Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Breetai posted:

Refresh my memory; an instance is in effect the 'observable universe' of a player in a game, i.e. the area within a game that their actions can immediately see and affect, right? So all of this poo poo about porous and meshed instances is a load of bullshit by definition, yeah?

You can easily have a player see that something is in another instance, since we're talking instances that are location based. Some MMOs, like eve, even let you know exactly what is, and where it is, in an instance, given the correct tools.

However, no, you can't actually have people see into instances or interact with them in real time. That defeats the entire point of an instance.

intardnation posted:

who cries when they cut an onion?

Protip: put your onion in the microwave for 15-30 seconds first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: Marketing less effective than Driv3r

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgOnyIt9_ic&t=685s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEQOv2g0JA

Lord_NeckBeard
Oct 26, 2015

aleksendr posted:

No direct sources and i'm not telling this as facts.

The original discussion was about the possibility of Frontier having got the IP for a new Star Wars space game. I chimed in and said that probably only EA, Msoft or Activision-Blizzard had the ammount of money Disney would ask for the right for a SW games, ending with a mention that Disney seem to have few interest in videogames after it closed its interactive studio in 2015.

The Agent replied that plenty of SW games are comming, but i remarked that all of them aside from Lego SW where from EA or Its subsidiaries.

I have no specific on the licensing term EA got from Lucasfilm, but they had to have one before the purchase by Disney in Oct 2012 since SWOTOR was released in December 2011.

Since the purchase, no studio (according to wikipedia) outside of EA, its subsidiaries or Disney interactive (since closed down) has released a Starwars Game on the current trilogy while the IP is at its hottest. Why ? The only exception is the upcoming Lego games, a very family friendly title.

The only theory i can come up why nobody is touching the current trilogy or rogue one is that EA has currently the right to produce SW video games covering everything pre Disney purchase due to its pre-sale deal with Lucasfilm, deal that probably had a time limit and will expire someday. Disney has not sold the "new" Ip (or nobody can come up with the money they ask for) rights for games yet. I think that the curent gaming crowd is not family friendly enough for Disney taste and they dont want to release anything on the new IP only to have a nude mods for Rey and yaoi of Poe available to download the next day.

How wil Disney re-negotiate the IP is unknow but they seem to have no interest in games for the current or future trilogy.

My understanding is Disney just chose to deal with 2 developers to make everything easier and cheaper. EA can make plenty of start wars games.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

EA can make plenty of start wars games.

It's about time WOPR got its own licensed game.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Tippis posted:

It's about time WOPR got its own licensed game.

They called it DEFCON, I think

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

EmesiS posted:

Has Lethality doomed this with a tweet yet?
https://www.starcontrol.com

If not, old fuckers rejoice.

Oh wow! This looks nice! Kind of reminds me of Spore. Another one that deserves a remake is Starflight. Please Stardock make it happen! :ohdear:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Wasn't there another quote that said he was going to reveal something so damning that it would 100% guarantee legal action? Sigh - those were the good times.

Yes. And that's why people like us have good (you wouldn't know anything about that) attorneys as a buffer. It's no fun being sued; especially if you're on the defensive right off the bat in trying to justify it. It's a lot of paperwork, aggravation and money. Even if it gets tossed.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Foo Diddley posted:

They called it DEFCON, I think

But they had to wait until today before Star Citizen made it a truly fidelicious experience.

The only winning move is not to play.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

The only winning move is not to pay.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

EmesiS posted:

Has Lethality doomed this with a tweet yet?
https://www.starcontrol.com

If not, old fuckers rejoice.

Don't rejoice so soon. By the looks of things, none of the alien races will be from the original game. Apparently, it's part of the "Star Control multiverse" and doesn't have anything to do with the first three games.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Throughout the history of the internet people have told themselves "I'm going to be the one that gets into an internet argument with Derek Smart, owns him hardcore and shuts him up once and for all" and every single one that has tried have all gone through with their attempts in exactly the same ways. You've seen it most recently on Reddit with his weird stalky fanclub, or with guys like MoMA. Hell you saw it with Chris Roberts. Now you're seeing it with Batgirl!

