Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Presumably the Ryoma mission, which was pretty funny when Abel was my leader.

Ah yes I'll put Abel in the lead then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

cheetah7071 posted:

It's effective against red/blue/green manaketes. That's what the little fire symbol inside the colors means

Oh, I see now. But my point still stands, and blue's only really good heroes seem to be Robin and to a lesser extent Cordelia? My Luci's been double striking blue guys to death so I haven't exactly been paying attention, she can only lose to like Effie level blues

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

May deter attackers who are Red heavy? Though I'm not sure how that would affect everything because who knows what defense points even do.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nephzinho posted:

May deter attackers who are Red heavy? Though I'm not sure how that would affect everything because who knows what defense points even do.

They get you feathers.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I double checked the numbers to see if my observations matched and yeah Luci's gonna beat the relevant non-knight blues in combat, 20% or no. She crushes Cordelia if she initiates rather than being initiated on. And if u let Cordelia attack your Luci I don't even know

Luci is Mary Sue, her Atk and Spd are insane

e: Incidentally that's why I don't like boob mom. She does nothing against blue knights, she just can't penetrate their defense. Anyone can kill blue squishes. Camilla does not back Luci up well at all and I need to change my roster.

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016
I probably shouldn't have pulled again, my current team has been clearing maps fine, but hey I'm only really saving for Jugdral banners with unspecific release dates.

And now, with 5* Marth, Yuri Lowenthal can serenade me twice as much! Altean and Pheraen flavors!

Senerio posted:

because Ryoma continues to be as big a jerk as he was in his game.

This is a crime against Ninos everywhere! Revenge!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ShinyDais posted:

I probably shouldn't have pulled again, my current team has been clearing maps fine, but hey I'm only really saving for Jugdral banners with unspecific release dates.

And now, with 5* Marth, Yuri Lowenthal can serenade me twice as much! Altean and Pheraen flavors!

This is a crime against Ninos everywhere! Revenge!

I can't imagine Judgral is coming in under a year. Gaiden, Tellius, Sacred Stones, and Awakening/Fates kids are likely all first.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel like this game is going to get very easy very quickly once I hit max level, not because of numbers, but because sacrificing units for trades no longer matters since the only thing stopping me from doing it now is the lost EXP. I'll also be leveling alternate teams but you can bet your sweet bippy I'll only be using level 40s for events/PvP once I get there.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

As far as missing/future characters go, I know Orochi once came something like dead last in a character popularity poll, but I appreciate her ability to shoot magic rats at people, and I would like to shoot some magic rats in this game too.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Part of me feels like you should just have a dancer with Lucina and have her go twice and murder two people at the start of every match

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
You can bet your bottom dollar that there'll be Gaiden characters coming in May to cross-promote with Echoes. My guess is that Tellius characters are probably coming next, since Ike won the poll on the male side. I assume the laguz characters will function like manaketes, so hopefully they can use that to make the game less red-heavy than it is right now.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You could probably make two or three entire gachas just out of notable omissions from the games that are already in

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

ZenVulgarity posted:

Part of me feels like you should just have a dancer with Lucina and have her go twice and murder two people at the start of every match

I was thinking about that but it's one of many viable strategies. The general strategy for me is to use my first turn positioning, let them move closer, and alpha them on my second turn and kill at least two, making the fight a 4v2 immediately. Of course terrain messes with this a bit and sometimes they don't come to you so you have to bait em out. That's a large part of why Hector's so friggin' good. Hector's a problem for Luci, even when she has type advantage and cuts his def in half. He's just a monster.

I think a good generic, non-gimmick team is like, two ranged guys, a tank, and whatever. Maybe a swordsman, maybe a support. But personally, at this early stage of the metagame, I'd always want Takumi and Robin as those two guys. And probably Hector for the tank. And probably Ryoma for a red, but Luci's fine. Lyn... not so much.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

cheetah7071 posted:

You could probably make two or three entire gachas just out of notable omissions from the games that are already in

And there's no way we aren't getting variations like Fighter Gaius or whatever.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Phyresis posted:

I was thinking about that but it's one of many viable strategies. The general strategy for me is to use my first turn positioning, let them move closer, and alpha them on my second turn and kill at least two, making the fight a 4v2 immediately. Of course terrain messes with this a bit and sometimes they don't come to you so you have to bait em out. That's a large part of why Hector's so friggin' good. Hector's a problem for Luci, even when she has type advantage and cuts his def in half. He's just a monster.

I think a good generic, non-gimmick team is like, two ranged guys, a tank, and whatever. Maybe a swordsman, maybe a support. But personally, at this early stage of the metagame, I'd always want Takumi and Robin as those two guys. And probably Hector for the tank. And probably Ryoma for a red, but Luci's fine. Lyn... not so much.

