Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

I have no problem queuing up 20 corvettes or so in a go when I'm in an endgame war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

ulmont posted:

Are you really building 60 corvettes in parallel?

I don't even understand where this question is coming from.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

GlyphGryph posted:

Isn't flak and the like actually pretty good against corvettes too?

the normal point defense has drat near -100% against shields so if your enemy corvettes have shields (they do) you're gonna do nothing there. flak i don't really remember but i believe it is also pretty poopy against shields, which is what small ships value most highly. autocannons are what you ACTUALLY want to slot if you want large ships to fight small ships as medium slot autocannons fire quickly enough that little corvettes will still get screwed.

again though, the question more becomes "what's the best VALUE" because for most of the game you have to husband your resources carefully. you're mostly fighting the entire galaxy here. and in that case using autocannon corvettes or destroyers to counter alpha-strike plasma thrower corvettes is where the smart money is. which makes some sense because if you're slotting autocannons those ships are sure as hell not gonna be useful on anything larger than an enemy destroyer.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 6, 2017

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Chronic Reagan posted:

Late reply, but I would watch the archives of Extraterrestrial Thursdays on Paradox's Twitch channel.
https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/videos/all
They explain the game well, Wiz & cKnoor have a lot of fun as they play & the strength of their banter is what keeps the stream entertaining. First one is from 3/17/16. Only caveat is the game was pre-release when the stream started, and the game has had a couple of major content patches since release, so it's not quite the same game as today. Still probably worth watching anyway.

edit: If you don't want to watch the entire archives, they did just start a new playthrough last week showing off some of the upcoming features in the new patch.

Thank you for this! I've been playing on and off, I've got my game on easy and am trying to get used to the game mechanics. I have been watching their let's play videos and some of the older ones by quill.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ulmont posted:

You can build several battleships in parallel as well (about 10-11 of those guys without mineral silos).

GunnerJ posted:

But we're comparing one battleship to its "pound-for-pound" equivalent in corvettes.

GunnerJ posted:

I don't even understand where this question is coming from.

The pound-for-pound equivalent of 10 battleships is 60-80 corvettes. I'm not going to build 60-80 corvettes in parallel, but I will build 10 battleships in parallel.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 6, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
when i play stellaris i don't find myself interacting with a lot of its systems, especially the ones that are pop based. I don't use slavery or really care about ethics drift or deal with genetic modification or using certain types of xenos for different things in my empire because the pop system is really hard to interact with and make decisions based off of. i also don't use the ship designer because it's impossible to k eep track of all the different poo poo. my greatest wish is for an expansion that makes all of this more intuitive.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
End game combat is really unfun. I ended up controlling 1/5th of the galaxy vs a federation of everyone else, and despite massively out numbering them I couldn't keep up at all because they were attacking with tiny fleets everywhere on the map and without a computer brain I couldn't keep track of everything. Every time I tired to split my fleet up into smaller bits the AI would converge enough nearby ones on the fight to crush it.

In the end I just ignored the constant "station under attack" warnings and steamrolled through a bunch of there planets to drive my warscore up.

----

Also, please make there be a way to get transport ships not auto attack anything in range when they don't have any weapons. Flying in an army to take a planet only for them to get caught on a mining platform your fleet missed on the way in is incredibly annoying. You can't damage it. Stop circling around and land on the drat planet.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You can produce 80 corvettes exactly as fast as you can produce 10 battleships (Corvettes take 1/8th the time of a Battleship), except you'll have results from the Corvette production 420 days before the Battleships pop out of the yards.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zurai posted:

You can produce 80 corvettes exactly as fast as you can produce 10 battleships (Corvettes take 1/8th the time of a Battleship), except you'll have results from the Corvette production 420 days before the Battleships pop out of the yards.

Not if you get a cramp from all that clicking

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Coolguye posted:

again though, the question more becomes "what's the best VALUE" because for most of the game you have to husband your resources carefully. you're mostly fighting the entire galaxy here. and in that case using autocannon corvettes or destroyers to counter alpha-strike plasma thrower corvettes is where the smart money is. which makes some sense because if you're slotting autocannons those ships are sure as hell not gonna be useful on anything larger than an enemy destroyer.

Corvs die quick. which means that you lose dps quick and they need to be replaced more often and their shields go down quicker and living metals have a smaller benefit. They also tend to take more damage due to lower armor so their defenses need to be compared too

Destroyers or carriers I could see using to help counter corvettes but i am struggling to imagine why you would field corvettes of your own.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 6, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ulmont posted:

The pound-for-pound equivalent of 10 battleships is 60-80 corvettes. I'm not going to build 60-80 corvettes in parallel, but I will build 10 battleships in parallel.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of making up fleet losses, but if I'm making a fleet from scratch and I want ~100 corvettes (something I have found myself wanting for some purposes), I will queue up as many in parallel as I can afford, just like if I want ~10 battleships.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Libluini posted:

my wrist is well trained against repetitive motion injuries thanks :fap:

GodFish posted:

In the end I just ignored the constant "station under attack" warnings and steamrolled through a bunch of there planets to drive my warscore up.
this is precisely what you should do. put fortresses with subspace snares on your border worlds to discourage adventurism during peace time, and then ignore offensives to stomp people flat during war time. this is not a bad formula, honestly.

