Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

DJ Dizzy posted:

Good, sure. Still failing to see the powerful part of it. Especially compared to some other legions like WS, EC, SoH and TS.

The Deathsworn are pretty drat powerful for their points. Guaranteed 4 power axe attacks that wound on 2s thanks to dirt cheap rad grenades. Also get artificer armour, defensive grenades, and practically free power fists.

Im sure that you pay for them with the various army building taxes that SW seem to suffer, but at face value the Deathsworn Pack are incredible.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Iron Warrior supremacy. What were the other top armies?

1st was a Scoria list with I think 3 pairs of Arlatax, the homonculex, min castellax, and some tech thralls in triaros. I think, I never saw the list. 2nd was my second round opponent with emperors children, a falchion, outflanking tacticals, and allied questoris Knights, a warden seneshal, paladin sion, and castigator arbalester. Didn't see the rest of them, but there were enough LoW+ questoris allies that the TO told me he was considering making it as you either take knight allies or a LoW. Not both because they were just running train and the rest of the game wasn't really ready for it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Questoris is the only real broken list in 30k, for the same reason it's busted in 40k. That's probably my biggest disappointment in that FW allowed it to be a 'standard army'. It should be by agreement only, like shattered legions.

Recoome posted:

I'm sizing up the Space Wolves against the Emperor's Children, and really I have no loving clue what the hell they are complaining about. The legion rules for SW are great (+1 WS on the charge, counterattack) which are pretty good against anything without dedicated CC rules/sonic shriekers. Grey Slayers loving own bones and can can run/charge which is sick as gently caress. Wowzers.

EC are one my the legions I feel have always had the most situational rules. They're probably hurt the worst by the power creep. The wolves do the EC gimmick, basically, but better in most respects.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 6, 2017

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

Good, sure. Still failing to see the powerful part of it. Especially compared to some other legions like WS, EC, SoH and TS.

Leman Russ is in the conversation for having the best primarch rules.

In smaller games, gray slayers kick rear end and are pretty much a direct improvement on tac squads, which are normally something people really contort themselves to avoid sinking points into. Getting a real possibility of 1st turn charges is no joke, and taking a blob in a storm eagle or even on foot is a really nice base to an army. Deathsworn are an awesome elite choice and are incredibly threatening to most other elite choice infantry.

The main SW drawbacks seem to be the rigid HQ and troop taxes-- you're not really able to squeeze your army into a bunch of tactical possibilities and a good number of popular generic RoW choices are closed off to you. That said, if you're interested in assaulting with large amounts of semi-elite troops, the legion seems incredible and the RoWs both really support it. They're not a tactically flexible legion but they seem great at doing their thing.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
My main issue is how the heck do I remove armor like dreads or knights?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

Leman Russ's axe seems like a good start.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Knights can just dance around him. The axe isnt really reliable. Yeah sunder is nice, but its still 5+ glance and 6 to pen.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

If you put him in a Caestus or Dreadclaw they'll have a hard time escaping.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

Heavy weapons squads w/ lascannons, vindicator squadrons, a leviathan, etc etc etc. Artillery is good and cheap but there's plenty of anti-armor available in your HS slots.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

Even accounting for the RoW that only allows one heavy support slot, you've still got all of the same options as any normal legion. Melta vets or seekers, chainfists, your own dreadnoughts, land speeders, lightnings, etc., etc. Space Wolves even get a few combi-weapons in grey slayer squads and Deathsworn will always be able to strike with their melta bombs. That last bit's assuming you're ignoring the one grenade rule though.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Heavy weapons squads w/ lascannons, vindicator squadrons, a leviathan, etc etc etc. Artillery is good and cheap but there's plenty of anti-armor available in your HS slots.
:haw:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DJ Dizzy posted:

You have the same problem most armies have. Grav is your friend.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah. I suppose. I'm just having a hard time finding points for it when I am required to take 3 HQs and 2 units of grey slayers.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Play 2,999 points.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I think the SW are "bad" if you try and treat the grey slayers/HQ choices as a tax rather than the core of you army. Get used to taking big blobs of baby veterans in spartans and storm eagles and a lot of stuff starts clicking into place.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I think the SW are "bad" if you try and treat the grey slayers/HQ choices as a tax rather than the core of you army. Get used to taking big blobs of baby veterans in spartans and storm eagles and a lot of stuff starts clicking into place.

