Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I use the griddle side of my baking steel and I think it does better than cast iron, highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
I really don't rate searing (or anything else) on a griddle pan. My £10 from amazon cast iron frying pan does a far better job than my le creuset griddle pan.

nthing the 'get it hotter than the sun' advice though. I use the wok burner on my stove, which is probably a bit too big for my cast iron and occasionally ignites the oil in it. Also, this Searing Guide is worth a look.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If you're not worried about stripping the seasoning from your cast iron then it's not hot enough to sear a steak apparently

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I usually get it up to 400F or so. (Infrared thermometers are great for actually quantifying how hot your pan is.) That's probably a bit on the cool side for some, but I've had the oil in the pan autocombust before, and I've been a bit gun-shy ever since.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
I've got a cuisinart panini thing with a sear setting. Anyone have luck with with these? ANOVA says it works pretty well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

pgroce posted:

I usually get it up to 400F or so. (Infrared thermometers are great for actually quantifying how hot your pan is.) That's probably a bit on the cool side for some, but I've had the oil in the pan autocombust before, and I've been a bit gun-shy ever since.

I think you're fine at 500°F, the flash point (the lowest temperature it'll catch fire at if you let it come into contact with open flame) of vegetable oil is 621°F, and its autoignition temperature is at 795°F.

Randyslawterhouse posted:

I really don't rate searing (or anything else) on a griddle pan. My £10 from amazon cast iron frying pan does a far better job than my le creuset griddle pan.

I think when dalstrs talks about the "griddle side" of his baking steel, he's talking about a flat surface. Griddle pan = flat, grill pan = lines

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i'm still somewhat new to sous vide and i'm finding that with some frequency, i follow the timing and temp instructions to the letter, but when i remove the meat (or whatever) it has not actually reached the target temperature all the way through. I've been under the impression that reaching that temp is pretty crucial since that's how you ensure safety and consistent results. Is this a common problem, or not a problem at all, or what? Do I just need to make a better effort to ensure that the bagged food doesn't touch the sides of the pot?

e: i have an Anova fwiw

emdash fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 5, 2017

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Have you calibrated your probe thermometer lately? The problem could be on that end.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
no, not recently. I'll check on it

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Does anyone use anything to clean their anovo? Just wondering if I should fill my Cambridge with water/vinegar or something and let it run for a bit.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

emdash posted:

i'm still somewhat new to sous vide and i'm finding that with some frequency, i follow the timing and temp instructions to the letter, but when i remove the meat (or whatever) it has not actually reached the target temperature all the way through. I've been under the impression that reaching that temp is pretty crucial since that's how you ensure safety and consistent results. Is this a common problem, or not a problem at all, or what? Do I just need to make a better effort to ensure that the bagged food doesn't touch the sides of the pot?

e: i have an Anova fwiw

Are you cooking from frozen? Are you letting it come up to temp before you start your timer?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I think you're fine at 500°F, the flash point (the lowest temperature it'll catch fire at if you let it come into contact with open flame) of vegetable oil is 621°F, and its autoignition temperature is at 795°F.

It's that high? I have had two pans I heated up rocket hot for searing that I added vegetable oil too that caught fire after like 2 seconds and this is on a glass electric cooktop. I didn't think my pans were anywhere near that hot but I never checked them with my infrared.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

rockcity posted:

It's that high? I have had two pans I heated up rocket hot for searing that I added vegetable oil too that caught fire after like 2 seconds and this is on a glass electric cooktop. I didn't think my pans were anywhere near that hot but I never checked them with my infrared.

According to my infrared, my cast iron gets 500F-hot pretty fast at around 5.5 on my current glass cooktop. Cranked higher it can easily go over 700F quick. Stainless takes way longer. For comparison though, my previous glass cooktop would probably need to be dialed around 8 to get to 500F.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

theres a will theres moe posted:

Are you cooking from frozen? Are you letting it come up to temp before you start your timer?

No and yes respectively

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I think when dalstrs talks about the "griddle side" of his baking steel, he's talking about a flat surface. Griddle pan = flat, grill pan = lines

Ah, thanks for the translation!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dem Bones posted:

According to my infrared, my cast iron gets 500F-hot pretty fast at around 5.5 on my current glass cooktop. Cranked higher it can easily go over 700F quick. Stainless takes way longer. For comparison though, my previous glass cooktop would probably need to be dialed around 8 to get to 500F.

I was always curious - infrared thermometers rely on emission rates, which are different per material, yeah? Not sure I'd trust it on all materials without testing. If your stainless can go in the oven, I'd put both pans in the oven on the same rack for a good long while and then see what the infrared says.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

polished/not dirty stainless with direct the IR heat back to the glass top which will slow the element toggling on and off. This is also why they don't advise the use of non seasoned carbon steel wok on a glass top unless it covers the entire burner. (woks on a glass top are worthless anyway.) Cast iron does not have this issue, but gets the worst hot spots on a glass top compared to basically any other cooking top. You will not get a good IR reading from stainless steel.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I have a cheapie infrared gun thermometer that has a calibration chart in the manual for various materials. I haven't adjusted it since I only really use it as a cat laser anymore, but the properties of different materials were at least taken into account.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

emdash posted:

No and yes respectively

:shrug: is your meat super thick? :wink:

E: Also, what kittenmittons said. Try another thermometer if you can't calibrate your current one.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 5, 2017

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
I figured someone would explain why it's so wonky on stainless. Thanks! :science:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Does anyone use anything to clean their anovo? Just wondering if I should fill my Cambridge with water/vinegar or something and let it run for a bit.

