Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only reason you wouldn't have heard that version is if you didn't play the answer because that's where it plays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Don't play P4G on Hard, the experience gains are so low at the start that you will by necessity have to grind in the first dungeon to get anywhere. It's far better to try Hard on NG+ where you give it all the Hard damage settings (enemies hitting harder, you hitting them softer) but with normal experience gains.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Okay I have another problem with P3's battle system, although I admit this could be a non-issue if there's a way to deal with it.

In Nocturne, DDS and SJ, repel/absorb skills last one turn. You're protected from physical attacks or magic for that one turn and that's it.

In P3, an enemy I fought in Monad that is immune to pretty much every element used the physical repel skill...and it stayed on it forever. I was confused about why Akihiko didn't just punch it but instead Waited his turn out but then I tried attacking the thing and nearly killed myself.

Is there no way to dispel the magic or physical barriers in this game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Is there no way to dispel the magic or physical barriers in this game?

There are Break skills in later games but honestly they're not necessary.

Equip Persona immune to phys/element, hit enemy with attack, nullify the reflection.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There are Break skills in later games but honestly they're not necessary.

Equip Persona immune to phys/element, hit enemy with attack, nullify the reflection.

I have Abaddon but it just feels dumb that the only way to get rid of a defense is to play into the defense.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Does Tetraja not exist in P3/4?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tarezax posted:

Does Tetraja not exist in P3/4?

It does in 4.

NikkolasKing posted:

I have Abaddon but it just feels dumb that the only way to get rid of a defense is to play into the defense.

It's a single defense. It's very common in a lot of games that have a single nullification to use a weak move to remove it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I got bored and started Raidou vs the souless army. Any build tips? Also there's no way to see the original version of your demons in your compendium?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Filled out the Atlus survey. You have to go through a lot of the minutiae about daily media use, interest in various game titles across platforms, etc. before you get to the real important questions.

I pushed for HD remakes of P1/P2 on PS4/Vita, no to a Persona shooter or P5 dancing game, yes on P6, etc.

At the end I mentioned that it'd be nice to explore stories and characters outside of Japanese high school as well, but we all know that's never going to happen.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Neeksy posted:

Filled out the Atlus survey. You have to go through a lot of the minutiae about daily media use, interest in various game titles across platforms, etc. before you get to the real important questions.

I pushed for HD remakes of P1/P2 on PS4/Vita, no to a Persona shooter or P5 dancing game, yes on P6, etc.

At the end I mentioned that it'd be nice to explore stories and characters outside of Japanese high school as well, but we all know that's never going to happen.

Hey we got a Persona game which had a cast of adults and only briefly involved a high school.
And Persona 1 certainly didn't take place in Japan, just a weird American town where they like to play Japanese songs in the pharmacy.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Neeksy posted:

I feel like they'd just shuffle out the non-JPN entries unless you wrote in JPN too. The only thing I'd like would be P6 and a SMT not to be on Switch/3DS so I can rejoin the audience.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I beat P3 and I think I'm dead.

That final boss had cool music so at least I had something to listen to while I spammed Thunder Reign and Megidolaeon. Seems Satan had an even better move but I didn't know that so I never bothered to grind for it. Metatron was enough. Plus Michael's awesome fusion sword.

Anyway, it was...a fun game. Too long though. I hear 4 is even longer however but maybe there's more stuff to do or I'll be motivated to do more stufF.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

P4 is 'longer' but it's better paced so that things are happening at a more consistent rate.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Persona 3 is incredibly backlogged. Like the Aegis equivalent of p4 in story importance happens like 20 hours earlier.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Alder posted:

I feel like they'd just shuffle out the non-JPN entries unless you wrote in JPN too. The only thing I'd like would be P6 and a SMT not to be on Switch/3DS so I can rejoin the audience.

I wrote it in Japanese, considering I had to read it to even do the survey.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

P4 is 'longer' but it's better paced so that things are happening at a more consistent rate.

Especially with the Golden additions.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm downloading Persona 4 Golden. So there's a couple things I understand about the changes they made from PS2 P4 - apparently getting the fishing rod is a bit harder now? And Naoto has like three times as many moves now. So what's a good set for her so I don't accidentally make her useless?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm downloading Persona 4 Golden. So there's a couple things I understand about the changes they made from PS2 P4 - apparently getting the fishing rod is a bit harder now? And Naoto has like three times as many moves now. So what's a good set for her so I don't accidentally make her useless?

The guy who has the fishing rod will tell you he lost his hook. You have to get a bug from a kid at the shrine, then go to the bar at night and feed the bartender's fish to get it. Then you can get the rod.

Naoto can get literally every element and it's easy to cover gaps with your main boy so do whatever you want.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 6, 2017

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

If you want an "optimal" setup, have Naoto learn Bufudyne, because she can get a gun that boosts ice damage. But just going with any one or two elemental skills is fine, because physical/Megidolaon can cover for element-immune enemies.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Hey SMT4A question here. I've never played one of these before. I can just sort of combine demons as I see fit yeah? There's no reason to have one of each of anything like that?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Moochewmoo posted:

Hey SMT4A question here. I've never played one of these before. I can just sort of combine demons as I see fit yeah? There's no reason to have one of each of anything like that?

Always be fusing. If for some reason you want a specific demon back you can pay some macca to summon them out of the compendium.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Moochewmoo posted:

Nope. Generally you want to always be fusing unless you have a particularly strong demon or one with a unique skill you're depending on. (An example of the latter would be Alice and Die For Me!) Levels have a significant impact on demon strength so demons will begin to drop off quickly

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Thanks for the prompt reply. I read I should of played 4 before apocalypse, but so far this seems pretty self explanatory.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Moochewmoo posted:

Thanks for the prompt reply. I read I should of played 4 before apocalypse, but so far this seems pretty self explanatory.

