a bomb in 20 years in stock form.

Edit : Just out of interest, who are the main single marquee car hoarders here? Kastein I know is Jeeps, CommieGIR is Audis, I've gone crazy with Subarus.... anyone else?

I've ended up with 7 Mazda RX-s: 5 first-gens and 2 second-gens.
Also, two 70-72 Olds Cutlasses, 1 Ford Crown Vic, and 1 Kia Spectra5.
4 of those cars run, 3 drive. The 4th will move, but only in first gear (Cutlass. 200-4R is buggered.)

Powershift posted:

future roadkill episode spoilers(the guys doing snow donuts in a future roadkill car): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H--hmcp1Me0&t=153s

I've gotta say that's loving awesome

(Relatively) Short Lincoln!

1: what the hell engine is in that Beetle. Looks like a narrow V6.
2: the helicopter has GOT to be SpeedyCop.

Lots of other cool rides in that vid.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Seriouspost for a sec :

You know what I'm feeling the real lack of? Mates who want to at the very least point and laugh as I repair another loving Subaru. I cant complain about life too much, putting everything in perspective I might be broke right now and been having a hard time getting on top of injury and sickness fitnesswise but you know I cant say poo poo is bad. I'm sure curveballs are coming so I'll enjoy it while I can..... but still, 47 and I just dont have much in common with men near my own age. I had my divorce much earlier, I dont have kids, I'm not really career focused and I prefer spending time after work on the bike or swimming rather at the pub or home wrangling children stressing out over mortages and the other billion things a family gives you. I have this absurd freedom where I can just choose to ride 100kms whenever I feel like it, I can play with my cars, I have my cats and stuff.... but I have so little in common with anyone close to my age. I cant BS about families and that side of life (and I have no interest in it) and there's so few on the other side that can or do share my passions in life.

Hell, the men of my age that are reaching divorce and relationship problem time are more interested in hitting the piss or trying to delude themselves in thinking they can bang young secretaries... or try to relive a misspent youth that they are too fat and unfit to really do anymore. I just look at that and I'm just....ugh. No bloody thanks.

I dunno, there's something so genuinely relaxing and carthic about talking poo poo while spannering cars. When I got my own place about 15 years ago there was a group of us that would sit around the VR4 and do a few odd jobs but the main point was always talking poo poo and hanging out. We eventually built a pretty formidible car as an aside too :)

I even have one hell of a project that can do with some spare hands. Or just a few people sitting around pointing and laughing as I gently caress something up. Kinda a pity I'm doing this one on my own, it would be fun to share with a few fellow idiots.

This, totally this. I'm in a similar situation, but a bit backwards. I'm 25, married and have a 6 year old kid to a previous relationship. Most people my age are out partying still or only just settling down. I've been aching for a project but we just don't have the space to have another car. I would love to be able to go to a mates place and tinker and shoot the poo poo, while living vicariously through them. Unfortunately I have really kept or made any friends since high school.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

Good luck.

Keep banging out as many applications as you can, even if they are marginally suitable.

It's much better for morale to have something as a possibility as much as possible

I have about 8 other possible positions that are 100% right up my alley, and probably twice as many that are still good. I'll be banging out applications starting this week.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Well, if anyone wants any part of my 2005 Mazda 6, now's the time to ask. She's going to the scrapheap tomorrow.

New car may have been located too...

Option one, 2007 Versa S (SL?) with power everything, and a manual 6spd, 133,000km, and $4500 after taxes. I test drove it today and discovered that it has what might be the lightest clutch ever, and that I'm a little rusty driving stick but it survived a test drive on the highway with me figuring out the clutch and I'm fairly certain I'm going to buy it. Needs some work to safety but a dealership is selling it as certified (so no repair costs are on me) and they assure me it can be ready for plates and insurance before I have to work on Friday.

Option two, is a loaded 2008 Ford Focus with a 5spd, 150,000km and $5950 before taxes, I didn't test drive it and it's red and also a ford, so I'm fairly certain I'm not going to buy it.

Option three, is a 2008 Sentra with a 6spd, but 180,000km, and $5950 before taxes, base model.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Option two, is a loaded 2008 Ford Focus with a 5spd, 150,000km and $5950 before taxes, I didn't test drive it and it's red and also a ford, so I'm fairly certain I'm not going to buy it.
The Focus has always been a pretty good drive, give it a try at least.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

InitialDave posted:

Not in 2008. That was the dark times.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

The US one at that time was still based off the mark 1 Focus, unlike the rest of the world which got the mark 2.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

beep-beep car is go posted:

Not in 2008. That was the dark times.
*Looks up 2008 US-spec Focus*

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Option one, 2007 Versa S (SL?) with power everything, and a manual 6spd, 133,000km, and $4500 after taxes. I test drove it today and discovered that it has what might be the lightest clutch ever, and that I'm a little rusty driving stick but it survived a test drive on the highway with me figuring out the clutch and I'm fairly certain I'm going to buy it. Needs some work to safety but a dealership is selling it as certified (so no repair costs are on me) and they assure me it can be ready for plates and insurance before I have to work on Friday.

The wife has a 2008 Versa Hatch with similar miles. It is very much A Car, and nothing fancy, but it serves its purpose well. We've only had it for 6 months or so, but here's what I've seen.

