Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
One of the cornerstones of Numenera's design, the Cyphers, was based on Cook's style of handing out loot in his D&D 3rd edition games where he'd routinely give people spell scrolls, or not even scrolls of in-game spells, but just one-shot consumables that produced very specific effects, and let his players have at it.

You could probably do a lot with that, with the caveat that you should inform your players to please try not to fall into the whole "hoard rockets until the Cyberdemon" mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

"hoard rockets until the Cyberdemon"

"These last a couple days, then they go off... That is, I mean, they go bad! Uh... a bit like milk or meat! Definitely not "go off" like bang or whoompf! And these are extra long life versions anyway! It won't be a problem! 150 gold for the lot! Great deal, prices never to be repeated!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ratpick posted:

I already like to take inspiration from Legend of Zelda in terms of dungeon design so I think this is insanely good.

I'm actually a huge fan of magic items like this that have obvious uses in combat but also outside of it. During the last session of my Basic D&D game my players decided to give the group Fighter a potion of giant strength so he could clear some rocks in their path, thus opening a quicker way to traverse the dungeon they were in without having to take various detours. He kept one of the boulders around for the next combat and went on to throw one at an enemy, effectively one-shotting it. That was fun.

I should start taking more obvious cues from the Legend of Zelda games, especially from A Link to the Past since it has some of the best environmental puzzles combined with the environment being an important factor in combat.
It's weird that 5E has this whole attunement system and fell short at the last step of "Non-magic-user classes, due to their reduced magical overhead, may attune to an additional X items".

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad

Splicer posted:

It's weird that 5E has this whole attunement system and fell short at the last step of "Non-magic-user classes, due to their reduced magical overhead, may attune to an additional X items".

House rules baby!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Big Black Brony posted:

House rules baby!
Just because I can wire a light switch doesn't make it not weird that the electrician didn't do it for me!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
As far as I can tell, for brief drops into martial Fighter 1 seems to be the way to go. Gaining Fighting Skill is a big boon for chance to hit, Second Wind helps with survivability. You also gain armor and weapon proficiencies and so can supplement for example a sorcerer with good archery just right off the bat from a single drop level.

Other than that from what I've seen on my tables martials "come into their own" faster, around level 3, and are good as heck until level 5 or 6, and then the spellcasters catch up and never look back.

Ranger with Colossus Slayer however seems to be fairly beastly for early game damage. Hunter's Mark and Colossus Slayer on top of like a longbow is rolling something like 11 average damage on a hit? Which maybe my guys are terrible but that's not too bad for a 3rd level character.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'd argue at leas that rogues get to do tons of fun poo poo outside of combat even if they're in combat utility drops off at higher levels. Sneaking around using utility magical items to pretend your in a heist movie is always fun.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/sorcerer

New Unearthed Arcana.

quote:

The sorcerer unearths new magical possibilities this week. The class receives four playtest options for the Sorcerous Origin feature: Favored Soul, Phoenix Sorcery, Sea Sorcery, and Stone Sorcery.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Didn't we already have the favored soul?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Kurieg posted:

I thought we got the hierophant which let wizards channel divinity specials and domains in another UA.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

crime fighting hog posted:

I thought we got the hierophant which let wizards channel divinity specials and domains in another UA.
No, they did a different version of the favored soul 2 years ago as an example of building new sub-classes.
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/modifying-classes

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Splicer posted:

Because multiclassing.

Paramemetic posted:

As far as I can tell, for brief drops into martial Fighter 1 seems to be the way to go. Gaining Fighting Skill is a big boon for chance to hit, Second Wind helps with survivability. You also gain armor and weapon proficiencies and so can supplement for example a sorcerer with good archery just right off the bat from a single drop level.

If the assumption is that you're going into full caster after your dip, look at Paladin or Cleric, too. You can potentially get a lot of the same options.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Kurieg posted:

No, they did a different version of the favored soul 2 years ago as an example of building new sub-classes.
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/modifying-classes

The new Favored Soul seems pretty meh. I much preferred the bonus armor and weapon profs of the old one vs. getting the HP of Draconic sorc without the AC benefit.

Also, they don't get Domain spells in the new version? gently caress that.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Kurieg posted:

We did. The first one had free Heavy armor and an expanded spell list. Which is probably why they did a new version.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Disappointments all around.

Favoured Soul is... ok-ish but bland as gently caress. There is nothing in there that makes it feel like part of the Sorcerer. This could've been a divine Rogue or cloister-Monk and you'd never be able to tell, because it's just a generic pile of bonuses.

Phoenix feels magical, at least, but it also has several abilities that harm "creatures". Which usually means your own allies. Imagine playing the Cleric who has to Cure Wounds this rear end in a top hat as he's on fire and will harm you as thanks for your efforts. And then when he gets knocked down, Phoenix Spark will hurt you all over again. gently caress this guy. At least the Wild Magic surges are randomized, this guy is basically guaranteed to be a liability to his own party. (At max level, Phoenix Spark can deal 50 damage to your entire party when you go down. Mantle of Flame means 20 for level, 20 for Form of the Phoenix, 10 for double Charisma. Jesus.)

