Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Kirios posted:

Worst part about that Super Bowl is Patriots fans turning into neverending shitlords.

implying we weren't before somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kirios posted:

Worst part about that Super Bowl is Patriots fans turning into neverending shitlords.

when did we start talking about the eagles super bowl

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kirios posted:

There was a time when Patriot fan wern't neverending shitlords but that was in like 1999.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Kirios posted:

- 2/2/04

Also suck my dick

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

- 2/2/04

Also suck my dick

What does your birthday have anything to do with this?

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Maybe teams that piss away a 25 point lead don't deserve to win the Super Bowl and teams that win the Super Bowl do?

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER
I hope I'm not a shitlord. Honestly, being a fan of Boston sports has been an incredible unearned ride since I was a little boy watching Larry Bird and reading about Bill Russell. I hope that every one of you gets to experience the exultation of a championship, or multiple championships.

I am at a loss for words. What I saw that team do last night is beyond my powers of expression. I hope that every single one of you gets to have this experience. It is actually very humbling if you're honest with yourself. These champions show us what is possible.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Belichick has coached in nearly 1/5th of all Super Bowls ever played. This blows my mind.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Larch posted:

I hope I'm not a shitlord. Honestly, being a fan of Boston sports has been an incredible unearned ride since I was a little boy watching Larry Bird and reading about Bill Russell. I hope that every one of you gets to experience the exultation of a championship, or multiple championships.

I am at a loss for words. What I saw that team do last night is beyond my powers of expression. I hope that every single one of you gets to have this experience. It is actually very humbling if you're honest with yourself. These champions show us what is possible.

From the bottom of my heart I genuinely hope everyone can feel how good it feels to win a super bowl at least once in their life. Just one time I think everyone deserves it. Then I want them to wake up from their dream and go back to their miserable sport watching existence. Sincerely.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I'm guessing this might have been asked in here, but does anyone have a copy-paste of the Matt Ryan SAS wiki entry? really want to show my friend.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I opened up my ipad and the last page on TFF i had loaded was about halfway through the third quarter and we were laughing at the blowout and sad tom brady images

We were young

We were dumb

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blitz7x posted:

I opened up my ipad and the last page on TFF i had loaded was about halfway through the third quarter and we were laughing at the blowout and sad tom brady images

We were young

We were dumb

Sounds like a whole lot of people counting out Touchdown Tommy

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Blitz7x posted:

We were young

We were dumb

the edelman catch appears to be the exact second everyone accepted the inevitable in the gdt

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

a neat cape posted:

Sounds like a whole lot of people counting out Touchdown Tommy

what will be even funnier is when a couple writers don't vote him into the HOF because he "cheated" or some other dumb poo poo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

extendedsolo posted:

what will be even funnier is when a couple writers don't vote him into the HOF because he "cheated" or some other dumb poo poo.

They would vote him in right now if they could.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We'll always have 28-3. :smith:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Shadowhand00 posted:

I'm guessing this might have been asked in here, but does anyone have a copy-paste of the Matt Ryan SAS wiki entry? really want to show my friend.

If it's the usual quote with him, it's on pg. 1 of this thread at the bottom.

Re-watched some of the 2nd and 3rd quarter last night on the island-time replay - there's a play about 2/3 the way through the 3rd quarter that just sums up this game perfectly. It's 4th and 3 or so, and the Falcons DB gives Edelman like a 8 yd. cushion. Game is legit over if they stop them there, as it's on the Pats side of the field. Edelman catches it with no one contesting.

Re: the awful Falcons drive near the end, there's a happy medium between the overly-conservative McCarthyism and the Shanahanigans - do what Bill does: the playcall that is best suited to get you success at that particular moment. There's a reason Matt Ryan was 10/10 on first down and a smelly turd on 3rd down, it's because the defense is set up to stop the pass on 3rd. Use the mismatches, hit them where they're weakest. The Falcons have you shut down on every route over 8 yds? Just dink and dunk them to death with the biggest mismatch, your speedy RB on their LBs. Seriously, I think Brady's only deep ball completion was the miracle to Edelman, he was fairly terrible on the rest, and even his short ball game was off. Dude did not deserve the MVP, despite the yardage record, he played like Alex Smith.

And was someone seriously advocating not trotting out Matt Bryant for a FG under 50 yards? You have to be loving insane, that guy is probably the most clutch kicker for mid-long distance I have ever seen.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

We were young

We were dumb

i was so sure atl was winning by then that i got so drunk that tom brady's comeback ended up wrenching me like a lucid nightmare, and i lack the capacity to look back and analyze what truly happened

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Abugadu posted:

And was someone seriously advocating not trotting out Matt Bryant for a FG under 50 yards? You have to be loving insane, that guy is probably the most clutch kicker for mid-long distance I have ever seen.

the discussion was if they should have just taken a knee three times and kicked instead of the obvious correct answer, three runs with maybe one pass thrown in there to mix it up with ryan firmly instructed under no circumstance can he take a sack

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i mean i was just like

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Abugadu posted:

I think the argument was more that adding just 3 points isn't enough to guarantee a win, or even a tie, with almost four minutes left in the game.

evilweasel posted:

three runs with maybe one pass thrown in there to mix it up with ryan firmly instructed under no circumstance can he take a sack

This is the correct viewpoint to have (and probably was the plan).