As you've noted, the clutch isn't very communicative. I only drive manuals, and I still sometimes gently caress up the 1st gear launch. A couple of other things about it: It gets blown around on windy days on the freeway. Not enough to be scary or anything, but that's definitely a thing. Also, the 6th gear isn't as tall as you'd expect from a 6 speed. You still end up over 3.5k @ 75mph.

That said, the back seats are huge, considering the size of the car. With the seats down, you can carry plenty (maybe not Fit levels, but quite good). They're fun to drive in that slow car cheap and cheerful way too. And as you've noted, they are cheap as hell. We got ours at 90k miles for $3k USD.

Make sure the A/C compressor pulley isn't making any rattling sounds. It's a somewhat common problem with the car, and if it seizes, you have to replace the entire compressor (you can replace the bearing yourself if you have access to a press, but good luck finding one 2 hours from home on a rainy Sunday... don't ask). It'll set you back about $1000 for a shop to do the compressor.

That Focus is fine too, but as people have said, the US spec wasn't nearly as good as the Euro spec at that time. It's probably not worth $1500 more with more KMs. Depends on the condition and maintenance history of the cars obviously.

\/\/\/ Yeah, what he said. We had one, and it drove fine, was reasonably reliable, had fine gas mileage, and parts were cheap. Nothing special, but not terrible.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 6, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The 2008 Focus - aside from being an amalgamation of every terrible four-door commuter sedan sold in the US since the late 90s appearance wise - is a fairly solid car built on a mature platform. Its underpinned by the same platform the Focus marque started on and has a Mazda-licensed four cylinder engine tied to a relatively reliable four-speed slushbox ATX, or if its a manual the MTX-75 5 speed is a very well put together gearbox.

If you don't mind the terrible appearance it shouldn't give you many problems.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So wait, you're saying the Ford Focus has the same 2.3 as my Mazda 6 and the Ford Fusion?

Dear god no, I definitely don't want that car then.

Also, I've driven a Versa before. My dad and I used to commute to Toronto from Kitchener along the 401 every day in a 2005, but it was a base model with an auto. I already know how they are on breezy days.

Also, yeah, I didn't really notice a difference in engine RPM between 5th and 6th while doing 90km/h, but that's fine, most of my driving is at 60 and under.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dare you to get on Craigslist, pick up the nearest sub $1k truck and spend the difference on fuel instead :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fermented Tinal posted:

So wait, you're saying the Ford Focus has the same 2.3 as my Mazda 6 and the Ford Fusion?

Its a 2.0 Duratec, same as the 2.0 MZR used in the Mazda 3, 5, NC Miata, and all of the Volvo "C" cars (anything based on the C1 platform.)

Overall - with proper maintenance - the Duratec I4s are very reliable engines.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Rhyno your hot sauce is delightful! After a few spoonfuls, the heat started to really build up and I was able to get a good handle on the flavors. The vinegar in there is a great add and I like this stuff a lot. Made buffalo sauce with it last night and it was fantastic; my mouth is watering remembering them. The only thing I changed was taking that plastic cap off of the bottle so I can get it on to my food faster. Could I get, like, a huge batch of this stuff to save on shipping, like 32oz of it? I need to keep it on hand!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

cakesmith handyman posted:

Dare you to get on Craigslist, pick up the nearest sub $1k truck and spend the difference on fuel instead :v:

For a sub $1k truck here it will probably need at least $3500 in work to pass a safety.

Hey Geoj, you want anything off my car before I scrap it? I'll charge you the AI special of 1/4th the lowest price you can find for brand new equivalents.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 6, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

Rhyno your hot sauce is delightful! After a few spoonfuls, the heat started to really build up and I was able to get a good handle on the flavors. The vinegar in there is a great add and I like this stuff a lot. Made buffalo sauce with it last night and it was fantastic; my mouth is watering remembering them. The only thing I changed was taking that plastic cap off of the bottle so I can get it on to my food faster. Could I get, like, a huge batch of this stuff to save on shipping, like 32oz of it? I need to keep it on hand!

The cap dabbers are supposed to make the cap seal better but I will not be ordering them in the future. And I guess we could do a large order, there's a new priority box that's like $9 to anywhere in the US.

Also thanks for the kind words!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fermented Tinal posted:

Hey Geoj, you want anything off my car before I scrap it? I'll charge you the AI special of 1/4th the lowest price you can find for brand new equivalents.

Can't think of anything I'd need out of a 6, the donor '03 6 we pulled the engine and a few other choice bits out of for my wife's '06 Fusion just got sent off to the scrapyard mostly intact.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

For a sub $1k truck here it will probably need at least $3500 in work to pass a safety.

Well that's no good, how can I encourage people to make bad decisions if that's what they've got to work with?

Anyway, hope your new car is less of an arse.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

The cap dabbers are supposed to make the cap seal better but I will not be ordering them in the future. And I guess we could do a large order, there's a new priority box that's like $9 to anywhere in the US.

Also thanks for the kind words!
:respek:

Have you considered using shrink-wrap around the top to keep it all together during shipping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

:respek:

Have you considered using shrink-wrap around the top to keep it all together during shipping?

I doubt I'd even need to do that. Looking at the site I get my glassware from they list it as optional. Also future bottles will have heat shrinkwrap on them!

• Locked thread