GlyphGryph posted:

Corvs die quick. which means that you lose dps quick and they need to be replaced more often and their shields go down quicker and loving metals have a smaller benefit.

Destroyers or carriers I could see using to help counter corvettes but i am struggling to imagine why you would field corvettes of your own.
outsized alpha strikes and distractions. corvettes die quick but they are replaced even quicker. a starport with corv assembly bays will spit out a corvette in 24 days, which is a big deal when you consider that a battleship with assembly bays still takes north of 4 months to complete. the ENTIRE game for stellaris's combat is to simply make the other guy spend more resources (time and minerals) than you do in a fight. corvettes are cheap and easy to build so they are fantastic for spending your resources carefully.

in large-fleet compositions, corvettes are the easy thing to replace to keep your big guys from blowing up and taking a real bite out of your capacity. and in small-fleet compositions, corvettes make a LOAD of sense for blowing up enemy starports in the back field, since they can dump off a ton of torpedoes and peace out very quickly once the starport is down.

it's not as large a role as they once had (where on launch, their evasion made them King Corv) but corvettes have a good spot on most battlefields. the only place they really stop making sense is the very end game where you are just stomping the gently caress out of everyone - in which case, yes, destroyers will make more sense because you can fit them with better defenses and it'll piss you off less because you don't need to replace as many.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 6, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wish scrolling in menus wasn't such a pain, the bar on the right is so narrow and if you move your mouse pointer one pixel too far to the right it closes the window. Whoever designed that deserves a slap in the face by a gross alien's extremity.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Corvs die quick. which means that you lose dps quick and they need to be replaced more often and their shields go down quicker and living metals have a smaller benefit. They also tend to take more damage due to lower armor so their defenses need to be compared too

The main use I had in mind for them was anything like a titan that could one-shot a capital ship with its doom laser. If you're going to get one-shotted anyway, lots of small things are good, the cheaper the better. FE fleets heavy with large or XL weapons that could hit capital ships easily but not corvettes was another.

idk, it worked out well for me.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

In addition to what's mentioned above, Corvettes have the best cost-per-torpedo ratio in the game. You can pack 8 untargetable high-damage torpedoes into the same fleet capacity as one battleship and for much less cost. Admittedly, this is made better by mods which actually give you control over your fleet tactics so that torpedo boats don't charge into point blank range and get eaten up by flak cannons or autocannons, but they're still very cost-efficient for their punch.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Poil posted:

I wish scrolling in menus wasn't such a pain, the bar on the right is so narrow and if you move your mouse pointer one pixel too far to the right it closes the window. Whoever designed that deserves a slap in the face by a gross alien's extremity.

Holy poo poo, this.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

The main use I had in mind for them was anything like a titan that could one-shot a capital ship with its doom laser. If you're going to get one-shotted anyway, lots of small things are good, the cheaper the better. FE fleets heavy with large or XL weapons that could hit capital ships easily but not corvettes was another.

idk, it worked out well for me.

as i said before as well, FEs in particular seem to HATE strike craft carriers, so loading up corvettes to take a huge messy dump on big guys was an especially good call there as they were outright ignoring my little guys.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Poil posted:

:agreed:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Getting on the menu scrolling sucks bandwagon.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

During a long and grinding war with the awakened fallen empire, I get a note stating the unbidden have turned up to start loving poo poo up too. Luckily, my brand new 120k doomstack that I'd built to crush finally crush the fallen empire fleet was merely 2 jumps away from where they'd popped up so I jumped right in and inserted boots into assholes and finally managed to stop an unbidden invasion for the first time.

This was made more surprising by the fact synths outnumber anyone else in the galaxy so I was fully expecting an AI rebellion at some point and then the entire galaxy getting hosed up.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Aethernet posted:

Getting on the menu scrolling sucks bandwagon.

Splitting fleets makes me want to die.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Splitting fleets is godawful, and yeah menu scrolling in general is pretty bad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I straight up don't do it any other way than splitting in half a bunch of times and recombining as needed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

But those free clone-admirals!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

At least part of the problem is that you have to deal with individual ships. If I want to split off all destroyers, and they are all for some reason at the bottom of this hugeass list, WELP.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I once removed the ten battleships I had in a fleet. Never again. One big doomstack forever.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
why oh why does the list position reset when you make a choice. the worst

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

At least part of the problem is that you have to deal with individual ships. If I want to split off all destroyers, and they are all for some reason at the bottom of this hugeass list, WELP.