Are there any def lowering moves that aren't ults like Luna

Defense is annoying as f

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ZenVulgarity posted:

Defense is annoying as f

mages

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

ZenVulgarity posted:

Defense is annoying as f

There are characters who possess weapons that are "effective" against armored units. I have no experience with them so I dunno if their Atk plus that is enough to overcome the knights' ridic defenses and also their skills were very unimpressive. The problem is there's like, one good mage and a couple of ok ones. Magic is supposed to counter this poo poo and Resist is supposed to matter but it's like the rock-scissors-paper is incomplete with this roster or some poo poo

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I don't know if this has been posted here, but if you have a rooted phone you can do a really fast reroll. After your first failed attempt at summoning, just navigate to: 'data/data/.com.nintendo.zaba/shared_prefs' in a file browser and delete 'deviceAccount:.xml'. When you reopen the app, everything will be reset, except you won't have to download anything.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Phyresis posted:

There are characters who possess weapons that are "effective" against armored units. I have no experience with them so I dunno if their Atk plus that is enough to overcome the knights' ridic defenses and also their skills were very unimpressive. The problem is there's like, one good mage and a couple of ok ones. Magic is supposed to counter this poo poo and Resist is supposed to matter but it's like the rock-scissors-paper is incomplete with this roster or some poo poo

Oboro has been good to me. She can usually wreck red and blue armors and trade favorably with green armors.

e: Oboro also has seal defense and threaten res. She's pretty good at cracking open tanks

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 6, 2017

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

I can't imagine Judgral is coming in under a year. Gaiden, Tellius, Sacred Stones, and Awakening/Fates kids are likely all first.

cheetah7071 posted:

Right, exactly that. I mean, if I were to make a list of FE characters I'd be tempted by it would be enormous and span pretty much every game from 4 to 10 (I already got most people from Awakening and Fates that interested me).

But having a specific and probably distant banner to aim for should help me be reserved with banners in the mean time.

Shuriken/knife people. 5* Jakob is my man, my ace. -7 Def/Res and he eats a lot of counters. Most shuriken/knife people should work though.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

cheetah7071 posted:

Oboro has been good to me. She can usually wreck red and blue armors and trade favorably with green armors.

I think in general we are not exploring the mages enough and dismissing many out of hand. The problem is that Stats Are What Matter and we don't have like a good compilation of level 40 5* stats for everyone. I'm already mulling over a team that is more responsive to this metagame. But multiple Takumis is always going to be a nightmare. It's a shame that flyers are almost hated out of the meta.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Pull from Robin banner to get my first Robin or pull from Takumi banner to get more Takumis????

The Whale's Dilemma

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Are there any real heavy hitters that get Vantage? I drew a 4* Lon'qu who has it but I'd put his damage output somewhere around Abel - decidedly average. That might change as he grows but I haven't been wowed by him at level 20 yet.

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

Phyresis posted:

I think in general we are not exploring the mages enough and dismissing many out of hand. The problem is that Stats Are What Matter and we don't have like a good compilation of level 40 5* stats for everyone. I'm already mulling over a team that is more responsive to this metagame. But multiple Takumis is always going to be a nightmare. It's a shame that flyers are almost hated out of the meta.

Yeah, I'm really eager to see maxed out stats too. The AI skips around rarity ranks and cheats in extra skills (Galeforce Abel anyone?) and such so it's really hard to know exactly how each unit is supposed to function. And then there's the variance in max stats, sheesh.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Anyone else use Azura much? She has been amazing for doing the story missions along with Leo. Being able to give any unit a second move and attack seems crazy powerful, but not sure if I'm missing something meta related that will make her less viable in Arena missions once she is max level.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

https://discord.gg/48F4fnM

first i came with the macro, now i come with a discord

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
hey guy offering free accounts with 5* chars where'd you go

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So any idea when we are going to get a fresh banner?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

e: Oboro also has seal defense and threaten res. She's pretty good at cracking open tanks

In addition to those skills, Oboro is also carrying a Heavy Lance - she's possibly the best non-mage currently out for cracking open armors irrespective of color. My main issues with her are her(at least for me) relatively low HP and lowish speed. It's good enough to normally double armors, but I'm starting to run into issues with her getting doubled by other stuff - and while her defenses are okay, combined with that low HP and it causes issues.

