Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

The only worthless thing here is your "contributions"

Lashing out at me won't transform Corbyn's Article 50 strategy into something that isn't a tyre fire.

Sounds like the final vote on the bill is going to be three line whipped as well. Wonder what the justification will be for it this time. Maths or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You crying about it won't either.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

How is it you Brexiters describe people who aren't happy with the triggering of Article 50 again? 'Remoaners'?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Labour minority in "having no legislative power whatsoever" shocker.

Next up: Parties that win more than 50% of seats have total governmental fiat? FPTP expert tells us.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

They threw away what slim leverage they had by literally voting with the Tories and not offering any opposition whatsoever. Ah well. At least Corbyn fans thought it was 'clever' and 'nuanced' for some reason.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The comments in that BBC article show that hope is still a lie in 2017

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Next up: Parties that win more than 50% of seats have total governmental fiat? FPTP expert tells us.

But don't you see, the only way to undo brexit is by crying about it on the internet.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

But don't you see, the only way to undo brexit is by crying about it on the internet.

It's amusing to see you co-opt the language and tone of the typical Brexiter.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Has throwing away Labour's leverage and handing the country on a plate to spivs made Hungary less fascist yet

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dugong posted:

The comments in that BBC article show that hope is still a lie in 2017

Hope was a lie from day one. When so far this year have we had reason to hope? None. No times.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Has throwing away Labour's leverage and handing the country on a plate to spivs made Hungary less fascist yet

Yep. It's a utopia already.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

So these people justifying Corbyn's loving awful three line whip on this bill by saying Labour will get amendments

didn't actually think it was going to happen?

Interesting.

Uh the point was that not threatening to block could make it easier for Tories who are willing to vote against the government line to do so. And even though it's what a lot of them want, I'm not holding my breath

The bit you didn't quote was where I contrasted that with your idea that if Labour had voted against Article 50, the Tory rebels would have totally joined in and defeated it. If there was any chance of that, then surely the broadly popular amendments getting lots of support will be a piece of piss. The only reason to vote against them is tory party unity, so I guess we'll see how that works out huh!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Pissflaps posted:

It's amusing to see you co-opt the language and tone of the typical Brexiter.

gently caress me, you don't half bang on like a tuppeny ha'penny record. Go and irritate another forum.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the tories are willing to vote lock step with the party line without pressure to do so I doubt they would stop doing so if the alternative was actually loving up the A50 vote.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

The bit you didn't quote was where I contrasted that with your idea that if Labour had voted against Article 50, the Tory rebels would have totally joined in and defeated it.

Providing opposition to the bill in the hope that it can be defeated or amended makes a lot more sense than voting for the bill and hoping it can be defeated or amended. This is not complicated.

OwlFancier posted:

If the tories are willing to vote lock step with the party line without pressure to do so I doubt they would stop doing so if the alternative was actually loving up the A50 vote.

We'll never know because instead of opposing the bill Labour supports it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

That is how picking a strategy works, yes, however I would venture that we may reasonably intuit that the tories as a party want to see A50 invoked, and any who obstructed that would face severe ire from the leadership. Thus rebellion is unlikely to occur if it actually threatens the party line.

I know you have a fondness for unspecified alternatives but I'm afraid that an alternative not being proven in practice does not automatically make it the better one.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

So these people justifying Corbyn's loving awful three line whip on this bill by saying Labour will get amendments

didn't actually think it was going to happen?

Interesting.

Nobody you quoted said anything about 'forcing' through amendments, and Namtab specifically said the Tories could push the bill through regardless of anything Labour did. Your idea that people think Corbyn's strategy is to enable Labour to force through amendments is a total fantasy. Everyone here is telling you that's not what they think, and you're still shaking your fist at your imaginary strawman.

Pissflaps posted:

They threw away what slim leverage they had by literally voting with the Tories and not offering any opposition whatsoever. Ah well. At least Corbyn fans thought it was 'clever' and 'nuanced' for some reason.

