Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Innocent blue (10AE) is the best colour on the Miata :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Wibla posted:

Innocent blue (10AE) is the best colour on the Miata :colbert:

I'm leaning that direction too - but the interior was too much.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Goober Peas posted:

I'm leaning that direction too - but the interior was too much.

Yeah... The two tone seats and the blue carpet etc is bothering me a bit. But the seats will be swapped later this year, so meh.

It's impressive how bad the seats are for spirited driving :haw:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Wibla posted:

Yeah... The two tone seats and the blue carpet etc is bothering me a bit. But the seats will be swapped later this year, so meh.

It's impressive how bad the seats are for spirited driving :haw:

Swap them for 01-05 seats. And swap in the 01-05 console for usable cup holders.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

They're not super easy to find here in Norway and this will (mostly) be a track car, so I'm looking for something from a third party atm. Cobra or Sparco, just not sure how much of a pain in the rear end it is to get them fitted in the car. Or that I'll fit :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know where the trunk open switch (not the release lever) is in an NB? I want to try to measure the battery draw current but the lights turn on when I open the trunk :downs:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Shai-Hulud posted:

It sucks that the MX-5 is not available in more colors. The only colors you can get is red and "slightly blue. The rest is variations of white, grey and black. Not saying that it doesn't look great in white grey or black but its a fun car, give me some fun colors Mazda!

Agreed. It's the same deal with the GTI - greyscale + red and dark blue. Mazda's still a small company and they've been putting a lot of time into getting the paint colors they have out there right (see version two of Soul Red, Ceramic Metallic and Machine Grey.) The Miata hasn't been offered in that many bright colors but the lines of the ND would be great with a yellow or orange.

Goober Peas posted:

PRHT was just a ballcap

RF is a hair transplant

:laffo:

The RF is gorgeous you philistine.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So I had a coolant leak in my 94m and my engine was steaming pretty bad from coolant shooting out onto it. Got it back home, it appears to be this hose labeled "to heater":

So I think what I need is just to buy this and pop it in in the broken hoses' place? http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/hose-heater/dayco-hose-heater-/240788_404555_0

are there specific clamps that go with this?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Your CAS is leaky, so fix that, too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Phone posted:

Your CAS is leaky, so fix that, too.

Yep. Those hoses don't just go bad unless they're getting a golden shower of hot head oil 24/7.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Yes I have been reading some things that seem to indicate that. I just need to replace the O-ring or maybe more than that?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The O ring.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The 10AE interior is awesome you guys are crazy

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Does anyone know where the trunk open switch (not the release lever) is in an NB? I want to try to measure the battery draw current but the lights turn on when I open the trunk :downs:

It's a contact switch on the latch. You need to unbolt the latch to get to it. You could also just trip the latch closed while the trunk is open.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Agreed. It's the same deal with the GTI - greyscale + red and dark blue. Mazda's still a small company and they've been putting a lot of time into getting the paint colors they have out there right (see version two of Soul Red, Ceramic Metallic and Machine Grey.) The Miata hasn't been offered in that many bright colors but the lines of the ND would be great with a yellow or orange.

More colors would be great but I'm just happy that the colors they do have are killer. To me, Soul Red and Ceramic Metallic are possibly the best red and white you can get from any manufacturer. The GTI has the double whammy of limited colors plus most of them looking awful.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Machine Grey and Deep Crystal Blue are probably the best dark grey and dark blue out there, too. I just want something highlighter-colored on the MX5.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Nodoze posted:

The 10AE interior is awesome you guys are crazy

I had one. I disagree, simply because none of the blue bits were the same blue.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Elysium when you go to replace that hose use a razor and slice the hose parallel to itself along the heater core pipe after you've removed the clamp. Then peel and twist off gently. Do not use pliers to try and grab it you will likely smash the pipe and have to do a heater core replacement next.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So in total:

1) Mark CAS position
2) Remove CAS
3) Replace CAS O-ring
4) Slice bad hose and carefully remove
5) Lube new hose and put in place, clamp down
6) Replace other heater hose as well because why not?
7) Replace CAS in marked position and tighten
8) Profit?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

More or less. Getting the CAS back in place is a pain in the rear end if you move it at all. Use a dental mirror if that happens, it will take forever to line up.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
You can also just take off the valve cover to make it trivial to line up the CAS.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
It's not that hard, guys. Mark the position, pull the CAS, don't gently caress with it. change the o-ring. Replace the heater hose. reassemble. Pulling the valve cover really isn't necessary.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone now what this plug in the front right of the engine compartment is for?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I think I might be dealing with faulty heater hoses too... or something else fishy.

Backstory: RHD 99 10AE mx5 (uk car originally), about 130k miles on the counter. Destiny: track toy.