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The Falcons defense did themselves no favors trying to hit all the Pats players with killshots repeatedly. Watch the replays and you'll see them tire themselves out and the Patriots start sliding instead of taking the contact

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Abugadu posted:

Dude did not deserve the MVP, despite the yardage record, he played like Alex Smith.

literally no other qb pulls that off last night.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Kyle Shanahan has accepted responsibility for the loss, and was demoted for his failure.

https://twitter.com/49ers/status/828758777595850752

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Abugadu posted:

If it's the usual quote with him, it's on pg. 1 of this thread at the bottom.

Re-watched some of the 2nd and 3rd quarter last night on the island-time replay - there's a play about 2/3 the way through the 3rd quarter that just sums up this game perfectly. It's 4th and 3 or so, and the Falcons DB gives Edelman like a 8 yd. cushion. Game is legit over if they stop them there, as it's on the Pats side of the field. Edelman catches it with no one contesting.

Re: the awful Falcons drive near the end, there's a happy medium between the overly-conservative McCarthyism and the Shanahanigans - do what Bill does: the playcall that is best suited to get you success at that particular moment. There's a reason Matt Ryan was 10/10 on first down and a smelly turd on 3rd down, it's because the defense is set up to stop the pass on 3rd. Use the mismatches, hit them where they're weakest. The Falcons have you shut down on every route over 8 yds? Just dink and dunk them to death with the biggest mismatch, your speedy RB on their LBs. Seriously, I think Brady's only deep ball completion was the miracle to Edelman, he was fairly terrible on the rest, and even his short ball game was off. Dude did not deserve the MVP, despite the yardage record, he played like Alex Smith.

Heh its almost perfect. Someone just needs to find the original matt ryan.jpg and add it back onto the post.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Coldforge posted:

I think the argument was more that adding just 3 points isn't enough to guarantee a win, or even a tie, with almost four minutes left in the game.

This is the correct viewpoint to have (and probably was the plan).

Not a 100% guarantee, but you're making the other team have to get a TD, a 2-pt, an onside, a FG, and an overtime win, which is a tall order, compared to only TD/2pt/OT, given the % chance of recovering onsides that are expected.

Packers had the exact same situation against the Seahawks, and even though they loving blew it, I still don't think McCarthy was unjustified in doing what he did.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Abugadu posted:

Not a 100% guarantee, but you're making the other team have to get a TD, a 2-pt, an onside, a FG, and an overtime win, which is a tall order, compared to only TD/2pt/OT, given the % chance of recovering onsides that are expected.

Packers had the exact same situation against the Seahawks, and even though they loving blew it, I still don't think McCarthy was unjustified in doing what he did.

Yeah, but I don't think anyone expected the league MVP to eat a 12 yard sack, followed by their franchise left tackle blowing a block so badly he was forced to blatantly hold. Just crazy poo poo.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Matt Ryan was a failed 2 point conversion away from Superbowl MVP god drat

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

literally no other qb pulls that off last night.

Russell Wilson already did, a few years ago.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Abugadu posted:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

hmm, yes, no other qb in history could pull off a 7 yds/completion through the air rate and have 2 TD/1 INT against a defense that gassed itself due to the incompetence of the coaching staff.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Coldforge posted:

Kyle Shanahan has accepted responsibility for the loss, and was demoted for his failure.

https://twitter.com/49ers/status/828758777595850752

that's a good pic of shanahan they have there

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I get the smart move was to run the ball & the last thing Atlanta needed was a sack, but wasn't the passing offense working more or less fine up until then? If anything, it seemed like a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation.

Until it broke.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Abugadu posted:

lol no. not at all.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Abugadu posted:

hmm, yes, no other qb in history could pull off a 7 yds/completion through the air rate and have 2 TD/1 INT against a defense that gassed itself due to the incompetence of the coaching staff.

Abugadu posted:

Prove it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Abugadu posted:

brady literally set the yardage record in the super bowl doing it so it would seem they can't

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol no. not at all.

uh. yeah. lol.

The biggest 'what-if' of the game for me is if Beasley comes down with that int in the end zone, and the entirety of Bill-as-coaching-genius comes into question for making the same mistake as Darell Bevell/Pete Carroll.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

evilweasel posted:

brady literally set the yardage record in the super bowl doing it so it would seem they can't

Most offensive plays in a single Super Bowl by one team: 93, Patriots

Most passes in a single Super Bowl by one team: 63, Patriots

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Abugadu posted:

uh. yeah. lol.

the packers' biggest lead was 16.

and if brady throws 4 picks the pats don't win the game so LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002