Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Strategic Tea posted:

this is now in-universe military slang :colbert:

Right up there with "gettin' witchdicked" :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
Hotas X is really good, the stick and throttle can separate. I have shelves for them on the armrests of my comfy gaming chair, keyboard goes in the middle feet go on the desk.

My partner thinks its hilarious.

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

Capn Beeb posted:

So should I drop my 3C multicannon for a missile rack?
Yes.

Capn Beeb posted:

Also, how common are materials for synthesizing missiles in a hazres? Would be neat to refill without having to fly back to base.
That sounds like good gameplay design which is NOT ALLOWED IN THIS GAME

Capn Beeb posted:

With all these changes to the AI, I'm kinda wondering if a 360 pad just isn't enough to keep up with them anymore.
Zakuz plays with a 360 pad. It's good enough.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

jnnnnn posted:

Yes.

That sounds like good gameplay design which is NOT ALLOWED IN THIS GAME

Zakuz plays with a 360 pad. It's good enough.

Done, rip, and word.

I got my FAS out to Farseer and she wants me to go get some meta-alloys. The trip out in this thing was a bit of a slog, so how would I go about :

Swapping out my ship to something more suited for this, say an Asp Explorer, getting all the gizmos I need for that FSD grade 5 recipe, and plugging it back into my FAS?

I'm a bit nervous on screwing myself out of the end goal here :shobon:

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL
if you're doing engineering stuff the Asp-E is pretty good. Maybe stock up on the RES/CZ mats before selling your combat ship (or just bench it if you can afford it, get rich scrub).

The FAS and the Asp-E both take size 5 FSD so you could engineer one in the Asp-E then fly that back to your FAS and swap it over. Or better, use Immersion Mail to do two in one go.

Farseer's grade three thrusters is pretty good as well but you'd have to fly the FAS out there for those, it has size 6 and the Asp-E takes size 5.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
My chain of endless engineering is finally complete.

Everything A-graded. Every noteworthy component engineered to beyond max specs.

Now all I have left to do is engineer a set of turrets for Multicrew.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

jnnnnn posted:

The FAS and the Asp-E both take size 5 FSD so you could engineer one in the Asp-E then fly that back to your FAS and swap it over. Or better, use Immersion Mail to do two in one go.

And the python. :getin:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Kavros posted:

My chain of endless engineering is finally complete.

Everything A-graded. Every noteworthy component engineered to beyond max specs.

Now all I have left to do is engineer a set of turrets for Multicrew.

A man could climax there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jnnnnn posted:

if you're doing engineering stuff the Asp-E is pretty good. Maybe stock up on the RES/CZ mats before selling your combat ship (or just bench it if you can afford it, get rich scrub).

Farseer's grade three thrusters is pretty good as well but you'd have to fly the FAS out there for those, it has size 6 and the Asp-E takes size 5.

This made me think of "recycling" my ExploCutter's size 7 FSD this way, since I'm pretty drat sure I'll be unwilling to ever fly a Cutter again after spending a year chained to it. Now Frontier only has to bring out more large ships with class 7 FSDs. Right now the Imperial Cutter is the only ship with size 7 FSDs. :v:

On the other hand, I also have an Asp with engineered FSD, so I could just put that thing into a lof of medium-sized ships and fly smaller ships for a while.

Edit:

loving typos.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 6, 2017

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Now that module storage is a thing I spent 10 rank 5 FSD range upgrades on the same FSD until I got nearly as good as it gets. May as well as it fits in so many good ships.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

A man could climax there.

Agreed. Gutamaya, ships for performing coitus in.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

jnnnnn posted:

Oh poo poo that's cool, what other components can I swap between a FAS and an Asp-E?

Edit:

Seems I can only do my shields and FSD, drat.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 6, 2017

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
I actually think insta everything is ok for open only play, open is not the place to build a realistic simulation of space life due to the simple fact that even in the 34th century 10 year old will not be flying spaceships. and phycopathic murderers will be hunted down by the authorities and terminated so there is just no bases for any realism in this mode so i say knock yourselves out fdev do whatever you want with open. appoligies for the ones of you that want open and simulation there is just no hope for that i'm afraid it's only going to get worst as the seasons tick by.
As long as Solo keeps it's fundamentals of scale and slow burn i am a happy camper.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I wish I could mail order a proper single player Elite Dangerous on floppy disk for maximum immersion wait times.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TomR posted:

I wish I could mail order a proper single player Elite Dangerous on floppy disk for maximum immersion wait times.