Yeah, you should really be able to do the EU4 thing, where if you click on a class of ship in the stack view, all those ships instantly become a new fleet.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Libluini posted:

Is there like some hidden way you can queue ships like 5 or 10 at a time? Wiz pls?

Also, while I'm bitching about UI:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

There is a reason all my fleet doctrines call for powers-of-2 numbers of each class and it is NOT because I am role playing aliens who have hands but no fingers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I'd just be happy if we at least had the same quality of life poo poo for fleets as we do for armies in eu4, in both building and managing them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And to that end, remove Spaceport modules that give a permanent bonus to ships built there.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

And to that end, remove Spaceport modules that give a permanent bonus to ships built there.

They have already largely done this and i hope it continues

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Some way to plan out a spaceport from scratch would be great too. Order it to build, upgrade and put in the desired modules in one go so you don't have to keep looking back every few months.

A typical escapade
Jun 12, 2011

quote:

Yeah, you should really be able to do the EU4 thing, where if you click on a class of ship in the stack view, all those ships instantly become a new fleet.

If you split a ship off and select both fleets you can still do that, you just have to drag the ship icon to the other fleet's tab. It opens the "click which ships to transfer" window with just ships of that class. I have no idea why you can't do that without creating another fleet first.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

Isn't flak and the like actually pretty good against corvettes too?
Flak, in fact, absolutely annihilates corvettes. Probably destroyers too?

I posted

Truga posted:

My current fleet composition is destroyers with kinetic artillery and flak, cruisers with two kinetics and flaks and battleships with lances and lots of artillery. It works surprisingly well.
from the phone earlier and let me expand a bit now:
https://udba.org/stellaris/2017_02_07_1.png
https://udba.org/stellaris/2017_02_07_2.png
https://udba.org/stellaris/2017_02_07_3.png

These are more or less the ship loadouts I use now. All my ships have the 100 range kinetic battery thing, it trashes poo poo from way far out, which is great both when you're the bigger power (I often kill fleets close to my fleet power while losing like 2 destroyers or a cruiser or some other silly low number worth of minerals), or when you're the underdog (do tons of damage from way out, then retreat when your poo poo starts dying too fast for comfort).

The downside of the batteries is, of course, they're entirely useless against corvettes. Maybe destroyers too? I know that even destroyers absolutely will not hit a corvette with the kinetic gun, maybe they can hit destroyers. Obviously, this would be bad, but that's what the flak is for.

Flak doesn't have any bonuses or penalties, its only non-standard feature is that it doubles as a point defense. Except, it has 50% tracking compared to PD's 30%, has 40 range, compared to PD's 10, and does 4.4 damage per day, compared to PD's 2.2, and while it seems like a marginal damage increase, flak shoots slower, but hits *hard* so most things it'll target will just get alpha'd to death by your fleet. And yes, PD has -100% shield damage.

What this means is, if all your destroyers and cruisers are packing flak, there's a death wall around your ships at 40 range, through which no fighter, corvette or missile can ever fly. It's kinda funny going against a fleet that's heavy on tiny ships, all my ships start firing, but the enemy fleet isn't dying at all. Every time I get a bit worried, thinking finally an AI has a good counter, but then they reach the death wall range and vanish in a giant glorious ball of fire and explosion.

It's ridiculously effective.

Dallan Invictus posted:

There is a reason all my fleet doctrines call for powers-of-2 numbers of each class and it is NOT because I am role playing aliens who have hands but no fingers.

My fleets were in powers of 2 before I read this post and now I suddenly feel like I get why people are complaining about splitting fleets :v:

A typical escapade posted:

If you split a ship off and select both fleets you can still do that, you just have to drag the ship icon to the other fleet's tab. It opens the "click which ships to transfer" window with just ships of that class. I have no idea why you can't do that without creating another fleet first.

I have no idea why the selected *single* fleet window is what it is, it clutters up the whole screen. I don't need to know the name of every single ship in my fleet, I just care if it has an admiral, and how many of each class there are. When selecting 2 fleets, the problem suddenly disappears :shrug:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What ship design is that? :stwoon:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Reminding people I want more custom goon races, a lot more, especially some FEs.

If you submitted in the old thread that was NOT to my mod but to the one that got abandoned so please resubmit here.

use the keyword SPECIES SUBMISSION so I notice your post

Also someone mention this in one the stellaris discords

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Poil posted:

Yeah, that's my largest gripe with the UI lately. There's a lot of issues but fixing that would go a long way to help resolve them.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Poil posted:

What ship design is that? :stwoon:

Those are fungoid ships IIRC, just not the usual color scheme.

It might overcomplicate combat but at least visually, broadside batteries would be cool to implement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

GlyphGryph posted:

Reminding people I want more custom goon races, a lot more, especially some FEs.

If you submitted in the old thread that was NOT to my mod but to the one that got abandoned so please resubmit here.

use the keyword SPECIES SUBMISSION so I notice your post

Also someone mention this in one the stellaris discords

mentioned them

• Locked thread