Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

tooterfish posted:

I still give the series a 9/10 for trying this poo poo when no one else would even bother. I fell in love with it when Miller poured his whiskey in the brothel in season 1, and the Coriolis effect caused it to spiral sideways into the glass. That's attention to detail.

Yep. That loving ruled as a nod to us nerdlords, especially because they didn't explain it at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The deflection was waaaaaaay too great.

A necessary concession to cool.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
What I meant is stationary relative to the ring's axis of rotation. Point the nose toward the centre of the ring, and when the docking ports are aligned, thrust forward. Of course as has been mentioned already this seems like an unnecessarily difficult way of docking.

Another possibility is that the arm that grabs the Roci can rotate independently of the ring so that while the ring rotates, the arm and the ship are stationary relative to each other, and once the arm grabs on, it matches the rotation of the ring.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 6, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

tooterfish posted:

I still give the series a 9/10 for trying this poo poo when no one else would even bother. I fell in love with it when Miller poured his whiskey in the brothel in season 1, and the Coriolis effect caused it to spiral sideways into the glass. That's attention to detail.

That was a gross exaggeration of how much the Coriolis effect would come into play there. I mean, if there's that much of an effect over that short a distance the difference in acceleration between your head and your feet would make just living there enormously uncomfortable; "down" would be a different direction at each point along your body. In reality a station as big as Ceres rotating at the speed it would need to rotate for that level of force, Coriolis effects over the distance that small would be small enough to be swamped by things like air currents, you'd never notice it pouring whiskey into a glass.

But yeah, points for effort.

Subyng posted:

What I meant is stationary relative to the ring's axis of rotation. Point the nose toward the centre of the ring, and when the docking ports are aligned, thrust forward.

But then by the time you get to the docking port, the station's rotation has carried in spinward. You need to match the station's spin so that you're stationary relative to the point on the rim, and that takes constant maneuvering thrust; you literally have to match the rim's *acceleration*, not a position.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Phanatic posted:

That was a gross exaggeration of how much the Coriolis effect would come into play there. I mean, if there's that much of an effect over that short a distance the difference in acceleration between your head and your feet would make just living there enormously uncomfortable; "down" would be a different direction at each point along your body. In reality a station as big as Ceres rotating at the speed it would need to rotate for that level of force, Coriolis effects over the distance that small would be small enough to be swamped by things like air currents, you'd never notice it pouring whiskey into a glass.
Ah, here's where the attention to detail really grabs you though.

The brothel is in one of the poor parts of town, close to the centre of the asteroid. It's a cheap place to live because the coriolis effects are so uncomfortable.

If you notice later on, Miller pours a glass of water in the governor's office and the water actually flows straight down. The governor and all the other rich well-wallers live close to the edge, where you can hardly notice coriolis effects at all.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Phanatic posted:

But yeah, points for effort.

To be fair, it may have been exaggerated for effect, not just in terms of showing off the SFX, but to show that it was worse in that part of the station. That scene took place near the center of spin, where the gravity is low, the Coriolis is nauseating, and the rent is cheap.

Edit: :argh:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

tooterfish posted:

The brothel is in one of the poor parts of town, close to the centre of the asteroid. It's a cheap place to live because the coriolis effects are so uncomfortable.

If you notice later on, Miller pours a glass of water in the governor's office and the water actually flows straight down. The governor and all the other rich well-wallers live close to the edge, where you can hardly notice coriolis effects at all.

I suspect it's still greatly exaggerated.

Ceres is 950 kilometers in diameter. a =v^2/r. If it's spun to provide 1g at the perimeter (Do they ever specifically mention what the g level is? 1 g is definitely uncomfortable for belters, so I think 1 g is a big overestimate but let's go with it as an upper limit), 9.8m/s^2 = v^2/425000, v=2kps. 2kps sounds fast but for an object the size of Ceres it's less than .05rpm.

You're never going to feel Coriolis at such a low rotation rate, the threshold for discomfort is around 4rpm. The gravity falls off as you get closer to the axis, but the rotation rate doesn't change.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 6, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ceres is about ⅓ g, I think.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Phanatic posted:

But then by the time you get to the docking port, the station's rotation has carried in spinward. You need to match the station's spin so that you're stationary relative to the point on the rim, and that takes constant maneuvering thrust; you literally have to match the rim's *acceleration*, not a position.

You thrust ahead of time so that you arrive there as the docking port becomes aligned. E.g if the dock is 90 degrees away, by the time it has reached 0 degrees you're already touching it.

Like imagine someone on a lazy Susan with their arm outstreched. You're standing right next to the edge with your arm out, and when your hands meet you clasp them together and you get pulled along

Subyng fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 6, 2017

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

That would cause a non-trivial amount of stress. Instead of the ships thrusters changing the ships velocity vector to match the stations its the docking clamps.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

AirborneNinja posted:

That would cause a non-trivial amount of stress. Instead of the ships thrusters changing the ships velocity vector to match the stations its the docking clamps.

True, but it does match what we see with the sudden acceleration in the show. If the docking clamps have a flexible component like an accordion that might also dampen the sudden acceleration.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Platystemon posted:

Ceres is about ⅓ g, I think.

