Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

halo 5 is one of the worst big release games in recent memory. it's up there with mankind divided.

Mankind Divided is one of the best games in recent history, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mymla posted:

Mankind Divided is one of the best games in recent history, though?

look at this post

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didn't play Halo 5 or Mankind Divided, so

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zzulu posted:

I didn't play Halo 5 or Mankind Divided, so

Space Sex: Behind Divided.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, that's basically my problem with Sera, she's well written, but you can't really interact with her views or change her mind. In most cases your best option is to just say "Get the gently caress off my mountain" which seems kind of uncharitable to the writer.

Playing through the game as an Elf Mage basically results in several "STOP BEING YOU!" conversations on her part.

I said it before but Sera would have been a good character if they didn't saddle her with all the monkey cheese in the universe and the world's greasiest face. The "STOP BEING YOU!" conversations actually lead somewhere and it's interesting having characters stuck in their beliefs (I played an elf mage and she ended up dialing it down, anyway; she's actually just afraid you'll become a tyrant and is scared of everything she's become caught up in).

The problem is there's so much unfunny poo poo that it gets lost and she just sucks.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think a big issue with Sera is her voice performance being very stilted. She sounds like a posh British person trying to do a sort of stereotypical working class accent and sounding stiff and overly precise while she's saying slang words.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, every time she says, "right?" is a good example. An actual speaker of the accent she's using wouldn't pause, take a breath, and say "right?" with a clear separation. They would meld it into the end of the sentence, like certain American accents might do "<main sentence>,yknowwhmsayin?".

She has a lot of relatively dynamic slangy dialogue that's being delivered super stiffly and it makes her feel sort of unnatural when she talks. Maybe something a non-British person wouldn't consciously notice but I think it contributes to the issues with her.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Android Blues posted:

Like, every time she says, "right?" is a good example. An actual speaker of the accent she's using wouldn't pause, take a breath, and say "right?" with a clear separation. They would meld it into the end of the sentence, like certain American accents might do "<main sentence>,yknowwhmsayin?".

Not if they're using it to counterpoint rather than a spooling term ('innit', 'y'know').

If it's used to stress agreement with the listener (Right?, Okay?) then it's merely a nudge. I've not noticed a problem with Sera other than her character is a flat 'working class hero' that flip-flops between being light hearted and psychotically focussed on righting a perceived wrong.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Android Blues posted:

She has a lot of relatively dynamic slangy dialogue that's being delivered super stiffly and it makes her feel sort of unnatural when she talks. Maybe something a non-British person wouldn't consciously notice but I think it contributes to the issues with her.

Yeah but she's not British (And anyways she was raised by a noblewoman).

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hav posted:

Not if they're using it to counterpoint rather than a spooling term ('innit', 'y'know').

If it's used to stress agreement with the listener (Right?, Okay?) then it's merely a nudge. I've not noticed a problem with Sera other than her character is a flat 'working class hero' that flip-flops between being light hearted and psychotically focussed on righting a perceived wrong.

Right, which isn't how Sera uses it usually, it's more like "<statement of my opinion>, right?". In that case you definitely wouldn't pause and speak it as a separate clause, but she does exactly that pretty much every time. She's using it as a pure intensifier, but saying it like someone seeking agreement or asking a genuine question. If anything I'd guess the direction is wrong.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also there's just too much enunciation all over the place. Listening to some clips, there's a segment where she says "You on about anything else?" and pronounces it with full proper elecution. A speaker actually using that slang would have a pronunciation closer to, "y'on about anythin' else?".

Basically, listening to Sera as someone who's from where her accent is supposed to be from is like listening to a starched collar Young Republican try to impersonate a Jamaican surfboard dealer. It's painful.

I like the character, mind you. She has her flaws but I'm not super down on her. I just think the VA work is easily the weakest of any of the companions and has a lot of issues with delivery.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can tell Sera's accent isn't authentically English because she's way less insufferable than an actual English person.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well since she was raised by a noblewoman and now she's pretending like she's common as muck, her accent being awkward actually works well for her character. Plenty of real posh people who do that, and yes they are annoying.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

marktheando posted:

Well since she was raised by a noblewoman and now she's pretending like she's common as muck, her accent being awkward actually works well for her character. Plenty of real posh people who do that, and yes they are annoying.

That's true I guess. It still grates for me but it makes more sense when viewed through that part of the character.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

You can tell Sera's accent isn't authentically English because she's way less insufferable than an actual English person.

why are you like this?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Moola posted:

why are you like this?

They're English.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I for one was really annoyed whenever femshep's canadian accent shifted to an Alabama twang (I actually didn't hate this at all i liked it)

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Reclaimer posted:

I for one was really annoyed whenever femshep's canadian accent shifted to an Alabama twang (I actually didn't hate this at all i liked it)

to be fair, that's a thing that happens in Alberta

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I enjoyed the part where I never had to hear femsheps annoying voice.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mark Meer does the whoring out for bad discounts ads part a lot better. :v:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

PureRok posted:

I enjoyed the part where I never had to hear femsheps annoying voice.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Robyn Addison was born in Derbyshire and has a perfectly normal Midlands accent, though?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lt. Danger posted:

Robyn Addison was born in Derbyshire and has a perfectly normal Midlands accent, though?