Now for the Sea Sorcerer. Curse of the Sea is... odd. The curse lasts until you hit another creature, which implies you can curse only one creature at a time. But what if the cantrip hurts several creatures in the first place? (e.g. Eldritch Blast, Acid Splash, anything Twin Spell'd.) Water Soul and Watery Defense help against damage from slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning damage. Any type. Remember how they had to errata the Monster Manual to clarify that resistance was only supposed to apply to attacks, because you got unintended interactions with traps, spells, and falling damage? Well, the Sorcerer doesn't give a gently caress and uses pre-errata damage resistance again. It even works against magical weapons. Even honest to god Water Elementals don't have that.

Stone Sorcerer has a similar thing. Stone Aegis is just an at-will buff on any ally (or three allies, later) that reduces incoming damage. That's just a tiny little bit ridiculous because it can be active pretty much 24/7. And then you get to do 4e Swordmage tricks if the enemy dares to harm your buddy.

On top of that, they got cute with the wording for the math on Stone Aegis. "2 + your sorcerer level divided by 4" can mean...
2+(Sorc/4)
(2+Sorc)/4

It's almost certainly the former, because that's just the more traditional "2 + 1 per four sorc levels", but the latter interpretation is not inherently wrong either. Mathematical order of operations hardly helps here because it depends on where you mentally put the brackets, not on what sequence you work. I mean, hell, why not just use the normal phrasing? Or have it be equal to your proficiency bonus or Cha modifier or whatever? Why even use a dumb formula at all?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wait resistance doesn't apply to spells? Cold resistance doesn't reduce damage from cone of cold? :psyduck:

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Wait resistance doesn't apply to spells? Cold resistance doesn't reduce damage from cone of cold? :psyduck:

It does, but slashing/piercing/bludgeoning resistance is supposed to apply purely to weapon attacks. But that's not what they originally wrote, pre-errata.

For example, Blade Barrier deals slashing damage. So, pre-errata, if you have resistance to slashing damage then you only take half from BB. But that is not what they intended, so they changed it with errata to clarify that it's only supposed to count against attacks. Nonmagical attacks. Which is double-speak for "weapons".

But now the Sea Sorcerer uses the old language again. So they could, once more, take only half damage from Blade Barrier after they went through all that trouble to make sure that couldn't happen.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I like doing this too, even if they are sometimes "a few" shot items. Weapons that have a built in magic trick, the usual potions/scrolls, scrounged herbs that can do a thing, whatever.

I also like the kind of world where "permanent" items are a big deal, but making disposables is much easier.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Sage Genesis posted:

It does, but slashing/piercing/bludgeoning resistance is supposed to apply purely to weapon attacks. But that's not what they originally wrote, pre-errata.

For example, Blade Barrier deals slashing damage. So, pre-errata, if you have resistance to slashing damage then you only take half from BB. But that is not what they intended, so they changed it with errata to clarify that it's only supposed to count against attacks. Nonmagical attacks. Which is double-speak for "weapons".

But now the Sea Sorcerer uses the old language again. So they could, once more, take only half damage from Blade Barrier after they went through all that trouble to make sure that couldn't happen.

I don't think you are quite correct here.

The original wording of resistances stated that resistance applied to damage from "non-magical weapons" and it was changed to "non-magical attacks".

Functionally I don't think there is such a thing as a non-magical attack that isn't also an attack with a weapon (a trap maybe?), but the wording in the UE subclasses isn't even the old wording - it's a new, broader, wording.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

thefakenews posted:

The original wording of resistances stated that resistance applied to damage from "non-magical weapons" and it was changed to "non-magical attacks".

Functionally I don't think there is such a thing as a non-magical attack that isn't also an attack with a weapon (a trap maybe?), but the wording in the UE subclasses isn't even the old wording - it's a new, broader, wording.

Well falling damage is an example of a non magical attack that does not involve a weapon.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Playing video of your character's mom and I. It definitely will cause you damage but there's no magic - it was all physical.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

thefakenews posted:

No, resistance never stated that. Check the PHB (p. 197) and the MM (p. 8), resistance simply works against "a damage type".

Specific monster entries do/did claim that their specific resistances only work against non-magical weapons, but that's not the issue here. Sea Soul is not a monster ability, it's a class feature. Meaning it will apply to spells like Blade Barrier, to traps, to falling damage, etc.

On the other hand, I just noticed that Barbarian Rage was never errata'd either. So... I guess WotC really does want resistance to be basically two different rules for (N)PCs and monsters, which mostly overlap but not quite like some kind of weird Venn diagram.

I mean... take a typical Fire Elemental and a raging Barbarian, both of whom just happen to posses 102 hit points. Now throw them both off a cliff which just so happens to deal, say, 160 damage or so. Or something close to that.

The magical incarnation of flame itself will splatter to the ground and die on impact. The human being will stand up and brush himself off, because he's just too angry to be seriously hurt by that fall. Because their resistance abilities simply don't work the same. This is cool from a silly heavy metal point of view, but let's be honest it's also dumb as gently caress.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Is falling an attack?