He's very clearly still around for a reason you stupid fucks

Holy jesus and almost every single one declares how funny it is to them how they get exactly the response out of Derek they want. That's a loving lie. Anyone who says something like that actually wants him to gently caress off up a tree and never come down again. They want him to stop posting and hope that he goes "Well I won't give you the satisfaction!" and storm off when they try to act like they've master manipulated him into saying exactly what they want. It doesn't work. It's like watching an ever increasing number of people try to put out a fire with their hands, with each one is going "Hah! Those idiots couldn't do it because their hands aren't big enough! Mine are larger and I'm going to spit on them so they're moist! I'll show this fire who's boss!"

heh funny thing is, I posted this PSA on my Facebook wall today. :grin:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I wish I had some reason to be Derek's facebook friend. I think that would really boost my FUD-spreading resume. After all, it's all about who you know :D

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

D_Smart posted:

heh funny thing is, I posted this PSA on my Facebook wall today. :grin:

Not for nothing, but you DO have some serious crybabies on your page that poo poo it up to the point where the block function needs to be hot keyed lol.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I wish I had some reason to be Derek's facebook friend. I think that would really boost my FUD-spreading resume. After all, it's all about who you know :D

:getin:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait are we back to fighting about recipes now? Awesome, that means B_of_inforedux making his triumphant return is right around the corner, according to my charts!

Parp is a flat circle.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I appreciate the Archering good friend.

A while ago Batgirl (the one who interviews Ben and gets him to basically mumble and gently caress up every single time on the most basic of questions) tried to get into a twitter fight with Derek because he directly quoted her, then backed out saying she got what she wanted from it or proved her point or something inane. It's a thing that happens every now and again.

Yeah, it was over the Squadron 42 console discussion. I wrote extensively about that here, along with my spat with her. Shortly after she offered to interview me to get my side of the Star Citizen story. It never happened.

Breetai posted:

Refresh my memory; an instance is in effect the 'observable universe' of a player in a game, i.e. the area within a game that their actions can immediately see and affect, right? So all of this poo poo about porous and meshed instances is a load of bullshit by definition, yeah?

No, an instance is a full session copy of the ENTIRE game. Think of an instance as it's own standalone game copy containing all the clients. In the case of SC, the max client count before it falls over is 16.

So, with their cloud servers (GCE to AWS) they can spin up instances in much the same way that you can setup a game server on any service (e.g. https://www. pingperfect.com)

What croberts has been - hilariously - promising, are "1000 client instances". We're still laughing.

He was also touting "inter-instance" communications between instances (e.g. Instance1 <-> Instance2) in order to form a single cohesive universe. Which of course is patently impossible with modern tech. Heck, not even Eve, let alone Frontier, have been able to do it. So basically players in Instance1, won't be able to see or interact with players in Instance2 - and vice versa.

Those rear end-clowns talking about how a capital ship is going to be its own instance, don't have a loving clue what they're talking about.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Just happened across this in the Android store , not sure why it's in my recommended list. Better burn this phone now

So only 10k people have downloaded a cig created app , out of let's be generous and say 500k android users ? Assuming 500k apple users with a smattering of windows and blackberry

Seems a bit low to me, any thoughts Derek ?

Might help to confirm their obviously padded citizen numbers

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Milky Moor posted:

Don't rejoice so soon. By the looks of things, none of the alien races will be from the original game. Apparently, it's part of the "Star Control multiverse" and doesn't have anything to do with the first three games.

Well that puts it into questionable territory because 3 was really bad. :(

I'll hope for the best though! If they have planetary exploration or mining like Starflight that'd be super cool. I really loved just going out and exploring and colonizing and upgrading the whip. Make more! :3:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The Titanic posted:

Well that puts it into questionable territory because 3 was really bad. :(

I'll hope for the best though! If they have planetary exploration or mining like Starflight that'd be super cool. I really loved just going out and exploring and colonizing and upgrading the whip. Make more! :3:

Yeah. :(

I was a big fan of Star Control, so, I immediately scoured that site for any sort of hard info. There's plenty of stuff where they're saying it's a full reboot without admitting as such. It feels like one of those cynical 'using the name for a different idea' franchises. Like, without the Ur-Quan and the Spathi and the Orz and so on, what makes it Star Control?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sappo569 posted:

Just happened across this in the Android store , not sure why it's in my recommended list. Better burn this phone now

So only 10k people have downloaded a cig created app , out of let's be generous and say 500k android users ? Assuming 500k apple users with a smattering of windows and blackberry

It's low because most backers know their pledge was just to help CIG build a multinational, multilayered mega corporation that makes YouTube videos and a crysis mod.