Aaanndd now you show yourself to be the one with unrealistic fantasies by claiming Labour had 'leverage' over the Tories in any way shape or form. I'm genuinely not sure how to explain how our political system works to you.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

That is how picking a strategy works, yes, however I would venture that we may reasonably intuit that the tories as a party want to see A50 invoked, and any who obstructed that would face severe ire from the leadership. Thus rebellion is unlikely to occur if it actually threatens the party line.

I know you have a fondness for unspecified alternatives but I'm afraid that an alternative not being proven in practice does not automatically make it the better one.

Except I told you that this strategy would not work. It's not working. It was never going to work. I think you knew it wasn't going to work yourself.

jabby posted:

Aaanndd now you show yourself to be the one with unrealistic fantasies by claiming Labour had 'leverage' over the Tories in any way shape or form. I'm genuinely not sure how to explain how our political system works to you.

A Labour party, competently led and opposed to Brexit, could have built up some momentum in public opinion and in the house. To be fair, looking at what's leading Labour right now, that does seem an unrealistic fantasy. I was never expecting Corbyn to be able to do this - this is what a Labour party with a real leader would have done. Not one led by the bearded poo poo it has right now. Roll on 2030.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 6, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

We'll know if none of them vote for the amendments that offer guarantees they've been calling for

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Except I told you that this strategy would not work. It's not working. It was never going to work. I think you knew it wasn't going to work yourself.

And, as I said, that does not mean the alternative was any more likely to work.

Sometimes there is no way to achieve what you want.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There is not, nor has there ever been, a way of stopping brexit after the referendum gave that result.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Seeing as a ton of people are not happy with how it's panning out already, even before any kind of concerted attempt by any important political party-slash-movement to rally opinion against it, you'd think there might actually have been.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

There is not, nor has there ever been, a way of stopping brexit after the referendum gave that result.

It seems that way in hindsight because an alternative was never offered.

There's still a way of stopping it now - you just can't imagine it's possible because the Tories can do what they like and Labour are helping them do it.

OwlFancier posted:

And, as I said, that does not mean the alternative was any more likely to work.

This is the same negativity that leads a minority to think Corbyn is the best Labour can do.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 6, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

It seems that way in hindsight because an alternative was never offered.

There's still a way of stopping it now - you just don't think it's possible because the Tories can do what they like and Labour are helping them do it.

Go for it, how can we stop brexit

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

Go for it, how can we stop brexit

I've posted this multiple times. A competent labour leader, on an anti brexit platform, putting pressure on this pro-brexit government, ultimately replacing it and reversing the damage done.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I've posted this multiple times. A competent labour leader, on an anti brexit platform, putting pressure on this pro-brexit government, ultimately replacing it and reversing the damage done.

So you don't actually have any ideas. Cool.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Namtab posted:

The opposition to this idea is "lets just follow the Conservatives and maybe, possibly, if we cross out fingers hard enough, we might be able to mitigate the damage".

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Well I mean neither do the labour party...

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

I've given you a very specific idea. It's a much better idea than 'literally do nothing'.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm going to whack out my time machine and stop Corbyn from ever getting elected, just for you. I can't believe the key to stopping brexit happened before brexit was a thing. This is a realistic idea that definitely could have happened

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

forkboy84 posted:

I think a newspaper which occasionally attacks inequality & low pay does its cause immeasurable damage by exploiting unpaid schemes like this which ultimately are going to favour people whose parents are wealthy enough to give their kid a 2 week free ride, on top of already paying for them to be able to afford London rents

But then liberals are generally terrible on discrimination based on class & economic measures so that's hardly a shocker. Still a lovely look.

I think you're making heavy assumptions here. Like the first question is whether you think they are exploiting the students that apply... and the answer is probably not? It's a 2-week mentorship scheme, it costs their employees' time to pay attention to their kids, and it's unlikely they will get much meaningful work out of these kids except for some cups of coffee made. The scheme will be mainly to the applicants' benefit - it's basically a work experience/CV padding exercise.

