Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

woah gently caress a dungeon meshi anime im on board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
:same:, incredibly excited for that

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hot take, if you didn't change anything about it other the name of the animation studio (and I guess retroactively removing the previous two OVAs from existence) everyone would think Little Witch Academia TV was kind of mediocre.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Hot take, if you didn't change anything about it other the name of the animation studio (and I guess retroactively removing the previous two OVAs from existence) everyone would think Little Witch Academia TV was kind of mediocre.

I might think that if you ACTUALLY changed the animation studio, because the animation is decisively my favorite thing about it, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit despite not having any particular attachment to Trigger and not having watched the OVAs.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

the broom race and twilight episodes were good, but yeah it's not really grabbing me other than having great expressive animation. maybe if akko gets a shred of competence or self-awareness soon it'll look up, but it feels like it's just going to edge closer to lwa2.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nate RFB posted:

no??? people would still like the fun show even if an animation studio with an honestly pretty mixed reputation in this subforum wasn't attached

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This newest episode was mostly outsourced... so you're somewhat correct. But I think you're wrong to suggest at least some of the previous episodes weren't genuinely great, and also I think you're ignoring that the studio label is important in giving people confidence that a show isn't just say, using up all its time and good animators in the first episodes and will soon fall apart.

It's a 8/10 show for me.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 7, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

it's got consistently inventive animation and some pretty good comedy, and even a couple of sweet moments

it's nothing amazing but it's a good show

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

the broom race and twilight episodes were good, but yeah it's not really grabbing me other than having great expressive animation. maybe if akko gets a shred of competence or self-awareness soon it'll look up, but it feels like it's just going to edge closer to lwa2.

I'll agree that I'm definitely waiting for Akko to show some actual competence. She doesn't need to start kicking rear end or anything, but she's kind of just been a load since episode 2.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Trigger needs to make more Turning Girls.

Hell, just make it the epilogue of LWA.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if lwa was a random anime from a random studio people would probably just be saying "yo this anime is actually pretty cute and fun"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'll agree that I'm definitely waiting for Akko to show some actual competence. She doesn't need to start kicking rear end or anything, but she's kind of just been a load since episode 2.

just as an example, her riding up to chase the dragons on a separate broom from amanda would've been nice. i don't need her to consistently solve story problems like in ep2, but just small signs that she's getting basic magic would kinda temper the worry that she's just going to stagnate.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Colonel posted:

if lwa was a random anime from a random studio people would probably just be saying "yo this anime is actually pretty cute and fun"

i think people would still have criticisms of it, whether it was trigger or not. the guy phrased his point obnoxiously but it's not like the show doesn't have things people might dislike

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

just as an example, her riding up to chase the dragons on a separate broom from amanda would've been nice. i don't need her to consistently solve story problems like in ep2, but just small signs that she's getting basic magic would kinda temper the worry that she's just going to stagnate.

Yeah. It didn't actively hinder anyone in the episode, but it was still a little irritating that she hadn't progressed at all on something that's been established to be so basic.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm actually assuming at this point that her inability to use the broom is some sort of plot device right now. Probably related to the Shiny Rod.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Primarily I think the first OVA's popularity has been propelling that property further beyond its weight class. It seemed to work quite as that initial, quirky, cute little thing but the more they try to flesh it out the less it works. Ever since the second OVA Akko has been a particularly awful and irritating MC and I truly can't see myself able to ever root for her. If anything it's far more satisfying in the eps so far where Diana has to bail her out. Give the spotlight to Sucy or heck even Diana, they're much more interesting.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im more annoyed by seemingly everyone but diana being idiots

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean has anyone been acting like lwa is saving anime? it seems to be just another show people kind of like and then will forget about. like new game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
excuse me, but new game saved tri-ace

and by that i mean it just gave me a reason to be okay with star ocean 4 existing

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Maidragon is saving anime so LWA doesn't have to

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's okay. Things can be good but ephemeral.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I was under the impression that anime was already saved, years ago.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

when will we be saved from this awful meme

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dogsicle posted:

There's no escape.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anime doesn't seem to be in desperate need of saving IMO

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

let's deconstruct it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Goku

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anime is over

now it is shin anime

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fangz posted:

Maidragon is saving anime so LWA doesn't have to

Maidragon isn't even the best monster woman anime this season.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anime doesn't seem to be in desperate need of saving IMO

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

let's deconstruct it

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Awful Memes 1.11: You Can (Not) Deconstruct

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
well i for one think little witch academia is loving delightful

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Homura and Sickle posted:

well i for one think little witch academia is loving delightful

:same:

I give it a Thumbs Up/10.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
but... anime refused to change

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

but... anime refused to change

Anime changes all the time, there's just a bunch of steam and/or rays of light that get in the way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Maidragon isn't even the best monster woman anime this season.

Eh. Demi-chan keeps sticking these little harem elements in its story of a guy being a surrogate dad to three adorable monster-girl daughters, and it comes across as way more unsettling than an actual, straight-up harem romcom would. Pick a genre and stick with it, guys, because the two just don't mesh.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I could've sworn everyone was saying beforehand, "oh it s really not a harem, Demi-chan just wants to talk."

makes me lol that people think it's unsettling when it's most innocent harem-lite I've seen outside of Manga Time Kirara though. they touched his forearms! scandalous.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh. Demi-chan keeps sticking these little harem elements in its story of a guy being a surrogate dad to three adorable monster-girl daughters, and it comes across as way more unsettling than an actual, straight-up harem romcom would. Pick a genre and stick with it, guys, because the two just don't mesh.

He's not a surrogate dad, he's a teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

He's not a surrogate dad, he's a teacher.

Eh, you know what I mean. He's very much placed as the main responsible male adult in their lives in everything from his character design to his voice-acting, creating a distance that makes the harem elements that creep through anyway feel so much weirder. More conventional teacher-student harem shows tend to de-emphasise that gap, creating a fantasy world where the situation isn't as weird as it would be in real life, while Demi-chan spends most of its time laying out that yes, he's an adult, and yes, they're children, and yes, that's how they'll be treated respectively, and then every so often goes 'but they're kind of legit romantic prospects anyway'.

• Locked thread