I have a crippling and intense dislike for spartans.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't know why you'd take a spartan instead of another 20 man squad. They cost the same and you can already charge turn 1 and definitely turn 2. Just throw more bodies into the fire. Besides going up against an Iron Fire list I doubt somebody will kill 60 marines in one turn

It is true that SW are bad, they just don't have bad rules

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

You cant charge turn one. You get -1 to the charge range if you use warriors mettle.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

BULBASAUR posted:

Questoris is the only real broken list in 30k, for the same reason it's busted in 40k. That's probably my biggest disappointment in that FW allowed it to be a 'standard army'. It should be by agreement only, like shattered legions.

EC are one my the legions I feel have always had the most situational rules. They're probably hurt the worst by the power creep. The wolves do the EC gimmick, basically, but better in most respects.

it's like playing Iron Warriors all over again

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

You cant charge turn one. You get -1 to the charge range if you use warriors mettle.

Hunter's Gait gives them +1" runs so it cancels out. Mathematically unlikely but not totally impossible.

And with their Warlord Trait I guess you could declare a Wooolf! and mitigate the risk a bit.

panascope fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 6, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm still not really seeing the problem, you want to have a legion which is good at deleting heavy units in shooting WHILE STILL be able to assault the way they do?

Like idk man SW are an infantry assault legion it seems to just roll with that. I think Spartans are cool so

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The legion which can easily get turn one assaults with any assault vehicle (if only there was a Rite of War which let you take hella Land's Raiders), is actually bad, and gay.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

panascope posted:

The legion which can easily get turn one assaults with any assault vehicle (if only there was a Rite of War which let you take hella Land's Raiders), is actually bad, and gay.

Well you see I play vlka fenryka because i actually have the soul of a wolf,

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

panascope posted:

World Eaters can get chainaxes for free

I'd be playing World Eaters but painting white gives me nightmares

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
I accidentally posted this Mk1 Terminator inspired heavy Custodes dread in the 40k thread. Oh well.
Edit: Imgur album of stuff from the weekend, https://imgur.com/a/YEVAZ featuring shooty custodes, grav tank annihilators, guns akimbo legion moritat, etc.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 6, 2017

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Recoome posted:

it's like playing Iron Warriors all over again

Excuse me sir. Did you call the emperors workmen? We work 9-5 for the emperor (besides our required break periods)

We heard you needed some holes drilled?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That Mk1 Terminator dread owns, but I think we'll be getting fourteen inch dreads in two years at this rate.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That Mk1 Terminator dread owns, but I think we'll be getting fourteen inch dreads in two years at this rate.

Extra pic not in that album. I love it, now I want to see FW's take on the saturnine armor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Extra pic not in that album. I love it, now I want to see FW's take on the saturnine armor.

Yeahhh, just shrink that down to marine size and sell me a thousand of them.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
I love dreads of all shapes and sizes but that thing is fugly af

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I keep thinking Emperor's Children when I see Aquilias errywhere.

I think EC's should've gone more with something which wasn't the eagle

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Uh, I hate to go off brand with something that isn't poo poo posting, but my partner got me an amazing birthday gift. After cleverly discovering (1) the legion I like and (2) something I wanted for it, I received this:

15th Legion markings and paint scheme!

All the options!

Everything is magnetized!

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I took a glamor shot of Ahriman (not part of birthday gift), because he thinks the natural lighting in my room makes his helmet look fat:

his force axe is broken =(

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
And here's the imgur album that came with the gift:

https://imgur.com/a/OwnZg

Gato The Elder fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 7, 2017

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hell ya welcome to the best dreadnought club m8

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Had a good hobby day. Besides finishing the murder drill conversion I've been trying to get right for a few months, I also smashed together a powerful Iron Warriors bunker. The techno doodads are the void shield and the radio dishes the com relay:

Fully magnetized of course:

This kit is mostly straight up from Quantum Gothic. Never ordered from them before, and if it wasn't for their bunker looking so cool, I'd never have gotten in. Unfortunate there are no other cool looking bunkers. This said, I'm seriously impressed with the kit. It came with no mold lines, no release agent, and all the magnets were already installed.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Those leviathans own.

And that drill is perfect :allears:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Whoa it came with magnets pre-installed? gently caress that's cool.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

"Relax, this is only a drill." -Me, like 50 times by turn 3

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Bunker owns, drillnought owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
When does Inferno go up for order on the Forgeworld store?