I regularly have to use vinegar as our water has 18 degrees hardness, it doesn't get much worse, the Amazon has like 4 or something. The limescale build up is insane.
I add a couple splashes of the vinegar to the water fter the cooking is done and the water is down to like 30 Celsius, then I turn on the nova for 5mins again at 30. Afterwards the limescale and any other "grime" is gone.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 5, 2017

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

emdash posted:

No and yes respectively

I have found a lot of recipes seriously underestimate how long it takes food to reach temperature in the middle. For anything thicker than 1 inch I usually add nearly an hour. A pork loin takes more than 2 hours to actually reach 145 internally, and that's only about 2x3 inches oval. I think the first one I did was in there 2.5 hours and was about 141 in the middle. Not unsafe or anything, but not what I was expecting.

Take a look at the guide http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html and the heating tables or pasteurization tables if that's what you're after. Pay attention to the thickness.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 6, 2017

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Dem Bones posted:

I'll definitely have to check my temps then. Apparently my stove gets hotter than I thought it did.

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

Surprised there are not more egg discussions in here. I tried mimicking this based on the Anova article, and it turned out to be a great, easy to make breakfast!

Just take it out of the jar and throw under the broiler for a few minutes to have a hot homemade breakfast that was batched cooked and will reportedly last a week. An 8oz jar will hold 2 eggs plus cheese, 1 slice bacon and vegetables, and cooks completely at 172 for 60 minutes.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Spook posted:

Surprised there are not more egg discussions in here. I tried mimicking this based on the Anova article, and it turned out to be a great, easy to make breakfast!

Just take it out of the jar and throw under the broiler for a few minutes to have a hot homemade breakfast that was batched cooked and will reportedly last a week. An 8oz jar will hold 2 eggs plus cheese, 1 slice bacon and vegetables, and cooks completely at 172 for 60 minutes.

Yeah this is probably gonna become my go-to work day breakfast, I was really happy with how they came out. And for the YLLS crowd, a pint jar will hold 8 eggs easy :getin:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Spook posted:

Jesus, no thanks:
pre:
Nutrition Facts Per Serving (130 g)
Calories 310	Calories from Fat 200
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22g	34%
Saturated Fat 14g	70%
Trans Fat 0g	
Cholesterol 185mg	62%
Sodium 600mg	25%
Total Carbohydrate 9g	3%
Dietary Fiber 0g	0%
Sugars 2g	
Protein 19g	

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

How does starbucks manage to get 9g carbs from butter, bacon, egg and cheese?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rust Martialis posted:

Jesus, no thanks:
pre:
Nutrition Facts Per Serving (130 g)
Calories 310	Calories from Fat 200
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22g	34%
Saturated Fat 14g	70%
Trans Fat 0g	
Cholesterol 185mg	62%
Sodium 600mg	25%
Total Carbohydrate 9g	3%
Dietary Fiber 0g	0%
Sugars 2g	
Protein 19g	

That's about what I was expecting given that it's egg + bacon + cheese with added butter.

taqueso posted:

How does starbucks manage to get 9g carbs from butter, bacon, egg and cheese?

There's random starches in there probably to keep the cheeses smooth and bind the entire thing together (e.g. potato starch in the gruyere and monterey jack, rice starch listed separately)

kirtar fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 7, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

4 oz of cheese would get you pretty close.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Spook posted:

If you like that kind of thing you might want to google oeufs en cocotte/eggs en cocotte. Bacon, eggs, and cheese is alright but it isn't even like a top ten example of the genre.

I'd also suggest just going ahead and getting some ramekins if you're doing this a lot. There's nothing inherently wrong with using jars, but ramekins aren't expensive and are actually designed for this sort of thing---so e.g. they usually have a better ratio of surface area to volume for this sort of thing than jars (in terms of ease of use as a serving vessel, as well as for prep if you're finishing under a broiler).

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
Going to try sous vide pork ribs for the first time. I have two slabs cut into two sections. Can I put two sections in the same bag next to each other or is it better, if it fits, to lay the two slabs next to each other which would be harder to fit into the container. Otherwise I can just put each in its own separate bag.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.cnet.com/news/electrolux-buys-sous-vide-machine-maker-anova-for-250-million/

Electrolux is buying Anova for $250 big'uns

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
one of my thermopops ended up being a degree low in boiling water, so that at least explains a slight discrepancy

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
How would I do something like this. I assume I cook the meat in the sous vide 1st then follow the scoring and cooking the skin side as a final step after cooking. Will the skin/meat hold together for that though? Also curious as to the paste should I put that on before I bag the meat so it marinates while cooking? Other suggestions for pork shoulder welcome because it's on sale at the super market. Ihave no smoker :(
https://food52.com/recipes/3909-matilda-maple-and-garlic-pork-shoulder-with-crispy-skin

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

emdash posted:

one of my thermopops ended up being a degree low in boiling water, so that at least explains a slight discrepancy

Is this accounting for the boiling point decrease based on elevation vs sea level?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Made some 1.5" ribeyes sous vide and wasn't all that impressed. Not much different than my normal method of hot rear end cast iron -> broil method. Does it shine more on cheaper steaks with less fat and more connective tissue?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:rip:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well, there go the discounts I guess. A company like this being bought up has never been good for consumers.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Electrolux gonna make cheap lovely versions of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Electrolux gonna make cheap lovely versions of it.

Up to 5 degrees accurate!