Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

Since the FireTV thread is locked, I need to ask this here. But I was having zero issues with Kodi on my 1st Gen FireTV box last night and when I went to run it this morning it wouldn't load. Just crash back to the Amazon screen. I tried uninstalling it, installing 17, then after that didn't do it installed 16.1 again with the exact file I used before.

Any ideas on why it'd suddenly stop working and even a reinstall not work? I rebooted my FTV FWIW.

edit: Of course by posting I AM NOW A LIAR. Literally tried to launch it ONE more time after hitting post and it came up....
edit2: I'm not a liar, still quitting to desktop.

Same advice I gave above - get your logs - Google "Kodi logs AFTV" if you don't know how - and post it on the official Kodi forums. Someone will usually help fairly quickly especially if it is easy to spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thanks. I hadn't tried unplugging and going from there and I got it. Completely wiped Kodi following the reboot. Hadn't thought to check logs, will do next time. Thanks!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

phosdex posted:

also why was the firetv thread closed?

It's not?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It was, I.swear.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
It was closed for like a week, starting when Call Me Charlie got probated. I was going to PM Thermopyle about it but then I totally forgot about it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah he closed it when he got probated, not sure why.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I never noticed that.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
No announcement yet, but Kodi 17 Krypton has been released.
https://kodi.tv/download/

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Keito posted:

This seems to be the "What's new" page for Kodi 17: https://kodi.tv/kodi-v17-krypton-release-candidate-1/

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Nice, just updated my firetv 2 to 17. I was using 15.2 I think so the new interface is quite the change.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Has anyone personally tried Kodi on Android on that new Pine64 yet?
I'm curious about how well it will work for 4K streaming.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Keito posted:

Yep just appeared on my Nvidia Shield. Kodi crashed on first application start after upgrade, but after i "force stopped" it, it ran up just fine. No obvious differences, but i haven't played in the advanced options yet.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
The Shield works fine with v17, even for 4k, but there are a few things to know that seem to be tripping a lot of people in the Kodi forums up:

Passthrough: If you have been using Passthrough to an AVR for audio and it stops working, make sure you disable "sync playback to display".

--Note this is NOT the same as "adjust display refresh rate" - the former attempts to reconcile audio streams to playback and was mainly useful if you had a lot of, say, PAL content you were playing back on an NTSC TV, or vice versa. The latter will adjust your display to the contents native framerate and is very useful for eliminating stutter with, for example, 24p movies (i.e. most movies), etc. Generally speaking you want to enable adjust display refresh rate in all cases. --

This is actually a fix: If you had it enabled before with passthrough, it just didn't over-ride passthrough but still didn't work. Now it will, and disable passthrough. This apparently is particular to Android devices like the Shield so don't take it as general advice.

Check your advancedsettings.xml file if you use one. A lot of folks may have set one up in the past and forgot about it. Generally speaking you don't need it but if you do and you made changes to video buffer settings, etc. then know for v17 several options have changed. Check http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache and scroll down to the v17/Krypton section.

Or try running without video buffering settings at all, you might be surprised how well the defaults work.

4k:

Here are good recommended settings for using the Shield on a 4k display with v17:

Shield Settings:

Settings > Device > HDMI > 4K 59.940Hz
Set Dynamic Range to Auto

Kodi Settings:

Videos > Playback

adjust display refresh rate = always
sync playback to display = off

Videos > Acceleration (OPTIONAL - Try the defaults first. The settings below allow Kodi to use better hardware and software scalers for content that isn't 4k. The Shield in particular does a good job with the ones outlined below; YMMV with other Android devices or other clients. If you don't use these settings then the Shield itself will do the scaling, which it isn't notably good (or terrible) at. Otherwise you can set the Shield to output 1080p and your display will do the scaling; it may or may not do a better job of it (most cheap 4k TVs won't but it depends). However the latter route means you'll need to switch back every time you want to watch native 4k content (including from Netflix, etc.)

enable HQ scalers = low
allow hardware acceleration - Mediacodec (Surface) = off
allow hardware acceleration - Mediacodec = on
accelerate MPEG2 = HD and up
accelerate MPEG4 = HD and up
accelerate h264 = HD and up

System > Video Output

set GUI resolution limit = unlimited
vertical blank sync = always enabled
OSD Video Settings

While playing a video, go to the OSD > Video Settings

deinterlace video = auto
deinterlace method (SD/software) = yadif (2x)
deinterlace method (HD/hardware accelerated) = bob inverted
video scaling method = lanczos3 - optimised
Be sure to set these as the default for all media! Certain options, such as yadif, will not be visible unless you are watching a video using software decoding.

advancedsettings.xml

Don't forget this step or you won't see the scaler options above. Add to advancedsettings.xml in your user profile directory and restart Kodi. The fanart and imageres elements are optional but enable higher quality jacket art and wallpapers, depending on your source images.