Yup. I assume that's at/near the surface, so in practice is lower for the average poor Belter.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

tooterfish posted:

Anyone have gif?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I don't know about a gif, but the wiki has a screenshot.

http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Coriolis_Effect

edit: although that's not the scene I was talking about, this is:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

tooterfish posted:

Not necessarily close to the edge but closer to the equator. The closer to the poles the greater the coriolis.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There was also the bit in the last episode of season one where Naomi sprinkled some dust from her fingers and the spiral told her they were close to the docking bay.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Platystemon posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/DependentCorruptAuklet.mp4

Rocinante has the correct orientation, but the cutting of the scene makes no sense. Miller should be decked when the thrusters fire, not when the clamps lock.

Docking like that would be easy enough if you had computer control and enough propellant.

The thruster fire knocked Miller off of his bed then moved ballistic perpendicular to the docking bay until captured by the clamps. The fall should be ecliptical but as with the spacing scene the fundamentals are accurate. Very nice touch and has gotten nerds talking.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 7, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Anyone have gif?

https://fat.gfycat.com/EnchantingScornfulBlackfly.mp4

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

tooterfish posted:

I don't know about a gif, but the wiki has a screenshot.

http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Coriolis_Effect

edit: although that's not the scene I was talking about, this is:

I have to imagine that as an alcoholic Earther I would have a really frustrating time if I went up into the belt.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I have to imagine that as an alcoholic Earther I would have a really frustrating time if I went up into the belt.

just drink from the bottle like a real alcoholic

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

404notfound posted:

just drink from the bottle like a real alcoholic

After I spent all that money on an MCRN mug? No way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://zippy.gfycat.com/SnoopyFirmGalapagosalbatross.mp4
https://zippy.gfycat.com/VictoriousPoliticalEsok.mp4

The dust one doesn’t make sense.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

FuriousxGeorge posted:

If you're an Earther on Ceres, you''re probably rich enough to not have to deal with that poo poo.

Here's the scene in the governor's office I was talking about :

Same station, no visible coriolis fuckery. It's a really neat and subtle way to demonstrate the class differences on Ceres.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AlternateAccount posted:

Selfquote, perhaps the lighting in the scene is weird, but I am thinking the one used is the BROWN color, not red:

Confirm/Deny?

Emsa City cup 180ml. According to their website, you can have red, clear or blue.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rocksicles posted:

Emsa City cup 180ml. According to their website, you can have red, clear or blue.

Yeah but no one in he US sells the brown ones I can find. :(

Even the red ones seem unavailable.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It doesn't seem like they ever manufactured a brown one.

It's probably just modified. The props forum thing i read was specifically mentioning the red one.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rocksicles posted:

It doesn't seem like they ever manufactured a brown one.

It's probably just modified. The props forum thing i read was specifically mentioning the red one.

There's definitely a brown one. Just hard to find.

http://ramabo.com/emsa-coffee-city-cup-02-l-brown/14603707-2808224457

Right?

I kinda think the red one would look "better" tho.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's good to see that this thread has already identified the object to send to Syfy if they cancel.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sweet, maybe they have being made different in colours in different countries.

Probably boxes of them being turned into merch as we speak

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Qc0oj9ans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clobSU3pJGc

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
So.... protomolecule is extra-solar, eh? This series has xeno life forms? Don't get me wrong, Game of Thrones in space is cool but I'm stoked if we get White Walkers in space too. (Not literally)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, things go nuts.

Hold onto your helmets, space fans!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So the book authors actually wrote the second episode? Heh, so blame them for Thoth, if you disagree with how it was handled.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Combat Pretzel posted:

So the book authors actually wrote the second episode? Heh, so blame them for Thoth, if you disagree with how it was handled.

Writing and Directing are not the same thing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah I'd blame spotty directing, and the executive decision to cram 3 episodes into a season double header. The second half of this episode seriously needed room to breathe, stuff happened way too fast, did we really need to end episode 2 in the climactic Thoth station raid and the Dresden headshot?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah I'd blame spotty directing, and the executive decision to cram 3 episodes into a season double header. The second half of this episode seriously needed room to breathe, stuff happened way too fast, did we really need to end episode 2 in the climactic Thoth station raid and the Dresden headshot?

Yeah after re-watch, the pacing goes to poo poo in episode 2. I feel like it would have been better served for the 2nd episode to close out on the approach to Thoth, and then open 3 with the actual raid allowing it to spread out some, instead of how cramped it ended up feeling.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

We didn't exactly cover a lot of book material last season. Not that I'm complaining, but maybe they were told to hurry poo poo along.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

AwkwardKnob posted:

So.... protomolecule is extra-solar, eh? This series has xeno life forms? Don't get me wrong, Game of Thrones in space is cool but I'm stoked if we get White Walkers in space too. (Not literally)

Seems so far that the proto-molecule is more like the Halo Flood.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I thought it was going to be some kind of sentient nanotech, which in my opinion is much cooler. I'm hoping the aliens angle is just a red herring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://giant.gfycat.com/GrotesqueImpishAndeancockoftherock.mp4

This shot gives me vague vertigo but I like the attempt to show how spin stations work.

• Locked thread