Phyresis posted:

The problem with mages is that they're rare enough that not everyone is even getting them. Like, here's my current list:

5*: Takumi (Colorless), Lucina (Red), Lucina (Red), Azura (Blue)
4*: Stahl (Red), Oboro (Blue), Effie (Blue), Catria (Blue), Raven (Green), Fae (Green), Cecilia (Green), Clarine (Colorless)
3*: Hinata (Red), Draug (Red), Eliwood (Red), Stahl (Red), Palla (Red), Raigh (Red), Raigh (Red), Henry (Red), Sully (Blue), Barst (Green), Frederick (Green), Frederick (Green), Gunther (Green), Cherche (Green), Nino (Green), Nils (Colorless), Saizo (Colorless), Clarine (Colorless), Serra (Colorless)
2*: Alphones (Red), Hana (Red), Raigh (Red), Sophia (Red), Sharena (Blue), Donnel (Blue), Subaki (Blue), Anna (Green), Virion (Colorless), Virion (Colorless), Matthew (Colorless)
1*: Hana (Red), Donnel (Blue), Subaki (Blue), Virion (Colorless)

I've highlighted every single character I have that hits resistance. It comes down to 5 Red mages (3 of which are Raigh), with none above 3*, effectively 3 Green mages, with two at 4*, and absolutely 0 Blue mages. This is AFTER dumping 40 orbs yesterday on three draws desperately hunting for one - nope, first was an utter poo poo quadruple red draw with a single green, and none of the others turned up either a 5* or any useful mages of any color.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hunt11 posted:

So any idea when we are going to get a fresh banner?

~2 weeks I think.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Anyone else use Azura much? She has been amazing for doing the story missions along with Leo. Being able to give any unit a second move and attack seems crazy powerful, but not sure if I'm missing something meta related that will make her less viable in Arena missions once she is max level.

People are just really undervaluing dancers, news at 11.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I guess it seems like feathers are gonna be the main gate going forward but ya'lls gonna be real sad when my 3* Barst gets buffed into a beast and ya'll feathered the fuckers.

you will probably have so many 4 star characters that it won't make sense to level up or evolve most 3 star and below characters unless they're really good and you've had very bad luck

you are probably going to want to save feathers for characters you can't get from the machine, which I expect will be a thing eventually, if it's not already. Is it possible to get higher star versions of the starter characters off the machine? I haven't seen any in 5 or 6 pulls and I feel like those characters have got to be good at high level.

edit: yeah, Anna can teleport around the map and gets vantage and astra, in addition to being a green character with relatively high defense, if you're going to spend feathers on a low star character...

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 6, 2017

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

I feel like this game is going to get very easy very quickly once I hit max level, not because of numbers, but because sacrificing units for trades no longer matters since the only thing stopping me from doing it now is the lost EXP. I'll also be leveling alternate teams but you can bet your sweet bippy I'll only be using level 40s for events/PvP once I get there.

Problem is, you score less points in a PvP round if a character dies, which is what the point range refers to. Trading is still important to win matches of course, but you shouldn't be using it carelessly

This is one of the big reasons Hector and Takumi are so oppressive in PvP, because you are often forced to trade a character to deal with them and in turn win fewer points

e:

Mirthless posted:

Is it possible to get higher star versions of the starter characters off the machine? I haven't seen any in 5 or 6 pulls and I feel like those characters have got to be good at high level.

By all accounts Anna and Sharena have top tier stat totals at max level 5*, plus the monthly quests seem to be geared towards requiring story characters to be brought along (Alphonse :smith:) so they might be worthwhile investments. Judging by that image Anna seems like a better axe user than Camilla

Thinking fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 6, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I actually didn't know that having units die lowered your PvP score, thanks. Like I said I'd been keeping everyone alive when possible since I'm still getting exp, but it's good to know there's an incentive at level cap too. And now that I think about it the daily special dungeon has "4 units alive" as a win condition so I imagine that'll hold true for future events.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Mirthless posted:

you will probably have so many 4 star characters that it won't make sense to level up or evolve most 3 star and below characters unless they're really good and you've had very bad luck

you are probably going to want to save feathers for characters you can't get from the machine, which I expect will be a thing eventually, if it's not already. Is it possible to get higher star versions of the starter characters off the machine? I haven't seen any in 5 or 6 pulls and I feel like those characters have got to be good at high level.

edit: yeah, Anna can teleport around the map and gets vantage and astra, in addition to being a green character with relatively high defense, if you're going to spend feathers on a low star character...

You can't pull them on the gacha, and you can't trade them in for feathers. All of them (except maybe the prince guy) get some pretty good abilities at 5* too.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

cpaf posted:

Problem is, you score less points in a PvP round if a character dies, which is what the point range refers to. Trading is still important to win matches of course, but you shouldn't be using it carelessly

This is one of the big reasons Hector and Takumi are so oppressive in PvP, because you are often forced to trade a character to deal with them and in turn win fewer points

e:

By all accounts Anna and Sharena have top tier stat totals at max level 5*, plus the monthly quests seem to be geared towards requiring story characters to be brought along (Alphonse :smith:) so they might be worthwhile investments. Judging by that image Anna seems like a better axe user than Camilla

Eopia posted:

You can't pull them on the gacha, and you can't trade them in for feathers. All of them (except maybe the prince guy) get some pretty good abilities at 5* too.