If their account is stolen it's really ok with them because their money still went to CIG, so game development can continue. They really are just kind benefactors not wanting anything for $$$$$'s of their hard earned and government dispensed earnings.

The end result of a AAAA game is all they want. Such good guys and girls with hearts of gold. :allears:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah. :(

I was a big fan of Star Control, so, I immediately scoured that site for any sort of hard info. There's plenty of stuff where they're saying it's a full reboot without admitting as such. It feels like one of those cynical 'using the name for a different idea' franchises. Like, without the Ur-Quan and the Spathi and the Orz and so on, what makes it Star Control?

It sounds like this thing of trying to cash in on old franchises is a fad these days. I didn't dig into it that deeply but from the video, it really did look like a game that can actually be built. It won't be the second coming but if it's fun it'll be good for a $15. I did see they wanted >$30 for it though. I guess good luck with that. :)

I hope they make it, though it seems like the Star Control name is only used for getting the game noticed by an audience.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Good news to all you iPhone users, the RSI app is also available on the App Store. And I looked over the screenshots to see if it looked legit.

Judging by this, it's 100% au-loving-thentic CIG software. I'd nab it now because it's gonna be a collectors item fast!

Also counting the days it takes before they fix this. :cheers:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Breetai posted:

The way I think of it is basically the way WoW uses it for dungeons. Each dungeon run is a separate instance, and only people within that instance can see and interact with it. Other groups are, naturally, placed in another instance of the dungeon. Hell, they've even extended that tech to the overworld at this point, so the game can spin up multiple instances of overworld zones to balance population.

In any case, you cannot see players who are in a different instance than you, even if they are, technically, standing right next to you. You can even pull another player into your instance by inviting them to a group, but in that case you're simply changing what instance they're in, not letting them look into one other than the one they're in.

So basically, if the larger ships were an instance of their own, you wouldn't be able to see anything outside of the ship except the environment; other players would not show up at all. For that matter, other players wouldn't even be able to see your gigantic ship, because it wouldn't be in their instance!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

The Titanic posted:

Good news to all you iPhone users, the RSI app is also available on the App Store. And I looked over the screenshots to see if it looked legit.

Judging by this, it's 100% au-loving-thentic CIG software. I'd nab it now because it's gonna be a collectors item fast!

Also counting the days it takes before they fix this. :cheers:

The Apple appstore version only has four reviews. Please be a gentleship and offer your kind and encouraging feedback after experiencing the app's fidelity :allears:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Quavers posted:

The Apple appstore version only has four reviews. Please be a gentleship and offer your kind and encouraging feedback after experiencing the app's fidelity :allears:

Unfortunately I won't actually download this ransomware product. :shrug:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm not sure Rodrigo understands the concept of irony

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sappo569 posted:

I'm not sure Rodrigo understands the concept of irony

Dumb question, is this app basically for two factor authentication purposes?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sappo569 posted:

I think it's just that most people don't want to be bothered with 2FA. Until they get hacked.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Dumb question, is this app basically for two factor authentication purposes?

Yes

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Some days I just enjoy kicking the hornets nest.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Shadowlyger posted:

So basically, if the larger ships were an instance of their own, you wouldn't be able to see anything outside of the ship except the environment; other players would not show up at all. For that matter, other players wouldn't even be able to see your gigantic ship, because it wouldn't be in their instance!
The 'idea' is that the inside of the ship is instanced, but not the outside - so that way you can have a dozen people running around jerking off in wankpods but outside the ship only the important things like laser fire and direction needs to be conveyed. It's retarded because instancing (at least in the WoW sense) is not at all the appropriate tool for a weird hybrid occlusion culling and gameplay.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Shadowlyger posted:

The way I think of it is basically the way WoW uses it for dungeons. Each dungeon run is a separate instance, and only people within that instance can see and interact with it. Other groups are, naturally, placed in another instance of the dungeon. Hell, they've even extended that tech to the overworld at this point, so the game can spin up multiple instances of overworld zones to balance population.