Unironically this. The single player part at least.

Problem with this game is that it took the very worst parts of online mmos like extreme grinding to gate content behind poopsocking, boring bring me ten bear asses missions, slow "story progression" made by interns in their spare time, can't give nice kinda unbalanced things to players because they're going to use them on other players, impossibility to mod the poo poo out of the game and lack of a compress time function to avoid spending hours upon hours just flying in a straight line from A to B.

All of this while masterfully avoiding the good stuff like having guilds, territorial fights, constructing space stations, having an actual player driven economy etc

That sucks because the game is great at its core element of flying in space doing pew pew or exploration or whatever. It just grows so thin after a while that the huge time commitment required to actually get anywhere doesn't feel worth it o anymore. Passengers missions, fighters, multicrew are good steps forward but I fear it's too little, too late.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 6, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TorakFade posted:

Unironically this. The single player part at least.

Problem with this game is that it took the very worst parts of online mmos like extreme grinding to gate content behind poopsocking, boring bring me ten bear asses missions, slow "story progression" made by interns in their spare time, can't give nice kinda unbalanced things to players because they're going to use them on other players, impossibility to mod the poo poo out of the game and lack of a compress time function to avoid spending hours upon hours just flying in a straight line from A to B.

All of this while masterfully avoiding the good stuff like having guilds, territorial fights, constructing space stations, having an actual player driven economy etc

That sucks because the game is great at its core element of flying in space doing pew pew or exploration or whatever. It just grows so thin after a while that the huge time commitment required to actually get anywhere doesn't feel worth it o anymore. Passengers missions, fighters, multicrew are good steps forward but I fear it's too little, too late.

Yeah this is basically the summary of Elite. All of the tedium of an MMO with none of the interesting interactions.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

TorakFade posted:

That was a deliberate decision to avoid EVEness, players have had their power limited by design. Braben regards player run guilds as behaving like mafiosi (his words), he doesn't want tribal groups making GBS threads up his vision of a game where independent pilots can come and go as they choose (play your own way was the tagline). It won't change, it's his baby.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
http://www.cgmagonline.com/2017/02/06/elite-dangerous-developer-licenses-hollywood-franchise/

quote:

Frontier Developments PLC has announced their acquisition of the rights to an unnamed major Hollywood franchise from a studio.[...]Details regarding what particular franchise are cagey[...]

I bet you they bought Alien. Or Star Wars. Wing Commander.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Every time i do passenger mission with high payouts.... it always ends in a mishap.

Did a 1000ly passenger mission off of Fedmich (to do something different from the CG) and as i return in my AspX i get interdicted by some CMDR and the moment i submit i blow up... Is it possible to engineer a high enough alpha to do something like that?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

New X-Wing/TIE Fighter game.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

lmao forever if it's Wing Commander.

But really it doesn't say what kind of franchise so it could seriously be anything.

Going to be a Buffy the Vampire slayer RPG.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE
It's Jurassic park.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It could just be some theme packs for planet coaster.

Edit: Oh, a 3rd game. Hm.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Morningwoodpecker posted:

That was a deliberate decision to avoid EVEness, players have had their power limited by design. Braben regards player run guilds as behaving like mafiosi (his words), he doesn't want tribal groups making GBS threads up his vision of a game where independent pilots can come and go as they choose (play your own way was the tagline). It won't change, it's his baby.

I am still completely baffled by powerplay. It sounded cool but it's a horrible boring grindfest of delivering poo poo (paying for the privilege too) or killing random ships, giving you some kinda meh bonuses and special modules. And you lose half of the favours you earn every single week.

Can anybody explain that somehow?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

It's Jurassic park.

This.

Sim Jurassic Park is a license to print money.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

TorakFade posted:

I am still completely baffled by powerplay. It sounded cool but it's a horrible boring grindfest of delivering poo poo (paying for the privilege too) or killing random ships, giving you some kinda meh bonuses and special modules. And you lose half of the favours you earn every single week.

A concession to guildies that only effects them and is optional for everyone who doesn't give a gently caress.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Xae posted:

This.

Sim Jurassic Park is a license to print money.