Yeah, wow @_@

Little disappointed to see Anna's defense is so low, but with ATK that high she should be able to completely paste everything that isn't red with vantage and she can just teleport away from red attackers. I know who I'm spending my feathers on first.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

ShinyDais posted:

Eliwood should at least safely fill a niche (anti-Axe and sacrificial decoy) at 4*. If Gwendy's stats hold up at 4* she's probably fine, but Subaki looks like he might be an acceptable replacement since he counters Swords pretty well and Swap lets you do some position shenanigans. Cherche, again, at least fills a niche. You could probably replace Cherche with Raigh or Sohpia if you find yourself really wanting a mage, but color coverage is good too. But yeah, get rid of Wrys. Seconding replacing him with Setsuna so you at least have some range.

It's far from hopeless, but if you can't pull together a good Arena team and rack up feathers for 4->5* promotions you're going to have to depend on your luck to turn around on future pulls. Keep rerolling an option, especially if you don't like your characters.

Hinoka is really good! I'm not sure I'd want two of her at once, though, but she is your only 5* at the moment. Swap Raigh for that 4* Gordin, consider swapping one of those Hinoka for a shuriken dude, and consider doing another 5-pull if you aren't heavily hoarding orbs.

Gordin's stats are very lackluster atm, and I'm just trying to level units so I can mash them together. But thanks, I'll try out one of my rogues. Probably Gaius, since his skills look useful.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Phyresis posted:

Falchion is Eff red/blue/green. In the 30s-40 Lyn's attack value peters out and she is unable to damage relevant targets. Heroes that can kill knights can generally kill squishies too, but the inverse is not necessarily true. Camilla just sucks and dies to archers.

e: for dragons, I guess

As noted, it's effective against dragons regardless of color, but doesn't grant any bonuses against red or blue non-dragon units and is in fact penalized 20% against blue units.

Lucina is pretty much bottom of the barrel for Resistance at level 40 among high tier units (Chrom is 2 lower and Takumi is 1 lower, on average). Lyn has 10 more Resistance than Lucina on average at level 40. She also has slightly more Defense and Speed. She pays for that with HP and Atk (6 each), but there's a catch there because once Lyn is below 50% HP she gets in two attacks at +7 Atk (putting her above Lucina) before allowing the enemy to counter (whereas Lucina always allows counters).

Like I said, they each have their benefits over the other. Personally, I'll take the character who doesn't just die to any mage whatsoever.

Phyresis posted:

Oh, I see now. But my point still stands, and blue's only really good heroes seem to be Robin and to a lesser extent Cordelia? My Luci's been double striking blue guys to death so I haven't exactly been paying attention, she can only lose to like Effie level blues

Other good blues: Abel, Linde, Nowi, Catria, Female Corrin, and Azura. Lucina will beat Nowi and Corrin thanks to the Falchion, but is utterly trashed by Linde, Robin, or Abel. Lyn is also trashed by Abel but can probably survive at least one round of combat with Linde or Robin.

Phyresis posted:

I double checked the numbers to see if my observations matched and yeah Luci's gonna beat the relevant non-knight blues in combat, 20% or no. She crushes Cordelia if she initiates rather than being initiated on. And if u let Cordelia attack your Luci I don't even know

Luci is Mary Sue, her Atk and Spd are insane

e: Incidentally that's why I don't like boob mom. She does nothing against blue knights, she just can't penetrate their defense. Anyone can kill blue squishes. Camilla does not back Luci up well at all and I need to change my roster.

If Lucina beats the relevant blue non-knights, then so does Lyn, especially if Lyn is dinged from a prior engagement and thus is both a point faster and a point stronger than Lucina. Camilla's role isn't to be the vanguard. She's an assassin. She trumps any non-red, non-Takumi ranged character and shits all over mages because her Resistance is absurd.

EDIT: Source for my stats talk.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I don't know about you, but now that I'm no longer playing easy mode (Normal and Hard story), Lyn is having a lot of trouble. Her <50% abilities don't really come into play because if you don't massacre things with your first shot, you usually don't get a second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ChronoReverse posted:

I don't know about you, but now that I'm no longer playing easy mode (Normal and Hard story), Lyn is having a lot of trouble. Her <50% abilities don't really come into play because if you don't massacre things with your first shot, you usually don't get a second one.

My Lyn is level 37 and I still get lots of use out of both Sol Katti and Desperate Attack. It's all in knowing what to attack and what to bait with her, and in supporting her properly so she doesn't get killed on the enemy turn after being wounded.

EDIT: I also have a level 36 Lucina, so I'm not making theoretical comparisons here. Lyn is just better for my preferences and playstyle.