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<enablehighqualityhwscalers>true</enablehighqualityhwscalers>
</video>
<fanartres>2160</fanartres>
<imageres>2160</imageres>
</advancedsettings>

If you really want/need buffering these are good settings for the Shield that I use (can help with wifi connections or large (30GB) BD image rips. Add the below in between the <advancedsettings> tags above:

<cache>
<memorysize>139460608</memorysize>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<readfactor>4.0</readfactor>
</cache>

Have fun! v17 is a really nice upgrade overall and a good one for Android TV devices like the Shield.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I think I may like the new default skin better than Titan. Need to give it another day or two first.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I don't care for the new skin. I think I like to scroll up and down rather than left and right.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I had endless issues with 16 on Windows so was using 15 until today, but it seems to work well :toot:

TomR posted:

I don't care for the new skin. I think I like to scroll up and down rather than left and right.

I like the skin generally, especially the settings menu reorganisation, but I agree with you on the home screen. It's good once you actually click on a main menu option and get a standard list, but when you're just hovered over Movies or TV Shows I find the right hand panel too busy. Doesn't seem to be configurable.

Reminds me of Netflix's UI, which I don't like but I can appreciate others will love it. Touchscreen users especially.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I've been using 17 for a while so I've gotten used to it mostly already, but what still bugs me is that the Recently Added TV list isn't convenient to get to. In the old skin it was right there plain as day when you selected TV, now it's off screen.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Ah my only real gripe was the large catergory buttons (genre etc.) that I'd never use, which was pushing the latest episodes row offscreen.

The latest (unreleased) estuary lets you remove them entirely, but I don't know when it's coming out so I manually updated the skin with the latest from github, and now it's perfect.

Was added late December:
http://github.com/phil65/skin.estuary/pull/180

Edit: No, has messed up some minor list view stuff now because I'm on the wrong version of Kodi. I'll install Confluence until it's officially updated.

gabensraum fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 4, 2017

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Oh god, I'm so hooked on Maximinimalism that I'm scared to upgrade. I should just grow a pair and find a new favourite skin.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone have any idea why Kodi stalls when you shut it down on Android devices ? I've seen it mentions in bug fixes years ago but it's still doing it for me, even with fresh installs.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Does it on Linux too, if you keep it running long enough. I've found that if I only run it for 10-15 minutes, it shuts down quickly, with no complaints. But if it's running for days or longer, I have to kill it if I want to exit. I've never found a cause.

I DID, however, find that one of two things fixed a super annoying problem I've had for a long time. Every version of Kodi (and XBMC) I've run on a Linux box had a nasty habit of keeping one CPU running 100% hot all the time if it was at the main screen. Reports linked this to the scrolling RSS news feed, I don't know if that's true or not. Either way, it annoyed the piss out of me. Today, I took my gaming machine's former high end card and slapped it into my HTPC (may as well use it for Steam games too or something), and upgraded to the latest beta of Krypton, and wouldn't you know it, CPU's almost entirely idle now. I don't know which of the changes fixed it, and I don't care. I'm just happy to have my CPU back. That'll save a bit of money on the power bill!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

G-Prime posted:

Does it on Linux too, if you keep it running long enough. I've found that if I only run it for 10-15 minutes, it shuts down quickly, with no complaints. But if it's running for days or longer, I have to kill it if I want to exit. I've never found a cause.

I DID, however, find that one of two things fixed a super annoying problem I've had for a long time. Every version of Kodi (and XBMC) I've run on a Linux box had a nasty habit of keeping one CPU running 100% hot all the time if it was at the main screen. Reports linked this to the scrolling RSS news feed, I don't know if that's true or not. Either way, it annoyed the piss out of me. Today, I took my gaming machine's former high end card and slapped it into my HTPC (may as well use it for Steam games too or something), and upgraded to the latest beta of Krypton, and wouldn't you know it, CPU's almost entirely idle now. I don't know which of the changes fixed it, and I don't care. I'm just happy to have my CPU back. That'll save a bit of money on the power bill!

Krypton final is out as of a couple days ago!