Well, mostly. She was indeed born in Derbyshire, but her accent now is not standard Derbyshire and is rather posher, probably as a result of having lived in the upper crustier parts of the south. She is a good actor though and the accent was probably well within her capabilities, she does a perfectly good variety of accents in other roles. That's why I would guess Sera's stilted pronunciations are more likely to be a direction issue.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

You're definitely an expert about being insufferable.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Reclaimer posted:

Yeah but she's not British (And anyways she was raised by a noblewoman).

Yeah but British accents are like the most coded accents in the world because it's a hellscape, she's obviously meant to evoke a cheeky cockney from Fagin's gang.

I did take it as like Lily Allen, a posh person putting on a working class voice, but that's giving Bioware a ton of credit they probably don't deserve.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Romancing Sera as an elf mage was fun.
I kinda like how she gives you an ultimatum of either giving up your religion or your relationship, because that's exactly the sort of lovely thing she'd do. I really don't like how the game doesn't let you call her out on her bullshit after breaking up with her.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Just once I'd like to see one of these AAA fantasy games have American accents. Dwarves sound like rednecks or something. Starcraft will always have a special place in my heart not just as a great RTS but also as the first game where I heard people who sound like me.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Serf posted:

Just once I'd like to see one of these AAA fantasy games have American accents. Dwarves sound like rednecks or something. Starcraft will always have a special place in my heart not just as a great RTS but also as the first game where I heard people who sound like me.

Just once? There are loads of American accents in Dragon Age, and also the Witcher. And that's bad, it always fucks with my suspension of disbelief to hear nasal yank accents in a medieval setting.

Also complaining about underrepresentation of American accents in video games is weird. Try having literally any other accent on the planet and see how many people sound like you.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Dragon Age accents are all over the place anyway, the only really consistent thing is the horrendous French ones in Orlais

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Looking forward to roleplaying as a spoiled failson

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I love how many actors with natural accents get accused of not having "authentic" accents because the listener is always the expert. Moreover, why does it matter if a particular accent doesn't map perfectly to a particular region of England when the character grew up in a magical elfworld? Yeah, I know, "coding" or whatever, but some of you guys are just outrageously picky about how a character sounds when they aren't, in reality, even speaking English! Them having an accent you recognize is a limitation of the medium as much as anything.

Perhaps if we donate enough money to the Pillars of Eternity 2 fund, they'll record all the voice overs in Aedyran and Glanfathan conlangs so you can have an "authentic" experience?

To bring this back to Mass Effect, Jaal is voiced by Nyasha Hatendi, so I guess Angarans are all from Zimbabwe and we should import any and all of that cultural baggage to their every word. Perhaps we'll depose their cartoonish High Elder and save them from rampant inflation while we're on their homeworld?

steakmancer posted:

Looking forward to roleplaying as a spoiled failson

At last, I can truly be myself in a video game.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 6, 2017

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Serf posted:

gotta get elves with that cajun accent. swamp elves.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

gotta get elves with that cajun accent. swamp elves.

Gnomes look like they should have New Jersey accents. Halflings are obviously Fargo-style midwesterners. Goblins that sound like Bostonians.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What accent would bog standard humans have in such a place?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

I love how many actors with natural accents get accused of not having "authentic" accents because the listener is always the expert. Moreover, why does it matter if a particular accent doesn't map perfectly to a particular region of England when the character grew up in a magical elfworld? Yeah, I know, "coding" or whatever, but some of you guys are just outrageously picky about how a character sounds when they aren't, in reality, even speaking English! Them having an accent you recognize is a limitation of the medium as much as anything.

Perhaps if we donate enough money to the Pillars of Eternity 2 fund, they'll record all the voice overs in Aedyran and Glanfathan conlangs so you can have an "authentic" experience?

To bring this back to Mass Effect, Jaal is voiced by Nyasha Hatendi, so I guess Angarans are all from Zimbabwe and we should import any and all of that cultural baggage to their every word. Perhaps we'll depose their cartoonish Prime Minister and save them from rampant inflation while we're on their homeworld?

I think this is a bit of an overreaction. I'd say there is actually some social relevance given the classism in British acting, but apart from that, it sounds goofy if someone is speaking a real accent but just speaking it like, wrong, and that's distinct from them speaking a wacky fantasy accent (that no-one else in the Dragon Age setting speaks). I'm sure everyone here has heard someone doing a poor impression of their own natural accent and found it hilarious/unbearable.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Well if they're bog people they can have Scottish accents.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Baltimore.

Kilano
Feb 25, 2006
the only thing stopping me from buying this is the multiplayer p2p

tell me why the multiplayer isn't going to suddenly lag out when someone's mom resets the router because the internet is "going slow"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Serf posted:

Baltimore.

SHEPARD: The gently caress did I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thanks. i just canceled my preorder. i was already on the fence but yeah that looked like loving poo poo and the voice acting was crap. i'll just buy sniper elite 4 for this month.

RBA Starblade posted:

I said it before but Sera would have been a good character if they didn't saddle her with all the monkey cheese in the universe and the world's greasiest face. The "STOP BEING YOU!" conversations actually lead somewhere and it's interesting having characters stuck in their beliefs (I played an elf mage and she ended up dialing it down, anyway; she's actually just afraid you'll become a tyrant and is scared of everything she's become caught up in).

The problem is there's so much unfunny poo poo that it gets lost and she just sucks.

this. if they had cut all the stupid monkey cheese whedon poo poo. she would have been a much better character. cheesy whedon writing has become a crutch of bioware of late espcialy in dragon age. its sad.