The second question is whether this benefits the relatively well to do over the super-poor. This is unfortunately true, but like I said, with the law as it is this is pretty much the only thing they can do (apart from offering bursaries for journalism students, which is the other thing they do). OTOH you don't have to be *that* rich to benefit from the scheme, like they say they are covering travel expenses so you don't have to live right by the offices. There'll be plenty of less well to do students and so on that can survive not working part time or whatever for two weeks. If it was for a longer period it'd be a larger issue.

It's not a perfect scheme by any means, but in the context of the law, I can't really think of how I would do things differently. It's certainly better than nothing. It has been running for several years anyway so if it does its cause damage, you're years out of date.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

I'm going to whack out my time machine and stop Corbyn from ever getting elected, just for you.

I'd really appreciate it if you could. As would the thousands and thousands of people who will die under this, and the next, and the next, Tory government.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I can't believe brexit was all corbyns fault all along

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
a competent labour leadership candidate would have been able to galvanise the membership and beat a jam making, lifetime backbencher but alas, they never came forward. Shame that

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

I can't believe brexit was all corbyns fault all along

I wouldn't say it was his fault, but he certainly shares the blame.

Initially for his piss poor performance during the referendum, more recently for his enabling of Tory Brexit policy. Though it turns out his support for the latter explains the former behaviour. He's worse than I ever imagined tbh.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If only Owen Smith were the leader

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I've given you a very specific idea. It's a much better idea than 'literally do nothing'.
I like how the resistance to the idea of opposing Brexit is that "it would empower the right". In the mean time, the Tories have pushed even further right than they have done in the recent past and they're getting nothing but favourable press over it and they're leagues ahead of any opposition in the polls. On top of this, Farage and Ukip still get a lot of press that is affectionate to their views.

My solution to this is that we all keep quiet and hope that the right doesn't get more empowered, yeah.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

If only Owen Smith were the leader

Owen Smith never impressed me much but I think he'd have done something other than unquestioningly supporting the Tories.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm not naive about the potential to stop brexit, especially now. I think the priority is to build on the anger many remain voters now feel, and whether many leavers now feel, about the vast amount of fuckage that is coming this way due to this decision, and not to betray them by repeatedly emphasizing that their opinions don't matter at all.

This will basically be a second Iraq war vote. If Labour doesn't fight this, when are they going to start fighting? The argument for their surrender on this issue can be extended to a shitload more. You are basically establishing a precedent for full capitulation.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fangz posted:

I think you're making heavy assumptions here. Like the first question is whether you think they are exploiting the students that apply... and the answer is probably not? It's a 2-week mentorship scheme, it costs their employees' time to pay attention to their kids, and it's unlikely they will get much meaningful work out of these kids except for some cups of coffee made. The scheme will be mainly to the applicants' benefit - it's basically a work experience/CV padding exercise.

The second question is whether this benefits the relatively well to do over the super-poor. This is unfortunately true, but like I said, with the law as it is this is pretty much the only thing they can do (apart from offering bursaries for journalism students, which is the other thing they do). OTOH you don't have to be *that* rich to benefit from the scheme, like they say they are covering travel expenses so you don't have to live right by the offices. There'll be plenty of less well to do students and so on that can survive not working part time or whatever for two weeks. If it was for a longer period it'd be a larger issue.

It's not a perfect scheme by any means, but in the context of the law, I can't really think of how I would do things differently. It's certainly better than nothing. It has been running for several years anyway so if it does its cause damage, you're years out of date.

It cuts out anyone who has to meet rent. So yeah, you've got to be from either a family where your folks can afford to pay for you to live in London or commuting distance from London, or live with parents who already live in that area. So yes, it's certainly not going to be only beneficial to those from a well off background, but it remains a fact that these work experience/CV padding things are often hugely beneficial to people and are largely restricted to those who are already from a background where they can afford to go two weeks without being paid. That's not an assumption, that's a fact. It's a very bad thing. It does nothing more than work to entrench inequality further. Yes, it's a common practice for lots of companies, for MPs, and yes, it's hugely problematic in every case. I am deeply opposed to it.

• Locked thread