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I saw that, but it isn't in the Ubuntu repos yet, at least for 15.10, and I just don't feel like doing a manual install for minor bug fixes that won't likely affect me. It'll get in there eventually, and I'll update.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Might be more of a Pi thread question, but how do you update the Kodi on LibreELEC the right way?

edit: nm, I am a dumb

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

wolrah posted:

I've been using 17 for a while so I've gotten used to it mostly already, but what still bugs me is that the Recently Added TV list isn't convenient to get to. In the old skin it was right there plain as day when you selected TV, now it's off screen.

Aw man that's definitely the one I use the most! I figured tons of people use that one all the time, I wonder why they didn't make it more prominent.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
It also removes recently added shows from the list once watched, which is a little annoying if you have more than one person in the home who uses Kodi. I ended up switching to Arctic Zephyr or whatever it's called rather than Estuary.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

wolfbiker posted:

It also removes recently added shows from the list once watched, which is a little annoying if you have more than one person in the home who uses Kodi. I ended up switching to Arctic Zephyr or whatever it's called rather than Estuary.

You can change that in Esturary as well (i.e. keep watched stuff in the list).

I realize Esturary is a fairly major departure from Confluence but as default skins goes it's pretty good, I think, and in line (sort of) with what streaming clients like Netflix, etc. provide.

Completely anecdotal: My wife loves the new skin (I've been using v17 for a few revisions since the beta on my Shield).

Give it a chance and explore the options particularly with the default skins. v17 is a pretty significant Kodi upgrade beyond just the skin(s) changes. If you were looking for "same poo poo, with bug fixes for bugs I didn't even know I had" this isn't it.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Ixian posted:

Give it a chance and explore the options particularly with the default skins.

I do think it looks and feels great overall, but Estuary currently lacks configuration options when compared to other popular skins. That will come, and when it does I'll give it another shot.

edit: sorry you were talking about Kodi 17 generally, thought you meant Estuary.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

AlternateAccount posted:

Might be more of a Pi thread question, but how do you update the Kodi on LibreELEC the right way?

edit: nm, I am a dumb

Just in case anyone else wonders, to update Kodi you update LibreELEC itself. It's an appliance distribution, you don't mess with the individual components. Kodi plugins are the most you change.on your own, and for the most part you install those from a repository so they update themselves anyways.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

transparency! is still the best skin

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

transparency! aeon nox is still the best skin

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I haven't had good luck using the official Backup addon, I wanna export my build but it seems to miss certain elements like some custom backgrounds and stuff, and takes forever to both backup and restore. Any suggestions on that front?

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
This is a bit of a long shot, but does anyone know how to get Kodi to launch through Emulation Station on windows? I've tried a few different things but I'm either to dumb to figure it out, or it just doesn't work. Probably the former.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Anyone have any idea why Kodi won't open on Shield? I had an old version installed, and updated that through the Google Play app. Didn't open, so I went through all the usual stuff: rebooting, deleting and reinstalling, etc.

Staying with SPMC for now I guess.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EC posted:

Anyone have any idea why Kodi won't open on Shield? I had an old version installed, and updated that through the Google Play app. Didn't open, so I went through all the usual stuff: rebooting, deleting and reinstalling, etc.

Staying with SPMC for now I guess.

You are probably going to have to find the app in Settings->apps and clear it's saved data or whatever they call it now.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Arctic Zephyr: Reloaded is the skin of my people.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

How do i configure the new Estuary Skin?

The missus misses (ha), the shortcut we used to have to all recently added movies. I'd like to add it back in as a menu/submenu somewhere.

Also selecting any of the quick jump shortcuts from the main page is annoying, because when you click 'back' it takes you back up through the hierarchy instead of jumping back to the main menu where you clicked it from.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Lowen SoDium posted:

You are probably going to have to find the app in Settings->apps and clear it's saved data or whatever they call it now.

Nothing for Kodi shows up in Settings > Apps, and I can't manually delete the org.xbmc.kodi folder using a file explorer either.

Weird.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Skin chat: Xperience1080 remains the objective best interface for XBMC. It seems the most like a commercially-realised product once all libraries are set up.

I've used it for like four years on my Windows HTPC and when I got an Apple TV4 last month it's the first thing I configured after sideloading Kodi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Slash posted:

How do i configure the new Estuary Skin?

The missus misses (ha), the shortcut we used to have to all recently added movies. I'd like to add it back in as a menu/submenu somewhere.

Also selecting any of the quick jump shortcuts from the main page is annoying, because when you click 'back' it takes you back up through the hierarchy instead of jumping back to the main menu where you clicked it from.

The new skin is pretty nice but I'm going to end up going back to Titan because of Estuary's non-configurability on stuff like this.