Like an attack attack, by the ground, on the falling character? Does the ground roll to hit?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Random question but had wizards said how long that expect to run 5E?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Playing video of your character's mom and I. It definitely will cause you damage but there's no magic - it was all physical.

*points to bedroom* "And this is where the slashing/piercing/bludgeoning happens"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

empathe posted:

Random question but had wizards said how long that expect to run 5E?

Probably forever because hiring new people is expensive and theyve fired most of the staff and seem to have backburnered the whole product line.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

Is falling an attack?

Like an attack attack, by the ground, on the falling character? Does the ground roll to hit?

I think character rolls to hit the ground, since the art of flight lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015

P.d0t posted:

Because multiclassing.

One way to solve that is to increase the attunement limit across the board and include a penalty in the first level of magic classes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
or just house rule no multiclassing as gygax intended

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

It really did used to be the case that Fighters were expected to "make up" for their inability to cast magic spells with their ability to use all kinds of magical items.

mastershakeman posted:

or just house rule no multiclassing as gygax intended

"No multiclassing" isn't even a house-rule. It's multiclassing that's an optional rule in 5e.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

It really did used to be the case that Fighters were expected to "make up" for their inability to cast magic spells with their ability to use all kinds of magical items.

"No multiclassing" isn't even a house-rule. It's multiclassing that's an optional rule in 5e.
Things sure were different when loot was a random die roll instead of a wish list submitted to the DM. rogues getting the use magic item was a big deal too, but all of that has faded away into irrelevance

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Sage Genesis posted:

Disappointments all around.

Favoured Soul is... ok-ish but bland as gently caress. There is nothing in there that makes it feel like part of the Sorcerer. This could've been a divine Rogue or cloister-Monk and you'd never be able to tell, because it's just a generic pile of bonuses.

Twinning Cleric spells could be useful a lot of the time I think, or extending the range.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
Fighting-men, the good days when wizards were just pussies with words.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

3 attacks per 2 rounds huh?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

3 attacks per 2 rounds huh?

That's how it worked back in the day. One round you attack twice, the next round you attack once.

This is of course also back in the day when a "round" was a full minute. A single attack roll did not represent a single swing or thrust with a sword; it was a highly abstract representation of how much progression you made over a longer period of time, inherited from its wargaming roots. In such a context you might see why they'd increase their rate of attacks in 50% chunks rather than immediately doubling it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Granting more attacks per round is a "common sense" way to reflect increased combat ability, but granting a second attack outright is a significant jump in "damage-per-round" (specifically, a 100% increase).

AD&D did the "two attacks per three rounds" thing so that it's instead only a 50% increase.

D&D 3e instead made it so that your second attack was at a -5 penalty to try and achieve the same watered-down effect, but in some ways it's a clumsier solution because you're futzing around with yet another modifier, and depending on how your to-hit rates work that second attack is only going to hit on natural 20s.

5e then just gave the Fighter additional attacks outright, but like I said, it causes the "power progression" to go up in explicit tiers/plateaus.

From a higher-level design perspective I wish D&D would just get over the verisimilitude issue and let damage go up purely as a function of character level. It's clear that they're trying to make DPR scale with level by making attack bonuses scale faster than AC, but even that comes to a screeching halt once you're hitting on everything but a natural 1.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Do you guys have any ideas for magic items or weapons for monks? Or any custom made items for a monk?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Things sure were different when loot was a random die roll instead of a wish list submitted to the DM. rogues getting the use magic item was a big deal too, but all of that has faded away into irrelevance

You know you can still do random treasure generation in 5e. Wishlists are dull and boring and give up a lot of narrative potential. Hell, even 4e had it as an option.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

RC Cola posted:

Do you guys have any ideas for magic items or weapons for monks? Or any custom made items for a monk?

Monks can use punchydaggers or bronze knuckles or sacred fistwraps or Meditative Oil of Ki Whoopass +3 or whatever.

Re: earlier discussion on beefy classes:
As long as you don't mind being of extremely limit effectiveness at long range, paladin is excellent and if tournament modules were still a thing then paladins would be in the 'required meta' because of how game-tiltingly good Aura of Courage is. Level 6 paladins totally throw off expected saving throw math, because it applies not only to themselves, infinitely (compare to similar abilities warlocks and fighters can get, but which are limited use) but to allies in a 10-foot radius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A lotus flower. Picking a petal restores 1 Ki point. Not to be used lightly, as these are exceedingly rare.

A (long) strand of spidersteel silk. As the name implies, it's strong enough to support lots of weight, but only the Monk can do certain things with it, such as balancing on it as a rope.

A magical pair of slippers that will fly out and smack someone or something up to 20 feet away at the Monk's will. Combat-wise, it just lets the Monk make an unarmed attack at 20 feet away, but you could also use it to, say, flip a switch that's out of reach, or cause something to tip over at a crucial moment. There's only one pair though, so the Monk has to recover them afterwards.