You'll miss some of the impact of things but it isn't that critical to understanding the basic plot.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Last question for now. I read there's a limited amount of App Points. Are they super Constrained or can I more or less buy what I want as long as I play a little attention?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Moochewmoo posted:

Last question for now. I read there's a limited amount of App Points. Are they super Constrained or can I more or less buy what I want as long as I play a little attention?

They are constrained enough that you should focus. You're not going to be able to get more than a fraction of the apps without buying the DLC that lets you grind app points.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, I use a set team of characters in every RPG I play. It's not really a detriment to the gameplay and how much I enjoy it. Like how in DDS I ignored both Cielo and Gale because what do I need a third mage for? I rolled with Argilla and Heat every time I could and I liked it well enough.

OK well, do what you want, but if you play every RPG exactly the same including ones that actively want you to play differently, don't be surprised when you run into problems. Games give you character choices for a reason.

quote:

I might do that. I've already been advised to play P4G on the highest difficulty because it's too easy.

Others already covered this but I wouldn't really recommend the highest difficulty. I play on Hard and it takes a little grinding here and there but it spices things up at least.

quote:

You cannot refresh buffs. That was not a thing until Persona 4 Golden from what I've read.

Oops! Yes you're right. I'm replaying P4G right now -- game's still awesome -- so I forgot all about that.

Having said that I can't recall ever getting mad about buffs/debuffs in my replays of P3P. If you play the game in a reasonable way it's pretty easy to have enough options to handle a lot of different contingencies.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Any of said SMT:A dlc worth buying?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't believe it's Winter 2014 next week

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Moochewmoo posted:

Any of said SMT:A dlc worth buying?

The optional boss fights are fun but finicky. The cheat stuff is largely meh. You'll hit max level just by playing the game. The only one maybe worth it is Apps and only if you want to try out gimmick poo poo that otherwise isn't worth points.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Terper posted:

I can't believe it's Winter 2014 this April

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

thorsilver posted:

OK well, do what you want, but if you play every RPG exactly the same including ones that actively want you to play differently, don't be surprised when you run into problems. Games give you character choices for a reason.

Well let me ask you this then, as well as the rest of the thread if they care enough.

Don't you only use the characters you like? If you hate a character and they aren't mandatory/ridiculously stronger than everyone else, why not bench them forever?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I typically use everybody, because I came to Persona 3 and 4 after playing Pokemon and I'm used to leveling up my team equally there. Persona 3 also had a few Tartarus bosses with ridiculously specific immunity sets, so it's nice to plug in a team that, let's say, only does Pierce damage, without having to grind anyone. It's also nice in P3P and P4 if your first team runs out of SP, you can switch them out for other characters and keep going.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I use a select group of characters, but I also experiment on occasion because I do not like approaching games with the exact same approach on multiple playthroughs and god knows I played P4 too much to not change up my team on occasion. Playing games in the same binary way bores me and pisses me off after a while and it's good Persona has like character diversity, especially in 5 when p much every character is useful in some way or another because it makes the games more replayable to me.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Well let me ask you this then, as well as the rest of the thread if they care enough.

Don't you only use the characters you like? If you hate a character and they aren't mandatory/ridiculously stronger than everyone else, why not bench them forever?

If I truly hated a character I guess I'd not bother using them. However, nine times out of ten, I've had more fun with RPGs and games in general when I force myself to change my tactics and try something new now and then, if only to keep the combat fresh rather than it necessarily working better than my previous setup. Plus, when I've run into difficulty, particularly in Persona 3/4 it's usually because I haven't bothered changing my setup of Personas/teammates in a while, and there's other ones much better suited to whatever problem I'm facing. Nobody's saying you can't have a preferred team you use most of the time - I certainly do, even if it's something I try to avoid - but changing things up every so often to keep things from going stale is hardly much of an imposition.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

It depends on the game, but if a game is built around the idea of character swapping then of course I'll use different characters. Like in SMT in general I can't just use my favorite demons but instead have to keep putting new ones in because that is what the combat system calls for.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It depends on the game in question ; does the game punish you by making it difficult to change party members as you go, or does it let you catch up with a relative minimum of fuss?

Everyone is going to have a preferred set of characters, but not all games let you get away with only using them. SMT and the various flavors of Press Turn punish you for trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Perseinfeld is still so, so strangely good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJi5C3JVlFY

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Tortolia posted:

It depends on the game in question ; does the game punish you by making it difficult to change party members as you go, or does it let you catch up with a relative minimum of fuss?

Everyone is going to have a preferred set of characters, but not all games let you get away with only using them. SMT and the various flavors of Press Turn punish you for trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Party members at lower levels gain more experience. So if you were to take a level 17 Junpei and have him in a fight with level 60 monsters he would gain monstrous amounts of EXP.

Of course I'm one of those people who obsessively makes sure all of their party members are around the same level, the concept of a party member being twenty levels lower makes me break out in hives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

ManlyGrunting posted:

Party members at lower levels gain more experience. So if you were to take a level 17 Junpei and have him in a fight with level 60 monsters he would gain monstrous amounts of EXP.

Of course I'm one of those people who obsessively makes sure all of their party members are around the same level, the concept of a party member being twenty levels lower makes me break out in hives.

Not only this, but any off-chance of the game throwing a "but thou must" scenario to force party members on you. I guess reading walkthroughs beforehand might help, but I've recently been trying to play RPGs blind again. It's a fine line between fun and frustration.