Issue: when idling/driving under low load/rpm conditions, the heater doesn't blow very hot. If "beaten on" abit up some hills etc, the air temp will increase by a fair bit. During all this, the temperature needle will not budge from the center.

The car heats up reasonably fast compared to the old 1.8 BP in an old 323 BG I had, and it doesn't seem like it's overheating either. There's some slight misfire/hesitation around 2500-3500 rpm when on partial throttle without much load, probably indicating old spark plug leads. I haven't noticed any water usage or excessive white/blue smoke.

I guess it could be failing heater hoses, or it could be issues with water circulation from a failing water pump or something being seriously wrong (tho I'm at a loss at what that could be).

Most of the service work has been documented fairly well (big folder of paperwork came with the car), so I'll have to check if the water pump has been changed at any point...

</ramble> Any ideas?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

I am curious as well. My 99 has them, with nothing plugged in. Maybe fog lights?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

eddyc49 posted:

It's a contact switch on the latch. You need to unbolt the latch to get to it. You could also just trip the latch closed while the trunk is open.

Thanks, sticking a screwdriver in there to trip it did the trick :)

I didn't manage to measure current with my multimeter (unless it's exactly 0) but I just figured out what probably caused the issue in the first place: the HVAC fan stays on even when the key is removed now :wtc:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

TrueChaos posted:

I am curious as well. My 99 has them, with nothing plugged in. Maybe fog lights?

It's a power lead for a timing light.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Wibla posted:

I think I might be dealing with faulty heater hoses too... or something else fishy.
</ramble> Any ideas?
Thermostat.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

destructo posted:

Thermostat.

Probably. When your heater hoses fail, you will know. Check your CAS (back of the cylinder head) for leaks every now and then. That leak will drop oil onto the hoses, basically dissolve the rubber, and then blow at the worst possible time. (Top speed run on the Autobahn, for me)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

So the temp gauge is basically useless then :v:

Swapping the thermostat and flushing the cooling system is the first on my list, along with oil change on engine, transmission and probably the diff as well.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Wibla posted:

So the temp gauge is basically useless then :v:

It pretty much only has 3 readings, you've got "too cold" "anywhere between slightly too cold and slightly too hot" and "oh god oh god oh god :gonk:"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The middle of the gauge, "normal", has a range of 180-230F or something. If you ever see the gauge move, you've been boiling.

My friend did a write up forever ago about how to make the gauge linear; it's a handful of resistors that you solder onto the leads.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'll have to look into that. I need to open the cluster anyways I guess, to change the plate from mph to kmh...

Is there any easy way to get live data out of a pre-OBD2 ECUs? (i know, it's a long shot)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Easier to install a real water temp gauge.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Larrymer posted:

That's too easy.

Re: the mph/kmh thing, I had a spirited drive on a mountain road where I didn't really look at the speedo much, just followed the road and drove at a comfortable speed. Looked at the speedo, thinking "oh, I'm just 10-15 over.. No wait. poo poo". Glad there were no cops around... :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Larrymer posted:

Nah. There are two senders on the back of the head, an actual real sensor and then a pain in rear end little piece of poo poo 1 wire thermoresistor.

The ECU has water temp data. It's easier to grab that through an aftermarket ECU and display it on something digital. It's not cheap, but it's a checkbox on a laptop.

The next easiest one (and cheapest) is to linearize the stock gauge.

The real pain in the rear end is trying to find a gauge that isn't a colossal piece of garbage and installing it somewhere that isn't the back of the head.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Phone posted:

Nah. There are two senders on the back of the head, an actual real sensor and then a pain in rear end little piece of poo poo 1 wire thermoresistor.

The ECU has water temp data. It's easier to grab that through an aftermarket ECU and display it on something digital. It's not cheap, but it's a checkbox on a laptop.

The next easiest one (and cheapest) is to linearize the stock gauge.

The real pain in the rear end is trying to find a gauge that isn't a colossal piece of garbage and installing it somewhere that isn't the back of the head.

Yes, it's easier/cheaper to install an aftermarket ECU than a $50 water gauge. :psyduck:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Link me a $50 water gauge.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Phone posted:

Link me a $50 water gauge.

http://prosportgauges.com/green-white-water-temperature-gauge.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-2...ater+temp+gauge

https://www.amazon.com/Autometer-Au...ater+temp+gauge

Link me a $50 aftermarket ECU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Auto meter's senders are terribad.

Idk how much Microsquirts are these days. I'm sure second hand MS2 Basics are a few hundred.

Also, you missed my giant "if" and took issue with it. Like, "if you have an aftermarket ECU, clicking a checkbox is the easiest option". You seemed to have missed that part.

Aftermarket gauges are largely trash until you're spending $300 per gauge and even then you're better off just buying a decent dash replacement that you can program.

Also, drilling and tapping the back of the head is totally easy with all of the room you have back there.