Braben talked enthusiastically about dinosaur big game hunting being a really cool game feature a few years ago, and frontier are good at theme park games with their own engine and a large dollop of experience. It also wouldn't encroach on ED's player-base like another space game would and the work they do on dinosaurs could be adapted for aliens when space legs comes out.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

TorakFade posted:

Elite Dangerous: Horizons - It sounded cool but its a horrible boring grindfest

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

hakimashou posted:

Elite Dangerous: Horizons - It sounded cool but its a horrible boring grindfest

mods change title please

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
They got the Freespace license. You won't be able to interact with any capital ships and nothing you do affects the plot line outcome.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Zigmidge posted:

They got the Freespace license. You won't be able to interact with any capital ships and nothing you do affects the plot line outcome.

You take that back right now

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

DIVE DIVE DIVE

A Type 9 is coming through a comically small letterbox in a "realistic" universe that never developed traffic control or basic safety measures!

Also someone should Ludovico treatment to Frontier and make them watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bajI1oGPhog

Xae fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 6, 2017

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

What Braben doesn't understand, or wilfully ignores, is that players naturally form groups in online games. The EVEness that he so detests is exactly what draws players to MMOs. I mean, look at inara and elite. Braben wouldn't give us guilds so people went off site to create the tools to form them anyways.

I realize elite is what it is and that's not going to change. But I can't help but face palm when I see game designers trying so hard to swim against the current as is the case here.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

And it's a good decision, since if I want to play a space MMO, I play EVE. I have neither the time nor the mental fortitude to play two time-consuming MMOs at the same time. If Elite were like EVE, one of them would have to go. The way it is, I can play both games! Clearly Braben found the optimal solution, at least from my perspective as a selfish rear end in a top hat. :smugbird:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Okay I just got this and I am quickly finding that mouse and keyboard flight is gonna be tough. Gotta get used to it until I order a joystick I suppose.

Took me like 30 min to find a dock into a station.. I overshot it because I didn't know how to get out of hyperspace or whatever... so many keybinds.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Polish posted:

Okay I just got this and I am quickly finding that mouse and keyboard flight is gonna be tough. Gotta get used to it until I order a joystick I suppose.

Took me like 30 min to find a dock into a station.. I overshot it because I didn't know how to get out of hyperspace or whatever... so many keybinds.

Honestly, you're going to have to get used to it no mater what control setup you use. M+Kb works surprisingly well once you get the hang of it, and picking any other scheme will require you to go through the same kind of learning to get the feel for how you control your ship. Joystick may seem the most intuitive, but unless you run a full HOTAS setup, you'll soon run out of buttons (and axes) and have to reach for the keyboard anyway. :D

If you have a difficult time finding your way into a station, request permission to land and than keep it targeted — small arrows will appear on the little 3D target hologram that point to the docking ramp.

The trick to not overshooting is to let the "time to target" reach ~7 seconds, and then throttle back to 75%. You can set a specific keybind for this throttle level, and then just ride it in.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

To be honest, I find mouse+keyboard flight to be even easier than joystick flight. Q and E for roll, WASD for lateral thrust, R and F for forward/reverse thrusters and space for FA off. It allows (at least for me) more precise control over fine movement, though that's not such a huge deal in ED. There's something to be said for yanking on a flight stick and squeezing a trigger though. It's a good feeling.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 7, 2017

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Hexenritter posted:

To be honest, I find mouse+keyboard flight to be even easier than joystick flight. Q and E for roll, WASD for lateral thrust, R and F for forward/reverse thrusters and space for FA off. It allows (at least for me) more precise control over fine movement, though that's not such a huge deal in ED. There's something to be said for yanking on a flight stick and squeezing a trigger though. It's a good feeling.

I agree, I prefer mouse and keyboard. Granted I only tried a borrowed HOTAS for a little but it didn't seem worth the cost when this is all I'd do with it, m+kb works great.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I got Farseer her alloys, do I have to unlock each FSD range upgrade in sequence or can I just jump right to level 5?

Edit:

Or are the upgrades gated by how much she likes me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Capn Beeb posted:

Or are the upgrades gated by how much she likes me?

This. You increase your rep by buying upgrades (and a few of the engineers will also take stellar cartography data). You can just keep spamming them and discarding results worse than what you have. When you get to level 3, start spamming those as they'll up your rep through 4 to 5 much more quickly. Later on, some engineers will let you add special effects (like burning, acid, heal, etc for weapons), but adding one will burn some of your rep with them and you can find yourself accidentally dropping from 3 to 2 like I did with the first one that does multicannon upgrades.

• Locked thread