In any case, you cannot see players who are in a different instance than you, even if they are, technically, standing right next to you. You can even pull another player into your instance by inviting them to a group, but in that case you're simply changing what instance they're in, not letting them look into one other than the one they're in.

I'm staggered by CIG's claim that they're going to be creating "windows" so you can see across instances. Absolutely staggered. I'm not claiming the tech is technically impossible - I'm claiming it's impossible for CIG to develop it, much less deploy it into this piece of poo poo that passes for a game in their version of reality.

It would take far more computing resources to create such a "window" than it would to just jam everyone in the same instance in the first place. Even if you use the power in the machines.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 7, 2017

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, it was over the Squadron 42 console discussion. I wrote extensively about that here, along with my spat with her. Shortly after she offered to interview me to get my side of the Star Citizen story. It never happened.

You know, if Batgirl wanted to boost her numbers on YouTube, getting an interview with you would really help her. Ask simple, objective questions, and most would eat it up. Controversy as told from a neutrality is devoured by both sides.

Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy what Batgirl could do with her YouTube, I think she's in too deep to want to dabble in these waters. Then again, can't blame her, after all, the Star Citizen community is the most friendliest, welcoming group of people there is.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

I think it's just that most people don't want to be bothered with 2FA. Until they get hacked.

"get hacked"

It's password re-use or phishing. There's no hacking involved.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Truga posted:

"get hacked"

It's password re-use or phishing. There's no hacking involved.

I was speaking in general terms; not specifically about the Star Citizen app.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hacking is breaching computer security. It doesn't matter whether you do it through buggy software or by the exponentially easier exploitation of lovely wetware.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

nawledgelambo posted:

You know, if Batgirl wanted to boost her numbers on YouTube, getting an interview with you would really help her. Ask simple, objective questions, and most would eat it up. Controversy as told from a neutrality is devoured by both sides.

Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy what Batgirl could do with her YouTube, I think she's in too deep to want to dabble in these waters. Then again, can't blame her, after all, the Star Citizen community is the most friendliest, welcoming group of people there is.

"Batgirl" is in no way at all the journalist that she thinks or claims she is. She has no interest whatsoever in being neutral about this situation. Her entire entity is wrapped up in promoting Star Citizen and when you watch those videos where she tries to be "critical" she is still waving her pom poms. Derek would dominate her and the narrative immediately. But you are correct, the viewership would be off the charts. I think it would be loving hysterical for Pgabz to do a series of these with Derek and whatever shitizen shill they could round up for Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya7mwQYeICQ

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

intardnation posted:

didnt know that. Garlic is nasty poo poo though. Gives me a migraine in 2 secs flat.

That sucks. Garlic is like the best seasoning ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

DapperDon posted:

"Batgirl" is in no way at all the journalist that she thinks or claims she is. She has no interest whatsoever in being neutral about this situation. Her entire entity is wrapped up in promoting Star Citizen and when you watch those videos where she tries to be "critical" she is still waving her pom poms. Derek would dominate her and the narrative immediately. But you are correct, the viewership would be off the charts. I think it would be loving hysterical for Pgabz to do a series of these with Derek and whatever shitizen shill they could round up for Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya7mwQYeICQ

I get what you're saying here, but I'd argue that the time for neutrality has passed. When a situation is uncertain, then good journalism warrants looking at the issue from multiple sides. However, once any given situation matures and the facts surrounding it solidify, there is no longer a such a thing as neutrality - there is fact, and there is fiction. Two years ago there was an argument to be made both for and against CIG. Last year the wheels started to come off. Today - well, put a fork in it.

There is no way to be neutral about CIG and be realistic at the same time. That's bush-league journalism - the kind of poo poo you read on MMORPG.com, where no dumpster fire is bad or hot enough to call it as it is. Were Batgirl to actually accurately assess what's going on with this project, she'd wind up posting here with the rest of us. And having a far better time than she is right now, all things considered.